Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

I actually read the book and I loved it.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I enjoyed Nubia: Real One, it seems it is a bit too real for some people though.

Only thing I didnt like was Nubias origin of being kidnapped and put into stasis for hundreds of years to the point where she is a teenager to an adult Wonder Woman. Seemed like a forced way to have their cake and eat it to w/out any real pay off.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I enjoyed Nubia: Real One, it seems it is a bit too real for some people though.

Only thing I didnt like was Nubias origin of being kidnapped and put into stasis for hundreds of years to the point where she is a teenager to an adult Wonder Woman. Seemed like a forced way to have their cake and eat it to w/out any real pay off.
    I 100% agree with you! That is my only disagreement is the origin.

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post

I am not sure I understand. I know what the phrase "have their cake and it too" means, but I am unsure as to what it applies to in this context.

Quote Originally Posted by Natamaxxx View Post
    Being the “other daughter” is one of the reasons I wish DC would jettison the twin sister angle altogether. I don’t think it brings her the significance others think it does. It reminds me of what they used to call William & Harry back in the day - the heir & the spare...
    You don't want the twin sister thing or the sister thing period? I am torn on this; I love Nubia and I want her to be an important aspect of the WW mythos not just in the comics but in all media. In fact, my ideal WW book would have three main amazons: Diana, Nubia, and Donna (while Wonder Woman 3 would also introduce Nubia). However, another part of me thinks that Hyppolita should have just one child, while Nubia and Donna should be the queen's spiritual daughters. I don't know...I am still trying to figure out how I feel about the potential narrative/storytelling pros and cons of Nubia and Diana being sisters.
    Last edited by FutureWonder; 02-28-2021 at 06:44 AM.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    I am not sure I understand. I know what the phrase "have their cake and it too" means, but I am unsure as to what it applies to in this context.
    You can keep your cake even though you ate it. They wanted to keep Nubia as Dianas twin but came up with a story where she is drastically younger than Diana and has Diana as a mentor/someone to look up to.

I'm actually hoping Nubia isn't actually Diana's twin. Her connections and heritage seem completely different from Diana's. She's not treated like family either... It also doesn't even make sense.

It seems like in all the years that Nubia was away from the comics, DC made Donna Diana's twin in many ways (looking so much like Diana, very similar power levels of the same powers, even taking on the mantle of WW). But not sure what DC is doing with Donna now or how they will reconcile all three lovely ladies. They could still all be sisters with different goddesses as their patrons of powers.
    Last edited by Phoenixx9; 03-02-2021 at 11:01 AM.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    I'm actually hoping Nubia isn't actually Diana's twin. Her connections and heritage seem completely different from Diana's. She's not treated like family either... It also doesn't even make sense.
    Yeah, I had no idea what they were going for with Nubia on if she's an actual sibling or not.

Hopefully the Nubia and Amazons book clears this up.

It seems like it’s more of a secret than anything. Hippolyta said “a mother shouldn’t see her child die”

I mean, I'm sure it's not intentional but there's a not so great implication of Hippolyta hiding her black daughter and exalting her white one. It's an odd choice.

Her original origin is still the best and most interesting one (though I really don't care for the secret lost twin trope). In Real One her connection to the Amazons feels tacked on, she might as well be a new character who has nothing to do with Wonder Woman. And Ares kidnapping her just to keep her in a stasis mode for years is silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    It seems like in all the years that Nubia was away from the comics, DC made Donna Diana's twin in many ways (looking so much like Diana, very similar power levels of the same powers, even taking on the mantle of WW). But not sure what DC is doing with Donna now or how they will reconcile all three lovely ladies. They could still all be sisters with different goddesses as their patrons of powers.
    That's one way to connect the dots. Donna debuted in 1965. Nubia debuted in 1973. Donna's existence is owed to a typo and her connection to Diana was severed Post Crisis and then restored again only for it devolve into a convoluted mess.

Sadly, I think Donna and Cassie are in limbo now. Since they are doing a slow roll out, we might hear something in a year or two but right now it looks like they are focused on Nubia and Yara.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Her original origin is still the best and most interesting one (though I really don't care for the secret lost twin trope). In Real One her connection to the Amazons feels tacked on, she might as well be a new character who has nothing to do with Wonder Woman. And Ares kidnapping her just to keep her in a stasis mode for years is silly.
    Ehhhh, I feel the opposite. Her original origin was what felt bolted on. "Diana! Here is your sister that I never bothered to mention before!". Here, Diana was in the loop the whole time. The stasis thing only serves to keep Nubia young since its a YA book. For me, this is the only time the idea of Hippolyta sculpting another child really worked for me.

Also, I know that for a lot of people, Nubia's main selling point is the fact that she is Diana's twin but for me, all her interesting aspects are the ones that have nothing to do with her being Diana's twin; kidnapped Amazon raised to be a weapon by Ares only to rebel against her programming to become an honorary Amazon but goes on to connect with other Gods instead of just the Greek Gods' as well as the 'first champion' angle that Perez did are way more interesting than 'long lost twin'.

Nubia: Real One's L.L. McKinney & Robyn Smith Get Real With DC's Amazon Hero

https://www.cbr.com/nubia-real-one-e...ith-interview/

Last edited by SonOfBaldwin; 03-03-2021 at 02:01 PM.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Nubia And Hippolyta's Wonder Woman Role In DC Infinite Frontier #0

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/nubi...nite-frontier/

Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.