Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    I don't think Nubia's origin is something they can just gloss over or hand wave. It's not the same as Diana, Nubia or Hippolyta remembering contradictory events from previous incarnations of the universe. We're dealing with basic logical consistency. I have seen no indication DC is going to be that loose with continuity or allow writers that much free reign. There is still main DC universe continuity most series take place in. Nubia and the Amazons will not be allowed to exist in it's own continuity like Real One where the clay origin is objectively true if Diana is still Zeus's daughter in the main continuity. They may allow Nubia to remember the Pre-Crisis universe, but Nubia will still need a origin and history that makes sense and is consistent with Diana's current origin and the current universe.
    If you say so. But Nubia and the Amazons will be an in-continuity book with Nubia as the daughter of Hippolyta and twin sister of Diana. That was one of the conditions McKinney had upon agreeing to write the book. Whether or not DC will feel compelled to address it for the continuity/consistency conscious out there remains to be seen.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    If you say so. But Nubia and the Amazons will be an in-continuity book with Nubia as the daughter of Hippolyta and twin sister of Diana. That was one of the conditions McKinney had upon agreeing to write the book. Whether or not DC will feel compelled to address it for the continuity/consistency conscious out there remains to be seen.
    That sounds like the team is going with the classic and iconic origin and good for them. I will have nothing to do with that other mess.

I know the writer, LL McKinney, has said that any Nubia she writes will be the long-lost twin sister of Diana and daughter of Hippolyta. And she's writing Nubia and the Amazons.

How they are going to explain Diana having both the "daughter of Zeus" and "made from clay" origins is, I imagine, no concern of DC's--since they have moved in the direction of "all stories matters, all are true" and have allowed creators to eschew or complicate or follow continuity if and how they want to, and detangled continuity from quality, allowing the stories to stand on their own with or without being beholden to whatever history came before.
    Editors used to edit...Stan Lee, Jim Shooter, Len Wein, Julius Schwartz, Max Gaines. Those cats were editors. We don't see their like, anymore. That letting celeb writers do whatever they like, continuity be damned - that isn't editing...

And that's why Wonder Woman is a gadblamed train wreck.

Nubia and Diana can be twins, in Hippolytas womb, separated ..before their birth. The Papi Zeus origin actually enables that twin scenario, quite well.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 03-24-2021 at 01:29 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Incredible Member

We'll see. But I'm very skeptic. I don't see her still objectively being Diana's twin without the clay origin and while I'd like the clay origin back I don't think we're getting that either. At best I see them allowing her to acknowledge the pre-crisis set up regardless of whether it's objectively true in the current universe. But that won't change the fact they will have to give Nubia an origin within the current universe.

She’s sister and twin sister. I’ve already asked Michael Conrad about this as well. He said it will stick.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    She’s sister and twin sister. I’ve already asked Michael Conrad about this as well. He said it will stick.
    I'm still questioning how it is suppose to work with the Zeus origin. But we'll see. I'm curious to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Editors used to edit...Stan Lee, Jim Shooter, Len Wein, Julius Schwartz, Max Gaines. Those cats were editors. We don't see their like, anymore. That letting celeb writers do whatever they like, continuity be damned - that isn't editing...

And that's why Wonder Woman is a gadblamed train wreck.

Nubia and Diana can be twins, in Hippolytas womb, separated ..before their birth. The Papi Zeus origin actually enables that twin scenario, quite well.
    That's a bit of revisionist history. Otherwise, Wonder Girl would never exist. Wonder Girl is the result of an editorial mistake/oversight.

Also, DC's target audience, which is now much more than comic book collectors, aren't tied to continuity like we die-hards are. My niece is 10. She LOVES Wonder Woman and Nubia. It doesn't bother her one bit that there are "daughter or Zeus" and "made from clay" origins out there and that they conflict. All she cares about are the adventures of two powerful sisters.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

That's a bit of revisionist history. Otherwise, Wonder Girl would never exist. Wonder Girl is the result of an editorial mistake/oversight...
    You're referring to the Kanigher Era, with Wonder Tot, Mister Genie and Fish Boy! That wasn't editing, either, ..and that's why I didn't list Bob Kanigher, among those great editors. Furthermore, though Bob was a superior and accomplished editor, he thought WW was a silly comic ..and chose not edit the comic, with the care and restraint his peers were giving other comics. If that's not enough, he said in an interview that he never wanted to edit WW, anyway, ..preferring to work on Westerns or war comics, at the time.

Mentioning Bob Kanigher and editing the WW comic in the same sentence--there's your revisionist history!

Kanigher gave us Wonder Girl and Noobs, but, that doesn't get him a pass for the years of editorial waste he brought the comic. which really hurt its development of a supporting cast and archenemy...really hurt the comic and set its progress, back, several decades behind other post-war superhero comics.

Our kids will never miss, what they never had: real editors of superhero comics, ..the kind that built the comic book industry and created a genre of fantasy adventure. It doesn't matter that they don't care about them, ..because they don't know they're having an inferior artistic experience and will never be able to compare it to anything.I

And Nubia is one of the greatest casualties of what passes for editing, these days. She could have been developed into a GREAT supporting character, before superhero comic editors went soft and started caring more about celebrity talent and short term successes, ..than putting out a top-drawer WW comic.

Nubia should be as well known, as Huntress and Power Girl...not just catching on, with a few fans. You can thank Bob Kanigher's special attention for that.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 03-24-2021 at 03:50 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post

Nubia should be as well known, as Huntress and Power Girl...not just catching on, with a few fans. You can thank Bob Kanigher's special attention for that.
    From what I understand, DC has bigger goals for Nubia. They're hoping that, for a new generation of readers, she's going to be as big as Wonder Woman. These are new times. I'm excited to see what's ahead.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Looks like Nubia will be making an appearance in the Wonder Girl book:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMRgmoxh-OV/

Joelle's Nubia design in color:

In this new book, does Nubia have bracelets? Does she have a lasso?
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    In this new book, does Nubia have bracelets? Does she have a lasso?
    In future state she was shown with a lasso and bracelet but we weren’t told if it was different than Diana’s lasso or not. In the infinite frontier Wonder Woman chapter it wasn’t really shown that any Amazon were wearing the bracelets.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Joelle's Nubia design in color:

I think Nubia’s has parentage is a secret that her and hippolyta only know about.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    I'm still questioning how it is suppose to work with the Zeus origin. But we'll see. I'm curious to say the least.

Diana was born of Zeus while Nubia was born of clay? Maybe the DNA came from Zeus but their bodies were made of clay. There is a number of ways they could play it. Though I really wish they would get rid of the Zeus thing and just say they were both made of clay.

Nubia could be the daughter of Hippolyta and Phillipus (I've slowly come around to this idea) or Ares created her out of clay with Hippolyta's blood but she was later accepted into the Amazon's tribe.

Award winning author L.L. McKinney discusses her story development for both the NUBIA FUTURE STATE Comic as well as the upcoming NUBIA:REAL ONE graphic novel. She is joined by Eisner Award winning Artist Alitha Martinez and Robyn Smith in a discussion moderated by Karama Horne about breathing new life into one of DC Comics oldest characters.
    https://youtu.be/Gc27PKh-lP8