Page 25 of 57 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

You seem to be implying that depicting Diana like a female wrestler is somehow more sexist than depicting her like a normal woman.

I don't think being tall and bulky is something masculine. One could certainly say that it's most common in men, but it's not inherent nor defined by gender. I don't see why you are implying that being well built is less truthful than being built like a fitness model. And being tall and big is generally considered physical superior. It has nothing to do with gender or with approximating women with men.

A lot of the ways Diana was supposed to challenge gender norms in the 40s still apply to the world of today. But a lot are also outdated. For example, the amount of skin that Diana showed was supposed to be transgressive, but it's not really transgressive anymore in a culture where there are so many depictions of revealing women, both powerful and weak.

I would say her being built like someone that actually trains her strength every day allows her to be an even more transgressive figure (and I think we can all agree the amazons must have trained Diana to her limits). I know Superman's strength doesn't come from the size of his muscles, but it's about what it conveys in action. Women have always been excluded from this type of action oriented physiology, and I think it makes a powerful statement to have a character like Diana that would logically have that type of physique, also cross the barrier of being built in a way usually only afforded to men.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    You seem to be implying that depicting Diana like a female wrestler is somehow more sexist than depicting her like a normal woman.

I don't think being tall and bulky is something masculine. One could certainly say that it's most common in men, but it's not inherent nor defined by gender. I don't see why you are implying that being well built is less truthful than being built like a fitness model. And being tall and big is generally considered physical superior. It has nothing to do with gender or with approximating women with men.

A lot of the ways Diana was supposed to challenge gender norms in the 40s still apply to the world of today. But a lot are also outdated. For example, the amount of skin that Diana showed was supposed to be transgressive, but it's not really transgressive anymore in a culture where there are so many depictions of revealing women, both powerful and weak.

I would say her being built like someone that actually trains her strength every day allows her to be an even more transgressive figure (and I think we can all agree the amazons must have trained Diana to her limits). I know Superman's strength doesn't come from the size of his muscles, but it's about what it conveys in action. Women have always been excluded from this type of action oriented physiology, and I think it makes a powerful statement to have a character like Diana that would logically have that type of physique, also cross the barrier of being built in a way usually only afforded to men.
    I'm saying that the portrayal of her, or the Amazons, as such is steeped in the misogyny in which those stereotypes were originally applied to the real/ mythological Amazons. That they ( Amazons of myth) were portrayed as such because *clearly, if they bested male warriors, they must be like men themselves* ( speaking in the voice of ancient warrior men) . I prefer not to perpetuate that specific trope when it comes to DCs Amazons. The falacies of the Amazons of myth get applied to DCs Amazons too frequently. They are their own unique thing.

And that in a lot of representations, for women to be portrayed as " strong" or " capable" or " kickass" , they have to lose a sense of the feminine. Remember James Cameron's comments about Gal and Patty's portrayal of a strong female character vs his portrayal of a strong female character in The Terminator? Again, the trope that if a woman is to be strong or an action hero, she has to be more like a man,

Is being strong, muscular, or tall only found in men? No, but they are traditionally considered masculine characteristics. . Is being small, slim, or soft only found in women? No, but they are traditionally feminine characteristics.

There are lots of shades and shapes of what a woman is and can be, and how stregnth is portrayed, and all of them are right. And as i mentioned, we already have examples of the " wrestler" or " body builder" type in the DC universe. But not every example has to be that. And since her powers are basically magic, she doesn't have to have a body that reflects that level of power. I actually think she looks stronger when performing feats of strength while not having a bodybuilder body...lol.

We can have various portrayals of various tyoes in various characters. And I prefer Diana to be more like Gal, or Perez, or pre Crisis portrayals of a body type vs She Hulk or PowerGirl.

Marston created his Diana as someone athletic but not lumbering or bulky. His specific pov was to offer a counterpoint to the overt masculinity in comics at the time. So isn't it more subversive for her to be the opposite bodytype of what is expected of a physically strong woman?

This conversation is bringing in too many topica so let's narrow it down. You provided two examples of "muscular" Super heroines. I can think of maybe one more, Big Barda. But that's it. There are no other famous muscular characters. And in case you didn't notice, none if them are flagship characters. She Hulk is the most famous of the three. So one more famous character, specially someone like Diana that is equally seen as gracious and splendorous could help a lot to expand in positive ways the depiction of the female body.

Ultimately, the route of your argument is just, it's not what you grew up with and you orefer to keep things as they are. I can't tell you you're wrong. I can just say that I find the designs of a muscular Wonder Woman to be exciting and bold (not bodybuilder, olympic wrestler) and wish others would be as open to it.

Guys Dc is doing Super pets animated movie I hope this means Jumpa will appear

It would be cool but I'm not expecting it.

Happy Birthday to one George Perez

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Guys Dc is doing Super pets animated movie I hope this means Jumpa will appear
    I assumed they'd use Batcow (for laughs) or Streaky alongside Krypto and Ace, but I'd love for Jumpa to be there.

I'll cry if they turn Tawny into a pet, though.

spoilers:
    Wonder Woman be slapping Thor over at DC followed by Power Princess punch Thor over at Marvel.

It’s really not Thor’s week.
    end of spoilers

The one thing i liked about Heroes Reborn Power Princess was her interstellarportal that looked like a magic mirror. Would be a neat idea for Wonder Woman.

Doesn't Hippolyta have a magic mirror to view Man's World? Maybe that was the inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Doesn't Hippolyta have a magic mirror to view Man's World? Maybe that was the inspiration.
    Oh yeah, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    spoilers:
    Wonder Woman be slapping Thor over at DC followed by Power Princess punch Thor over at Marvel.

It’s really not Thor’s week.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Hot dang! The look on her face is like, "why did he toss it so slow?"

Makes me miss the days when Marvel and DC would collaborate. Diana and Storm fused together to create Amazon was cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    It would be cool but I'm not expecting it.
    I truly find hard to believe that a Superpets film would have no room for a Wonder pet (and Jumpa is THE Wonderpet). Then again, it is WB, so who knows?

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Thats a REALLY GOOD WW costume.