Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

To be honest, her facial features were never that close to the ones from young indigenous Brazilian women I've seen.
    She looks like a model with indigenous ascendancy, a nose job and lip fillers, not someone who was born in a lost tribe in the Amazon forest.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    So she is the same age as cassie
    Early to mid 20s so like 23, so like Jessica cruz age.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post

Yara looks exactly like this brazillian actress with indigenous ancestry.

Yara looks exactly like this brazillian actress with indigenous ancestry.
    That's Mayara Bentes. Joelle said that Yara is based on Suyane Moreira.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

I know. But that's not how she draws her. She draws her like Mayara Bentes.

I know. But that's not how she draws her. She draws her like Mayara Bentes.
    I don't see it.

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

The light brown eyes, the lips, the wide nose, the shape of the head, the freaking hair.

Im not Brazillian so I do not feel comfortable commenting on how Brazillian she does or does not look, but this recent cover does scream white girl dipped in brown.

Quote Originally Posted by jasmyneee View Post
    Im not Brazillian so I do not feel comfortable commenting on how Brazillian she does or does not look, but this recent cover does scream white girl dipped in brown.
    It's not about how brazilian she looks. Brazil has all kinds of ethnicities. The point is that Yara's mother is an amazon and apparently the amazons in brazil are indigenous. So Yara should look half indigenous feom south america.

The light brown eyes, the lips, the wide nose, the shape of the head, the freaking hair.
    Looks like Suyane too me, but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by jasmyneee View Post
    Some people want to ignore what is plain to see.
    Many of these Yara covers are just white girls painted dark.
    But to each their own.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

Yeah in that case it would be an adjective rather than a name. Since it's not how they are using it, it doesn't work in the singular form.
    It does work in the singular form actually but they certainly wouldn't call themselves that, only an outsider would dub them A Esquecida

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    It does work in the singular form actually but they certainly wouldn't call themselves that, only an outsider would dub them A Esquecida
    No it doesn't. Esquecida as a noun/ name works in singular if it is referring to a single person. But it doesn't work in singular when referring to a whole tribe, because in that conext it's just an adjective.

It's like if someone asked you "who's the best football team" and you answered "him". It doesn't make any sense

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

No it doesn't. Esquecida as a noun/ name works in singular if it is referring to a single person. But it doesn't work in singular when referring to a whole tribe, because in that conext it's just an adjective.

It's like if someone asked you "who's the best football team" and you answered "him". It doesn't make any sense
    I’m a native Portuguese speaker so I know what I’m talking about. It does work if “Esquecida” is referring to the ‘tribe’ which is a singular noun, through a process called ‘substantivação do adjetivo’ whereby “a tribo esquecida” (the forgotten tribe) is simply referred to as “A Esquecida”.
    But like I said, it doesn't really make sense as an official name, it sounds more like something an outsider would call them

Esse recurso estilístico é usado para simplificar a construção de uma frase, e apenas quando o parágrafo em que está inserido já identificou previamente o nome
    que era auxiliado pelo adjetivo e que está a ser excluído. O adjetivo não é usado por si próprio como um nome sem complemento, e nesta sinopse de Wonder Girl #4 o adjetivo "Esquecida" está a ser usado como se fosse um nome autónomo para a colêctanea, algo gramaticalmente ilógico. Pega numa equipa da DC como The Outsiders. Não faria sentido chamar-lhes The Outsider.

TRANSLATION - the two of us are having a dumb discussion about the portuguese language. Essentially, calling them "the Esquecida" is like if The Outsiders were just called The Outsider. The name of the tribe should be Esquecidas
    Last edited by Alpha; 06-22-2021 at 07:36 AM.