Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

I could care less about this Wonder Boy stuff. Gimme Wonder Tot~!

Why do so few people here give a damn about the Holliday Girls? They keep trying to make Etta Candy into something else instead of putting her at the head of this group and doing something with it. It was a sorority that was training to be amazons. They were proof of Diana's virtues working. And they humanized Diana by giving her normal women that went along with her in adventures. This is freaking brilliant and can be updated in so many unique ways. They don't have to be a sorority/ band, but they should still be related to an institution of education.

I just don't want Diana to try to fix the educational institutions from the inside. She comes from a different society and should be playing on her own terms. That's why I never liked her being on the United Nations. That makes sense for Superman, not for Diana.

To me this was always more meaningful than her being an ambassador. This is her actually transforming society on the ground level. It wasn't about making speeches.
    Last edited by Alpha; 05-10-2021 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Why do so few people here give a damn about the Holliday Girls? They keep trying to make Etta Candy into something else instead of putting her at the head of this group and doing something with it. It was a sorority that was training to be amazons. They were proof of Diana's virtues working. And they humanized Diana by giving her normal women that went along with her in adventures. This is freaking brilliant and can be updated in so many unique ways. They don't have to be a sorority/ band, but they should still be related to an institution of education.

I just don't want Diana to try to fix the educational institutions from the inside. She comes from a different society and should be playing on her own terms. That's why I never liked her being on the United Nations. That makes sense for Superman, not for Diana.

To me this was always more meaningful than her being an ambassador. This is her actually transforming society on the gdound level. It wasn't about making speeches.
    If you want to push for the Holliday girls why not just make a thread for them and discuss their finer points as a group through that? Its not to surprising few people care much for the Holliday girls since they have not existed in main continuity since Marstons run on the book. I doubt if many people even in this forum could name any of the Holliday girls aside from Etta herself.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    If you want to push for the Holliday girls why not just make a thread for them and discuss their finer points as a group through that? Its not to surprising few people care much for the Holliday girls since they have not existed in main continuity since Marstons run on the book. I doubt if many people even in this forum could name any of the Holliday girls aside from Etta herself.
    Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    Hippolytus in myth is alternately the son of Thesus and Hippolyta or Antiope... so clearly the one in the one panel of that issue isn't the same. And even if he was, he'd be long dead . And the Virbius version is a different version of the myth altogether. He can't be Diana's cousin in myth, as she doesn't exist in Myth.

the post Crisis Amazons are not those of Myth. And the continuity of the Post Crisis Amazons is no longer intact, so even the version from v2 iss33 may not exist...

If a male hero supporting character was to be introduced, better that he has no direct ties, imo. We've alreadybhas Zeusdad, Jason, and even Olympian and Champion be tied to her mythology.

But what really bugs me is that all of that takes away from every existing female Wonders that get sidelined in place of shoehorning in another new male character ( who is always a dud)

Let's perfect her world and it's characters before shoving in ill conceived new ones
    How is he dead? He's got Poseidon for a grandfather, and an immortal Amazon for a mother. Even if the DCU backstory is meta-myth and not classical myth, ..Virbius Rex is an immortal.

Why can't he drop in for the occasional team-up and disappear, like Batwoman or Supergirl? He's got a whole enchanted forest and a hotty elemental wife to get back to. He doesn't need to hang out, wherever Diana lives. How does that hurt anyting?
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I would like to see E2 Fury show up on the main Earth and continue her story. Of course going with the pre-hero version would be more interesting of a story for WW so she could "save" her. Just have her/Powergirl/Helena Wayne show back up again out of the blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    How is he dead? He's got Poseidon for a grandfather, and an immortal Amazon for a mother. Even if the DCU backstory is meta-myth and not classical myth, ..Virbius Rex is an immortal.

Why can't he drop in for the occasional team-up and disappear, like Batwoman or Supergirl? He's got a whole enchanted forest and a hotty elemental wife to get back to. He doesn't need to hang out, wherever Diana lives. How does that hurt anyting?
    In the comics? His mother, Antiope is not immortal. Only Hippolyte's faction of Amazons were granted immortality upon stepping onto Themyscira. She's mortal ( which is why her Amazons had to have babies to continue their lineage) .

