Page 39 of 48 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940414243 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Honestly.... Kyle/Donna was too short a run in comics to be worth revisiting I think. Kyle's spent a lot more time, (and more recently) with Sinestro Jr.(Soranik Natu).

Hmmm sooo... why Roy Harper? He's another character she was dating... but not seemingly all that seriously. Also... more recently, Roy has had a rather serious relationship with Cheshire.
    They were pretty serious in the las Titans Run

Roy has been flirting with Donna since they were kids in the original TT run from the 1960's. The 1999 Titans run showed Donna in a maternal role to Roy's daughter, Lian. So, I guess you could say that Donna and Roy have had one of the longest on-again-off-again relationship lasting decades in the comics. I guess both of their status remain "it's complicated."

While I wouldn't mind a bi Donna, I really miss the sisterly best friendship between her and Kory. Even though they sparred, it was never a competition between them and it was just two women supporting each other which I thought was a great dynamic in the NTT run.
    Last edited by donnafan; 11-02-2021 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by donnafan View Post
    Roy has been flirting with Donna since they were kids in the original TT run from the 1960's. The 1999 Titans run showed Donna in a maternal role to Roy's daughter, Lian. So, I guess you could say that Donna and Roy have had one of the longest on-again-off-again relationship lasting decades in the comics. I guess both of their status remain "it's complicated."

While I wouldn't mind a bi Donna, I really miss the sisterly best friendship between her and Kory. Even though they sparred, it was never a competition between them and it was just two women supporting each other which I thought was a great dynamic in the NTT run.
    The Roy-Donna thing was tacked on, in the 90s, and wasn't there in the Wolfman-Perez NTT 80s. While it may be canon, like Rachel Roth Raven, ..most of us NTT fans don't accept Roy-Donna, as legitimate. Donna is Kyle Rayner's girl.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    The Roy-Donna thing was tacked on, in the 90s, and wasn't there in the Wolfman-Perez NTT 80s. While it may be canon, like Rachel Roth Raven, ..most of us NTT fans don't accept Roy-Donna, as legitimate. Donna is Kyle Rayner's girl.
    Was... maybe.... How many others were there? Jade, Yrra(yes really, more of a fake relationship, but she at least played around for a bit), then Soranik Natu... I feel like I'm forgetting someone....

When it comes to Donna's canon relationships, it's Donna/Kyle all the way.

I've never been a fan of Donna/Roy. It has potential to be another bad boy/good girl relationship especially with Roy's history of drugs, chronically bad decision making and not being keep it in his pants, even around super villains like Cheshire. It will no doubt just be another relationship where the female character has to roll their eyes and act like a parents to the dude who is a slob or just below her League. And between Fraction's Hawkguy, most incarnations of GA and BC, Constantine/Zatanna, I'm kind of tired of that combo.

Plus, my dude Kyle has better game:

Last edited by John Venus; 11-03-2021 at 01:19 AM.

Definitely not Roy after this:

Yeah, this mini was badly written in general, but Donna and Roy don't have enough good moments to compensate.

^^^

Yikes

~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Uuuughhh.

Nothing from Cry for Justice should be considered canon. DC was just using 'oH buT he WAs gRIEviNg' as an excuse to have him act massively out of character. Even though I don't want to see the relationship become romantic, Donna and Roy have a long history and they care for each other a lot.

^ Imagine this guy acting like that guy in the scans posted above. May as well be two different character.

The main obstacle to a full fledged relationship was Roy's fixation on Cheshire and the fact that even Donna admitted that she started the relationship with Roy because at that point in continuity she was constructed out of Wally's memories of her and wanted something different.

Yeah... Supervillainess or not... Roy actually cares about Cheshire.

Yeah, most of the Roy/Donna moments were done by Devin Grayson and while I like her writing, it was clear that she was seeing Donna, Roy and Cheshire through rose tinted glasses.

Like, take this scene for instance:

Source; The Titans #30

Cheshire is getting sentenced for nuking a country and committing large scale genocide. Yet, Devin plays the scene as if Cheshire got caught in a car jacking. And it doesn't make Roy and Donna look good when they look like they seemingly eager for Cheshire to be let off or hoping for a different outcome. They're lucky Cheshire wasn't executed for her crimes. That's why one should take her writing with a grain of salt and why I'm not too invested in the Roy/Donna stuff.

Oh no, I fell asleep.

Now if you want an in-character argument for why Roy isn't the best fit for Donna and a less rosy depiction of him, I direct you to:

And it's something that continued into adult hood:

So yeah, the dude is skeevy and kind of a douche when it comes to women.

Coming back round to Donna, lets not forget she was the one who named the Titans:

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Oh no, I fell asleep.

Now if you want an in-character argument for why Roy isn't the best fit for Donna and a less rosy depiction of him, I direct you to:

I've been reading Wolfman\Perez run as their book are being re-released here in my country. While the stories and the art are still good, some choices Wolfman had in the book are very questionable, especially toward women. Like this Roy scene and the mostly anything Beast Boy says. Also the Terra debacle and Terry Long(Even tho i don't think Terry is all that bad as the internet paint him to be, at least not initially up until the marriage, but i'm glad he is forgotten).

Funnily enough, the girls are actually well written in my opinion.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Terry gets interesting when you read the Team(not teen, TEAM) Titans run and all that Lord Chaos stuff. O_o'

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    I've been reading Wolfman\Perez run as their book are being re-released here in my country. While the stories and the art are still good, some choices Wolfman had in the book are very questionable, especially toward women. Like this Roy scene and the mostly anything Beast Boy says. Also the Terra debacle and Terry Long(Even tho i don't think Terry is all that bad as the internet paint him to be, at least not initially up until the marriage, but i'm glad he is forgotten).

Funnily enough, the girls are actually well written in my opinion.
    Yeah, it's really dated. Though it is written in a way to show that you're not meant to take Roy or BB's side on things. Even Starfire, who is very open minded makes it clear several times when she feels that Roy or BB are going too far.

Terry Long aged the worst. Perez had a Terry Long lookalike romance Black Widow in an otherwise great BW story he drew. It must have been a running gag between them especially considering how much Terry resembled Marv Wolfman.

Beast Boy at least got a reinvention thanks to the Teen Titans cartoon.

I think there was even a line from Cyborg about how the girls were the strongest members of the team which would have been a big statement back then.