Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

I hope her and Diana have an actual mentor/student relationship in her Wonder Girl ongoing. I know she's supposed to be in her own world kinda but Diana having a spunky teenager to mentor is fun.

Also have her and Cassie be friends pleeeease they would get along so well.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I hope her and Diana have an actual mentor/student relationship in her Wonder Girl ongoing. I know she's supposed to be in her own world kinda but Diana having a spunky teenager to mentor is fun.

Also have her and Cassie be friends pleeeease they would get along so well.
    Cassie is now in the preteen looking form and Yara is a mature looking wondergirl

Finally got my copy of issue 2, and I read it greedily the second I got home. I plan on re-reading both back to back tomorrow. I have to say, I really enjoyed the story as a whole. It was fun, it was exciting, it had some stakes. Very fun outing for Yara's WW debut. And YEEEESSSS to way more Joëlle Jones Wonder Woman art, PLEASE!!!
    Peace and love to ALL!
    Ray
    **=w=**

It looks like DC may have failed in appealing to the demographic Yara is from.

Yara Flor and Brazilian representation in American comics by Guilherme Preusse.

The character may have been created to please the international market, but her current depiction in comics is not. She’s still very much aimed at the predominantly White public who have access to the comic book Direct Market. If that’s the case, does it even matter that she doesn’t speak in a way that’s convincing to me? Is the fact that she just exists and girls are going to be able to identify with her enough to make it worth it that her identity and ethnicity are only being played for cheap aesthetics? Is having an Indigenous Brazilian Wonder Woman worth it when she sounds exactly like every other White character out there? There is a disconnect between who this character is and who she should be, and it’s reflected in who she’s primarily aimed at.

When the first issue dropped people, namely People of Color, started realizing she sounded off, not even close to resembling the ethnicity the character should be conveying. The readers, Indigenous people specifically, started asking Jones if Yara really was supposed to be Indigenous. Her answer was that she was shocked that the character hadn’t resonated with them like she thought it would, especially considering the way she had been received at first and how she was being praised —by White people who had no idea what she should sound like anyway— and that they should wait for her origin to be revealed, where everything would be explained. If the character was so dependent on her origin, why didn’t it start there?
    https://comfortfoodcomics.com/2021/0...herme-preusse/

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    It looks like DC may have failed in appealing to the demographic Yara is from.

Yara Flor and Brazilian representation in American comics by Guilherme Preusse.

https://comfortfoodcomics.com/2021/0...herme-preusse/
    Feels a bit wokescoldy, especially during the part where the author talks about some incident in the Immortal Hulk...Yes, this comic is not representative of the 'Brazilian' identity, I was never under the assumption it was, its art produced for a primarily for an English speaking North American audience. The issue here isn't that the work is totally authentic to identity of its cultural inspiration , but if it is in someway detrimental to the group it intends to represent (if its a racial caricature), which I think the answer is a clear no.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Never mind, i found what the writer was talking about.
    Last edited by Drako; 02-24-2021 at 12:41 PM.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

I thought it was an interesting critique. I emphathized with the author because it reminded me of how disappointed I was with Halo from YJ season 3. It made me wonder if they overreached by marketing her as a Brazilian character.

Edit- I'm a Muslim fan so that's why I brought it up.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-24-2021 at 01:10 PM. Reason: I forgot something

It's an interesting read. I can understand the critique.

Personally, I'm still reeling over the Idaho reveal. The way they promoted Yara it seemed as if she grew up in the Amazonas as part of the Amazon tribe, so that surprised me.

If Joelle Jones doesn't have a cultural consultant, I hope she seeks someone out for the on-going. It can only enrich the story. There are just some things pure internet research can't answer (in regards to every culture).

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post

Personally, I'm still reeling over the Idaho reveal. The way they promoted Yara it seemed as if she grew up in the Amazonas as part of the Amazon tribe, so that surprised me.

If Joelle Jones doesn't have a cultural consultant, I hope she seeks someone out for the on-going. It can only enrich the story. There are just some things pure internet research can't answer (in regards to every culture).
    I agree with this. I feel the same if they give the upcoming Nubia title to a writer who can’t relate to her. Get someone to help.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post

Yara is from Idaho (and she seems to have adoptive parents). So, she couldn't be a representation of Brazilian people in Brazil (at the start of Wonder Girl), since she will have little connection to that country.

In any case, she seems to be traveling to Brazil in Wonder Girl. So, she will start to connect with her Brazil roots in this book.

When was it revealed that she was from Idaho?

Either way, the reason why she's from Idaho is probably the same reason that all the GL are from AMERICA; out of a misguided belief that for the largely American audience to identify with the character, they must be American.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 02-24-2021 at 04:13 PM.

I just hope Yara, Diana, Cassie and Donna become a family. Dc really has broken apart everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Feels a bit wokescoldy, especially during the part where the author talks about some incident in the Immortal Hulk...Yes, this comic is not representative of the 'Brazilian' identity, I was never under the assumption it was, its art produced for a primarily for an English speaking North American audience. The issue here isn't that the work is totally authentic to identity of its cultural inspiration , but if it is in someway detrimental to the group it intends to represent (if its a racial caricature), which I think the answer is a clear no.
    DC promoted this character largely around her racial identity so criticism of a lack of authenticity is to b expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    DC promoted this character largely around her racial identity so criticism of a lack of authenticity is to b expected.
    She is an indigenous character though, the issue is that she doesn't come across as a Brazilian which there is apparently a lore explanation.

Joelle Jones interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLKb1-BAXXw

Edit: Jones is freaking hilarious
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 02-25-2021 at 12:16 PM.