Page 778 of 1006 FirstFirst ... 278678728768774775776777778779780781782788828878 ... LastLast
Results 11,656 to 11,670 of 15079

Until we find out what a "nation devastated" I just want a story about T'Challa leading Wakanda into everything it can and should be with a proper follow up of what Hickman started instead of the umpteenth story with it in shambles or they all hate T'Challa. Also a more Priest T'Challa who also likes being king.

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Not feeling it. I can't quite put my finger on it, but something seems off.

Then again, I'm a cynical bastard these days...

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I don't think Wakanda will be physically devastated, I think it's more in terms of the fallout from the secrets T'Challa has been keeping and what he's been doing to cover them up.

I wouldn't be shocked if the Wakandans tried to exile him for it.
    And that is exactly what worries me, are we going to have another "Wakanda in strife story/ Remove T'Challa from the throne" story again? We literally just had that happen.

If it's something that they are shocked to learn what he has been doing and the threat he is facing and the consequences of his actions like Priest did it. Okay fine, but I really don't want to see him lose the throne again so soon

Quote Originally Posted by KingNomarch View Post
    Until we find out what a "nation devastated" I just want a story about T'Challa leading Wakanda into everything it can and should be with a proper follow up of what Hickman started instead of the umpteenth story with it in shambles or they all hate T'Challa. Also a more Priest T'Challa who also likes being king.
    I dunno of I would say Priest T'Challa liked being King perse, more so he was absolutely dedicated to the role of King and wielded all the power that came with the crown with deadly efficiency and skill. I would say Hudlins Panther liked being King and showed the most care about his people

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by KingNomarch View Post
    Did Priest's T'Challa like being king? I think he accepted the responsibility and took the good with the bad, he just didn't cry about it all the time like Coates' version did. There was a mental toughness with Priest's T'Challa that makes him seem more content than he probably actually was if you look at everything he went through in that run.

By no means did he resent the job but I think Priest's T'Challa saw being king as his best way of serving Wakanda and following the will of his dad, but he never embraced the throne.

That's compared to Hudlin's BP who I think actively enjoyed ruling and arguably liked being a hero even more. But that was a vastly different take on the character, T'Challa had a wife, a positive sibling relationship, and less stress. Hudlin's BP was the happiest the character has ever been so T'Challa enjoying his role as king makes sense.

I think Ridley's BP will probably be more along the lines of Priest with some Hudlin thrown in there. I don't think Marvel wants to make T'Challa as dour and depressed as he was under Coates but I doubt we're gonna get a T'Challa that has no qualms about the pressures of ruling either. Like most things in comics it's a balancing act and Ridley's got a lot to prove to fans burned by the last few years that he can manage it.

Astonishing Member Klaue's Mixtape's Avatar

@EscaflowneClown
    The MCU really failed T'Challa when I think about it more and more. I hate that for us comic readers Lol. #BlackPanther

RobertD
    @RobertD1905
    Replying to
    @AlexCrossFader
    and
    @EscaflowneClown
    He had less screentime than antman. He had less screentime than Iron man in his first movie, All Tchalla screentime makes 65 minutes.
    https://twitter.com/RobertD1905/stat...33148930/likes
    Man I hate this sh*t.

Tweet
    See new Tweets
    Conversation
    Fille funny und Wakandan
    @FilleSo
    This is why I always say: the Black Panther franchise would be better if it was outside the MCU
    Just give us a variant T'Challa doing his own thing in a tv series.
    Last edited by Klaue's Mixtape; 10-01-2021 at 11:49 AM.

Astonishing Member Klaue's Mixtape's Avatar

Admitting being vulnerable doesnt mean you're "crying" about it.

Like I get it if thats not your favorite verison, but we gotta change the way we view/describe things.
    Last edited by Klaue's Mixtape; 10-01-2021 at 12:28 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Klaue's Mixtape View Post
    Admitting being vulnerable doesnt mean you're "crying" about it.

Like I get it if thats not your favorite verison, but we gotta change the way we view/describe things.
    But that’s what happened lol. Coates’ T’Challa had a penchant for tears and complaining, more so than any version that preceded him. It’s why his T’Challa was generally the most weak-minded of the modern era and why most writers ignore that portrayal when they want to write a half-decent T’Challa. There’s nothing disrespectful about it, I can see what some like about that version but those are my thoughts (and the thoughts of many fans).

