Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Love the long hair on Diana and Artemis.

Also some Grace Choi appreciation!

Virbius Rexnemorensis ..or Prince Hippolytos - he's in the classical Amazon myth, ..but, where is he? Properly, he's a Wonder; so, where is he?

An Amazon prince...trained by the goddess Artemis, Prince of Athens, grandson of Greek gods, immortal, master of a magic sword, veteran of the Trojan War, king of an enchanted forest, ..first cousin of Wonder Woman? Like his Amazon sisters, he was killed by treachery and vanity of men - his own father, Theseus - then, resurrected by the goddess Artemis, he is raised by wild beasts ..and becomes king of Nemi, by right of combat! Virbius Rex (or King Virbius) is the classical definition of a badass? Where the hell is he?

He's Queen Antiope's son, for crying out loud. Where is he?

Frankly, I don't trust writers to do a serious male Wonder, justice, anymore. One writer (going unnamed, here), for all his good will, brought Prince Jason back, long enough to make him gay, ..but left his mess of a backstory, cliched motivations, controversial powers and origin, that stupid, Stargatey uniform - all of the bad stuff...in place?! No more Wonder Men. No more Wonder Boys!

Sargon the Sorcerer or Arak, Son of Thunder has a much better chance of joining the Wonders, as Diana's recurring, non-romantic playmates, ..without being ruined.

I'd love to see King Virbius suit up, as Wonder Man, for the occasional team-up, and become a recurring character in JLA, WW, Outsiders, Titans, etc. I think it would spark interest in the peculiarity of the Wonders, in a way that Donna and Artemis haven't. It's the only thing WW writers haven't seriously tried, in the way they have with Power Girl and Huntress, ..but, I'm still convinced we'll never see it happen.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 05-04-2021 at 02:05 AM. Reason: content, clarity
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Should he have that many clothes? Seems like a double standard. Specially if we want him to be a transgressive gender figure jist like Diana. Honestly though, I would rather just have the Bronze Age Vartox in Wonder Woman comics. He was a tragic romantic with psionic powers which fit the Golden Age Diana very well.

I can't say I see the purpose of a "male Wonder". Seems like just copying Superman and Batman for the sake of copying Superman and Batman's stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I can't say I see the purpose of a "male Wonder". Seems like just copying Superman and Batman for the sake of copying Superman and Batman's stuff.
    If people insist on it then I say he should fullfill the same purpose Wonder Woman did when she was created. Deconstruct gender roles, but this time as a male.

Im trying to recall if there are heroes who are considered part of the Wonder family despite having no connection to the Amazons or the gods.
    I know theres Star-Blossom who was created by Gail Simone
    And I suppose this would also describe Peng Deilan the Wonder Woman of China
    And depending on your standards one could count Marya the Giantess

Though im unsure who else there is offhand.....That post crisis take on Fury?
    Has she ever even met Olympian?

When pondering over superheroes in the Wonder Family the focus tends to be on those who have been Wonder Woman or Wonder Girl. And im fairly sure that there are other figures who could be included in such a list

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Im trying to recall if there are heroes who are considered part of the Wonder family despite having no connection to the Amazons or the gods.
    I know theres Star-Blossom who was created by Gail Simone
    And I suppose this would also describe Peng Deilan the Wonder Woman of China
    And depending on your standards one could count Marya the Giantess

Though im unsure who else there is offhand.....That post crisis take on Fury?
    Has she ever even met Olympian?

When pondering over superheroes in the Wonder Family the focus tends to be on those who have been Wonder Woman or Wonder Girl. And im fairly sure that there are other figures who could be included in such a list
    I-Ching.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I-Ching.
    Ah yes, the Incredible I-Ching~ I forgot his name was on the cover for years there. I still found it wild how both creatives working on Wonder Woman at the time had such wildly different interpretations of the character and they somehow wrote their own takes while basically ignoring what their opposite was doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Ah yes, the Incredible I-Ching~ I forgot his name was on the cover for years there. I still found it wild how both creatives working on Wonder Woman at the time had such wildly different interpretations of the character and they somehow wrote their own takes while basically ignoring what their opposite was doing.
    Like you have

O'Neil: I-Ching is a Tibetan monk who learned the secrets of magic and martial arts. Wise in the ways of the unseen world, his temple was attacked by Doctor Cyber and his fellow monks murdered. Thus he seeks out Diana Prince and aides her in the effort to take down Doctor Cyber by training her in secret martial arts that the monks had stored away.

