Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 255 of 316
  1. #241
    I hate Christmas Matternativ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Austria, Vienna
    Posts
    2,400

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    The fact that someone still thinks a bow and arrow works against aliens and robots shows you how much realism matters!
    Rule of cool. And Bows are infinitely cooler than guns.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

    Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Assassin's Creed - Ranked From Worst to Best
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: You are wrong about Mara Jade - More than just "the Wife"

  2. #242
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    6,163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    Rule of cool. And Bows are infinitely cooler than guns.
    Agree to disagree

  3. #243
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    The fact that someone still thinks a bow and arrow works against aliens and robots shows you how much realism matters!
    Hawkeye's arrows would be far more useful than most guns against aliens and robots. After all, Clint isn't generally using just regular arrows--he's got explosive arrows, and stun/shock arrows, and acid arrows, EMP arrows, etc. He's got almost as much firepower as some Iron Man suits--he just uses a different delivery system.

  4. #244
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    6,163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Hawkeye's arrows would be far more useful than most guns against aliens and robots. After all, Clint isn't generally using just regular arrows--he's got explosive arrows, and stun/shock arrows, and acid arrows, EMP arrows, etc. He's got almost as much firepower as some Iron Man suits--he just uses a different delivery system.
    I should explain myself. My point is Iron Man could design a gun which fires the same arrowheads, but without requiring him to pull a bow, and could reload it instantly. Doesn't even have to be Iron Man necessarily

  5. #245
    Incredible Member OOTCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I should explain myself. My point is Iron Man could design a gun which fires the same arrowheads, but without requiring him to pull a bow, and could reload it instantly. Doesn't even have to be Iron Man necessarily
    There's a stigma against superheroes using guns, like it or not. Even when compared with weapons that Iron Man and War Machine have built into their suits which are much more powerful than bullets. People just don't like to see superheroes holding gun-shaped weapons.

    There's a funny bit in New Avengers where they're scoping out a scene with some bad guys, and BuckyCap (who's just come out of the shadows recently after being freed from Winter Soldier brainwashing) tries to pass out guns all around. All the Avengers recoil (which makes sense tactically, since the characters who do it are Spider-Man and Captain-then-Ms.-Marvel, whose natural powers are much stronger than guns), and he's utterly confused.

  6. #246
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    6,163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OOTCS View Post
    There's a stigma against superheroes using guns, like it or not. Even when compared with weapons that Iron Man and War Machine have built into their suits which are much more powerful than bullets. People just don't like to see superheroes holding gun-shaped weapons.

    There's a funny bit in New Avengers where they're scoping out a scene with some bad guys, and BuckyCap (who's just come out of the shadows recently after being freed from Winter Soldier brainwashing) tries to pass out guns all around. All the Avengers recoil (which makes sense tactically, since the characters who do it are Spider-Man and Captain-then-Ms.-Marvel, whose natural powers are much stronger than guns), and he's utterly confused.
    But that's stupid. They don't seem to have a problem killing people.

  7. #247
    Incredible Member OOTCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    But that's stupid. They don't seem to have a problem killing people.
    They absolutely have an issue killing people. It's against the Avengers charter to kill, and Avengers have been court-martialed for accidental killing, including when Clint accidentally killed Egghead, if I recall correctly. On top of that, Clint famously kicked Mockingbird, his own wife, out of the Avengers because she decided not to save the life of her rapist during a fight.

  8. #248
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    6,163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OOTCS View Post
    They absolutely have an issue killing people. It's against the Avengers charter to kill, and Avengers have been court-martialed for accidental killing, including when Clint accidentally killed Egghead, if I recall correctly. On top of that, Clint famously kicked Mockingbird, his own wife, out of the Avengers because she decided not to save the life of her rapist during a fight.
    I mean when fighting big alien invasions. I haven't been explaining my points well. I'm fairly pro-heroes not killing, at least in small scale events.

    Although Idk if a woman should have to save the life of her rapist

    Regardless, him using a bow with an exploding arrowhead isn't somehow going to be more evil if he shoots the arrowhead with a gun or other weapon. Stark could give him a glove with a mini repulsor

  9. #249
    Incredible Member OOTCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I mean when fighting big alien invasions. I haven't been explaining my points well. I'm fairly pro-heroes not killing, at least in small scale events.

    Although Idk if a woman should have to save the life of her rapist
    Yeah, most of the team was on her side and quit in solidarity (and Wasp gave him a good talking-to), and he ended up apologizing for it later.

    Regardless, him using a bow with an exploding arrowhead isn't somehow going to be more evil if he shoots the arrowhead with a gun or other weapon. Stark could give him a glove with a mini repulsor
    You're not wrong, but a big part of the appeal of superheroes is a) branding and b) escapism. Guns are mundane. Bow and arrows are different. A mini repulsor might be more effective, but the whole Hawkeye thing is part of his shtick. I think he just likes the way the bow feels in his hands. The truth is that he's played around with different identities and different weapons, and it's not out of the question for him to try out some more. But I think for Clint Barton, the familiarity of the bow and arrows is comforting, and he'll always return to them.

  10. #250
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    6,163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OOTCS View Post
    Yeah, most of the team was on her side and quit in solidarity (and Wasp gave him a good talking-to), and he ended up apologizing for it later.



    You're not wrong, but a big part of the appeal of superheroes is a) branding and b) escapism. Guns are mundane. Bow and arrows are different. A mini repulsor might be more effective, but the whole Hawkeye thing is part of his shtick. I think he just likes the way the bow feels in his hands. The truth is that he's played around with different identities and different weapons, and it's not out of the question for him to try out some more. But I think for Clint Barton, the familiarity of the bow and arrows is comforting, and he'll always return to them.
    I can see what you mean, but for me escapism is seeing a guy who can shrink or cling to walls or blast lasers out of his eyes, not just a normal Joe with a bow

  11. #251
    I hate Christmas Matternativ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Austria, Vienna
    Posts
    2,400

    Default

    I can only think of three situations when (616) Clint played around with a gun at the top of my head.

    1) in Captain America & Hawkeye he threatened some dinosaur dude with one but never used it.
    2) During secret invasion he "borrowed" Nat's guns and mowed down a bunch of aliens.
    3) when he took on the dark reign avengers by himself he used several ballistic weapons but without actually trying to kill anyone but Osbourne.

    As for the "Avengers don't kill" thing: It's so very inconsistent, really. It used to be a big deal but nowadays it's something we that depends entirely on the author.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

    Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Assassin's Creed - Ranked From Worst to Best
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: You are wrong about Mara Jade - More than just "the Wife"

  12. #252
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    6,163

    Default

    Weren't they killing Cotati in Empyre?

  13. #253
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    65,283

    Default

    A bow and arrow are classic and have a lot more flair than a gun. Especially with trick arrows .
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Weren't they killing Cotati in Empyre?
    I mean, they're plant people so I feel like it's kind of vague...

  14. #254
    I hate Christmas Matternativ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Austria, Vienna
    Posts
    2,400

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    A bow and arrow are classic and have a lot more flair than a gun. Especially with trick arrows .

    I mean, they're plant people so I feel like it's kind of vague...
    [I am groot's angrily]
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

    Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Assassin's Creed - Ranked From Worst to Best
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: You are wrong about Mara Jade - More than just "the Wife"

  15. #255
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    65,283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    [I am groot's angrily]
    Groot can survive a lot .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •