Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    It looks like DC may have failed in appealing to at least one individual in the demographic Yara is from.[/url]
    Ok, fixed that.

I’m not sure what the author of this piece is trying to say. Isn’t Yara supposedly raised in the US? I’ll concede that she definitely sounds like an American- but how, exactly does she sound like an white American..? How was she not Brazilian enough? Did he want her to have an accent..? Dance a samba..?

I’m getting that familiar feeling I get when someone tells me I don’t “sound or act” like a Cuban, despite being born there.
    Last edited by Natamaxxx; 02-25-2021 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Typos galore!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    When was it revealed that she was from Idaho?

Either way, the reason why she's from Idaho is probably the same reason that all the GL are from AMERICA; out of a misguided belief that for the largely American audience to identify with the character, they must be American.
    In the solicits:

WONDER GIRL #1
    Written by: Joelle Jones | Art by: Joelle Jones | Card stock variant cover by: Bilquis Evely | Teams card stock variant cover by: Rafael Grampa (minimum order 250 copies) | 1:25 variant cover by: J. Scott Campbell | Blank variant cover | On sale: 5/18/21 | $3.99 US | 32 pages | FC | DC | CARD STOCK VARIANT COVERS $4.99 US

The story of Yara Flor starts here!

Raised in the faroff land of Boise, Idaho, Yara Flor has always felt something was missing from her life—and now she is headed to Brazil to find it. Little does she know her arrival will set off a series of events that will change the world of Wonder Woman forever. Her return has been prophesied, and with that prophecy comes the undivided attention of benevolent gods from pantheons beyond. Danger lurks around every corner—but is this young hero ready for her journey? Find out in a debut issue you absolutely cannot miss!

Spinning out of the bestselling Future State: Wonder Woman, acclaimed writer/artist Joëlle Jones makes a triumphant return to the character to officially introduce her into the DC Universe. You think you know Wonder Girl, but you have never seen her like this!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Natamaxxx View Post
    Ok, fixed that.

I’m not sure what the author of this piece is trying to say. Isn’t Yara supposedly raised in the US? I’ll concede that she definitely sounds like an American- but how, exactly does she sound like an white American..? How was she not Brazilian enough? Did he want her to have an accent..? Dance a samba..?

I’m getting that familiar feeling I get when someone tells me I don’t “sound or act” like a Cuban, despite being born there.
    I guess this is because many people originally assumed Yara was raised in Brazil. So, they expected her not to being American.

However, Yara is American. She seems to be raised in USA all her life (it is possible she born in USA) and I think she has foster parents, so she has little connection with Brazil (at the start of Wonder Girl). Currently, she seems to go to Brazil to connect with her Brazilian roots.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    I guess this is because many people originally assumed Yara was raised in Brazil. So, they expected her not to being American.

However, Yara is American. She seems to be raised in USA all her life (it is possible she born in USA) and I think she has foster parents, so she has little connection with Brazil (at the start of Wonder Girl). Currently, she seems to go to Brazil to connect with her Brazilian roots.
    In that interview with Joelle that was posted today, she said Yara was born in Brasil and Raised in Idaho
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

It is a convoluted origin story for sure.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

It's kinda what happened with Bruce Lee.
    Born in the US, grew up in China and then came back to the US and made a name for himself.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

This is why I think Diana and her family need another book. Like the Book focuses in each character Like in one issue it's on Artemis another Hippoltya.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    It is a convoluted origin story for sure.
    How so? We haven’t even read her origin yet. Lots of folks are born in one place & raised in another. It’s not so convoluted.

Yeah, I wouldn't say it's convoluted. Unnecessarily complicated if she ends up with adoptive parents to boot. But Yara IS a Wonder character, so... it's par for the course.

Do we know anything about Yara's mother yet apart from her being an Amazon? The article from Comfort Food Comics calls her a Themysciran Amazon, but to my knowledge, that's not something that has been stated anywhere.

It's just more convoluted than if Yara remained in the Amazon. I'm sure when I read the story it would feel smoother.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Yeah, it also just sounds like the standard story idea of "I'm a person different from everyone else around me, and when I go back and look into who I am I find out that I am someone amazing". Not to be little Yara, that is just an archetype in stories and a lot of characters in all kinds of media have done that after all. I think her interacting with her world and cast will be better then her origins if I am honest.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I agree with the consensus here that Yara's origin story feels very cliched. This is the first time I've felt disappointed with the character. Hopefully, it'll be the last for a while as Yara seems to how tons of potential and her first adventure was enjoyable to read.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member

Off Panel #296: Revenge Quest with Joëlle Jones
    In this week’s episode of Off Panel, cartoonist Joëlle Jones joins to chat about her career and work on Future State: Wonder Woman and the upcoming Wonder Girl. Jones discusses how she decided to become a comic artist, her love of art, what spoke to her about comic art, how she became interested in writing, figuring that world out, the influence of just doing the work, the DC Talent Development Workshop, writing vs. art, her process, the appeal of darkness, the origin of Yara Flor, who the character is, how the pandemic helped her figure things out, and more.
    Some WW related notes after listening:

• Jones is currently reading WW chronologically, she's on the Perez run at the moment
    • The book/character was originally offered to Brazillian creators who passed on it
    • Originally the plan was to make Yara an adult in present day rather than Wonder Girl
    • The pandemic has allowed Jones to do a lot of research which is not the norm for comics, she's learning Portuguese
    • Originally Jones wanted Yara to be from somewhere else besides Boise but all the other cities she proposed were taken by other heroes
    • Jones made the decision to have the book open with Yara going back to Brazil for the first time so the reader would be exposed to Brazil for the first time along with Yara and also because it would be inauthentic for her as a writer to jump in and be like "I know everything there is to know about Brazil"
    • Jones was working on Wonder Girl before DC asked her to do the Future State story
    • When Jones came onboard Yara was named Maria, and then Sylvia. Jones changed it to Yara but any and all changes to character had to be approved by the TV people

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Off Panel #296: Revenge Quest with Joëlle Jones

Some WW related notes after listening:

• Jones is currently reading WW chronologically, she's on the Perez run at the moment
    • The book/character was originally offered to Brazillian creators who passed on it
    • Originally the plan was to make Yara an adult in present day rather than Wonder Girl
    • The pandemic has allowed Jones to do a lot of research which is not the norm for comics, she's learning Portuguese
    • Originally Jones wanted Yara to be from somewhere else besides Boise but all the other cities she proposed were taken by other heroes
    • Jones made the decision to have the book open with Yara going back to Brazil for the first time so the reader would be exposed to Brazil for the first time along with Yara and also because it would be inauthentic for her as a writer to jump in and be like "I know everything there is to know about Brazil"
    • Jones was working on Wonder Girl before DC asked her to do the Future State story
    • When Jones came onboard Yara was named Maria, and then Sylvia. Jones changed it to Yara but any and all changes to character had to be approved by the TV people
    Maria? Too cliched, what is this "West Side Story"? Sylvia? I hear that name and immediately think of Sylvia Fine from "The Nanny" and her "medicine".

"Yara Flor" was easily the best of the lot.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    It's kinda what happened with Bruce Lee.
    Born in the US, grew up in China and then came back to the US and made a name for himself.
    Yara's more about adoption than having two citizenships.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?