Page 72 of 1006 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374757682122172572 ... LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 15079

Quote Originally Posted by Maine Starfish View Post
    I definitely think eventually they will re-cast T’Challa, but I’m good with them not trying to push that just yet, yes I know he’s the black panther, but Coogler did an excellent job with the first film, so I’m willing to see what he does with the next film, even if it doesn’t have T’Challa

And then who knows, maybe for the third film, they can have a new actor playing the character again, by then it will have been 6-7 years
    That’s what I’m hoping for. Heck earlier we were talking about how they can set the film during the 5 years between infinity war and endgame, that way you can tackle the theme of grief.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

I personally think The Crown would be a better fit for a template rather than GoT. I know the parallels between BP and GoT are obvious but The Crown isn't R-rated at all, and since it's based on the British monarchy it's less about which character is gonna die and more about exploring the burden of royalty and it's significance in a modern world. The Crown doesn't shy away from Britain's imperialistic and conservative history, and how the expectations of royalty affected people differently. The film already established that King T'Chaka and his brother Prince N'Jobu had different views on Wakanda's place in the world. Why not use that as the overarching theme if the show is set in the past? Show that Wakanda was always an exceptional nation but that it's tradition of isolationism and xenophobia caused conflicts within the royal family, within different tribes and if you want to get really bold with it, with different countries. Show that some other African leaders may have known the truth about Wakanda but explore the ways the past rulers and Black Panthers kept this a secret.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    This is why I push back against the idea this was motivated by money and not emotion. I can 100% buy Disney would go in your direction because it probably disrupts their plans a lot less than killing off or otherwise sidelining a character that was being positioned as the lead of their new generation. But I can also buy them kowtowing to what Coogler wanted because he was emotionally devastated by Boseman’s passing and wanted to use the sequel to memorialize his friend.
    Disney want MONEY and this is before Covid-19.

Disney understands what they don't do SOMEONE else will and steal the thunder. It could be a Static movie or even a movie version of that Lupin show on Netflix.
    They don't have time for feelings. They will toss that film set during the snap and have John Boyega in that suit screaming "Rey" for Black Panther 3-if it means sniffing a billion.

Now why they won't recast DESPITE having how many versions of James Bond & Dr Who is another story. Dr Who had to be recasted because the first guy was ill.

Where is T'Challa's campaign? Where are the young, talented black actors showing their passion on the internet?
    There are none. We have more folks begging to be John Stewart, Static, Miles Morales, Storm, Vixen and even a drag queen version of Dr Who.
    With some doing high quality shorts as Static to prove that they can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    I gave John David Washington as an example. He's the top choice from everyone and yet his own words essentially boil down to "No one can replace Chadwick Boseman." Did you purposefully ignore that part?

I never said I know anything. I asked questions that that themselves question the validity of the idea that there are many black actors who actually want the role. I need us to understand that us saying on a forum that an actor can do something doesn't mean that said actor wants to do that very thing we say he can do. Saying JDW or any other actor can play the role now doesn't mean that right now they actually want to. I could say that you would be a great violinist, and theoretically you could be a great violinist if you put in the right amount of time into it. But do you want to be a violinist? I don't know, maybe you do, maybe you don't. But it would be wrong for me to say that you want to be a violinist simply because I said so. Do you understand the point I'm trying to make?

Respectfully, that's not how the burden of proof works. You are the one that first said "There are many talented young black actors that would jump at the role." You're reasoning for that is because they all want money and fame. When I then asked you to name these actors, you're now telling me you don't have proof. So you're contradicting yourself now? Because the statements you made were written definitely as if they were facts, but when asked to present evidence of your factual claims, now you don't have proof?

Where is the evidence that all actors want money and fame? Actually now present to me a substantial amount of young black actors that are acting for money and fame alone, since you say it's "facts" that it's all the want. And I never said no actor wants this job. I asked you to name the actors that you know want the job, since you said there are many. Surely you can name one at least. Surely they will be campaigning on social media, no? That is what many up-and-coming actors do on social media these days. Simu Liu who was cast as Shang-Chi campaigned on Twitter, and Asian actors also campaigned. Where is T'Challa's campaign? Where are the young, talented black actors showing their passion on the internet? You're the one that said they exist so the burden of proof is not on me but on you, since you first made the claim. I rebutted it by asking for evidence, because currently literally no actor is even talking about this role publicly. Meanwhile I've already provided evidence that the top choice probably won't do it.

