Page 11 of 48 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Donna Troy post from DC's Instagram celebrating Women's History Month

Isn't that origin from New 52? Wonder Woman's Rebirth retcons should've voided it. And there's no reason her pre-Crisis origin can't just be restored now.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Isn't that origin from New 52? Wonder Woman's Rebirth retcons should've voided it. And there's no reason her pre-Crisis origin can't just be restored now.
    It's a bit of a combination of the New 52 origin and Post-crisis. I think they only kept how any why she was made but got rid of her murdering all those men on apparently fake Thymiscira. And had her be raised by the Amazon's most of her life.

But this is Donna Troy we are talking about so who knows.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I don't think Abnett was ever able to provide a real origin for her while he was on the book that made sense. It really felt like there was this last minute shift in between the early isses of Titans which seemed like they were trying to return her to her original origin and the Annual which for some reason backtracked to the New 52 one, which of course didn't work either with Rebirth Wonder Woman making that all a magical holodeck simulation. So basically she was left stuck without an origin that made sense. I suspect It may be due to a lack of communication between Rucka and Abnett coordinating their plans for the characters together and not knowing what to do when he couldn't make Donna as Diana's sister work with Rucka's set up.

Orlando eventually retconned and cleared up some things in his run. Donna was still have stated to have been created by unrevealed party with the intent of being used as a weapon against Diana, but Diana rescued her and brought her back to Themyscira where she was shown to have been trained by Diana as a child. In the Titans Endless Winter special Donna mentions being told bedtime stories by Hippolyta growing up. I suspected her "creators" were going to be the Titans of Myth due the presence of New Cronus in the background while Donna was using the Lasso of Persuasion.

The information here reflects that pretty well, with her "creator" still being a sorceress being new information. But they're still leaving the exact identity of this sorceress unrevealed as well as the manner of Donna's "creation".

Basically they've kept one element of the New 52 origin and have changed everything else about it, with it mostly being a variant of her classic young girl adopted by amazons origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    I don't think Abnett was ever able to provide a real origin for her while he was on the book that made sense. It really felt like there was this last minute shift in between the early isses of Titans which seemed like they were trying to return her to her original origin and the Annual which for some reason backtracked to the New 52 one, which of course didn't work either with Rebirth Wonder Woman making that all a magical holodeck simulation. So basically she was left stuck without an origin that made sense. I suspect It may be due to a lack of communication between Rucka and Abnett coordinating their plans for the characters together and not knowing what to do when he couldn't make Donna as Diana's sister work with Rucka's set up.

Orlando eventually retconned and cleared up some things in his run. Donna was still have stated to have been created by unrevealed party with the intent of being used as a weapon against Diana, but Diana rescued her and brought her back to Themyscira where she was shown to have been trained by Diana as a child. In the Titans Endless Winter special Donna mentions being told bedtime stories by Hippolyta growing up. I suspected her "creators" were going to be the Titans of Myth due the presence of New Cronus in the background while Donna was using the Lasso of Persuasion.

The information here reflects that pretty well, with her "creator" still being a sorceress being new information. But they're still leaving the exact identity of this sorceress unrevealed as well as the manner of Donna's "creation".

Basically they've kept one element of the New 52 origin and have changed everything else about it, with it mostly being a variant of her classic young girl adopted by amazons origin.
    That seems to be a reoccurring theme among all Wonder Woman characters, doesn't it.

Thanks for clearing that up. I swear, every time Donna gets a new origin my braincells explode themselves after because it gets so convoluted.

I really wish they would get around to full origin retelling for Donna. I'm going to hope and assume they're keeping Orlando's retcons who with Diana rescuing and bringing a young Donna back to Themyscira to raise and train her, which is the important part. I was hoping that they'd have the Titans of Myth as her "creators". Then again I'd like her not be artificially created at all. But I'd like them to clarify who this unnamed sorceress was and the full circumstances of the events.
    Maybe it can be Circe? Circe is fun.

I haven't been the biggest fan of the black armor with shoulder pads and the "Weapon Girl" portrayal of Donna in recent incarnations, but Travis Moore does a splendid rendition and the writer in this case really seems to give Donna a great "voice".

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    I haven't been the biggest fan of the black armor with shoulder pads and the "Weapon Girl" portrayal of Donna in recent incarnations, but Travis Moore does a splendid rendition and the writer in this case really seems to give Donna a great "voice".

That was the best thing to come out of the whole recent Death Metal thing if you ask me. That was Donna at her best and it was so great to see.

Donna's speech feels like her telling off DC editorial. (Not that I blame her).

Does anyone know if there are any good Diana and Donna team-ups Pre-Crisis? I don't mean the "impossible tales" with teenage and adult Diana, but team ups when Donna gets to her red jumpsuit stage? I've got the Teen Titans guest spot in Wonder Woman vol 1, but were there any besides that?

Quote Originally Posted by AlexLyo View Post
    Does anyone know if there are any good Diana and Donna team-ups Pre-Crisis? I don't mean the "impossible tales" with teenage and adult Diana, but team ups when Donna gets to her red jumpsuit stage? I've got the Teen Titans guest spot in Wonder Woman vol 1, but were there any besides that?
    Nope! Donna Troy really wasn't considered a part of the 'Wonder' family pre crisis. So beyond that last Kanigher story featuring her where he establishes that Wonder Girl and Wonder Tot were not younger versions of Diana but in fact separate characters
    And that guest spot where Doctor Cyber kidnaps Donna Troy which you mentioned
    The only time Donna popped up at all was a back up feature wherin a villain by the name of Perfection attempted to kidnap Donna Troy as a means of uncovering the secrets of the Amazons. And that short story at the back of a Wonder Woman issue didn't even have Donna meet Diana.

Donna Troy was considered a Teen Titans exclusive character pretty much which the Wonder Woman book needed permission from the Teen Titans editor to use. As far as I know thats still the case.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Nope! Donna Troy really wasn't considered a part of the 'Wonder' family pre crisis. So beyond that last Kanigher story featuring her where he establishes that Wonder Girl and Wonder Tot were not younger versions of Diana but in fact separate characters
    The only time Donna popped up at all was a back up feature wherin a villain by the name of Perfection attempted to kidnap Donna Troy as a means of uncovering the secrets of the Amazons. And that short story at the back of a Wonder Woman issue didn't even have Donna meet Diana.

Donna Troy was considered a Teen Titans exclusive character pretty much which the Wonder Woman book needed permission from the Teen Titans editor to use. As far as I know thats still the case.
    There is a nice little Diana-Donna team up in Adventure Comics #461 that tends to be overlooked.

Also, that story from Kanigher involved a heavy amount of fourth wall breaking so it didn't really establish anything, other than he was going to change the book's direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post

Thank you for this context! That's wild that she wasn't even considered part of the Wonder family at that point, and a shame. Feels like a missed opportunity.

I actually think I have that Donna back-up but haven't read it in years. Might have to dig those issues out, even though it isn't a team-up. Thanks for the reminder

There is a nice little Diana-Donna team up in Adventure Comics #461 that tends to be overlooked.

Also, that story from Kanigher involved a heavy amount of fourth wall breaking so it didn't really establish anything, other than he was going to change the book's direction.

Didn't know about the Adventure Comics issue, and I see it's on Comixology so might grab that today. Thank you!

Didn't know about the Adventure Comics issue, and I see it's on Comixology so might grab that today. Thank you!
    I know it's not a Wonder Woman team-up, but there was also a Pre-Crisis story arc in New Teen Titans that saw Donna and Kory join Hippolyte and the Amazons in a battle against the Titans of Myth. I don't remember what issue numbers, exactly, but it was when Lillith was introduced.
    Peace and love to ALL!
    Ray
    **=w=**