Page 98 of 902 FirstFirst ... 4888949596979899100101102108148198598 ... LastLast
Results 1,456 to 1,470 of 13529
    Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

An AEW match I want to see: PAC vs Andrade

PAC is one of AEW's topmost in-ring talent. I've been so glad he's been back. His Feb 2020 Iron Man match vs Kenny Omega is right in there as far as the top 3-5 best matches in all of AEW history.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    An AEW match I want to see: PAC vs Andrade

PAC is one of AEW's topmost in-ring talent. I've been so glad he's been back. His Feb 2020 Iron Man match vs Kenny Omega is right in there as far as the top 3-5 best matches in all of AEW history.
    Hopefully PAC stays healthy long enough to have said match. He seems to have chronic ankle and knee issues. This is like the 4th or 5th time he has gone down with that ankle ... explains the style change over the years.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    sorry super, not eveybody idolizes joey styles or ecw. and to be fair excalibur is actually more knowledgeable about the talent in aew than joey was of the foreign/new talents ecw booked because he used to scout and book the majority of those talents.
    They may not idolize him but I have seen a number of indy announcers and even Excalibur try to be like Joey....and just fail. Sure Excalibur knows the foreign talent I'm betting and that is good. But it doesn't mean he's a good announcer given what we have seen. Mike Teney took some hits on how he'd announce and that man knew all about luchdores and Mexico as we know.

but he didn't wrestle malkai black 15yrs ago, he wrestled tommy end that was the point, he's not the same man he used to be.
    No one needed to know he was Tommy End 15 years ago. That is the point , he literally confused the audience at home who don't know this and now had 2 different names thrown at them during his debut.

maybe not the general audience but a large portion of the core audience knows excalibur as not just a wrestler but as an instrumental figure into the very existence aew. many people who watched indy wrestling beyond ecw know that w/o excalibur there is no pwg and w/o pwg there is no aew.
    To be fair the general audience just sees Excalibur as an announcer. Yes the deeper audience knows Excalibur's history for sure.

so corny marks?? who gives 2 shits what they think??
    Its more than marks , they likely agree on some of points Cornette has made. Or the jokes done about the announcing.

wow, just a slight exaggeration. listening to waaaaaaaay too much corny.
    Sadly I'm not exaggerating. I honestly believe Khan would sign Khali if AEW was around in 2000's lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    What super is getting at is when didn't need to know he was Tommy End. Allude to his past sure but no need to bring up his former name. It's important to sell the current persona not who the guy use to be.
    EXACTLY. Vince McMahon would go insane over the head set the moment Excalibur did this if this was WWE. Its a bet Excalibur would have been ripped backstage in that company. In AEW its a WCW deal where no one seems to care.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I think he fucked up. If the plan was for them to be unknown when they made their debut then it should have stayed that way. Suspense for these guys couldn't be built if we knew who they were from day one. Seeing how most wrestling fans didn't know them anyway it would have been better that way.
    I'd say he screwed up , no one in AEW spoke to him and its continued as we saw last night. AEW with its booking , signing any WWE talent and the announcing issues is like a WCW company.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    No one needed to know he was Tommy End 15 years ago. That is the point , he literally confused the audience at home who don't know this and now had 2 different names thrown at them during his debut.
    Considering the entire arena was chanting "Tommy End" I'd say that would happen regardless.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Space Ghost, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Extraordinary Member

Eh, I don’t see Khan going after Khali in this hypothetical scenario; the difference between this era of “pick up WWE’s forgotten men and women” and the previous ones from WCW and TNA has been that a) WWE has a much stronger (and accurate) reputation for talent selection and training through NXT which means, that most of Khan’s acquisitions are genuinely proven workers who simply didn’t get booked well on WWE’s main roster, and b) even the old hands AEW has picked up are proven workers, matching the company’s clear prioritization of that ability as their main qualifier for talent.

Don't get me wrong; Big Show and Henry are very much “snapped up because they were names and willing to sign on” kind of deal, very comparable in that respect to the way “trash talent” kept on getting jobs in previous competitions WWE won.

The difference is that AEW seems to be pursuing a philosophy of “don’t let perfect get in the way of good” as a business and booking idea; they don't seem to want to beat WWE as much as simply be a profitable wrestling business regardless of how the ‘E is managing things. Henry and Show haven’t done anything yet, and may not develop into anything really, but they’re not hogging the spotlight the way it would have been done on the old days, and again, both those guys could still deliver actual matches.

The many more younger dudes Khan is snatching up is more about the ‘E having proven these guys can be stars if not for Vince being the booker on his main shows, which is why, to be blunt, AEW *legtimately* has a far healthier undercard, tag team division, and roster than the main roster for WWE. The ‘E can still argue it’s top card dudes might be better and have more exposure, and as much as they’re messing up their women’s division now, they’re also only a good night or two from being better there as well. And the ‘E is far better at the technical aspects, and wouldn never have an “explosion botch”, the way AEW did.

