Page 60 of 1006 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110160560 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Klaue's Mixtape View Post
    The irony of yall saying I'm lumping all black folks together when yall are doing the same. What about Coogler's track record says Coogler promotes Black dysfunction? There's no need for a Tyler Perry name drop because Coogler is clearly several levels above him. I respect you for saying you're just watching the What If tho.
    Im not lumping anyone with anything, I'm simply stating I won't support a movie just because it has a black cast.
    Because that is how alot of BS happens. Like Coates era BP. It's my personal opinion and if others feel different that's fine. As I have said before, I think the sequel will be successful by Marvel movie standards, however, by BP standards, that remains to be seen and personally I am not on that deal of using a characters name to promote a movie, show, or comic and not feature said character or substantially diminish them in favor of the supporting cast.

Ultimate Member

How yall would rather watch Wandavision than a non T'Challa Black Panther movie.

Dont watch none of Marvel if you're that mad. There's real principle in that. However, picking and choosing to ignore a majority black cast film (that doesnt get that many opportunities for stuff like this anyway)

Its just a laughable take. Give Feige money for this, but dont give Feige money for something predominantly black. I dont get it.
    Those studios BANK on black folks supporting stuff because it has BLACK folks in it. Because they assume that they can toss out whatever and get away with it 95% of the time.

That is how you get Tyler Perry empire with him doing little to improve his craft. Why would he? Nobody is forcing him to improve.

The ISSUE at hand is why would any of us go to see a Black Panther movie and HE is not in it? That is NOT a Black Panther movie. That is a WAKANDA movie.

Same ISSUE that MANY had with Black Panther and the Crew & WOW.

The other shows and movies did NOT decide to not recast Panther. So why punish them for that? Isn't that hurting the black folks on those shows?

Also last time I checked black folks had ZERO issue cherry picking support. John Ridley says HI. The movie Proud Mary says HI. Where was FAKE WOKE and Black feminist for that movie?

Milestone says HI as some of the MAIN folks trashing them back in the day were BLACK FOLKS. Black folks some of whom had books that never made it past issue 1.

Hate watching something is stupid. Some of the people in this thread are acting like the comicgaters that can't stop trashing Captain Marvel and the like.
    Let me correct you-we would be called UNFANS if we didn't do that. Because in the messed up logic of some comic book and fake woke culture-it's our "duty" to support it.

Examples-
    John Stewart fans got CHEWED out for not supporting Hal Jordan & TGLC because the artist said it was a HAL book by not just Hal fans but others. Now some of those SAME folks are boycotting Redjack's Green Lantern because it's about John not Hal.

Black Panther fans have been CHASTIED for not supporting Coats. Static FANS got CHASTIED by others INCLUDING the artist of the book for not supporting that mess.

Everyone else is allowed to NOT support and even be HOSTILE about stuff that they don't like (The Inhumans didn't make themselves toxic). Except US. We are suppose to take all crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Im not lumping anyone with anything, I'm simply stating I won't support a movie just because it has a black cast.
    Because that is how alot of BS happens. Like Coates era BP. It's my personal opinion and if others feel different that's fine. As I have said before, I think the sequel will be successful by Marvel movie standards, however, by BP standards, that remains to be seen and personally I am not on that deal of using a characters name to promote a movie, show, or comic and not feature said character or substantially diminish them in favor of the supporting cast.
    Very true. Supporting stuff just for being Black or having all Black casts is not the standard we should be striving for. There are plenty of movies with majority Black casts that I won't watch.

Same with comics. DC put out a Mr Terrific comic during the Nu52 relaunch that was pretty atrocious. I'm sure they though that just having a Black solo book alone was enough to make it sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    There really wasn't much exploration of MCU wakanda outside of a few pretty shots. There's really no excuse for their wanting to explore wakanda all of a sudden when they didn't with Asgard other than the fact that they think that Blackness is what sold this movie not the story or the characters
    I do agree with this. But at the same time, to some extent i agree with Ekie that Wakanda wasn't shown enough to warrant the line from Feige that it's not only bigger than T'Challa, but was always the intended path and that they were going to focus more on Wakanda and less on T'Challa even of Chad was still around. That's just being dishonest and that actually bothers me more than of he just was honest and said they don't know the best way but they are going to try this route. Instead of pretending something that goes against what he has said in the past

Yes that would be the same thing that we've complained about coats doing for the last 5 years. Now its just in movie form. I didnt purchase a single issue of it and similarly i wont purchase a single movie ticket for the same reason. As one of the few here that hated Cooglers Tchalla (not Bosemans acting) but loved the product I still felt good about seeing it 5 times in theathers and supporting the character Black Panther