But then you also have

Sekowsky: I-Ching was a spy for America who worked deep cover black ops for years, answering to a mysterious off the books agency that among other things kept tabs on all the superheroes and their secret identities. Working from within China to sabotage the countries efforts and aid the Americas, the Chinese government would catch on and have his family murdered, leading to I-Ching giving up that life and becoming a monk to create a new life.

And it really feels like they were meant to be wildly different interpretations but they do actually work together and the whole things just fascinating

I'm going to completely contradict myself and write-in a vote for Virbius Rex, again...

If only, because I remember what it was like to see Andros team-up, with Lynda on TV, knowing we had nothing like him in the comics, ..and how thrilled we would have been, with a male Wonder-cousin, with his own cool stuff, ..like Andros's. So, just to amuse myself I created a mock Secret Files/Who's-Who thing, on my blog, just to get a feel for what having him in the wonderverse would feel like, one final time, before I become angry, disillusioned, dismissive ..and rallying for his inclusion, again.

Did I mention that Virbius, who began life, as Prince Hippolytus of Athens, is Diana's first cousin, with or without Zeus? Her ONLY first cousin...who is actually in the classical, Amazon myth? Comparatively speaking, Otto Binder had to make up a Supergirl for Superman, ..while Wonder Woman already has a first cousin, who is a man AND an immortal Amazon, who's thousands of years old, fully assembled, ..right out of the box!

You can't even call him head-canon or fan fiction, because...he's a real, literary Amazon person? Anybody ever read the exceptional Bull By The Sea? That's him. That's Wonder Woman's cousin.

Furthermore, he's got his own cool, enchanted forest kingdom to pack him off to, when fans feel like he's outshining the leading lady! Virbius Rex doesn't need a penthouse apartment, in Manhattan. He can just swing through, for a couple of issues - a team-up, with the girls - and he's back to the woods and his hot, elemental wife and whatever gravity-defying, demon whoopee they get up to! Poof! Bye-bye, Amazons!

Anyway, that's how Power Girl, Batgirl and the others used to visit Superman or Batman - one or two issues, and they're out. Virbius could be used the same way. Here's his Who's-Who thing... https://wondabunga.blogspot.com/2021...of-hunter.html

I deliberately spelled Themyscira, "T-h-e-m-i-s-c-y-r-a", and referred to him, as "Hunter Prince", to make a point. Check the Lorkalt art, from DeviantArt.com Anyway, I'm done rallying. Drifting back into angry, passive aggressive dismissiveness...

He has a magic sword and a flying chariot. Done. All done.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 05-05-2021 at 10:05 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I'm going to completely contradict myself and write-in a vote for Virbius Rex, again...

If only, because I remember what it was like to see Andros team-up, with Lynda on TV, knowing we had nothing like him in the comics, ..and how thrilled we would have been, with a male Wonder-cousin, with his own cool stuff, ..like Andros's. So, just to amuse myself I created a mock Secret Files/Who's-Who thing, on my blog, just to get a feel for what having him in the wonderverse would feel like, one final time, before I become angry, disillusioned, dismissive ..and rallying for his inclusion, again.

Did I mention that Virbius, who began life, as Prince Hippolytus of Athens, is Diana's first cousin, with or without Zeus? Her ONLY first cousin...who is actually in the classical, Amazon myth? Comparatively speaking, Otto Binder had to make up a Supergirl for Superman, ..while Wonder Woman already has a first cousin, who is a man AND an immortal Amazon, who's thousands of years old, fully assembled, ..right out of the box!

