Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Overall I hope they finally tie up all the Wonder Woman family so they don't feel so separated from each other. I mean the Batfam and the Super family are all pretty well tied but Dc don't care. So honestly even when things go well for Wonder family I'm thinking Dc will drop the ball of they keep cutting all the characters off

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

I've read the first two Wondergirl / Yara future state issues and I am wondering what all the hype was about. I mean, we already have a Wondergirl, whether it is Cassie or Donna, so why did Yara seem to float the fancy of many of the people here? Because she was touted as Wondergirl? If she doesn't have strong ties to Diana, how do we even consider her to be part of the 'family'?

Also, reading the 2 issues of future state didn't really hype me to read anymore about her. In other words, I could care less about her character. Not sure where the 'wow' factor that some here have gushed about has come from.

I also read the 1st two issues of Superman/Wonder Woman future state and this has impressed me even less. So, they are trying to call her Wonder Woman now in these issues? Also, Jon Kent as Superman is a Superbore. I mean, 4.2 seconds reading about him and I was turned off (sarcasm implied).

So, do people really think Yara is all that or were they just hyped about a potential new member of the family that was getting the media attention initially? Did they run out of good stories to tell with their original characters like Donna Troy or Cassie they had to make a new one?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    I've read the first two Wondergirl / Yara future state issues and I am wondering what all the hype was about. I mean, we already have a Wondergirl, whether it is Cassie or Donna, so why did Yara seem to float the fancy of many of the people here? Because she was touted as Wondergirl? If she doesn't have strong ties to Diana, how do we even consider her to be part of the 'family'?

Also, reading the 2 issues of future state didn't really hype me to read anymore about her. In other words, I could care less about her character. Not sure where the 'wow' factor that some here have gushed about has come from.

I also read the 1st two issues of Superman/Wonder Woman future state and this has impressed me even less. So, they are trying to call her Wonder Woman now in these issues? Also, Jon Kent as Superman is a Superbore. I mean, 4.2 seconds reading about him and I was turned off (sarcasm implied).

So, do people really think Yara is all that or were they just hyped about a potential new member of the family that was getting the media attention initially? Did they run out of good stories to tell with their original characters like Donna Troy or Cassie they had to make a new one?
    Are you upset? You sound upset.

She has a good look/design, has a spunky attitude, and is drawn beautifully by a well-regarded artist. Her ties to Brazil and their folkloric gods also make her immediately different from the other Wondergirls and makes her distinct.

Being as how Yara's book is selling well and Cassie and Donna can't support a book, DC made the right call. And, this book is giving a space for other Wonder characters such as Cassie and Artemis to appear. Neither of them currently appear in any other book so that's a good thing.

It sucks that you're upset or mired in negativity but Yara feels and looks fresh hence her popularity. Whether it'll be sustained is something we'll all have to wait and see but I choose to be optimistic and positive about her prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    Are you upset? You sound upset.

She has a good look/design, has a spunky attitude, and is drawn beautifully by a well-regarded artist. Her ties to Brazil and their folkloric gods also make her immediately different from the other Wondergirls and makes her distinct.

Being as how Yara's book is selling well and Cassie and Donna can't support a book, DC made the right call. And, this book is giving a space for other Wonder characters such as Cassie and Artemis to appear. Neither of them currently appear in any other book so that's a good thing.

It sucks that you're upset or mired in negativity but Yara feels and looks fresh hence her popularity. Whether it'll be sustained is something we'll all have to wait and see but I choose to be optimistic and positive about her prospects.
    You are totally misinterpreting what I was saying. I am not upset. I just want to know what all the hype was about because I don't see it. I got the Wonder Woman future state trade paperback recently, and the Wondergirl and Supes/Wondergirl 4 issues were a part of it. And I just don't see the hype with Yara.

Cassie and Donna could support a book if they were getting a send off like this 'new' Wondergirl. And of course, since it is still quite new, we shall see if Yara will be able to sustain itself. I can't see myself giving out anymore cash on a trade paperback and only have the issues that I have because it was part of the future state Wonder Woman trade.

You are totally misinterpreting what I was saying. I am not upset. I just want to know what all the hype was about because I don't see it. I got the Wonder Woman future state trade paperback recently, and the Wondergirl and Supes/Wondergirl 4 issues were a part of it. And I just don't see the hype with Yara.

