Page 6 of 57 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Just sounds like they werent interested in WW in general but the idea of WW. The fact that they have to say "Is she Linda Carter? George Perez version" but dont have to go "Is Batman Adam West?". By the time of JL, George Perez gave them a pretty definitive version of the character that they wanted to do. She was young, naive, fresh off the island but probably to multi-faceted for them.
    That the most long lasting thing people remember about DCAU Wondy is her crush on Bruce or that it took to near the end of four seasons to make the lasso do the thing it's iconic for speaks volumes.

Fwiw, his comments on Superman are equally aggravating (and I say this as someone who likes DCAU Supes in his own show).
    Last edited by Gaius; 02-07-2021 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    That the most long lasting thing people remember about DCAU Wondy is her crush on Bruce or that it took to near the end of four seasons to make the lasso do the thing it's iconic for speaks volumes.

Fwiw, his comments on Superman are equally aggravating.
    Yeah Superman was cardboard in that series.

Maybe the didn't want to do the Perez version because she would never realistically have a crush on Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Yeah Superman was cardboard in that series.

Maybe the didn't want to do the Perez version because she would never realistically have a crush on Batman.
    Nope.

Last edited by Gaius; 02-07-2021 at 09:52 AM.

Funko announced a line of Wonder Woman figures for her 80th anniversary.

Fwiw, his comments on Superman are equally aggravating (and I say this as someone who likes DCAU Supes in his own show).
    I think they were trying to boil her down to a simple archetype. Like Batman was the moody guy, John Stewart was the military guy, Superman was the boyscout, Flash was the funny one, etc. They couldn't go with 'angry warrior woman' because that was Hawkgirl's thing and they were trying to avoid trying to detail everyone's origins. Once they stopped using Hawkgirl in their adaptations, they were able slide WW into the angry warrior woman role. Personally, I think they should have just focused on the diplomat angle. She's the ambassador of a nation that has long been hidden from the world angle would have worked just as fine.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I think they were trying to boil her down to a simple archetype. Like Batman was the moody guy, John Stewart was the military guy, Superman was the boyscout, Flash was the funny one, etc. They couldn't go with 'angry warrior woman' because that was Hawkgirl's thing and they were trying to avoid trying to detail everyone's origins. Once they stopped using Hawkgirl in their adaptations, they were able slide WW into the angry warrior woman role. Personally, I think they should have just focused on the diplomat angle. She's the ambassador of a nation that has long been hidden from the world angle would have worked just as fine.
    Yeah, bit of a shame the only time they did that in an episode was because they were told to stop using Aquaman.

I think it would solved a lot of the problems of their version if they made it she was already a pre-established hero like Bats and Supes rather than the new kid on the block.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Funko announced a line of Wonder Woman figures for her 80th anniversary.

The Mod Era WW should not have had a sword. I can't remember a single time she used a sword during that period (I could be wrong, I just dont remember it) but would have been far more appropriate if she were in a different pose.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Here’s a link to a great retrospective of Wonder Woman throughout the past eras of DC titled Wonder Woman Historia. It analyzes her creation and her handling. Really fascinating insight into Diana, as well as how badly DC has messed her up: https://www.comicbookherald.com/author/rbabu/page/3/
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Enjoying it so far.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Enjoying it so far.
    He stopped right before the Rucka era. I hope he finishes it because I would love to see more analysis of Rucka’s first run and the Simone era.
    Last edited by Vordan; 02-08-2021 at 02:46 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    The Mod Era WW should not have had a sword. I can't remember a single time she used a sword during that period (I could be wrong, I just dont remember it) but would have been far more appropriate if she were in a different pose.
    I assume it's a reference to this cover.

He stopped right before the Rucka era. I hope he finishes it because I would love to see more analysis of Rucka’s first run and the Simone era.
    I’m only up to part four—The Villains of the Golden Age, so I’ve got plenty left to delve into. The author referring to Duke of Deception as The Lord of Fake News is a hoot.
    Last edited by Largo161; 02-08-2021 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    I’m only up to part four—The Villians of the Golden Age, so I’ve got plenty left to delve into. The author referring to Duke of Deception as The Lord of Fake News is a hoot.
    There isn't anything after the Golden Age yet right?

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    There isn't anything after the Golden Age yet right?
    No, they go up to the Simonson fill-in arc right before Rucka’s first run.

Yeah, bit of a shame the only time they did that in an episode was because they were told to stop using Aquaman.

I think it would solved a lot of the problems of their version if they made it she was already a pre-established hero like Bats and Supes rather than the new kid on the block.
    I have issues with Zack Snyder's vision for the DCU but introducing her as a museum curator who is actually immortal was actually a good idea if you are introducing her in an ensemble. It gives you something grounded to work with before delving into her origin.

Even the naive runaway princess angle could have worked if they used it to build her up and introduce more of her mythology. They mention Hippolyta wearing the suit prior to Diana but never actually show it. Not even the WW2 episode. There were missed opportunities to have her interact with Etrigan and Aquaman, since there are interesting parallels between Diana and those two characters.

Here’s a link to a great retrospective of Wonder Woman throughout the past eras of DC titled Wonder Woman Historia. It analyzes her creation and her handling. Really fascinating insight into Diana, as well as how badly DC has messed her up: https://www.comicbookherald.com/author/rbabu/page/3/
    My regard for this retrospective just fell off a quite a bit. The Bronze Age chapter skims over everything pre-Perez and the Silver Age chapter calls Samuel Delaney’s work “progressive, thoughtful and interesting.” Delaney is the one who had Diana say she doesn’t like most women. I haven’t read much Mod Era, but jeez, how can you forgive that?