Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Is that still part of the argument about her having a city? If so, why would she need a city for that?

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    The need for fans to see a Wonder Woman with connections is based in a psychological need for (regular) people to belong. Why does she need to be based in the US? She doesn't, but with 90+% of the readership base is in the US, it makes it easier for readers to relate. Especially if you want to attract younger readers and sustain that reader over a long haul. So that sets two parameters for the comic....people need to see her connect to others so that they have something they can relate to and they need to see her in a setting they can relate to (even in a wishful notion like a bigger city or a fictional city that they can transpose as something similar to the one they live in.) Whether we want to admit it or not, comics are a form of soap opera and as such, there needs to be interpersonal relationships, there needs to be a sense of who the character is as a person and if those dont exist because the writers (and or editors) are not able to see past basic conflict plots, then the character and the book will suffer.
    Likewise, as much as some people want to rail against it, comics are a continuity based medium. Issue one leads to issue two leads to issue three and so on. Along with that, people have an innate need to see things carry over from one issue to the next, even when one story arc ends there are ties back to previous issues. Why do you think Claremont's X-Men run was so popular? It was basically one long soap opera with super powers. Even when the main plot ended, there were smaller plots from previous stories that still went on whether it was Storm's changing personality, kitty's dance lessons with Stevie Hunter, Wolverine's romance with Mariko.
    Wonder Woman needs to have a character base around her, she can not exist in a vacuum of constantly changing characters. I firmly believe that is one of the things that has hurt her series. When has her book sold the most? When writers created a base for her that included a familiar place to return to, a family of characters to return to and even recurring villains. George Perez, John Byrne, Alan Heinburg all placed her in a constant. She needs normal people around her to help add to the wish fulfillment of it all. 1- You want to be the character or 2-you want to be around the character either as a friend or romantic interest. If those dont exist, there's nothing for the reader to connect with. With Wonder Woman...every time a new writer comes in and changes the cast, the reader goes through a bit of culture shock because they have to figure out if the new characters are people they can relate to and see some parts of themselves in. From that, readers can feel that there's nothing to relate to and see in the character and stop reading.
    It's also part of why secret identities work best in super hero stories....is the friend going to discover or is the villain going to discover and put the friends in jeopardy. Without that, you lose some of the tension of the story.
    Apologies if I was all over the place, but hopefully
    I want to give this post a chef’s kiss!

I was asking myself recently when was the last time there was a freaking subplot in WW? (Granted, I stopped following the book after Rucka left and have only returned to read Cloonrad.)

Everything you’ve said, OBrian, is like Serial Storytelling 101 to me, so I’m just perplexed why DC’s editors/writers don’t get it when it comes to Diana.
    Last edited by Largo161; 09-30-2021 at 07:10 PM.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    The need for fans to see a Wonder Woman with connections is based in a psychological need for (regular) people to belong. Why does she need to be based in the US? She doesn't, but with 90+% of the readership base is in the US, it makes it easier for readers to relate. Especially if you want to attract younger readers and sustain that reader over a long haul. So that sets two parameters for the comic....people need to see her connect to others so that they have something they can relate to and they need to see her in a setting they can relate to (even in a wishful notion like a bigger city or a fictional city that they can transpose as something similar to the one they live in.) Whether we want to admit it or not, comics are a form of soap opera and as such, there needs to be interpersonal relationships, there needs to be a sense of who the character is as a person and if those dont exist because the writers (and or editors) are not able to see past basic conflict plots, then the character and the book will suffer.
    Likewise, as much as some people want to rail against it, comics are a continuity based medium. Issue one leads to issue two leads to issue three and so on. Along with that, people have an innate need to see things carry over from one issue to the next, even when one story arc ends there are ties back to previous issues. Why do you think Claremont's X-Men run was so popular? It was basically one long soap opera with super powers. Even when the main plot ended, there were smaller plots from previous stories that still went on whether it was Storm's changing personality, kitty's dance lessons with Stevie Hunter, Wolverine's romance with Mariko.
    Wonder Woman needs to have a character base around her, she can not exist in a vacuum of constantly changing characters. I firmly believe that is one of the things that has hurt her series. When has her book sold the most? When writers created a base for her that included a familiar place to return to, a family of characters to return to and even recurring villains. George Perez, John Byrne, Alan Heinburg all placed her in a constant. She needs normal people around her to help add to the wish fulfillment of it all. 1- You want to be the character or 2-you want to be around the character either as a friend or romantic interest. If those dont exist, there's nothing for the reader to connect with. With Wonder Woman...every time a new writer comes in and changes the cast, the reader goes through a bit of culture shock because they have to figure out if the new characters are people they can relate to and see some parts of themselves in. From that, readers can feel that there's nothing to relate to and see in the character and stop reading.
    It's also part of why secret identities work best in super hero stories....is the friend going to discover or is the villain going to discover and put the friends in jeopardy. Without that, you lose some of the tension of the story.
    Apologies if I was all over the place, but hopefully

I keep saying that but you all keep saying you like her best with no secret id. There's a reason why every live action version has used the Diana Prince identity to some degree. It adds to the overall drama.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    I want to give this post a chef’s kiss!

I was asking myself recently when was was the last time there was a freaking subplot in WW? (Granted, I stopped following the book after Rucka left and have only returned to read Cloonrad.)

Everything you’ve said, OBrian, is like serial storytelling 101 to me, so I’m just perplexed why DC’s editors/writers don’t get it when it comes to Diana.
    O.T. "Nobody asked" but every time I hear that expression I think of Arvin Olano, he says it in almost every video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdoPK4DtrNI&t=212s

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    O.T. "Nobody asked" but every time I hear that expression I think of Arvin Olano, he says it in almost every video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdoPK4DtrNI&t=212s
    I don’t think he said it in the one you linked! LOL

Never heard of him but that expression is on my tongue a lot lately for some reason.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    I don’t think he said it in the one you linked! LOL

Never heard of him but that expression is on my tongue a lot lately for some reason.
    The cute little dance open was the most important factor for me lol. Although I disagree with most of his advice (he loves beige, boucle, rattan and ugly vessels, while shading everything else lol) his vids are bingeable and fun. I hear the phrase "chef's kiss" a lot but heard him say it first.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I can agree with most of that. And I often visit your blog. It's a lot of fun.
    THANKS, Alpha! Most of my posts are created from blogposts, I've made, right here; so, I always appreciate a rousing discussion, with my fellow Kangaliers!

Frankly, having a superhero family or not shouldn't depend on basing a superhero, in an iconic city - I understand that. However, I think most of the better known ones typically are associated with some iconic roost, where all of the related characters come together, ..typically to back-up the superhero or solicit the more important superhero's help, with a problem.

Most of us associate families, with someplace, important to those families - the Ewings in Dallas, the Kennedys in Hyannisport, the Bats in Gotham, the Bradys in that big, mid-century house. It just sort of happens that way.

I think Brian Azzarello agreed with you, in that his Olympians were a cosmic family, who could and did travel, anywhere Diana went. The trades, Blood and War...my proof.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 10-01-2021 at 03:14 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Beautiful, Gaius! Thank you for sharing this.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I'm curious if she ever comes back should Marla be considered a Wonder Family?

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I'm curious if she ever comes back should Marla be considered a Wonder Family?
    Who the heck is that?

Incredible Member

Who is the one with the trident? And is the one in the green shorts supposed to be Grace Choi? I'm guessing based on the arm tattoos.

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    Who is the one with the trident? And is the one in the green shorts supposed to be Grace Choi? I'm guessing based on the arm tattoos.
    Orana.