I think some of you are purposefully ignoring that I've said multiple times that I want a recast, so I'll say it loud and clear:

I, Blind Wedjat, want a recast of the role of T'Challa in the MCU. As a BP fan I don't think it's fair that my favourite character is being shelved despite the truly unfortunate circumstances. I want a recast and I think Aldis Hodge would be a great choice. I also think Atandwa Kani (who played Younger T'Chaka) would be a good choice too. I wished Marvel at least delayed the film so it'll give people time to accept a new choice or that T'Challa may or may not be coming back anymore.

Now, just because that's what I want, doesn't mean that it's gonna happen. It doesn't mean that the parties involved to make it happen will see things the same way that I do. I think Aldis Hodge would be a good choice, but Aldis Hodge might not want to do it out of respect right now. Or, he might not want to do it because he doesn't want to deal with being compared to someone else. Or maybe he thinks there would be too much controversy and backlash. Or maybe he would feel intimidated as the new guy coming to lead a tightly knit cast and crew. Those are all possibilities that you guys are deliberately choosing to ignore for your own personal reasons. You're acting like actors aren't human beings that will just do whatever their told for money. And Black Panther isn't the only role for black actors that exists, you know? And that's just on the actor alone, without considering what the cast wants, what Coogler wants and what Feige wants.
    All seriousness aside, for you to think black actors aren't willing to do whatever they're told for money...???? You have seen some of these classics: Soul Plane? Three strikes? Dolomite? No, what about B.A.P.S.? Almost any movie with Monique, Snoop Dogg, or Mike Epps.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    All seriousness aside, for you to think black actors aren't willing to do whatever they're told for money...???? You have seen some of these classics: Soul Plane? Three strikes? Dolomite? No, what about B.A.P.S.? Almost any movie with Monique, Snoop Dogg, or Mike Epps.
    Don't forget Norbit, Pootie Tang, Belly, just to name a few.
    Last edited by Dboi654; 02-02-2021 at 03:52 PM.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dboi654 View Post
    Don't forget Norbit, Pootie Tang, Belly, just to name a few.
    Okay so that's the standard we're working with then? Any ole actor that's been in whatever movie should be our next T'Challa, right? That's how desperate we are?

I never even said black actors won't do anything for money. Y'all are trying to poke holes in a non-existent argument. I'm asking the one who is implying recasting is an easy process because there are "many talented young black actors who will jump at the role" to present their names since he claimed they exist. Because they sure are hella quiet now.

It's quite clear that the implication is that recasting is such an easy process because there replacements are there and willing and able, but Marvel is refusing to recast to personally spite us and hurt our feelings. I'm trying to tell y'all that Marvel doesn't really give a **** about us Black Panther fanboys' feelings. They care about what their director thinks, what the cast thinks and what the general public (AKA "where the money resides") thinks. Right now none of those groups are on our side. So it's not about you and it's not about personally ruining your fun, because those groups' feelings are valid too. Arguably more valid than ours.

I don't like it, but I've made my peace with it.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    There are none. We have more folks begging to be John Stewart, Static, Miles Morales, Storm, Vixen and even a drag queen version of Dr Who.
    With some doing high quality shorts as Static to prove that they can do it.
    Someone gets it.

I gave John David Washington as an example. He's the top choice from everyone and yet his own words essentially boil down to "No one can replace Chadwick Boseman." Did you purposefully ignore that part?

I never said I know anything. I asked questions that that themselves question the validity of the idea that there are many black actors who actually want the role. I need us to understand that us saying on a forum that an actor can do something doesn't mean that said actor wants to do that very thing we say he can do. Saying JDW or any other actor can play the role now doesn't mean that right now they actually want to. I could say that you would be a great violinist, and theoretically you could be a great violinist if you put in the right amount of time into it. But do you want to be a violinist? I don't know, maybe you do, maybe you don't. But it would be wrong for me to say that you want to be a violinist simply because I said so. Do you understand the point I'm trying to make?

