Page 8 of 1006 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108508 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I disagree. I think if RDJ or Chris died after Avengers or Winter Soldier, they wouldn’t have recast.
    The thing with Black Panther, is that we’re now in a post-Infinity War and Endgame MCU fame.

You’re right they would have been replaced after Iron Man 1 and First Avenger, if they died, but by those other points, Feige wouldn’t have replaced them. Those actor were too far in the zeitgeist.
    Chad didn't make it to the sequel. And I wouldn't call 1 solo movie and showing up in a few scenes in cw, IW and EG as enough to completely shelve the character. Especially when you take into consideration that during this time frame T'Challa has "died" once in his movie, died in IW, and now they want to perma kill him off come hos sequel?? And this is supposed to be the story about the GOAT BP?

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    His tone may not light hearted but he's hardly going against the popular sentiment here, he's just playing to the crowd about what view any non-T'Challa will be. It's why he gets a free pass mocking T'Chlla's replacement as Luke Skywalker but as soon I bring up someone like Nakia I'm told to get out of the thread for being off-topic. Please, those characters won't be welcomed in open arms - they're just pretenders like Luke Skywalker as the narrative goes. Especially Nakia, Shuri gets more respect as a successor than she does despite the fact it's about MCU Nakia, not 616 Nakia.

Boseman didn't quit over a pay dispute and why is how big an impact he had on pop culture as T'Challa in a universe which isn't being rebooted after he left being overlooked? Boseman made a bigger impact than every Batman actor put together for his own franchise, and became an icon himself - coupled with the symbolism and history T'Challa represents, shows literally die when the recast actors like this and there is no safe option for Disney to pursue since anything they do will be weaponised against them. The MCU didn't end after Boseman left, this isn't the pre-Nolan Batman films where continuity barely exists and the actor playing Batman is changed so often nobody cares. None of their actors died, either. It's not "all of the sudden" this is an incredibly difficult road for them to go down and every thing they do is getting torn apart. We also live in a post Gamergate world, whoever picks up the mantle and that includes recasting T'Challa gets in their crosshairs, making it even riskier. Not only is a billion dollar franchise is on the line, there's also the cast and crew who people think they personally hate Boseman since they're not recasting him despite the fact he's their friend and work colleague and everyone has their one opinion on how to honour Boseman. Read up on what happen when ledger died with Joker, even Nolan wasn't going to risk the backlash of recasting that role and he was untouchable in that time period in Hollywood. But no, it's all simple people just pick any black actor and they'll be fine, no pressure. It's stunning how out of touch this is with Boseman impact on the world when he was T'Challa here, he may as well be the very alive Terrance Howard with this argument.

The T'Challa in the comics also isn't played by an actor, they could kill and resurrect him any time they like and he'll be bought back because he's a fictional construct not being portrayed by a real person who died from cancer.
    No one asked you to leave for talking about Nakia. We have discussed the character just fine in this thread historically. We just dont have much interest in the character since this isnt an MCU thread and shes virtually non-existant otherwise. Why should we pretend to care about the character above Tchalla when thats never been the case in the 17 years ive been posting in this thread? She or anyone else not named Tchalla shoehorned into his role will obviously not have his support or following. That includes Shuri (a character withought solid definition since her 2005 creation)

If just anyone can be under the mask no matter how nonsensical or forced the reasons are then the characters stories dont matter. Its just generic MCU fun. Which is what Tchallas MCU franchise is now relegated to. A big what if story hoping to fill seats with representation starved black viewers.
    I dont see why you are offended

Also, I love Bosemans work. But Lets not pretend that his star power wasnt elevated by playing Tchalla. Not the other way around. Im sure hed be happy to see another young Black actor get that same big break by doing the same. Imagine what playing Tchalla would do for Denzels sons star power? I believe Boseman once stated that there would be no Black Panther without Denzel Washington. That would be a way to avoid killing off Bosemans legacy and replacing him with a side character destined to fail any attempt to co-opt Tchallas legacy and story. His legacy lives on in the opportunities he began with the character.

Characters (Tchalla) sell merch, get games, and cartoons

Not ideals (Wakanda).

Long term, this franchise is set back by any side character devoid of development placed into the leads role. Nakia has never sold a single comic and lupita on her own name recognition isnt bigger than the property. I'm not sure why people are running with this idea that as long as they put the Black Panther costume on *insert side character* all of black panthers aka Tchallas fans are going to translate right over and by Nakia halloween costumes and actiin figures. She existed in Black Panther 1 as Nakia. Existing in Black Panther 2 as Tchallas substitute isnt going to change her drawing power.
    Last edited by Ekie; 01-04-2021 at 09:47 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Chad didn't make it to the sequel. And I wouldn't call 1 solo movie and showing up in a few scenes in cw, IW and EG as enough to completely shelve the character. Especially when you take into consideration that during this time frame T'Challa has "died" once in his movie, died in IW, and now they want to perma kill him off come hos sequel?? And this is supposed to be the story about the GOAT BP?
    I’m saying the MCU-Avengers brand wasn’t fully formed in the public’s zeitgeist until the Avengers film. They’re the most profitable movies of all time now. So now T’Challa after BP1 was in a grander spectrum than Iron Man 1 or First Avenger was, in the pop culture scope.
    Last edited by Will Evans; 01-04-2021 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Secret Mission.