You can't even call him head-canon or fan fiction, because...he's a real, literary Amazon person? Anybody ever read the exceptional Bull By The Sea? That's him. That's Wonder Woman's cousin.

Furthermore, he's got his own cool, enchanted forest kingdom to pack him off to, when fans feel like he's outshining the leading lady! Virbius Rex doesn't need a penthouse apartment, in Manhattan. He can just swing through, for a couple of issues - a team-up, with the girls - and he's back to the woods and his hot, elemental wife and whatever gravity-defying, demon whoopee they get up to! Poof! Bye-bye, Amazons!

Anyway, that's how Power Girl, Batgirl and the others used to visit Superman or Batman - one or two issues, and they're out. Virbius could be used the same way. Here's his Who's-Who thing... https://wondabunga.blogspot.com/2021...of-hunter.html

I deliberately spelled Themyscira, "T-h-e-m-i-s-c-y-r-a", and referred to him, as "Hunter Prince", to make a point. Check the Lorkalt art, from DeviantArt.com Anyway, I'm done rallying. Drifting back into angry, passive aggressive dismissiveness...

He has a magic sword and a flying chariot. Done. All done.
    But he doesn't exist in the comics, cuz the DC Amazons are not the Amazons of Myth.

We already have a slew of Wonder characters we ignore, and a bunch more folks try to shove into the mythos ( Grace Choi is not a wonder, just because she is part Amazon. Does she even exist in this continuity?)

And we've already had the disasters of the Olympian and he who dare not be named ( no, not the Azz hole), but Ja...ja * cough*. Jas- ( ugh, my stomach)..jaso....I just can't...)

I'd prefer the ptb focus on her stable of supporting characters and allies that have existed for decades instead of shoehorning in another guy, just to shoehorn him in... Diana's world is uniquely femino-centric and i enjoy it as such. There' s plenty of more male driven scenarios ( mostly, honestly) so Diana can have her world focussed on the female narrative.

Mel Dyer I'm not opposed to having a male character join the cast, but again, shouldn't he be a transgressive character just like Diana? Someone that challenges gender roles.

That's one of the reasons why I like Vartox. He is a new age psychic dude whose strength comes from his mind along with his flight and he can astral project, all these things are a perfect example of what Diana lost since Marston. The psycho metaphysical element.

Vatrox's very first story is about how his wife had been born with a psyhic link with a human woman, which she herself didn't even realize, and when the woman was shot, his wife also mentally died. He comes to earth not for revenge but to make the murderer be judged by the laws of Vatrox's planet and once he is punished Vatrox returns him to earth for the american criminal justice system to have their say. Plus Vartox has the most flamboyant clothes I've ever seen. It reminds me of Rocky Horror Picture Show. Everything about him is highly unusual in super hero stories and could make for some really interesting dillemas for Diana. I like to think that Vatroc became the greatest hero of his world by literally foghting with his fists diseases like Depression and Anger and Lust. Emotional issues is where Diana shines, and stories with Vartox could make those emotional issues actual physical beings for Diana to defeat.
    Last edited by Alpha; 05-06-2021 at 03:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    But he doesn't exist in the comics, cuz the DC Amazons are not the Amazons of Myth.

We already have a slew of Wonder characters we ignore, and a bunch more folks try to shove into the mythos ( Grace Choi is not a wonder, just because she is part Amazon. Does she even exist in this continuity?)

And we've already had the disasters of the Olympian and he who dare not be named ( no, not the Azz hole), but Ja...ja * cough*. Jas- ( ugh, my stomach)..jaso....I just can't...)

I'd prefer the ptb focus on her stable of supporting characters and allies that have existed for decades instead of shoehorning in another guy, just to shoehorn him in... Diana's world is uniquely femino-centric and i enjoy it as such. There' s plenty of more male driven scenarios ( mostly, honestly) so Diana can have her world focussed on the female narrative.
    I think a Wonder Woman Family, a good one, would excite readers, in a way the comic hasn't, before. Sure, a new, male Wonder could be a small part of that. If not Virbius Rex, than Sargon the Sorcerer-buddy - both come fully assembled, out of the box ..and ready to play!

Have to differ with you, on the shoe-horning, though.

What hasn't worked is inventing a brother-figure, better, than the one, that's already there. At least, Virbius Rex is a post-Crisis Amazon, being a resurrected mortal, whose life was destroyed by man's pride and savagery. His place in the narrative is more organic, than Olympian's or Jason's, ..because he's already part of the Amazon story. He doesn't need a fourteen-issue introduction, like Jason's - he shows up, and he's Antiope's son. Any male wonder cannot be shoe-horned down our throats, as Prince Jason surely was, but must be an organic presence, in the narrative ..and fully formed - origin, motivation, powers, costume, backstory, etc - on deployment!

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Mel Dyer I'm not opposed to having a male character join the cast, but again, shouldn't he be a transgressive character just like Diana? Someone that challenges gender roles.

That's one of the reasons why I like Vartox. He is a new age psychic dude whose strength comes from his mind along with his flight and he can astral project, all these things are a perfect example of what Diana lost since Marston. The psycho metaphysical element.

Vatrox's very first story is about how his wife had been born with a psyhic link with a human woman, which she herself didn't even realize, and when the woman was shot, his wife also mentally died. He comes to earth not for revenge but to make the murderer be judged by the laws of Vatrox's planet and once he is punished Vatrox returns him to earth for the american criminal justice system to have their say. Plus Vartox has the most flamboyant clothes I've ever seen. It reminds me of Rocky Horror Picture Show. Everything about him is highly unusual in super hero stories and could make for some really interesting dillemas for Diana. I like to think that Vatroc became the greatest hero of his world by literally foghting with his fists diseases like Depression and Anger and Lust. Emotional issues is where Diana shines, and stories with Vartox could make those emotional issues actual physical beings for Diana to defeat.
    I liked Vartox, when I read a Vartox story, back in the early 80s, in Action Comics. I think he'd make a great super-villain, and I especially liked his telepathic powers.

I think he's also an interesting study, for a comic book character, in the warping and expansion of gender roles and expressions of sexual power. I don't think Wonder Woman has faced a homme fatale, as such, and it would be interesting to see her try. I want to see he

I'm for keeping any adaptation of Virbius/Hippolitus straight, however. In the cases of Achilles and of Jason, there was a big fuss made over their being LGBTQA, and it was no help to either of them, in the end. I would hope a writer left Sargon, Andros or Virbius, heterosexuals - if only, because the characters have worked fine, as they are. I think leaving them, as is and ready to play, right out of the box, will ultimately work toward their success, going forward.

Vartox might fit in with the Thalarion men or the colorful people of Venturia, ruled by Queen Clea. He looks and reads, just like something out of Flash Gordon or Buck Rogers - like some chest-beating bombastic type, Timothy Dalton or Brian Blessed should be playing. I see no reason the WW comic shouldn't get to swipe him, considering how many WW characters have been stolen, for use in other comics.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 05-06-2021 at 06:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I agree with this idea. One of the reasons I feel some of the previous attempts at putting a man into the Wonder Family have failed or seemed needless has been because they focused on their links to Greek myth rather than drawing on how they might embody the sentiment of Wonder Woman. Sadly there's still something that feels boldly transgressive in the idea of having a male hero stand for the ideals of Love and Compassion in the way Diana does, and perhaps something that's needed.

However, context is everything, and I really hear those who say that the Wonder Family is underutilised enough without bringing more folks in. I also see the power in the promise of this corner of the DCU having women and the connections between them at its heart. It looks like the growth of Wonder titles is going to bring us a bit of that in the coming year, and I see why introducing a man into that as a central element might not seem needed in quite the same way. In the absence of a fully thriving Wonder Family of books, I don't place introducing a man into the wonder family as high priority. But as that family of books grow, I'd love to see what could be done to deeply explore the idea in a transgressive and powerful way.