Respectfully, that's not how the burden of proof works. You are the one that first said "There are many talented young black actors that would jump at the role." You're reasoning for that is because they all want money and fame. When I then asked you to name these actors, you're now telling me you don't have proof. So you're contradicting yourself now? Because the statements you made were written definitely as if they were facts, but when asked to present evidence of your factual claims, now you don't have proof?

Where is the evidence that all actors want money and fame? Actually now present to me a substantial amount of young black actors that are acting for money and fame alone, since you say it's "facts" that it's all the want. And I never said no actor wants this job. I asked you to name the actors that you know want the job, since you said there are many. Surely you can name one at least. Surely they will be campaigning on social media, no? That is what many up-and-coming actors do on social media these days. Simu Liu who was cast as Shang-Chi campaigned on Twitter, and Asian actors also campaigned. Where is T'Challa's campaign? Where are the young, talented black actors showing their passion on the internet? You're the one that said they exist so the burden of proof is not on me but on you, since you first made the claim. I rebutted it by asking for evidence, because currently literally no actor is even talking about this role publicly. Meanwhile I've already provided evidence that the top choice probably won't do it.

I think some of you are purposefully ignoring that I've said multiple times that I want a recast, so I'll say it loud and clear:

I, Blind Wedjat, want a recast of the role of T'Challa in the MCU. As a BP fan I don't think it's fair that my favourite character is being shelved despite the truly unfortunate circumstances. I want a recast and I think Aldis Hodge would be a great choice. I also think Atandwa Kani (who played Younger T'Chaka) would be a good choice too. I wished Marvel at least delayed the film so it'll give people time to accept a new choice or that T'Challa may or may not be coming back anymore.

Now, just because that's what I want, doesn't mean that it's gonna happen. It doesn't mean that the parties involved to make it happen will see things the same way that I do. I think Aldis Hodge would be a good choice, but Aldis Hodge might not want to do it out of respect right now. Or, he might not want to do it because he doesn't want to deal with being compared to someone else. Or maybe he thinks there would be too much controversy and backlash. Or maybe he would feel intimidated as the new guy coming to lead a tightly knit cast and crew. Those are all possibilities that you guys are deliberately choosing to ignore for your own personal reasons. You're acting like actors aren't human beings that will just do whatever their told for money. And Black Panther isn't the only role for black actors that exists, you know? And that's just on the actor alone, without considering what the cast wants, what Coogler wants and what Feige wants.
    I don't think anyone, Disney, Coogler, Feige, etc etc ANYBODY, should of made a decision at all until ATLEAST now pretty much. They should of said the movie is on hold for the moment (with this D+ Wakanda show now being the perfect opportunity to let time pass for a recast) to let people come to terms and heal. I have said from day one I didn't have a specific person in mind AND that even with a recast they should of waited still. Ultimately the film should of delayed and not tried to make a tight deadline with the passing of the star.

Also I will say, there aren't any other Black characters as big or as important as T'Challa. Straight up. It would be big shoes to fill hence where time to heal plays into it. And I do doubt there isn't any one out there that wouldn't want to play T'Challa. That is a huge opportunity to represent something truly great for Black people. But time is why we don't see it.

Edit:

Also another reason we don't see people campaigning either is also due to Disney as well. By how much they have went on about how no one can replace Chad and he is irreplaceable, he will always be the true king etc etc. It's pretty much sealed off any chance for anybody to be able to step up and try because they essentially have stacked the deck against anybody. Nobody will touch it and they couldn't even if they wanted to after time has passed because Marvel has ended Chad's trailblazer legacy.
    Last edited by Ezyo1000; 02-02-2021 at 04:40 PM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Prolly going to let Aaron finish his story before worrying about it. BP fans can buy Avengers.

If he even gets a book. I don't think there is a single non-Xmen related book of a character that isn't in the MCU or going to be very soon.
    No eh! You see the latrine that book has become, lately? I'm not going anywhere near that cesspit.
    If it takes 6 months, a year...I'll wait. I'll be impatient but I'll be reading my X-books until there's word of a relaunch.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 02-02-2021 at 04:57 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Mighty Member

I have enough tact not to talk on social media about how I'd love to take over the role of T'Challa. But if I had the chops and Disney called up and offered me for the role I'd say hell no! How disrespectful to the memory of Chadwick......lol.
    Last edited by MouserGrey; 02-02-2021 at 06:22 PM.
    Reality is for those who are afraid of science fiction.