Cassie and Donna could support a book if they were getting a send off like this 'new' Wondergirl. And of course, since it is still quite new, we shall see if Yara will be able to sustain itself. I can't see myself giving out anymore cash on a trade paperback and only have the issues that I have because it was part of the future state Wonder Woman trade.
    I don't think so, they've both had lackluster solo mini-series and went right back to their team books. Yara Flor is different, she's special. It's like being a Britney fan for years and then Beyonce comes out and you're suddenly like "Britney who?".

Also I have to say Jon's book is really good too. It has me collecting multiple Superman titles and I haven't done that since Byrne.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I don't think so, they've both had lackluster solo mini-series and went right back to their team books. Yara Flor is different, she's special. It's like being a Britney fan for years and then Beyonce comes out and you're suddenly like "Britney who?".

Also I have to say Jon's book is really good too. It has me collecting multiple Superman titles and I haven't done that since Byrne.
    Based on the 4 issues that were in the trade paperback with Yara, why is she special? If they don't give her the name Wondergirl or Wonder Woman would you still think that way? If they had just started out by calling her only Yara with no connection to Wonder Woman whatsoever, is she still special?

As for Jon Kent, I am not sure I want to use more than the 20.3 seconds I am using to write this sentence!

Incredible Member

Based on the 4 issues that were in the trade paperback with Yara, why is she special? If they don't give her the name Wondergirl or Wonder Woman would you still think that way? If they had just started out by calling her only Yara with no connection to Wonder Woman whatsoever, is she still special?

As for Jon Kent, I am not sure I want to use more than the 20.3 seconds I am using to write this sentence!
    You know this is an appreciation thread, right? And the rules for appreciation are about no negativity and, yanno, appreciating the character? It seems you don't so I'm curious what brought you to this thread? Nobody here will can convince you so your rhetorical questions seem to just be to initiate arguments which is expressly not the purpose of an appreciation thread.

You know this is an appreciation thread, right? And the rules for appreciation are about no negativity and, yanno, appreciating the character? It seems you don't so I'm curious what brought you to this thread? Nobody here will can convince you so your rhetorical questions seem to just be to initiate arguments which is expressly not the purpose of an appreciation thread.
    I appreciate that you know this is an appreciation thread. And I appreciate that you used time out from your day to tell me the rules of the thread. Well, I guess everything is unicorns and ponies then.

Incredible Member

I appreciate that you know this is an appreciation thread. And I appreciate that you used time out from your day to tell me the rules of the thread. Well, I guess everything is unicorns and ponies then.
    You might be referring to Jerry, and he's a pegasus. A sassy one at that!

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Why do a lot of people like Yara's comic? Maybe it's just me but so far Joelle Jones' Wonder Girl feels like the YA Fantasy formula done right in comics. It has the same things that drew people to Harry Potter and Percy Jackson. Discovering a new fantasy setting/culture with a main character that's unfamiliar with it alongside a likeable set of side characters. Everything from art to writing feels fun and fresh.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Being as how Yara's book is selling well and Cassie and Donna can't support a book, DC made the right call.
    Did the second issue stay in the top ten? I am curious to see how this title's sales stabilize (if they do). Too many comic books start with great numbers out of the gate (intense curiosity and tons of variant covers always help initial orders) and then plummet. Plus large orders from retailers don't guarantee that those issues ordered will sell.
    Last edited by HestiasHearth; 09-01-2021 at 03:50 PM.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Characters are only as great or lackluster as the person writing/drawing them. Yara isn't a great character just because. She's enjoyable because of the way she's written.

Being as how Yara's book is selling well and Cassie and Donna can't support a book, DC made the right call.
    When were Cassie or Donna ever really given a chance to support their own book?
    Last edited by Primal Slayer; 09-01-2021 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Characters are only as great or lackluster as the person writing/drawing them. Yara isn't a great character just because. She's enjoyable because of the way she's written.
    Nooooooo she has a GREAT design, intriguing mythology, a lush setting, a fun personality, an air of mystery and a freshness like new, crisp, 600 thread count, Egyptian cotton sheets so smooth you slide out of bed.

Incredible Member

Nooooooo she has a GREAT design, intriguing mythology, a lush setting, a fun personality, an air of mystery and a freshness like new, crisp, 600 thread count, Egyptian cotton sheets so smooth you slide out of bed.
    Haha love it. Quoted for wondrous truth

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar