Page 27 of 57 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    It should be Jumpa, but knowing Warner/DC it'll probably be Pegasus or some generic mythic creature. Yawn.
    Or maybe Ferdinand

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    The way I heard it--and these are just rumors, too--was higher-ups at DC had been pushing for Wonder Woman to have a father for years. Azzarello was just the guy who pulled the actual trigger. And allegedly (again, rumors) some of the ideas for who the dad should be were really bad, so he ran with Zeus because he figured that would be the least offensive.
    I suppose mileage will vary on whether he was right about that.

I do think there's validity to the rumor DC was trying to force the dad issue for a while. I don't think it's a coincidence shortly before Daddy-Zeus came about we saw the DCAU tease Hades might be Diana's father, and during Gail Simone's run Cottus declared he's technically Diana's father because the clay she was made from came from him.
    I always got the impression the actual writers weren't into it, which is why in both instances Diana just dismisses it and doesn't care in the slightest.

If I had to bet, I'd wager Dan DiDio was a big part of it. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Geoff Johns had a hand in it, too.
    And I can totally see a bunch of these guys agonizing over Wonder Woman not having a father because god forbid a woman be powerful because of other women or on her own terms.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was a DiDio initiative since New 52 was his baby and attempt to put his stamp on the DC Universe in a lot of ways and that was one of the big things that came out of it in the early days of it.

I can't imagine a worse option than Zeus.

Johns was heavily pushing this idea of Diana being disconnected from everyday people during the build up to Infinite Crisis and he also portrayed her as overtly aggressive and overly controlling of Cassandra and outright hostile to Starfire during his Teen Titans runs. His Diana in those books were a precursor to the Nu52 WW.

I don't think every attempt to give Diana a father were connected. I think a lot of dude's have this anxiety of a female character not having a father figure. Ironic because many of those same dudes have no problem with emphasizing Sam Lane, Jim Gordon and John Zatara's importance in their respective daughters lives while outright ignoring the importance of their mother figures. Who is Lois Lane's mom again?

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post

Johns was heavily pushing this idea of Diana being disconnected from everyday people during the build up to Infinite Crisis and he also portrayed her as overtly aggressive and overly controlling of Cassandra and outright hostile to Starfire during his Teen Titans runs. His Diana in those books were a precursor to the Nu52 WW.

I don't think every attempt to give Diana a father were connected. I think a lot of dude's have this anxiety of a female character not having a father figure. Ironic because many of those same dudes have no problem with emphasizing Sam Lane, Jim Gordon and John Zatara's importance in their respective daughters lives while outright ignoring the importance of their mother figures. Who is Lois Lane's mom again?
    Is that really irony, though? Isn’t it exactly the outcome you’d expect from writers with that attitude?
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    Is that really irony, though? Isn’t it exactly the outcome you’d expect from writers with that attitude?
    Well, I was imagining that those writers would defend their take by saying 'but a girl needs their father' while being ignorant of their own blind spot of ignoring mother figures in their narratives.

You guys think we will ever have the clay origin again or at least something else close enough?

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    You guys think we will ever have the clay origin again or at least something else close enough?
    We’re about to get one with Historia.

But if you mean in the ongoing again, I’d say anything is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Main continuity? Who knows. It’s popped a variety of times in out of continuity stuff that post-dates the Daddy Zeus origin; LOWW, some of the YA books, etc.

Going by some of KSD’s tweets, she’ll probably use the clay origin in Historia

I hope that sentence made sense.

All the people that seemed to enforce the Daddy Zeus thing are gone. Dan Didio, Azzarello and Geoff johns have nothing to do with Wonder Woman comics anymore.

This next arc by Cloonrad might tell us a lot about where DC stands with the origin. She is in Olympus right, and will meet several gods. If there isn't any mention of Diana being the daughter of Zeus then it means DC might not care very much about it at the moment.

I don't think DC will revert her origin until after WW3. I mean, both movies only have one single line about Diana being the daughter of Zeus, but they still aren't gonna create that kind of disparity between movies and comics.

Ultimately, I have a feeling that it will only be reverted once they decide to invest in the lesbian aspect of the Wonderverse.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post

Truer words ain't never been spoken..... it's so ridiculous and i can't relate to it in any way, but sadly here we are

Happy Superman Day.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

The best artist working today.

Bonus points for still looking like Diana but without the tiara.