Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    My top 3...

Attachment 109733

Attachment 109737

Attachment 109738

I was happy with the Post-Crisis look, the dreads and the lion instead of an eagle. Nubia should be the lion of the Wonder Woman Family, fierce, regal and deadly.

Joelle Jones got her perfectly.
    The Lion has to make sense though. If she has spent her life on Themiscryia then her taking on the Lion as a symbol doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    The Lion has to make sense though. If she has spent her life on Themiscryia then her taking on the Lion as a symbol doesn't make sense.
    I was not always sure if it was a lion or a bird or maybe Mar's face even.

I guess if it is a Lion, it was used because the Lion is seen as the King of the Jungle, the toughest predator in Africa.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Incredible Member

Lions appear in Greek Mythology and writings(The Nemean Lion for example). So a lion motif could still make a lot of sense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...ope#In_culture

Lions feature in ancient Greek mythology and writings, including the myth of the Nemean lion, which was believed to be a supernatural lion that occupied the sacred town of Nemea in the Peloponnese.[30] Homer mentioned lions 45 times in his poems, but this could have been due to his experience in Asia Minor.[9] Phalaecus, a tyrant of Amvrakia (modern-day Arta), was allegedly killed by a female lion due to his holding a newborn lion cub, after finding it on a hunting expedition.[31] Conon refers to the myth of how Olynthus city got its name, when during around the period of the Trojan War, son of Strymon, Olynthos during a lion hunt was killed by a lion.[32] According to Herodotus lions occurred between Achelous river and Nestus, being plentiful between Akanthos and Thermi. When Xerxes advanced near Echedorus in 480 BC, the troops' camels were attacked by lions.[27] Xenophon stated around 400 BC that lions were hunted around Mount Kissos, Pangaio, the Pindus mountains and elsewhere.[14] Aristotle in the 4th century BC provided some data on lion distribution, behaviour, breeding and also anatomy. According to him, lions were more numerous in North Africa than in Europe; they had approached towns, and attacked people only if they were old, or had poor dental health.[13] Pliny the Elder mentions that European lions were stronger compared to those from Syria and Africa.[33] In the 2nd century AD, Pausanias referred to lion presence east of Nestus in Thrace, in the area of Abdera. He also referred to a story about Polydamas of Skotoussa, an Olympic winner in the 5th century BC, who allegedly used his bare hands to kill a lion on Thessalian part of Mount Olympus; and to one about Caranus of Macedon who according to the Macedonians, raised a trophy that was thrown down and destroyed by a lion that was rushing down from Mount Olympus.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    Lions appear in Greek Mythology and writings(The Nemean Lion for example). So a lion motif could still make a lot of sense.

It can make sense but when majority of the Amazons are repping the Eagle motif, Nubia having the Lion seems strange.

It can make sense but when majority of the Amazons are repping the Eagle motif, Nubia having the Lion seems strange.
    Im looking forward to them filling in some missing bits with Nubia. That future state thing hinted at her being raised by Anansi which would presume she wasn't on the island. Which leaves me with questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post

Well, lions in Antiquity lived also in Southern Europe (or at least Greece and part of Italy I think). If you look at the ancient art depicting lions, especially in fight with gladiators, you'll notice that they aren't african lions but closer to indian lions.

With the lion and dreadlocks I was thinking about connecting Nubia to black culture and the attributes that lions possess, it's a whole thing...

lions.jpg

The lion is the symbol of Rastafari, it represents Emperor of Ethiopia Haile Selassie I, who is referred to as the 'Conquering Lion of Judah' who Rastafari revere. Their dreadlocks represent the lion's mane. I know Nubia isn't Rastafarian, I just think lions are cool and that her Post-Crisis writer Doselle Young was on to something. As a chest emblem they make more sense than the winged dragon scribble she had initially and as Artemisfanboy so profoundly illuminated they could easily have a connection to Themyscira. They also go with the jungle motif of "Slaughter Island" contained within her original backstory that I loved.

NUBIA ARMOR.jpg
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 05-21-2021 at 09:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    But she does call her niece and said to have raised Nubia.
    Maybe after she was separated from the Amazons, she was raised by Anansi? In the original story, Nubia came from a different tribe.

Do they though?

Most of the Amazons are usually shown sporting gowns. Only WW and Hippolyta are normally shown sporting the eagle symbol.

Historia and Legend of WW already establish that different Amazons worship different Gods and carry their symbols. While these stories aren't canon, that element can easily be folded into mainline WW's canon.

The lion symbol on Nubia could either reference the tribe that raised her or it's something related to Greek Mythology like the Namean Lion.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Maybe after she was separated from the Amazons, she was raised by Anansi? In the original story, Nubia came from a different tribe.

Do they though?

Most of the Amazons are usually shown sporting gowns. Only WW and Hippolyta are normally shown sporting the eagle symbol.

Historia and Legend of WW already establish that different Amazons worship different Gods and carry their symbols. While these stories aren't canon, that element can easily be folded into mainline WW's canon.

The lion symbol on Nubia could either reference the tribe that raised her or it's something related to Greek Mythology like the Namean Lion.
    I’m thinking she was missing for some time and made her way back to Themyscira.

Nubia's origin story is fast-approaching Donna Troy levels of confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Hera help her ‘cause that’s the level where good characters go to die.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

I don't think so, it's just that each version has a different one. There's the first Pre-Crisis one sculpted from clay and kidnapped by Mars, the second one Post-Crisis Themysciran Amazon sent to guard Doom's Doorway from the inside and the third which will be told in her upcoming book.

True, but like both characters, we love 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    Hera help her ‘cause that’s the level where good characters go to die.
    Haha, I see what ya did there. I miss those "Hera help me" and "Hera give me strength" sayings.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    True, but like both characters, we love 'em!
    Indeed, indeed.

I would like though, if I could explain her origin to people. Already, if someone asks me what Donna's origin is I gotta spin a wheel.

If someone could hammer out the dents in Nubia's origin (and then leave it the hell alone) that would me much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Nubia has had a lot of looks since her debut in '73, from her original armor, something more like Diana's get up, the couple of black and yellow outfits she had, etc. What would you say is your favorite outfit of hers is?
    The silver costume easily. Whenever she wears a costume that looks like Diana's I find it boring and unimaginative.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    This should be here too:

Joelle Jones did an amazing job with Nubia! Nubia with natural hair styles (braids, dreads, etc) is the best way to go.