Yes that would be the same thing that we've complained about coats doing for the last 5 years. Now its just in movie form. I didnt purchase a single issue of it and similarly i wont purchase a single movie ticket for the same reason. As one of the few here that hated Cooglers Tchalla (not Bosemans acting) but loved the product I still felt good about seeing it 5 times in theathers and supporting the character Black Panther
    Yeah, you've been pretty clear with your views and stuck with them. A lot of people dumped Coates BP with T'Challa in the book so it stands to reason some people aren't going to watch a Marvel comic book movie called Black Panther and it doesn't have T'Challa.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Those studios BANK on black folks supporting stuff because it has BLACK folks in it. Because they assume that they can toss out whatever and get away with it 95% of the time.

That is how you get Tyler Perry empire with him doing little to improve his craft. Why would he? Nobody is forcing him to improve.

The ISSUE at hand is why would any of us go to see a Black Panther movie and HE is not in it? That is NOT a Black Panther movie. That is a WAKANDA movie.

Same ISSUE that MANY had with Black Panther and the Crew & WOW.

The other shows and movies did NOT decide to not recast Panther. So why punish them for that? Isn't that hurting the black folks on those shows?

Also last time I checked black folks had ZERO issue cherry picking support. John Ridley says HI. The movie Proud Mary says HI. Where was FAKE WOKE and Black feminist for that movie?

Milestone says HI as some of the MAIN folks trashing them back in the day were BLACK FOLKS. Black folks some of whom had books that never made it past issue 1.

Let me correct you-we would be called UNFANS if we didn't do that. Because in the messed up logic of some comic book and fake woke culture-it's our "duty" to support it.

Examples-
    John Stewart fans got CHEWED out for not supporting Hal Jordan & TGLC because the artist said it was a HAL book by not just Hal fans but others. Now some of those SAME folks are boycotting Redjack's Green Lantern because it's about John not Hal.

Black Panther fans have been CHASTIED for not supporting Coats. Static FANS got CHASTIED by others INCLUDING the artist of the book for not supporting that mess.

Everyone else is allowed to NOT support and even be HOSTILE about stuff that they don't like (The Inhumans didn't make themselves toxic). Except US. We are suppose to take all crap.
    Agreed. Anytime Im discussing this decision with a random Facebook or twitter mcu fan they always point to the fact that the movie will still have a black character in it as if that is supposed to satiate me.
    When i was new to marvel and looking for a hero to closely follow after being a fan of Cap and the xmen I combed through ALL the black characters and none but Tchalla really stood out for me personally (used to follow Bishop in my Xmen days but we saw how that went).
    Tchalla is exceptional in every aspect of his character and his mythos. It all speaks to me personally as something to aspire to which is what a hero should do. Intelligence, mystery, TRUE leadership and protectiin of his ppl, and plays second fiddle to no one. Being black is icing on that cake. That is something Kevin Feigie isnt understanding also Coogler imo. Neither appreciates the character individually as evidenced by early interviews but they love the blackness. I dont buy based soley on that.
    Get me writers, editors, directors, and producers that love Tchalla like the white creators love Batman/Spiderman ect.

Like flex always says Tchalla STILL doesnt have a point man in Marvel comics or in Marvel's MCU despite ppl playing with the goldmine that is his franchise.
    Last edited by Ekie; 01-27-2021 at 05:59 PM.

How many Batman movies, TV shows and animated series did they have before they made Gotham? Combined there were probably over 15. We all saw how World of Wakanda crashed.

DC didn't do a "Gotham at Night" series right after the 1st Batman solo. BP doesn't have that cache yet.

Ultimate Member

The irony of yall saying I'm lumping all black folks together when yall are doing the same. What about Coogler's track record says Coogler promotes Black dysfunction? There's no need for a Tyler Perry name drop because Coogler is clearly several levels above him. I respect you for saying you're just watching the What If tho.
    To DEFINE black dysfunction-it is the showing of only ONE side of the black community. Mainly that which festers on black stereotypes. While questioning or REJECTING those projects that off another view point of black life.

While Coogler and others like Robert Townsend, McDuffie and Peele have not FEASTED on that. OTHERS like Tyler have.
    See Empire, Chi, Snowfall, Greenleaf, ANY black reality show, Power and others to varying levels.

While those who DARED to veer from that face a TOUGHER battle.

See Milestone-Why did the WB want a Static Shock series with a WHITE Static? Or a black one without a FATHER?
    Mario Van Peebles offered a script and got told the black family needed to be in the GHETTO.
    Another black writer wanted to do a book about a black skateboarder-she was told there was no such thing as black skateboarders. Mind you Stevie Williams was already famous as the FIRST ever skater to be sponsored by Reebok. Lets not forget Kareem Campbell and his Axion shoes.

Let writers at Marvel have guys like Thor and Cap America visit Wakanda and showcase it as dysfunctional or show the Doras arresting BLACK MEN for Rape camps or them going off on Panther about it EVERY time.
    Or we see Miles at school in class talking about Wakanda and he gets asked about what does he know about it aside from Panther-he says "they got rape camps."
    Or a new student at Moon Girl's school and class is a Wakandan girl who was raped or was a sex slave at age 9.

FAKE WOKE will throw a FIT. Because those writers are NOT black. Yet when guys like Coates do it-it is defended.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I like Wakanda and what it represents so I would definitely go see a movie about it and its many peoples...even if the Black Panther isn't "starring" in it.
    And...
    For the millions of movie goers who never ever picked up a Comic book, far less a Marvel Comic book, far far less a Black Panther comic book prior to the movie release...the "Blackness" or more accurately the "African-ness" had quite a lot to do with their interest and appreciation. And that will probably, most likely, be true for the second movie.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Astonishing Member

Agreed. Anytime Im discussing this decision with a random Facebook or twitter mcu fan they always point to the fact that the movie will still have a black character in it as if that is supposed to satiate me.
    Straw man.

Get me writers, editors, directors, and producers that love Tchalla like the white creators love Batman/Spiderman ect.
    You've had them, just because you disagreed on their direction didn't make their respect for BP any less valid. You think every Batman and Spider-man creator who loved those characters had a home run every time? No. Many had controversial and bad runs. I hated Loeb's Batman, for instance. Many people didn't like Slott's run on Spider-man and he loves Spider-man.

Like flex always says Tchalla STILL doesnt have a point man in Marvel comics or in Marvel's MCU despite ppl playing with the goldmine that is his franchise.
    Because that's a not a position that's in media. There are numerous people across various media and sub-groups within those companies, like the comic division, who use their power to protect and advance characters but it's by not a single position. Coogler would be this for Black Panther in the MCU but he doesn't get a say in what goes on in the comics, as well as whoever writes the title and the Avengers and FF if BP is on it at the moment. Aaron's on Avengers right now and Slott's on FF. Editors are involved, too, but thats corporate politics and not every character is protected as they should be.

Intelligence, mystery, TRUE leadership and protectiin of his ppl, and plays second fiddle to no one.
    How are Sam Wilson (Avengers, Team Captain America), Misty Knight (Heroes for Hire) and Monica Rambeau (Avengers, Next Wave) leading their groups fake leadership?
    Last edited by Steel Inquisitor; 01-28-2021 at 03:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I like Wakanda and what it represents so I would definitely go see a movie about it and its many peoples...even if the Black Panther isn't "starring" in it.
    And...
    For the millions of movie goers who never ever picked up a Comic book, far less a Marvel Comic book, far far less a Black Panther comic book prior to the movie release...the "Blackness" or more accurately the "African-ness" had quite a lot to do with their interest and appreciation. And that will probably, most likely, be true for the second movie.
    So by that logic...Tyler Perry goes to Wakanda then. Personally ill pass.

For the record this isnt the first movie to advertuse utself as "Black". It is the first movie to advertise the first black superhero ever though. So if all those noncomics fans aren2 putting up similar or even comparable numbers in other "Black" movies then what is really going on?
    Last edited by Ekie; 01-27-2021 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    And...
    That's fine and all, but you can't have a superhero comic adaptation movie without the superhero. This isn't star wars or GoT. This is the Black Panther which focuses on the character T'Challa. And yeah the movie will be successful for a marvel movie, but as for a BP sequel movie?... We will see

That's fine and all, but you can't have a superhero comic adaptation movie without the superhero. This isn't star wars or GoT. This is the Black Panther which focuses on the character T'Challa. And yeah the movie will be successful for a marvel movie, but as for a BP sequel movie?... We will see
    At this rate, if they don’t use the multiverse to bring in a different T’Challa, then we might just have to wait another decade for a reboot to actually see his story play out in full. Which blows.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    At this rate, if they don’t use the multiverse to bring in a different T’Challa, then we might just have to wait another decade for a reboot to actually see his story play out in full. Which blows.
    Lol you think they’ll reboot? Honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if the MCU in its current form just kept chugging right along, in which case I don’t know if we’ll ever see T’Challa on the big screen again. Hate to be a downer but the MCU money machine doesn’t seem to be slowing down.