Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Okay, as much as I normally disagree with Alpha, I do think the part about Diana not knowing about Nubia should be left out.
    Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Same here, just have Diana in on the loop and not oblivious to it.
    If Diana was still a baby when that happened I can see Hippolyta waiting until she was old enough. But I'm fine with Diana knowing from the beginning as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    The way you’ve encapsulated this does sound compelling. Am I correct in assuming it doesn’t require Nubia to be Diana’s twin? It’s the twin notion that, to me, dilutes Diana’s uniqueness.
    I don't think keeping them as twins will dilute Diana's importance. I do like the idea of Phillipus co-creating her and essentially making her the daughter of Hippolyta and Phillipus but kidnapped when she was young. It adds more layers to Nubia's origin while also elevating Phillipus's importance. Bonus points, if you reveal that Phillipus is Nubian and that she named her daughter after her old home land.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Yeah, I remember Gail Simone didn't get her either. She didn't even like her name, she thought it was too much on the nose. I had to point out to her that as far as African-American names go it's not that big a stretch, because I've personally known Black people named Ebony, Zaire, Eqypt, Asia and at least 3 Kenyas. I even knew a guy named Blue, because his skin was so dark it was blue. lol
    Yep. I remember that thread but I recall agreeing with her at the time but that was before Tumblr really took and it was on there that Nubia went viral and I started changing my mind about the character.
    Last edited by John Venus; 07-21-2021 at 08:33 PM.

I would change who kidnapped her though, I wouldn't want Ares, maybe Deimos and Phobos and they train her to be their weapon to try and get their dad's approval or something.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Why shouldn't it be Ares?

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Why shouldn't it be Ares?
    Personally, I don't really see him doing it. TBF though my favorite version of the character is Rucka's Ares and baby stealing just seems to "mustache twirling" evil for him. But, Deimos and Phobos on the other hand seem just like those kinds of villains for me. I want Ares to be a villain but one with nuance and complexity, I want him to have a strange relationship with Diana both as a grandfather and antagonist, its actual organic family drama. I don't like evil because he's evil Ares from the golden age. Kidnapping Nubia, who would also be his granddaughter, unless for great reason, wouldn't happen. I mean, he also would be trapped at this point, Diana only leaves once its discovered he's broken free or in a state of madness. Ares is likely minding his own business in his own realm or in prisoned via Aphro's law, by the time Diana and Nubia would be sculpted.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

I see your point but wouldn't Ares kidnapping Nubia have happened when he was still at his peak evil phase? I can see Ares trying to pit them against each other because he is not fully redeemed yet.

Bonus points, if you reveal that Phillipus is Nubian and that she named her daughter after her old home land.
    Okay, damn. That's a really great way to rework her name. Not that it has to be with Phillipus specifically, but very cool.

Yep. I remember that thread but I recall agreeing with her at the time but that was before Tumblr really took and it was on there that Nubia went viral and I started changing my mind about the character.
    What kind of Tumblr posts were happening with Nubia?

So explain some things about your headcanon with this kidnapped origin. From what I gather, you guys want Nubia to have been made by Hippolyta and Philippus at the same time as Diana and kidnapped a few days after her birth. Deimos and Phobos were the ones that kidnapped her but nobody knew about it. Diana doesn't remember Nubia but Hippolyta eventually told her.

How far did Hippolyta and Philippus go searching for Nubia? If Diana knew she had a twin that was kidnapped, wouldn't that become her main motivation behind leaving Paradise Island, instead of helping the world? Wouldn't Diana's first priority have been getting the gods to save her twin? In all her encounters with the gods, why didn't they ever help her find Nubia? How come the gods themselves didn't care about the fate of Nubia? They went through all the trouble of blessing her with life and with powers.

