Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526

"Stand aside! I'm the writer who will fix everything forever! Even the stuff that don't need fixing!"

Nubia from Historia

Nubia & the Amazons Writer Stephanie Williams on Wonder Woman, Fandom & Themyscira as Accessible Utopia

So far, it has been very positive, which I'm very thankful for. But also at the same time, as much as I would love to latch on to that, I just can't 'cause I've been on the other side of fandom, I know how things work. If you do not give a character X amount of powers, it's a problem. Basically, if you don't do exactly what someone exactly wanted you to do, then it's a problem, but the thing is, it's still my story to tell, just as though if you had that same opportunity, it would be your story to tell. So, although things have been overwhelmingly positive for Nubia, I take it for what it is, then I move on to the very next thing because you kinda have to do that. Ask me this question again, maybe four months from now. It'll be the same thing, but a little bit more, "See I told you."
    https://www.teenvogue.com/story/nubi...iams-interview
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Nubia from Historia

I still do not understand the purpose of all this armor/accessories/ornate paraphaernalia. If the purpose is to impress us with Jimenez' talent and attention to detail, well mission accomplished. But is there a functional, in-story purpose for so much stuff on them? I mean, damn.

Saw these and just had to share. I love the second one especially .

Nubia and the Amazons #6 by Stephanie Williams, Vita Ayala, Alitha Martinez and Mark Morales. Cover by Martinez. Variant covers by (2) Kyle Baker and (3) Juliet Nneka. Out in March 2022.

This is still my favorite battle look. Love how noncommittal the artist was on the dragon/batwing thingy on Nubia's armor and wonder if it's ever been clarified what it exactly is.

NUBIA 900.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    This is still my favorite battle look. Love how noncommittal the artist was on the dragon/batwing thingy on Nubia's armor and wonder if it's ever been clarified what it exactly is.

NUBIA 900.jpg
    ...nothing specific, but obviously a take on/ counterpoint to Diana's eagle. The mego Nubia doll has the design sculpted more refined, but still not as a specific thing. It slways sort ofblooked like a Phoenix to me... i think there is an image Phil did that is also more bird like....

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post

NUBIA 900.jpg
    Nubia looks great in all of these designs! She is such a Queen.

It is a Phoenix. I lent her some of the PF for an-as-yet-shown-task......
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    ...nothing specific, but obviously a take on/ counterpoint to Diana's eagle. The mego Nubia doll has the design sculpted more refined, but still not as a specific thing. It slways sort ofblooked like a Phoenix to me... i think there is an image Phil did that is also more bird like....
    Aw...you guessed it! Nubia needed the PF for a secret mission and when she had it, this is the DC version of her Phoenix Costume.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Astonishing Member

Is that her original armor? It looks like what she wore when Don Heck drew her in the 70s. If so, the design held up remarkably well.

Edit: Never mind, I see in the posts that followed that it is indeed her 70s armor. I really disliked Heck's work in the 80s (especially on Wonder Woman), but his early 70s DC work was still pretty strong -- especially in storytelling.
    Last edited by kcekada; 12-31-2021 at 06:19 AM.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    While not entirely wrong, it is sadly a pessimistic view of not just her work, but fandom. The book though has been outstanding. This is what I would love to see an Amazons movie based off of (although I would prefer Hippolyta on the throne, but Nubia needs to have a main role.)

ALright, I want Nubia to get a consistent look. I want her to become an iconic part of the WW mythos, and giving her an instantly recognizable look is crucial.

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    ALright, I want Nubia to get a consistent look. I want her to become an iconic part of the WW mythos, and giving her an instantly recognizable look is crucial.
    The the only thing that’s changing is her clothing and hairstyles sometime. She’s the Queen. It should be this way