But AEW is more intent on being competent week in and week out, and Khali was never really a competent decision by WWE, so they likely wouldn’t do it.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Extraordinary Member

IIRC, very few people knew about Black's debut. Cody, Tony, and a couple backstage guys. Excalibur likely didn't know the guy was going to be renamed.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Considering the entire arena was chanting "Tommy End" I'd say that would happen regardless.
    It's likely fans thought he would go back to his old name instead of having a new one. That's what Moxley and Brodie Lee did.

Astonishing Member

Lol at comparing AEW to final-days WCW when WWE's the one jobbing out their future talent to such hot prospects as a Fiftysomething Goldberg and a Just-Here-For-A-Cup-Of-Coffee Cain Velasquez.

AEW's far from perfect but give me a break.

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    Lol at comparing AEW to final-days WCW when WWE's the one jobbing out their future talent to such hot prospects as a Fiftysomething Goldberg and a Just-Here-For-A-Cup-Of-Coffee Cain Velasquez.

AEW's far from perfect but give me a break.
    Super wasn't comparing AEW to final days WCW. Just WCW in general where the company management didn't care what their wrestlers did on screen.

In other news, Bayley got injured during training and will out for nine months. A replacement for her match against Bianca at the PPV will be announced tonight

https://mobile.twitter.com/WWE/statu...66495347589123

Astonishing Member

In other news, Bayley got injured during training and will out for nine months. A replacement for her match against Bianca at the PPV will be announced tonight

https://mobile.twitter.com/WWE/statu...66495347589123
    NOOOOOOO! I was all ready to go for that Bayley vs. Becky feud!!

Ultimate Member

I NEVER liked Bayley so I'm glad that she's out for a good long while, maybe by the time that she comes back she'll end up on RAW...

Black did a stream on his wife twitch channel explaining a few things. It was his idea to be a heel. He wanted to be a heel on NXT but Triple H thought he would make a better face. He also talked about how he going to portray the character he wanted in WWE and use the ideas he pitched.
    i can understand he wants to do the character he had in mind for so long but people want to cheer him, especially while he's new.

I think he fucked up. If the plan was for them to be unknown when they made their debut then it should have stayed that way. Suspense for these guys couldn't be built if we knew who they were from day one. Seeing how most wrestling fans didn't know them anyway it would have been better that way.
    i don't believe that was ever the plan even if it would've been better. i don't think there was supposed to be some mystery men angle for pepper parks and a very green andy williams.

What super is getting at is when didn't need to know he was Tommy End. Allude to his past sure but no need to bring up his former name. It's important to sell the current persona not who the guy use to be.
    then why bring up the social media posts?? and you can't sell the transformation w/o mentioning his former persona which is tommy end.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    They may not idolize him but I have seen a number of indy announcers and even Excalibur try to be like Joey....and just fail. Sure Excalibur knows the foreign talent I'm betting and that is good. But it doesn't mean he's a good announcer given what we have seen. Mike Teney took some hits on how he'd announce and that man knew all about luchdores and Mexico as we know.
    sorry but no. excalibur, super dragon, lost, ryan etc were not ecw fans, they were marks for M-pro, old school ajpw, 80's and attitude era wwe. you don't see that ecw influence in pwg that you do in a bunch of those other early 2000's upstart indys.

did you even watch the social media videos you brought up?? i agree it was a little confusing, i myself hadn't seen the social media post from earlier that day but i believe the point they wanted him to get across was he was no longer tommy end(in effect selling is time in wwe as time spent in a looney bin). again i agree it was a little confusing but imagine how fukt it would've been had jr been given the task.

To be fair the general audience just sees Excalibur as an announcer. Yes the deeper audience knows Excalibur's history for sure.

Its more than marks , they likely agree on some of points Cornette has made. Or the jokes done about the announcing.
    sometimes it's cool to throw something out there for the well informed. it's like an easter egg, those who get it get it, those who don't don't care anyways.

Sadly I'm not exaggerating. I honestly believe Khan would sign Khali if AEW was around in 2000's lol.

EXACTLY. Vince McMahon would go insane over the head set the moment Excalibur did this if this was WWE. Its a bet Excalibur would have been ripped backstage in that company. In AEW its a WCW deal where no one seems to care.
    you must be mistaking aew for impact, see myers, cardona, and burt macklin for proof. the wwe guys aew are signing(to actually wrestle)are the guys they would've signed if they were available when they started.

seriously, the aew/wcw comparisons are laughable, unless you mean prime wcw.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    then why bring up the social media posts?? and you can't sell the transformation w/o mentioning his former persona which is tommy end.
    What transformation? He's making his debut.