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    Not feeling it. I can't quite put my finger on it, but something seems off.

Then again, I'm a cynical bastard these days...
    I think it is the cynical side going, "welp, T'challa is a screw up again and everyone hates him. Here we go again."

Coates run pain runs DEEP.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Did Priest's T'Challa like being king? I think he accepted the responsibility and took the good with the bad, he just didn't cry about it all the time like Coates' version did. There was a mental toughness with Priest's T'Challa that makes him seem more content than he probably actually was if you look at everything he went through in that run.

By no means did he resent the job but I think Priest's T'Challa saw being king as his best way of serving Wakanda and following the will of his dad, but he never embraced the throne.

That's compared to Hudlin's BP who I think actively enjoyed ruling and arguably liked being a hero even more. But that was a vastly different take on the character, T'Challa had a wife, a positive sibling relationship, and less stress. Hudlin's BP was the happiest the character has ever been so T'Challa enjoying his role as king makes sense.

I think Ridley's BP will probably be more along the lines of Priest with some Hudlin thrown in there. I don't think Marvel wants to make T'Challa as dour and depressed as he was under Coates but I doubt we're gonna get a T'Challa that has no qualms about the pressures of ruling either. Like most things in comics it's a balancing act and Ridley's got a lot to prove to fans burned by the last few years that he can manage it.
    I pretty much agree with this.

Priest Panther is much more complicated than some people act in here. They remember the bad ass stuff like punching Mephisto and forget the more vulnerable moments.

Priest can just write comics lol. the problem with... recent.... writers is that they can't. So you get nothign but the vulnerable and the "T'challa sucks!" moments and no highs. Just low after low after low after low after low.

I would argue t'challa in Aaron's run is the opposite. Nothing but highs and bad assery but it feels almost hollow at this point because there is no clouds, just sunshine. But team books are always a little different than solo betrayals. And honestly, after the dour writing in his solo hte last 6 years, just watching T'challa be bad ass in Aaron's runs is a welcome reprieve.

I'll 100% give Ridley a chance

(but that storm issue is going to be an early litmus test lol)
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Toonstrack View Post
    Very excited for the comic. It should be interesting seeing what direction they go. Very likely will incorporate elements of the past run but I'm also hoping Ridley takes it in his own direction. Ridley is a good writer and usually has a clear voice with his characters, something im looking forward to hearing.
    If people are curious about Ridley's work they can check out
    Secret History of the DC Universe a 5 issue prestige mini series that he wrote.

It's not a typical comic book as it's a first person bio of various POC Superheroes in the DCU.

From that series you can get a sense of his style.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post

Priest talks about it on his old blog but his T'Challa didn't like being king and didn't see himself as king and more of a overseer because becoming king came at the price of his father's life, robbed of his childhood and put in charge of a country at the age of 12. The issue of Priest's run where T'Challa kills Klaw got into more detail on his feelings on the topic. But since Hudlin's run T'Challa hasn't been king for 20+ years since S'Yan ruled instead.

T'Challa assumed the throne at about age thirteen when his father, King T'Chaka, was murdered at the hands of Ulysses Klaw. From that day forward, King T'Challa dedicated his life to maintaining the safety and welfare of the Wakandan state, often at the cost of is own personal life and relationships. T'Challa has lived his entire life in the shadow of him who is called "The Great King," his father T'Chaka. He views himself as, largely, a caretaker of his father's legacy, an overseer of his father's lands. In rare moments of self-criticism, T'Challa will typically fault himself for not living up to his father's legacy.
    https://digitalpriest.com/legacy/com...ther/cast.html

Nothing about the comic promo inspires my dollars. Not the tease of another Panther unaligned with his people story, and certainly not the art.

So I guess that’s it for the comics, now I'll await a trailer or some definitive news from the film side.

I’m also holding out hope for Marvel’s new animation efforts.

To be honest

I'm not worried about wakanda devastated because I am sick of Wakanda lol.

If T'challa was more like Namor (where Atlantis is barely plot relevant), I would't hate it.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

I like the art. Not my favorite or anyhting but it works.
    If Ridley's Panther has Priest elements I'm all in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    I like the art. Not my favorite or anyhting but it works.
    If Ridley's Panther has Priest elements I'm all in.
    I agree. The same people who can’t wait to say they aren’t into it, will be the same ones complaining about there not being enough Black Panther comics. Well you didn’t support when they tried, so that’s why.