Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I think a Wonder Woman Family, a good one, would excite readers, in a way the comic hasn't, before. Sure, a new, male Wonder could be a small part of that. If not Virbius Rex, than Sargon the Sorcerer-buddy - both come fully assembled, out of the box ..and ready to play!

Have to differ with you, on the shoe-horning, though.

What hasn't worked is inventing a brother-figure, better, than the one, that's already there. At least, Virbius Rex is a post-Crisis Amazon.
    When did this happen in the book? Just because it might be the case in the ( widely varying) stories of the Amazons of Myth doesn't make it so in the book. Because these are not the Amazons of Myth.

In addition, the Post Crisis Antiope is not the same as the Rebirth Antiope which is not the same as the Antiope in the film. Continuity has shifted greatly since Crisis. Multiple times. And then shifted again.

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    When did this happen in the book? Just because it might be the case in the ( widely varying) stories of the Amazons of Myth doesn't make it so in the book. Because these are not the Amazons of Myth.

In addition, the Post Crisis Antiope is not the same as the Rebirth Antiope which is not the same as the Antiope in the film. Continuity has shifted greatly since Crisis. Multiple times. And then shifted again.
    Not to sound dismissive of your assertion, Thirty-nine, ..but, I think this position is, however unintentionally, indulgent of the editorial waste that's become the WW comic's trademark. We fans, all too often, look at the waste of Adjudicator, Doctor Cyber, Bushmaster, the (Termite) Queen, Queen Clea and First Born, all collecting dust in the creaky attic of WW's rogues gallery, and blame it on them being 'bad fits' for the comic. That's an example, but, there's a plethora of forgivenesses we make for how many promising ideas and characters go to rot, in this comic, only to be used brilliantly, somewhere else...

Donna Troy. Artemis. I Ching. Adjudicator. Circe. Wonder Woman.

Some other ideas we might not easily associate, with a myth-inspired, Amazon superheroine? Schizo cheetah-cosplayer, ..telepathic, misogynist serial killer, ..cybernetic, Asian crimelord...

As I see it, Virbius Rex is just one more potentially great idea, that could make a great WW story, we'll never see realized in the pages of WW. I almost wish a JLD writer would introduce him into the mythos, make him the coolest character find, since Huntress or Power Girl, just to show us, once again, how the best WW storytelling typically happens, outside of the WW comic, ..and how way weird that is. It is not normal for DC Comics, like Justice League, Superman, Batman, Flash, even Aquaman, ..all of which have had measurable success, with their superhero families. Not equating their commercial success, with the hero-families, but...

Why not WW? Why not a male cousin, who drops by for the infrequent team-up, like Donna or Artemis? Why not?

I just find ourselves making too many excuses for why Wonder Woman isn't, as successful or consistently entertaining, as other comics. Why is WW still barely escaping cancellation, in 2021? One hee-ouuge reason, I think, is its consistent inability to do some of what has been successful, in other, more popular comics.

Virbius or no Virbius, I think a Wonder Woman Family is the best thing Robert Kanigher ever gave us. I think a well-cast Wonder Family - Etta, Steve, Mala, Donna, Artemis, Desira, Nubia, Andros of Antares, Yara, Hercules, Ferdinand, Ching, Fury, Zephyr the Wonder Dog* - is going to rock...sick of the excuses, why not! Where are they?

*In the Chazzarello run, Brian introduced us to Diana's childhood pet eagle, ..Zephyr. I think Diana naming her adopted, wonder-powered, Purple Rottweiler, after that great bird, would be wa-aay cool, ..and she gets 'Zeffi' for a nickname! [Gasp.] Zeffi--I love it! Too posh, kangaliers!

Last edited by Mel Dyer; 05-07-2021 at 01:14 AM. Reason: clarity
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I've heard people talk about purple dogs in paradise island but I don't remember ever seeing it. What comic did they appear in?

As far as everything else, I totaoly agree with the sentiment, but maintain my opinion that any male addition to Wonder Woman should challenge gender roles, even beyond just being gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I've heard people talk about purple dogs in paradise island but I don't remember ever seeing it. What comic did they appear in?

As far as everything else, I totaoly agree with the sentiment, but maintain my opinion that any male addition to Wonder Woman should challenge gender roles, even beyond just being gay.
    Spoofing ya, again, Alpha...

