Page 5 of 57 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Maggie Q sounds good, it's just like with a lot of the League there's only so much she's allowed to do.
    I don't think that's a bad costume redesign.

Though if they're gonna give Diana a shield could they at least make it bigger.

Mighty Member

I suppose in Young Justice, out of the trinity Wonder Woman gets the least with Batman having the most (in a series that has little leaguer screen time as it is). Superman had his issues with having a clone of him (that he got over), it seems all Diana gets to do is call Bruce out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    I suppose in Young Justice, out of the trinity Wonder Woman gets the least with Batman having the most (in a series that has little leaguer screen time as it is). Superman had his issues with having a clone of him (that he got over), it seems all Diana gets to do is call Bruce out.
    That's what Diana's relationship should be with modern Bruce.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    That's what Diana's relationship should be with modern Bruce.
    Hey SOMEONE has to do it. Also, I'll give the show's Wonder Woman credit as a modern interpretation that keeps the made from clay birth.

Diana was sculpted from clay as an infant on the island of Themyscira in 1925. She adopted the name Wonder Woman, and became a superhero, in 1941. She fought in World War II, and joined the All-Star Squadron the same year. During this time, she went by the alias "Diana Prince".

She went back to Themyscira in 1946, but returned in 2001. Her current residence is Washington, D.C.
    (I kind of wish we got a series on this)

Jeff Parker

80 years old and still looks good

Here’s a link to a great retrospective of Wonder Woman throughout the past eras of DC titled Wonder Woman Historia. It analyzes her creation and her handling. Really fascinating insight into Diana, as well as how badly DC has messed her up: https://www.comicbookherald.com/author/rbabu/page/3/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Here’s a link to a great retrospective of Wonder Woman throughout the past eras of DC titled Wonder Woman Historia. It analyzes her creation and her handling. Really fascinating insight into Diana, as well as how badly DC has messed her up: https://www.comicbookherald.com/author/rbabu/page/3/
    I was watching that episode of Justice League Unlimited where Diana teamed up with Hawk & Dove. The lesson Diana had to learn that episode was "violence isn't always the answer"...

I'm not against Diana using violence if she has too, and combat has always been apart of her character in some form or another. But the fact those writers felt that was a lesson Diana ever needed to learn to begin with shows how little of her personality they based off the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I was watching that episode of Justice League Unlimited where Diana teamed up with Hawk & Dove. The lesson Diana had to learn that episode was "violence isn't always the answer"...

I'm not against Diana using violence if she has too, and combat has always been apart of her character in some form or another. But the fact those writers felt that was a lesson Diana ever needed to learn to begin with shows how little of her personality they based off the comics.
    Yeah, in some behind-the-scenes interviews on the creative process, they stated they didn’t really want to go with a version of Wonder Woman based on previous versions like Lynda Carter or George Perez because they didn’t think it would have mixed with their show or that they didn’t consider there to be a quintessential version of Wonder Woman, so outside of some fairly surface level stuff they didn’t really look to the comics for how they did Diana.

Rich Fogel: She’s a little bit younger and more innocent than we’ve seen her in the past. She is literally the princess who’s fresh off the island—she’s never been off Themyscira before—and so she has a shock of culture coming out into Man’s World and her expectations of how people should behave towards her are different. It makes her a lot of fun to deal with because she’s haughty, but she’s also innocent. And, she also has issues with her mother.

Bruce Timm: She was probably the most challenging character of all of them in this show. Everyone else we kind of figured out who they were pretty easily, but we had a lot of discussions about Wonder Woman. With Batman, you could easily say “Batman: Year One, that’s the Batman we want to do," but with Wonder Woman we couldn’t really point to any previous version of Wonder Woman and say, “Well, yeah, that’s Wonder Woman.” We had to say, “Well, is she Linda Carter? Is she the George Pérez Wonder Woman? Is she Xena?” And none of those things worked exactly for what we wanted to do with the show. So the personality as just described by Rich is kind of what we came up with.
    All this just does for me is that Timm just contributed to the myth/talking point of “Diana is too hard to write for” and a Bat-fanboy really shouldn’t have been in charge of deciding “there’s no one thing you can point to and say ‘Wonder Woman”.
    Last edited by Gaius; 02-07-2021 at 07:39 AM.

Lol, I like how they say there's no version of Wonder Woman that's defining and then list a bunch of version of Wonder Woman that are defining. Was their goal to make a version of Wonder Woman that's defining? Maybe using "haughty", "innocent" and "mommy issues" isn't a good place to start.

I like Justice League Unlimited, but the more I watch it the more I realize all the women are just aggressive with a sprinkle of other personality traits to set them apart from each other. Wonder Woman, Hawkgirl, Black Canary, Vixen, Huntress, Supergirl they all punch first and ask questions later.
    Granted some of them are actually like that in the comics, and I feel like they let Hawkgirl grow out of it, but you can have a strong woman without her imminently wanting to clobber the person in front of her.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 02-07-2021 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Lol, I like how they say there's no version of Wonder Woman that's defining and then list a bunch of version of Wonder Woman that are defining. Their version doesn't really define Wonder Woman either since Diana in the movies is nothing like her.

I like Justice League Unlimited, but the more I watch it the more I realize all the women are just aggressive with a sprinkle of other personality traits to set them apart from each other. Wonder Woman, Hawkgirl, Black Canary, Vixen, Huntress, Supergirl they all punch first and ask questions later.
    Granted some of them are actually like that in the comics, and I feel like they let Hawkgirl grow out of it, but you can have a strong woman without her imminently wanting to clobber the person in front of her.
    There's some influence with them skipping the contest like the DCAU did but that could also be something they came up with independently given the time constraints of a 2 hour movie. But yeah, not a coincidence the better adapted version of Diana had the director looking at stuff like Marston and Perez for their version.

Yeah, Timm and co had some great female characters but they definitely had some tropes they fell back on and when they didn't know what to do with one, they tended to just make them crush on Batman. Lois and Diana are probably the biggest offenders here... and Cheetah for the villains .
    Last edited by Gaius; 02-07-2021 at 09:16 AM.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Just sounds like they werent interested in WW in general but the idea of WW. The fact that they have to say "Is she Linda Carter? George Perez version" but dont have to go "Is Batman Adam West?". By the time of JL, George Perez gave them a pretty definitive version of the character that they wanted to do. She was young, naive, fresh off the island but probably to multi-faceted for them.