Well...

Back in the day my mother owned and ran her own theater company!

Of course this meant I nor my siblings had to audition for any roles (nepotism on fire) and sometimes mom just forced it on us if you hadn't moved out of the house yet!

But sometimes due to unforeseen circumstances an actor was late or flat out quit or was fired and an understudy moved up in that position or quite literally actors who knew every line had to Hollywood Shuffle it on the fly!

Many of times I jumped on stage from the light and sound booth and had to Amatuer Night at The Apollo my way through whatever was cooking on stage!

The Show Must Go On...

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com...how+must+go+on

Chadwick Boseman was a man of theater so you figure out what he would have wanted for this character regardless of emotion!
    Get Hectic!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Except he's dead so...doesn't care either way.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    I don't think you're wrong or necessarily saying anything unpopular but a GOT-style direction has merit imo. You make a good point that the mature content in GOT helped up its appeal (especially among casuals) but I think a well done World of Wakanda series could take that basic structure and do something great with it in its own way. A show about an ensemble cast from different institutions and walks of life all tying into some grand story deciding the fate of an afrofuturist kingdom has potential. With or without sex scenes and decapitation lol.

If anything I think the bigger barrier the show would face is how deep they can go into the politicking and power plays. GOT had really complex political maneuvers but you can't really pull that on what would basically have to be a kids show. And like you said, you're basically inventing storylines out of thin air if you go in that direction, all Coogler really has to work with is the lore. You're right that a GOT-inspired World of Wakanda series would basically be a kiddy-version of that series, but if it's pulled off right it might be something great despite that. One could argue it may even have more appeal.
    Coogler doesn't have to work with the lore. He didnt do it in the first movie why would he now? They are already talking about bringing in a brand new character to the movie (which is usually fine but odd to make an announcement about it). Who at marvel cares enough about the lore to tell him no? Feigie? We just read his statement on the importance of Tchalla to the story of wakanda. He is happy so long as his diversity project sells. Thats about it. Same with the comics editors. Money is all that matters unless its a character whose lore they have person interest in protecting.
    Last edited by Ekie; 02-02-2021 at 06:57 PM.

Okay so that's the standard we're working with then? Any ole actor that's been in whatever movie should be our next T'Challa, right? That's how desperate we are?

I never even said black actors won't do anything for money. Y'all are trying to poke holes in a non-existent argument. I'm asking the one who is implying recasting is an easy process because there are "many talented young black actors who will jump at the role" to present their names since he claimed they exist. Because they sure are hella quiet now.

It's quite clear that the implication is that recasting is such an easy process because there replacements are there and willing and able, but Marvel is refusing to recast to personally spite us and hurt our feelings. I'm trying to tell y'all that Marvel doesn't really give a **** about us Black Panther fanboys' feelings. They care about what their director thinks, what the cast thinks and what the general public (AKA "where the money resides") thinks. Right now none of those groups are on our side. So it's not about you and it's not about personally ruining your fun, because those groups' feelings are valid too. Arguably more valid than ours.

I don't like it, but I've made my peace with it.

Someone gets it.
    Ive seen actors asking to play the role online. And even then thats a poor metric and not at all how the process generally works (especially doing it publicly after a death because it looks vulturesk.). So youve still yet to make a valid arguement outside of twisting Johns words into a statement that hes unwilling to play the part in the future. He coild be cast tomorrow, post that same Chad is king statement and no one would bat an eye.
    Also the idea that we are the minortiy is without proof. Unless youve done a poll?

The tide is clearly turning the more you read comments on the articles coming out. Time will do that...and will continue ro do that the further we get from the loss.
    Last edited by Ekie; 02-02-2021 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MouserGrey View Post
    I have enough tact not to talk on social media about how I'd love to take over the role of T'Challa. But if I had the chops and Disney called up and offered me for the role I'd say hell no! How disrespectful to the memory of Chadwick......lol.
    you mean you dont want millions of dollars and worldwide fame leasing to other roles? How about if they threw in a complementary autograph from both hulk actors, all three spiderman actors, and Deadpool!?

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Except he's dead so...doesn't care either way.
    his brother does.