Wonder Dog, mutt star of the Super Friends comic, in the mid-1970s, was regularly inked a soft, sleepy lavender. He was kind of purple on TV, also, depending on whose color TV, you were stapled, in front of, on a Saturday morning. While he was a popular character on the SF TV cartoon and in the comic, and had 'Wonder' in his name, he was never officially tied into the Wonderverse, showed romping with kangas on Paradise Island ..or established, as Diana's canine companion. He was a Wonder Dog, in name only, I'm afraid, Alpha, ..and that's a shame, somewhere.

Maybe, it's time some celeb writer fixed that.

Support Zephyr the Posh Lady Wonder Dog, kangaboos, ..because it's time. Support Zephyr having little doggy bracelets and a yellow, mental radio collar, ..with a little, ruby star on it. This is a serious matter. It's a happier, funkier world, with Zeffi the purplish, girl Wonder Dog, ..in it.

A wise woman once said there's a special place, in Doom's Doorway, for kangaliers, who don't support Zephyr the Wonder Dog. Yeah. Okay...? Do the purple math.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 05-07-2021 at 01:48 AM. Reason: humor
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

hahaha. Thanks for the info. I always thought Wonderdog was grey from the videos I watched online (super friends wasn't on tv when I was growing up)

hahaha. Thanks for the info. I always thought Wonderdog was grey from the videos I watched online (super friends wasn't on tv when I was growing up)
    He is. He's a grey dog.

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    He is. He's a grey dog.
    Spider-Man's shiny, red and black catsuit was a red and black catsuit, ..until it wasn't. Etta was white, once.

Might be a way to distinguish the girl Wonder doggies, from the boys, ..making the lady dogs, purplish.

I want purple, girl Rotties, on Paradise Island...a whole damn mountain of them. Make them Amazon Royal Guard, with little green capes and doggy bracelets - the best of them. Don't care how we get them, at this point. Posh, purple Zeffi the Wonder B needs to happen, because it's time.

She's purple. It's time.

And bring back Mister Genie.

I'm just so confused by this whole thing right now. Could I get like a panel or like comic issue from the golden/silver age Wonder Woman title about purple dogs or Virbius....
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

IDK if I've said this already... but for right now the Wonderfam needs to be small, close, and tight knit. Focus on establishing characters and making larger DC universe names outside of Diana's main title.

Wonder Woman - Diana (main character) - I'm gonna include Steve too because he would be the father of Wonder Boy

Shimatar - Nubia (Diana's twin) who usually does her own thing and mainly deals with the Bana along side Artemis

Olympia - Cassie (Diana's protegee) she should be 22 in college and starting her own super hero career

Wonder Boy - Miles (Diana and Steve's son) Like Damian he's young and starting his hero work under Diana, still training, if only Jon wasn't aged up

Wonder Girl - Yara Flor (Diana's second protegee) I'm gonna say she's maybe 15 in my book and just starting out like Wonder Boy

I'm excluding Donna because the more I think about it the more I just don't have a place for her, I mean I think Young Justice making her the new ambassador to Themyscira was probably the best move.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    I'm just so confused by this whole thing right now. Could I get like a panel or like comic issue from the golden/silver age Wonder Woman title about purple dogs or Virbius....
    They don't exist, as Wonder Dog is grey and the other character isn't in the comics, but more of a wish from a fan
    Last edited by wonder39; 05-09-2021 at 02:16 PM.

Spider-Man's shiny, red and black catsuit was a red and black catsuit, ..until it wasn't. Etta was white, once.

Might be a way to distinguish the girl Wonder doggies, from the boys, ..making the lady dogs, purplish.

I want purple, girl Rotties, on Paradise Island...a whole damn mountain of them. Make them Amazon Royal Guard, with little green capes and doggy bracelets - the best of them. Don't care how we get them, at this point. Posh, purple Zeffi the Wonder B needs to happen, because it's time.

She's purple. It's time.

And bring back Mister Genie.
    I'm not opposed, just wanted to know the origin of this thing various people have talked about.

I'm not opposed, just wanted to know the origin of this thing various people have talked about.
    Wonder Dog was a recurring character in the Super Friends comic and a Saturday morning cartoon, on American television. Wonder Dog wasn't Diana's pet, had no association, with Wonder Woman or Troy or Paradise Island, ..and was never featured in Diana's stories.

