Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

I suspect a Nubia book might be in the works here.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    I suspect a Nubia book might be in the works here.
    Reading the backup feature in IWW, I got that sense too.

They seem to be connecting her to Yoruba gods, which sounds wonderful. DC opening their mythology past Greek gods can do wonders.

after reading the conclusion of Nubia: Future State, while I think it was a solid story, I don't know if I like connecting Nubia to African gods when she's supposed to be the twin of Wonder Woman; I don't think it meshes well for me.

I get the twin aspect is an way of easily bootstrapping her significance in the Wonder mythos and the wider DC universe but as her twin she's Greek, she is entirely removed from African heritage, so it's weird to now have this sort if familial relationship with Anansi (which I feel probably should've been a different god but that's a different issue) and then connecting her to Oshun. they even made her hair the shape of Africa in the promo.

i dug the story, it's the meta of it I'm not sold on.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 02-20-2021 at 01:07 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

[double post]
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I'm cool with connecting Nubia to African Gods. I think I've floated the idea on this sub forum before. It gives her her own unique niche while also expanding the WW franchise.

I didn't notice that about her hair. Seems a tad bit too on the nose.

Generally, I think connecting Nubia to African Gods is a good way to expand on her character, but the Greek Gods shouldn't simply be forgotten. They should play a role in her stories and especially her history. The interplay between the gods should be possible now that DC seems to connect the mythological realms anyway.
    To me, it sounds as if Nubia formed a connection to the African Gods after she leaves Themyscira. Probably after the major family trouble that Circe hinted at?

But I also think there should have been more thought put into what it truly means for Nubia to be Diana's twin. Especially considering L.L. McKinney specified that she won't write Nubia unless she is Diana's twin.

I too am not sure how to feel about Anansi being the main connection to the African Gods.
    Last edited by Avi; 02-18-2021 at 05:58 AM. Reason: wrong writer name, well, this is embarrassing

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    Just read this issue. It was pretty weird. Hippolyta kept saying “ my other daughter” and hippolyta randomly adopting Kara. So weird
    Being the “other daughter” is one of the reasons I wish DC would jettison the twin sister angle altogether. I don’t think it brings her the significance others think it does. It reminds me of what they used to call William & Harry back in the day - the heir & the spare...

Nubia and the Amazons is among the titles recently announced by DC

https://www.gamesradar.com/dc-announ...w-2021-titles/

L.L. McKinney Talks About Writing Nubia: Real One & Shooting Your Shot

https://youtu.be/JdWtQyirwRQ
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

They're saying some horrible things about L.L. McKinney on other sites. Nubia: Real One is making a lot of people angry. That's too bad, I loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    They're saying some horrible things about L.L. McKinney on other sites. Nubia: Real One is making a lot of people angry. That's too bad, I loved it.
    Were they upset there wasn't a lot of typical super-hero action in it? (Like fighting supervillains, using superpowers, ect.)

I haven't read it yet but while scrolling through YT I stumbled upon a dudebro complaining about the fact that the book addressed racism.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Were they upset there wasn't a lot of typical super-hero action in it? (Like fighting supervillains, using superpowers, ect.)
    Here are some copy and pasted quotes without the names attached...

"I'm glad you enjoyed this book, but sorry I don't want to even touch it. The book is filled to the brim with virtue signaling, horrible writing, terrible art (check out how hideous Wonder Woman looks in it), and the author is a flaming racist (she only wanted to work with a black artist). Also, why the subtitle "Real One"? And another thing, why is it so hard to have a cool black lead character without it being about race politics. It's getting old. The author of that book needs to read some Spawn, (classic) New Warriors, Blade, or even Black Panther."

"Why is this even YA? Way too much cussing, school shootings, etc. DC should have never marketed this to kids."

"This author must have been born in 1803 considering how ridiculously hillarious her view of white people is. It’s as if she genuinely believes every white person is racist and has everything handed to them for free. She writes like a teenager who hasn’t been in the real world or ever spoken to another human being"

"I've read the book. It's honestly the worst take I've ever seen and it's pretty much another YA novel. Also the author is racist. If he can't say Monkey, then she can't say, Mayo ass. Not to mention the wokeness is tiresome and the logic makes me lose braincells trying to figure out some of these things... It makes my head hurt and frustrates me."
    Story is awful, just trash. Come on, the only time a cell phone video or picture is ever useful is when a kid is in class? Now we know why grades suck. Every single speaking white person is evil? their dialog is 5th grade at best, nobody speaks like that. The art, well, how low can you go. There is nothing good here"

I saw scans from Nubia: Real One and I like the take on Nubia's origin. Keeps the old while bringing in new elements. Will definitely pick this up.