Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Okay, as much as I normally disagree with Alpha
    Haha, You're right though. You are the Yang to my Yin.

Some revision of Diana's history would certainly help a bit. Although I think it might also dramatically change Diana. If she knows her sister has been missing all this time, leaving Paradise Island might not be just to help the world, but to find Nubia herself.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I never said it was racist.

Look, I'm not interested in filling the pages trying to convince people to hate something. But I still don't see why people are so interested in that particular backstory. It's not creative or intelligent, or meaningful. There are so many better ways to approach the character, and you are sticking to one of the weakest ideas.
    You are contradicting yourself: "I'm not interested in filling the pages trying to convince people to hate something"....and yet you have been quite insistent on convincing us that the story is "not creative or intelligent, or meaningful." That is as condescending as you get. Let people enjoy what they enjoy. We Nubia fans are looking forward to the character's resurgence, and you can simply ignore her. No harm done.

Dude I'm not complaining about the current Nubia. Someone here disliked the fact that Nubia won't be Diana's sister anymore, and I was defending a decision I agree with. I fully intend to enjoy the new Nubia book.
    Last edited by Alpha; 07-20-2021 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    Nubia and the Amazons writer Stephanie Williams reveals in a recent podcast interview that Nubia will no longer be Diana's twin sister, though they will have a "connection."

Nubia will, of course, interact with Philippus, with Williams noting how infrequently Black women characters are permitted to interact in a congenial manner in comic books.

Nubia and the Amazons will be Nubia's "T'Challa moment" and it will be about establishing her origin, powers, and place in history. Her hero's quest story, essentially.

Starts at about the 2:00:00 mark:

https://anchor.fm/cerebrocast/episod...lliams-e14iprj
    I fully endorse this decision and I'm excited to find out her new backstory

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Okay, as much as I normally disagree with Alpha, I do think the part about Diana not knowing about Nubia should be left out.
    Same here, just have Diana in on the loop and not oblivious to it.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    You are contradicting yourself: "I'm not interested in filling the pages trying to convince people to hate something"....and yet you have been quite insistent on convincing us that the story is "not creative or intelligent, or meaningful." That is as condescending as you get. Let people enjoy what they enjoy. We Nubia fans are looking forward to the character's resurgence, and you can simply ignore her. No harm done.
    Yeah, I remember Gail Simone didn't get her either. She didn't even like her name, she thought it was too much on the nose. I had to point out to her that as far as African-American names go it's not that big a stretch, because I've personally known Black people named Ebony, Zaire, Eqypt, Asia and at least 3 Kenyas. I even knew a guy named Blue, because his skin was so dark it was blue. lol
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 07-20-2021 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    That might work for an original character (not named Nubia or Donna) but I think there has been enough wholesale rewriting of character's backstories. I rather writers find a way to improve what is already there. We have enough confusion about characters and their backstories as it is. Wholesale rewriting usually means somebody else down the line will do the same.

Nubia is defined by being Diana's sister and also the first champion. Do variations of that, like how Nubia: Real One used the former to craft a different story for Nubia while still retaining her as Diana's sister. Though you claim that Nubia's backstory as it is is problematic, I say her story has potential to be really powerful. You have a young black girl who was kidnapped from her own culture by a malevolent entity, raised in a culture other than her own and then manipulated as a weapon against her birth culture. Yet, she manages to break out of her curse, reconnect with both her birth culture and adopted culture and stand as equals with her blood sister. I think this has potential to resonate with people the same way Killmonger resonated with so many except without villanization.
    The way you’ve encapsulated this does sound compelling. Am I correct in assuming it doesn’t require Nubia to be Diana’s twin? It’s the twin notion that, to me, dilutes Diana’s uniqueness.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Whelp I guess Nubia’s future state stories are in the trash now. I wish they would’ve lead with this in the first place. Instead of changing their minds at the last minute as usual. Probably why LL wasn’t asked back to write the book.

What are you talking about? I don't recall Future State saying anything other than Nubia having powers from another pantheon.

What are you talking about? I don't recall Future State saying anything other than Nubia having powers from another pantheon.
    Screenshot_20210718-192313.jpg Hippolyta is taking the place of the champion in place of letting her daughter do that...

Isn't that from Infinite Frontier #0?

Isn't that from Infinite Frontier #0?
    In future state she was called the “lost princess” and it was also referenced that Queen Diana and Nubia weren’t on speaking terms.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    Whelp I guess Nubia’s future state stories are in the trash now. I wish they would’ve lead with this in the first place. Instead of changing their minds at the last minute as usual. Probably why LL wasn’t asked back to write the book.
    Yeah, I was legit shook when I saw the Nubia book announced without LL McKinney, whose work I really enjoyed.

I'm looking forward to the book but it does feel like a sudden about face.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimbo View Post
    Yeah, I was legit shook when I saw the Nubia book announced without LL McKinney, whose work I really enjoyed.

I'm looking forward to the book but it does feel like a sudden about face.
    Same here!!! I wanted to see how this was going to play out! And what is this “connection”? Lol

Full variant cover by Joshua Swaby:

SOURCE: https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status...38196554567680
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.