Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Esse recurso estilístico é usado para simplificar a construção de uma frase, e apenas quando o parágrafo em que está inserido já identificou previamente o nome
    que era auxiliado pelo adjetivo e que está a ser excluído. O adjetivo não é usado por si próprio como um nome sem complemento, e nesta sinopse de Wonder Girl #4 o adjetivo "Esquecida" está a ser usado como se fosse um nome autónomo para a colêctanea, algo gramaticalmente ilógico. Pega numa equipa da DC como The Outsiders. Não faria sentido chamar-lhes The Outsider.

TRANSLATION - the two of us are having a dumb discussion about the portuguese language. Essentially, calling them "the Esquecida" is like if The Outsiders were just called The Outsider. The name of the tribe should be Esquecidas
    Não se põe s no final de nomes de tribos brasilieras.
    Guarani, Ticuna, Kaingang, Yanomami, etc.

É a tribo Guarani, a tribo Ticuna, etc.

Também não se refere a eles como "Os Guaranis", mas sim Os Guarani.
    https://pib.socioambiental.org/pt/Povo:Yanomami
    https://pib.socioambiental.org/pt/Povo:Guarani
    https://pib.socioambiental.org/pt/Povo:Ticuna
    https://pib.socioambiental.org/pt/Povo:Kaingang

Os Guarani são conhecidos por distintos nomes: Chiripá, Kainguá, Monteses, Baticola, Apyteré, Tembekuá, entre outros. No entanto, sua autodenominação é Avá, que significa, em Guarani, “pessoa”.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

It's the same in Spanish, when you use the word Tribe or TRIBU, we say La Tribu Diaguita, we don't say "La Tribu DiaguitaS", or we can also refer to El Pueblo Diaguita or La Comunidad (Community) Diaguita, the S is not used in this case.

Even in the US, the native american tribes don't use plural in their names.

The Navajo tribe, the Apache tribe, the Dakota tribe.

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Não se põe s no final de nomes de tribos brasilieras.
    Guarani, Ticuna, Kaingang, Yanomami, etc.
    I'm from Portugal, not from Brazil so I won't pretend that I have much knowledge about South American tribes. That said, that logic makes no sense.

"Guarani, Chiripá, Kainguá" aren't portuguse words. Each of those words come from indigenous languages. So of course they don't have "s", those south american languages don't use "S" to indicate the plural form. Based on a quick search on the internet none of those terms even refer to singular forms, they refer to collective nouns. But even if they were in plural, it wouldn't be with an S.

And the larger point is, "Esquecida" isn't an indigenous word like those other tribes. It doesn't seem to be a symbolic name used by the tribe, but a literal term used by the outer world to state that the tribe was forgotten. So why would the portuguese speaking world refer to them using illogical grammar?

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    After an unexpected betrayal that shakes Yara to her very core, she ventures out and finds the lost tribe of the Amazons…the Esquecida!
    Não estão a dizer "A Tribo Esquecida". Estão a dizer que o nome da tribo é "A Esquecida".

The Esquecida is the name of the tribe. The Esquecida Tribe.

Let's see how she will use this in the context of the book. "Esquecidas" Tribe doesn't work either.

And of course, no tribe in the amazon would even have a name in portuguese to begin with.
    It's like the S meaning Hope, she is taking liberties here.

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    Some people want to ignore what is plain to see.
    Many of these Yara covers are just white girls painted dark.
    But to each their own.
    Sadly, a lot of artists simply cannot draw faces with any discernible ethnic features, so the default is always just “white”. No one is ignoring this, but I do think it’s just become so commonplace that I guess everyone is just used to it.

Just throwing this out there, but does anyone else think that Yara’s mother looks distinctly not indigenous? Was she part of the original Amazon tribe that somehow ended up in the rainforest and had a child with a local river god and that’s why Yara doesn’t quite look so…local?

8AD31568-6656-4D47-A2FD-16CC6D6963A6.jpg

I'm from Portugal, not from Brazil so I won't pretend that I have much knowledge about South American tribes. That said, that logic makes no sense.

