Page 996 of 1006 FirstFirst ... 4968969469869929939949959969979989991000 ... LastLast
Results 14,926 to 14,940 of 15079
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Had the movie not done what it did and made Shuri Humorous Tech Gal comic relief, you would have gotten instead Hudlin and Mayberry's Shuri who is (basically) a more violent T'Challa with boobs.

In an action movie.

That would have taken even more of T'challa's shine away given how the story went. That version of Shuri certainly (for example) would not be content to be an observer during the T'Challa v. Killmonger fight. She'd have probably tried fighting him herself. Or tried to get revenge on the solo tip after the fact.

Frankly, T'Challa as a explicit developer of tech was only ever really a thing for Mayberry (and D. Liss Panther making stuff with household items). For nearly every other writer it was implied or after the fact. At some point he made hard light armor or energy daggers, but we readers never saw it ( barring some prequel series that came out in the last 6 years that I never saw). So it's not that bad. Twitter over reactions aside.

Shuri wasn't that violent early on. While one could argue that Hudlin's run lacked depth in some areas, particularly with character development, you can't say that with Shuri. She was more like an impetuous child in her introduction. In her first real life or death fight against Radioactive man, when she killed him, she was in shock and cried. Her being more violent than TChalla came much later.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    ... Should I whip out my fully descriptive list I made regarding ALL the functions of the tech I listed above? Because its covered in there
    *looks at page number*. Go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    Is there a writer that has Stripped Away more of T'Challas important achievements snd personality/traits than him? Look at the discourse online right now.
    Repeat after me: "Movie T'Challa isn't comics T'Challa."

You can claim that the characters should be the same, but if we are going to play that game, I'll counter with Thor, Doctor Strange, Spider-Man, Wasp, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, bloody Star-Lord, and Drax.

They are different universes. What is depicted in one doesn't affect the other, except when the comics editors try to grab some of that sweet coin.

Had the movie not done what it did and made Shuri Humorous Tech Gal comic relief, you would have gotten instead Hudlin and Mayberry's Shuri who is (basically) a more violent T'Challa with boobs.
    Or something else entirely, because the movies aren't the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by KingNomarch View Post
    An Iron Man annual was the first time where he was giving Killmonger that work and not get effortlessly folded like he did by McGregor.
    Shout out to my man GILLIS for being the most underrated T'challa writer out there.

Did more in 5 total issues than most did in entire runs.

(I like Red Zone Though lol)
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

The general take away from the casual audience was that Litterally anyone can be Black Panther thusly T'Challa isn't needed since the movie imo failed to establish why T'Challa is the chosen one. All they saw was three ppl wear the suit (because MBJ HAD to) and then the position be offered up like a hot potato to everyone else after T'Challa "died" in his debut movie.
    Have you polled people on this? It feels like you are greatly overstating a minority opinion to be reflected by the majority.

In an action movie.

That would have taken even more of T'challa's shine away given how the story went. That version of Shuri certainly (for example) would not be content to be an observer during the T'Challa v. Killmonger fight. She'd have probably tried fighting him herself. Or tried to get revenge on the solo tip after the fact.

Frankly, T'Challa as a explicit developer of tech was only ever really a thing for Mayberry (and D. Liss Panther making stuff with household items). For nearly every other writer it was implied or after the fact. At some point he made hard light armor or energy daggers, but we readers never saw it ( barring some prequel series that came out in the last 6 years that I never saw). So it's not that bad. Twitter over reactions aside.
    They would have throne Okoye out of the movie essentially. Okoye would be similar to the current MCU Ayo instead at best.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Well they see a former comic book and an action figure that features Shuri as Black Panther. That is all they needed to see. Hello black girl magic.

It does not matter how little or even how it does not make sense-they just see HER and all those women and suddenly it's a mantle and you don't need T'Challa.

Because the agenda is there. Same mess with Black Lightning and Stranger Things.

It would not have matter if they showed T'Challa smarter than URKEL in the 80s.

Those writers (and editors) would have IGNORED it. Because as Redjack said elsewhere pandering to a certain demographic.

Falcon-the guy who talks to birds. How many species of birds are on EARTH?
    Flint (Inhumans)-controls Earth and moved a PLANET once.
    Synch-do we REALLY want to go there with HIM???
    Thunderball-folks forget he's a genius.
    Prodigy-this was one of the dangerous guys on Earth yet it seems his sexuality is all that matter now.
    Alex ********making deals with demons.
    Cyborg-how much do we rely on technology that HE can control?
    Why does Static keep needing HELP?? The guy who trained himself, made his own stuff and took out Hotstreak, Holocaust and others with NO HELP. Now he needs Richie, Hardware, Black Lightnings, Daisy, Damon and others?

Because SOMEONE has an issue showing competent and self sufficient black males.
    Heroes having large support networks these days isn't something limited to black males. It's become more common ever since writers decided it was more interesting to have the supporting cast contribute to the story in ways besides being threatened by the villains.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post

You can claim that the characters should be the same, but if we are going to play that game, I'll counter with Thor, Doctor Strange, Spider-Man, Wasp, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, bloody Star-Lord, and Drax.

They are different universes. What is depicted in one doesn't affect the other, except when the comics editors try to grab some of that sweet coin.

If one didn't affect the other then I wouldn't care whatsoever. But we all know that's not the case. The only reason I care is because it's bleeding into everything already

If one didn't affect the other then I wouldn't care whatsoever. But we all know that's not the case. The only reason I care is because it's bleeding into everything already
    That's a fair cop. But to be honest, that's not Coogler's fault. Marvel editorial just can't resist sampling just enough of the MCU to tickle the fancy of moviegoers, while still holding to the claim that they are driving the stories.