Or maybe we'll get lucky and they'll change their mind by then, and do some reshoots
    I can only hope that they will recast by the third movie.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    They're probably gonna say he died between Endgame and BP2. Then if they wanna recast for BP3 they'll use the multiverse or revive him via KOTD. They could get around the issue altogether by just setting the film during the Snap, but that would require a retcon of Shuri's character as we know she was dead during that period.
    I wouldn't even say that he died. One of the greatest MCU characters died off screen?

They're better off saying that he's missing on a mission in space and have a Wakandan team go searching for him.

I’m saying the MCU-Avengers brand wasn’t fully formed in the public’s zeitgeist until the Avengers film. They’re the most profitable movies of all time now. So now T’Challa after BP1 was in a grander spectrum than Iron Man 1 or First Avenger was, in the pop culture scope.
    I also don't think if Brie larson passed away before her sequel that they would just drop Capt marvel and replace her with a supporting Cast member either.

Extraordinary Member

I also don't think if Brie larson passed away before her sequel that they would just drop Capt marvel and replace her with a supporting Cast member either.
    Monica Rambeau’s right there!

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

At this point I'm pretty worn out discussing Marvel's choice to recast T'Challa or not. However, I'm getting less enthusiastic and more irritated by the day of seeing the suggestion of John David Washington as a possible replacement. The only reason everyone seems to be on board with this is that he's Denzel Washington's son and Denzel and Chadwick had a relationship, and not because John David has actually done anything with his acting career to show he is even comparable to Chadwick in acting calibre or would make a great T'Challa/Black Panther.

I've heard Denzel Washington talk about Chadwick in his passing and how much he meant to him, and the last thing I expect him to do is start parading his son around as a suitable replacement for the man. I don't think it would be seen as honourable as some people actually think it sounds or looks. And John David Washington has already indirectly suggested he'd never do it if he was asked.

Personally, I watched Tenet recently and aside from one action scene, I really wasn't all that impressed with him (though perhaps it might also be of a consequence of the kind of material he was given to work with). I really don't see him in the role at all. No offence to him, but he still comes across as a younger but inferior version of his father, and not as a distinctive actor in his own right.

Ultimate Member

Monica Rambeau’s right there!
    And if you thought the PUSH BACK to Larson lead by a former DC employee to the tune of 40+ hours of attacks on youtube was something. Put Monica in that suit.

Folks will forget Monica was Cap Marvel like they forget Batman has been 4 white guys while they stealth insult Tim Fox or stealth insult John Stewart.

All they see in the post gamergate, gators, Obama era and Trump era is a movie with a BLACK WOMAN as the lead. Claws are OUT. Same as it would be if Shuri or Nakia took over.

How is it we can get multiple batmen, supermen, Spidermen. But somehow a black male character is all of a sudden it's the Highlander now?
    Easy-is all those cases the original was still running around.
    Those other versions (excluding Terry & Japanese Spider-Man) were restricted to COMICS only.

The only way it makes sense to me is if Coogler and the rest of the cast truly felt they could not continue the film as originally planned without Boseman.
    With all DUE respect you find someone who CAN.

Find me someone who can give me a Black Panther while Coolger and the rest do a Wakanda spinoff. That way you now have explained why he is MIA in Coolger's movie.
    Who says we can't have 2 movies?

Which begs the question of where they got the impression that a recast would hurt the sequel's success and why they needed to make a decision either way so soon after Boseman's death.
    Aside from the usual suspects who never CARED about Boseman but can't HELP but use his death to attack Disney and Coolger.

Unless there is another movie that Disney views as a threat. Now who would that be? Only guys we know with movies are Spawn and Static. Unless we are getting live action Miles Morales.

You guys do know Monica is a character in WandaVision, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    At this point I'm pretty worn out discussing Marvel's choice to recast T'Challa or not. However, I'm getting less enthusiastic and more irritated by the day of seeing the suggestion of John David Washington as a possible replacement. The only reason everyone seems to be on board with this is that he's Denzel Washington's son and Denzel and Chadwick had a relationship, and not because John David has actually done anything with his acting career to show he is even comparable to Chadwick in acting calibre or would make a great T'Challa/Black Panther.

I've heard Denzel Washington talk about Chadwick in his passing and how much he meant to him, and the last thing I expect him to do is start parading his son around as a suitable replacement for the man. I don't think it would be seen as honourable as some people actually think it sounds or looks. And John David Washington has already indirectly suggested he'd never do it if he was asked.

Personally, I watched Tenet recently and aside from one action scene, I really wasn't all that impressed with him (though perhaps it might also be of a consequence of the kind of material he was given to work with). I really don't see him in the role at all. No offence to him, but he still comes across as a younger but inferior version of his father, and not as a distinctive actor in his own right.
    Yeah I'm Good with dropping it again. At this point it's been beaten to death and nothing is going to change discussing it more. It's just wait and see.

I don't know who would be a good recast and so I never try to give my opinion, bit I know there are capable people out there. That's all I'm going to say

Fantastic Member TrooperCameron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TrooperCameron View Post

Quote Originally Posted by TrooperCameron View Post

*sigh*

Yeah I'm Good with dropping it again. At this point it's been beaten to death and nothing is going to change discussing it more. It's just wait and see.

I don't know who would be a good recast and so I never try to give my opinion, bit I know there are capable people out there. That's all I'm going to say
    I think we've all said everything that we can say. If anyone wants to go through that again, they should just start a new thread.