"Guarani, Chiripá, Kainguá" aren't portuguse words. Each of those words come from indigenous languages. So of course they don't have "s", those south american languages don't use "S" to indicate the plural form. Based on a quick search on the internet none of those terms even refer to singular forms, they refer to collective nouns. But even if they were in plural, it wouldn't be with an S.

And the larger point is, "Esquecida" isn't an indigenous word like those other tribes. It doesn't seem to be a symbolic name used by the tribe, but a literal term used by the outer world to state that the tribe was forgotten. So why would the portuguese speaking world refer to them using illogical grammar?
    But it goes beyond the name of a tribe, both in Brazil and Argentina, for example, political and / or social associations use names in the singular form, for example "La" Fulana (LGBTIQ + association) or "La" Campora (political group), even the indigenous people have political groups with names like "La" Diaguita, "La" Rancho Viejo (The Old Ranch), "La" Rincón del Zorro (Fox's corner), etc. It's the way we use it, so A Esquecida / La Olvidada / La Desaparecida / The Forgotten makes a lot of sense to me.

Those examples you listed are of an organization using an emblem for their identity. It's an object or a being or a place that they respect and that they use to represent them.

Esquecida doesn't seem to be a self imposed name. I bet it's what the outside world calls them to say that they are literally the forgotten amazon tribe. Which is why they should either call them "A Tribo Esquecida" or "As Esquecidas", but never "A Esquecida" on it's own.

Replace the word "Esquecida" with "Renegada/ Renegade". You can say that they are the "The Renegade Tribe" or "The Renegades", but you wouldn't say they are "The Renegade".

Same thing would apply to the word "Rogue". You could call them "The Rogue Tribe" or the "Rogues". But you wouldn't call the group "The Rogue".

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

A mim parece-me aceitável, seguramente no contexto em que foi utilizado no qual se referem à “the lost tribe” = a tribo perdida/esquecida. “Esquecida” refere-se à “tribo” (substantivo coletivo na forma singular), e pelo tal processo de substantivação, posso referir-me à “Tribo Esquecida” como a “Esquecida”

O exemplo que vem à cabeça é a Ilha Terceira dos Açores à qual é comum chamar apenas a “Terceira”. Ou a Cidade Invicta = A Invicta, sendo que a nome oficial da Invicta é Porto

“A Esquecida” faz sentido, para mim, se for o nome atribuído à tribo por estrangeiros, noutros contextos pode causar estranheza

Those examples you listed are of an organization using an emblem for their identity. It's an object or a being or a place that they respect and that they use to represent them.

Esquecida doesn't seem to be a self imposed name. I bet it's what the outside world calls them to say that they are literally the forgotten amazon tribe. Which is why they should either call them "A Tribo Esquecida" or "As Esquecidas", but never "A Esquecida" on it's own.

Replace the word "Esquecida" with "Renegada/ Renegade". You can say that they are the "The Renegade Tribe" or "The Renegades", but you wouldn't say they are "The Renegade".

Same thing would apply to the word "Rogue". You could call them "The Rogue Tribe" or the "Rogues". But you wouldn't call the group "The Rogue".
    But in the case of " the Forgotten" it makes sense. It doesn't have to be The Forgotten ones" or " the Forgotten tribe"... and we have no ideas of it's self imposed or not. I can see someonbe of the Esquecida saying " we are the Forgotten"

WONDER GIRL #6 - On Sale October 26, 2021

In the latest issue written by Joëlle Jones with art by Leila del Duca, after encountering Wonder Girl and Artemis, Yara believes now more than ever that she needs to find her lost sisters. Only they hold the answers to the trauma of her past and fear of the future. Is Yara a hero? Or is she a weapon of the gods wielded to destroy all Amazons?
    Now with Leila del Duca (Future State: Superman/Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman: Tempest Tossed) on art.

Is that girl on the cover the same one she went to the underworld to save or am I mistaken?
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

The cover looks great.

But i didn't really like Leila del Duca art in Future State.