(If you don't believe me, ask yourself why all of a sudden the Eternals are big players in 616, when they've usually been fringe players before. Or why Shang-Chi suddenly has his first ongoing in decades.)

Astonishing Member

That’s legit the only reason this convo is still relevant lol. If the MCU was actually treated like it’s own thing instead of setting the standard for how every other piece of Marvel media operates it’d be easy to ignore the decisions that take place there.

I’d rather not discuss the movies because I feel we’re talking in circles with the usual bad actors and such but it’s kinda impossible to discuss the comics at this point without acknowledging the influence they tend to have on editorial’s choices. Still mostly gonna ignore this convo though lol, we got a decent BP ongoing and that’s worth far more to me as a fan than a movie that doesn’t appeal to me. I’m much more interested in discussing that.

Speaking of which, to the point about the lack of force push so far, I’m fine with it. T’Challa’s not fighting the type of villain that would require that and as others have said, outside Coates it’s not really treated as a core of his fighting style. And Coates only used it so much because he wrote dogshit action, it was 100% a crutch. Hence why even when we do see other writers use it, it’s actually applied well.

Maybe when those rock monsters from the first issue return we’ll see T’Challa use it but right now I don’t think the proper response to super secret assassins is omnidirectional explosions. If anything this is a chance to highlight other forms of Wakandan tech. We see a bit of that with Shuri at the crime scene but I’d love to see Wakandan medical tech analyze the bodies of these villains or something.
    Last edited by chief12d; 12-30-2021 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Have you polled people on this? It feels like you are greatly overstating a minority opinion to be reflected by the majority.
    Venture onto social media like Facebook or Twitter and have conversations with people. I'm not saying it's the majority opinion because I have no way of knowing I'm just saying it's a far far too common takeaway
    Last edited by Ekie; 12-30-2021 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaue's Mixtape View Post
    You're too smart of a guy for your opinions on this topic to be this bad.

Like I said man Im here to talk. Lets find our where you went wrong or too far. We can steer you in the right direction. I know you wanted T'Challa's movie to basically be Blade. Total badass, in control and a clear understanding that no one comes close to being as good or as interesting as the main character. However, you cant be living this life upset over what you wanted vs. what it was. Lets work through the issues.
    Really the two things that would of made the movie perfect would of been T'Challas intelligence kept in tact (seriously how frakking hard would it of been to give T'Challa credit for being able to transport vibranium via making it inert? He frakking did it in the comics) and it being his idea to open Wakanda with Nakia being he sole supporter of that.

Those are the two most damning things about the Movie. Those two things vastly change MCU T'Challa from the polymath warrior prep king with a ton of nuance we know in the comics, to basically black captain America. The sequel was the place to fix it however,if this is where T'Challas journey ends then the MCU will have failed to reach T'Challas potential and that IS unfortunately on Coogler.

By trying to give everyone agency, he took the biggest defining traits form T'Challa and gave him to the supporting cast and that was a huge misstep. Especially because Erik was trying saying the same thing but with more flare behind it (because he's the villain) so people remember that more than Nakia saying it.

Which again, shows why she should not of been the one to say it but been T'Challas biggest supporter and the only one believing in him and in it.

That's a fair cop. But to be honest, that's not Coogler's fault. Marvel editorial just can't resist sampling just enough of the MCU to tickle the fancy of moviegoers, while still holding to the claim that they are driving the stories.

(If you don't believe me, ask yourself why all of a sudden the Eternals are big players in 616, when they've usually been fringe players before. Or why Shang-Chi suddenly has his first ongoing in decades.)
    Not everything is Coogler's fault. He admitted he didnt get the draw of the character and it showed but did a good job with everything else. As with BlackPanther comics I blame the editors taking a hands off and uncaring approach when it comes to minority properties like w/ Coats. They need to either hire ppl who value and understand the property or actually edit and keep the story intact. Coogler did what he always does.

Quote Originally Posted by XJlock View Post
    Ewing and Aaron did used them. Also, Coates and Narcisse (during Rise of the Black Panther against Barnes).

The daggers should always be standard equipment. They're so versatile

Habit - absorbs kinect vibrations and most energies, cloaking, and transforming technology. Bullet proof and stab proof.

Anti metal claws - can cut through nearly all metals at the molecular level

Energy blades (formerly known as energy daggers) blades made of pure energy. Can transform into any bladed weapon (as well as Hickmans purple boxing gloves). Has stun, kill settings. Can adjust frequency to match other energy sources and can disrupt cosmic energies (Al Ewings Ultimates)

Force push - energy absorbed through the habit can be redistributed through out the habit via Omni wave, frontal cone, transfer through some materials, and used to temporarily enhance physical attributes (running, jumping striking)

Kimoyo beads- wearable Super computer. Can hack any system within mere minutes. Tracking, communications etc. Can turn into a full functional super computing system (Al Ewings Ultimates)

Energy dampening boots - can weaken the integrity of metals through vibrations, can fall 8 stories and land without a sound, with enough momentum he can walk on water or run up walls. Excess Kinect energy is stored in the boots and disperse put to prevent habit overload

Energy dampening boots - can weaken the integrity of metals through vibrations, can fall 8 stories and land without a sound, with enough momentum he can walk on water or run up walls. Excess Kinect energy is stored in the boots and disperse put to prevent habit overload [/B][/QUOTE]

Great breakdown. I really like the boots. But I always felt that just 8 stories was lackluster. I wish it was more like 15 stories, or maybe something about it’s properties that help him survive greater falls and land on balance.