And what kind of place was Nubia in all this time to the point that even the gods didn't know about her location? What is she like after spending her entire life having her whole reality made by Deimos and Phobos, kept in a place I assume even the gods didn't know about? Wouldn't she have a twisted mind if she was raised in the home of these demented dudes with no contact with the outside world?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    So explain some things about your headcanon with this kidnapped origin. From what I gather, you guys want Nubia to have been made by Hippolyta and Philippus at the same time as Diana and kidnapped a few days after her birth. Deimos and Phobos were the ones that kidnapped her but nobody knew about it. Diana doesn't remember Nubia but Hippolyta eventually told her.

How far did Hippolyta and Philippus go searching for Nubia? If Diana knew she had a twin that was kidnapped, wouldn't that become her main motivation behind leaving Paradise Island, instead of helping the world? Wouldn't Diana's first priority have been getting the gods to save her twin? In all her encounters with the gods, why didn't they ever help her find Nubia? How come the gods themselves didn't care about the fate of Nubia? They went through all the trouble of blessing her with life and with powers.

And what kind of place was Nubia in all this time to the point that even the gods didn't know about her location? What is she like after spending her entire life having her whole reality made by Deimos and Phobos, kept in a place I assume even the gods didn't know about? Wouldn't she have a twisted mind if she was raised in the home of these demented dudes with no contact with the outside world?
    I'm cool with her being kidnapped by Ares and raised in another dimension on Slaughter Island as it's only female and Queen.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

They could just go with the Ororo origin (one of my fave comic issues)

Do you guys think Nubia should be associated with Ahura Mazda or would you prefer her to associate with Anansi?

Just was reading the current issue of Wonder Woman and noticed Artemis and Apollo skin color are black and white and yet they are twins? This could’ve been the same thing done for Diana and Nubia.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    Just was reading the current issue of Wonder Woman and noticed Artemis and Apollo skin color are black and white and yet they are twins? This could’ve been the same thing done for Diana and Nubia.
    Yeeeees. Also, Diana and Artemis both refer to the Goddess of the Moon so another cool connection/theme to play with if they wanted could be associating Nubia with Apollo. All I know is I'm so ready for this Nubia resurgence!

Do you guys think Nubia should be associated with Ahura Mazda or would you prefer her to associate with Anansi?
    Anansi and all the gods and goddesses of the Yoruba. The Orisha are her Olympians.

SOURCE: https://www.comicsbeat.com/comicconh...tiverse-panel/

On the subject of bringing Nubia back, in a new role and into the current DCU continuity, Martinez said it was interesting to work with a character who has been around for a while but who doesn’t have that much history, and for whom some of the history is questionable. Martinez said the new series makes it feel like Nubia is “going to get to be a real Amazon this time.” She said as an artist she’s not used to having so much input as she does on Nubia and the Amazons, and that she feels a lot of pressure to fight for what she wants people to see in the series. “This is my chance to finally have that little girl see that reflection,” she added, stressing the importance of having the character available for people of color to look up to and to claim as their own.

Ayala added that this is the creative team’s opportunity to definitively say who Nubia is, and that they see the passion from Martinez in her artwork. Williams said her goal is to have Nubia stand on her own outside of being just ‘Wonder Woman’s black sister.’ “It’s not Player 2 colors,” Ayala added, saying that elevating the non-Diana Amazons is “the secret agenda” of everyone on the panel. Conrad said he’s excited to see how Nubia’s rise shakes up the rest of the Amazons, and that it will change the way readers view Diana as well.
    Last edited by SonOfBaldwin; 07-27-2021 at 05:00 AM.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

I'm excited to find out where they are going with this.

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    Yeeeees. Also, Diana and Artemis both refer to the Goddess of the Moon so another cool connection/theme to play with if they wanted could be associating Nubia with Apollo. All I know is I'm so ready for this Nubia resurgence!
    Oooh, I really love this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Anansi and all the gods and goddesses of the Yoruba. The Orisha are her Olympians.
    An Amazon Queen who doesn't recognize their traditional Gods. There is potential there.