Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

My biggest fear was that she'd be a mini Diana and I'm glad I was wrong.

This issue was amazing. Best of the Future State books this week.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    That in the preview is actually a Hydra.
    But Yara talks about the Boitatá in today's issue. Boitatá is not a dragon tho. The only dragon i could find in our folklore as Caramuru but he also just looks like a big serpent.
    In a lot of... wait... I actually don't know how many, so... in some ancient myth, especially Greek myth, dragons refer to large serpents, so that's pretty consistent.

The Hydra is classified as a dragon, but it's a many-headed serpent. Pop culture like to give her legs and giant size to make her menacing and give her a more recognizable dragon appearance.

The depiction of dragon as large walking flying fire breathing menace isn't really defined until the dark/middle ages.

I think the serpent of Eden is also described as a dragon in some places, but I don't remember where

Issue was interesting and fun.

Didn't know this was out, I'm about to kick my feet up and enjoy.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Well, I think the art design was really solid in giving her a whole identity and world of her own, which is something even Diana struggles with. Can't really judge the writing. It was a light humoured action story. Pretty accessible and not risky whatsoever. In terms of her personality, she seems to be the type of person that likes to mess with others, which is what it is. She also doesn't mind cheating, which is what it is. I definitely liked her relationship with the pegasus.

The story was ok I wasn't wowed by it but the art, character design and coloring is gorgeous.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Wow. I am already loving this character so much. This was literally the only Future State book that I've enjoyed so far.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    The story was ok I wasn't wowed by it but the art, character design and coloring is gorgeous.

Totally agree with this statement. It’s a first issue and while I appreciate the groundwork being made here, the story was just okay imho. The art/color palette and the character designs truly made the book for me.

I was looking to see how she was different from Diana and if you could insert Artemis in Yara's place and tell the same story.

YARA 2.jpg

Artemis may say this but her world isn't as lush and she isn't the daughter of a god.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    My biggest fear was that she'd be a mini Diana and I'm glad I was wrong.

This issue was amazing. Best of the Future State books this week.
    This. She's fun and interesting. Plus art was so good. Definitely the best of the week.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

Her future state was pretty good. I'm looking forward to future adventures.

Incredible Member

Of the Future State titles I have so far read her title was by far the best. Really liked the art and design work. Thought the story was interesting though I am sure some of the references went above my head not being that up on Brazilian mythology.

About the myths that were referenced in this issue that i remember:

Capiora is an entity of Tupi-Guarani mythology. The word “caipora” comes from the Tupi caapora and means “habitant of the bush”. In Brazilian folklore, he is represented as a small indigenous with dark skin, agile and naked. He is the guardian of animal life. Ready all traps for the hunters, especially the one who slaughter animals beyond his needs.

Boitata is the combination of the Tupi words "boi" and "tatá", meaning snake and fire. In Brazilian folklore, Boitatá is a gigantic fire snake that protects the forests against those who set it on fire. It lives in the waters and can also turn into a burning log, burning those who set fire to forests.

Loved the issue. Yara tiptoing past the Cerebus truely made me smile.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

It was ...meh. Nothing extraordinary. Nothing disastrous. Just meh. Did not care for the art, did not care for the cutesy little nods to "modernity" in the underworld scene (it makes me think of a Marvel book or an MCU film, with forced humor and winks at the audience). Overall, I read it because of the Wonder Woman title, but it's not a book that captivated me and not a book I will continue reading. As for Yara herself, she did not strike me as particularly compelling.