And Theseus'father can vary between the king of Athens and Poseidon, but his mother is a mortal. So one parent is mortal, the other is-- at best-- one half mortal and one half god ( or all mortal) making Hippolytus ( at best) 1/4 god. He's a demigod, and remember not even Hercules was immortal until he ascended to Godhood.

In the myths he dies bring dragged by horses made wild by Poseidon. He was also against marriage and sex and was considered a devotee of Artemis.

It's only in a variation/ addition to the myth, by a different author, that says he was resurrected as Virbius, lived in Rome, but continued to be associated with Artemis. So i don't even know where the " hot wife" comes from...

Just got around to reading CS #3, probably the most time we've gotten between Donna and Hippolyta in lord knows how long.

Of course Diana appears to be dead and was deemed to weak. And there is no love lost between D and moms.

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    ...It's only in a variation/ addition to the myth, by a different author, that says he was resurrected as Virbius, lived in Rome, but continued to be associated with Artemis. So i don't even know where the " hot wife" comes from...
    His hot wife is an elemental, and it was a Roman cult in Latium, which associated their 'King of the Grove' god, with Prince Hippolytos. If we're to follow their telling of his legend, he is grandson of two Olympians, ..Ares and Poseidon. Virbius Rex Nemorensis, as they saw him - their god king - was immortal, and their telling of his origin is clearly intended to explain how he came to be that way.

Virbius Rex is considered an immortal. Furthermore, there are aspects of the Roman part of his story, which parallel George Perez's reincarnation story for the post-Crisis Amazons. The plays and authors - there are quite a few of them - are tragedies and come, centuries later.

With or with-out Virbius Rex, ..I think the Wonder Woman Family needs a superhuman male - Andros of Arcturus, Orion, Hercules, Ching, whoever. He doesn't have to be Amazon blood royalty, ..just spectacularly powerful, in some way impressive to male fans. He should be somebody your kid wants to dress up as, for Halloween, ..and somebody the cosplayers love. The Wonders should list men, cowboy families, sorcerers, Amazons, aliens, weird-looking non-humans, Greek myths and, like the Marston stories, a wild collection of souls, who don't look, like they belong together, ..anywhere. Yes, one or two super-powerful male heroes, led by Wonder Women...

The world should see that. Little boys and some big ones ..should see that.

A bunch of similarly costumed supermodels, all spouting garbage dialogue that sounds, like bad summer-theatre[?] - you may, as well, have the Amazons! Seriously...if a Wonder Woman family isn't going to be multi-gender, multi-genre, multi-multi, you've basically got the Amazons.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 05-11-2021 at 03:04 AM. Reason: clarity
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post

With or with-out Virbius Rex, ..I think the Wonder Woman Family needs a superhuman male - Andros of Arcturus, Orion, Hercules, Ching, whoever. He doesn't have to be Amazon blood royalty, ..just spectacularly powerful, in some way impressive to male fans. He should be somebody your kid wants to dress up as, for Halloween, ..and somebody the cosplayers love. The Wonders should list men, cowboy families, sorcerers, Amazons, aliens, weird-looking non-humans, Greek myths and, like the Marston stories, a wild collection of souls, who don't look, like they belong together, ..anywhere. Yes, one or two super-powerful male heroes, led by Wonder Women...

The world should see that. Little boys and some big ones ..should see that.
    I totally agree with that, I just think he should be a transgressive challenge to gender roles, because that's the most important thing that Wonder Woman represents.

Art from a rejected Wonder Girl story by Phil Jimenez.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Art from a rejected Wonder Girl story by Phil Jimenez.

Why does DC keep rejecting these good stories?????????? And even outfit changes. I believe Gail Simone attempted to change WWs costume during her run but it was rejected. DC is twice as hard on WW then they are on Bas/Supes.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Why does DC keep rejecting these good stories?????????? And even outfit changes. I believe Gail Simone attempted to change WWs costume during her run but it was rejected. DC is twice as hard on WW then they are on Bas/Supes.
    DC: "We hear you and we understand you're complaints. To make up for this we're proud to announce a new 12 issue maxi-series Black Label project starring beloved Wonder Woman characters as Batman, Joker, and Harley Quinn that explores the wide array of the DC Universe from Gotham City to Arkham Asylum"