Virbius Rex or 'Prince Hippolytus' does exist, in myth and in the DC Universe. He is Hippolyta's nephew and the son of Antiope, among the Amazons, in Greek mythology - certainly better known, than Myrina or Asteria. He exists in the DCU, as 'Hippolytus', and was featured in Wonder Woman Vol. 2, Issue #33 (1989) He has never been featured in a Wonder Woman story.

Writers dredge up obscure female Amazons, like Myrina and Mylanta - make up fictional Amazons, with absurd names - all the time, with no controversy, from fans. Comparatively, any mention of Hippolytus on the boards is always treated suspiciously, "Is he really in the myth? Didn't you make him up?" He is Diana's only first cousin, in myth and in the DCU, the only true male Amazon. As I see it, it's something that the WW comic hasn't really tried, in the way it has, with Batgirl and Power Girl, ..and I think it should, because why in Tartarus not?

Prince Jason was awful. Doesn't count.

The real Wonder Woman Family, the only one that counts, is the one you should be seeing EVERY issue, but don't. That, for my money, is Etta dam'Candy, ..white, Latina, black, fat, fatter and anyway we can get her! This comic thrived, when it had Diana's friendship, with very mortal, fat and weirder'n hell Etta Candy, sharp-shooting, Texas cowgirl/sorority chick, ..at its narrative center. Much as I hate to think it, ..I think writers exclude her because she's fat.

How many characters in superhero comics do you see who are built like Golden Age Etta, ..in all her gravity and heart-health defying glory?! I want to laugh with and at Etta Candy, ..the way I laugh with and at everybody else, when they are comedic side-order characters in a cartoon, ..and it's appropriate to do so! Whatever needs to happen, whatever color or shape a writer's got to make her, to make her the absurdly weird and fearless character, we can all identify with and cheer on, ..let's see it! Let's have it!

Wonder Woman and Wonder Woman (the comic) need Etta Candy to pop, if the last seventy or so years of malaise and boredom are to be learned from. Big ole, fat Etta Candy is the fusion, this comic needs to be the kickass star, it used to be, in its World War II heyday! Like Myrina Black, Mister Genie, Queen Clea, Doctor Cyber, heroic Hercules, Queen Desira and the Adjudicator, ..she's amazing...

And WHERE is she?! Why aren't WW writers demanding her presence in every comic?
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 05-09-2021 at 08:07 PM.

Wonder Dog was a recurring character in the Super Friends comic and a Saturday morning cartoon, on American television. Wonder Dog wasn't Diana's pet, had no association, with Wonder Woman or Troy or Paradise Island, ..and was never featured in Diana's stories.

Virbius Rex or 'Prince Hippolytus' does exist, in myth and in the DC Universe. He is Hippolyta's nephew and the son of Antiope, among the Amazons, in Greek mythology - certainly better known, than Myrina or Asteria. He exists in the DCU, as 'Hippolytus', and was featured in Wonder Woman Vol. 2, Issue #33 (1989) He has never been featured in a Wonder Woman story.

Writers dredge up obscure female Amazons, like Myrina and Mylanta - make up fictional Amazons, with absurd names - all the time, with no controversy, from fans. Comparatively, any mention of Hippolytus on the boards is always treated suspiciously, "Is he really in the myth? Didn't you make him up?" He is Diana's only first cousin, in myth and in the DCU, the only true male Amazon. As I see it, it's something that the WW comic hasn't really tried, in the way it has, with Batgirl and Power Girl, ..and I think it should, because why in Tartarus not?

Prince Jason was awful. Doesn't count.

The real Wonder Woman Family, the only one that counts, is the one you should be seeing EVERY issue, but don't. That, for my money, is Etta dam'Candy, ..white, Latina, black, fat, fatter and anyway we can get her! This comic thrived, when it had Diana's friendship, with very mortal, fat and weirder'n hell Etta Candy, sharp-shooting, Texas cowgirl/sorority chick, ..at its narrative center. Much as I hate to think it, ..I think writers exclude her because she's fat.

How many characters in superhero comics do you see who are built like Golden Age Etta, ..in all her gravity and heart-health defying glory?! I want to laugh with and at Etta Candy, ..the way I laugh with and at everybody else, when they are comedic side-order characters in a cartoon, ..and it's appropriate to do so! Whatever needs to happen, whatever color or shape a writer's got to make her, to make her the absurdly weird and fearless character, we can all identify with and cheer on, ..let's see it! Let's have it!

Wonder Woman and Wonder Woman (the comic) need Etta Candy to pop, if the last seventy or so years of malaise and boredom are to be learned from. Big ole, fat Etta Candy is the fusion, this comic needs to be the kickass star, it used to be, in its World War II heyday! Like Myrina Black, Mister Genie, Queen Clea, Doctor Cyber, heroic Hercules, Queen Desira and the Adjudicator, ..she's amazing...

Hippolytus in myth is alternately the son of Thesus and Hippolyta or Antiope... so clearly the one in the one panel of that issue isn't the same. And even if he was, he'd be long dead . And the Virbius version is a different version of the myth altogether. He can't be Diana's cousin in myth, as she doesn't exist in Myth.

the post Crisis Amazons are not those of Myth. And the continuity of the Post Crisis Amazons is no longer intact, so even the version from v2 iss33 may not exist...

If a male hero supporting character was to be introduced, better that he has no direct ties, imo. We've alreadybhas Zeusdad, Jason, and even Olympian and Champion be tied to her mythology.

But what really bugs me is that all of that takes away from every existing female Wonders that get sidelined in place of shoehorning in another new male character ( who is always a dud)

Let's perfect her world and it's characters before shoving in ill conceived new ones

Big YES. I don't get how people don't see the potential. Specially if you Wonder Woman to appeal to this generation, the original Etta Candy could be a big hit.

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    IDK if I've said this already... but for right now the Wonderfam needs to be small, close, and tight knit. Focus on establishing characters and making larger DC universe names outside of Diana's main title.

Wonder Woman - Diana (main character) - I'm gonna include Steve too because he would be the father of Wonder Boy

Shimatar - Nubia (Diana's twin) who usually does her own thing and mainly deals with the Bana along side Artemis

Olympia - Cassie (Diana's protegee) she should be 22 in college and starting her own super hero career

Wonder Boy - Miles (Diana and Steve's son) Like Damian he's young and starting his hero work under Diana, still training, if only Jon wasn't aged up

Wonder Girl - Yara Flor (Diana's second protegee) I'm gonna say she's maybe 15 in my book and just starting out like Wonder Boy

I'm excluding Donna because the more I think about it the more I just don't have a place for her,
    I mean I think Young Justice making her the new ambassador to Themyscira was probably the best move.
    Boo. :P

-----------------------

Anyway, my ideal Wonder Woman Family:

Wonder Woman/Diana: The wise, compassionate yet still powerful heroine. Prefers diplomacy over fighting.

Artemis: Diana's best friend and one who prefers fighting more than diplomacy. She is the angry warrior woman that people think Diana is supposed to be.

Donna: A lost and orphaned girl from Man's World who was adopted by the Amazons. IMO, Donna only works when you keep her as grounded and as human as possible.

Cassie: Daughter of Helena Sandsmark, idolizes Wonder Woman and wants to be like her the most.

Nubia: Diana's sister who was kidnapped by Ares as an infant then brainwashed by him to use to as a weapon. Diana freed her from his grasp. However, not content with just being with the Amazons and the Greek Gods, Nubia set out on a journey to explore the pantheons around the world.

Etta Candy: Diana's best friend in Man's World. I would make her a linguistic expert for the US Air Force.

Steve Trevor: The first man that Diana met, skilled pilot and ARGUS agent who isn't intimidated by Diana's strength.

Cast for a future take:

Donna Troy: The new Wonder Woman who protects the world and spread the message of peace and love.

Cassie Sandsmark: The new Queen of the Amazons.

Diana/Goddess of Truth: who watches over New Themyscira as it's guardian goddess.

Nubia: The new Ambassador/Diplomat for Man's World.

Lyta Trevor: Diana and Steve's daughter who is new Wonder Girl and later Fury.

Hippolytus Trevor: Diana and Steve's son who is Wonder Boy.

Regarding the idea of a male Wonder Woman character or more specifically, a 'Wonder Boy', if you really have to have one, then the most obvious choice would be Hippolytus. Either as the son of Hippolyta and Theseus or the son of Antiope and Theseus or like I suggested, the son of Diana and Steve Trevor. I have my own ideas of how mythological Hippolytus could be woven into the existing WW mythos without de-centering focus on the female characters and female relationships but that's another topic, imo.
    Last edited by John Venus; 05-10-2021 at 04:53 PM.