Page 67 of 902 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177117167567 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 13529
    Astonishing Member

If you don't want to see OC vs. Omega, you don't like fun.

(And good wrestling)

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post

(And good wrestling)
    Or are Jim Cornette.

lulz
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member Kal-El Summers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Not accepting that the product being garbage is why we aren't in another boom period is dumb.
    No, there not being a transcendent talent or angle that would push pro wrestling back into the mainstream is why there isn't another boom period. WWE doesn't need it to make money and AEW constantly shoots itself in the foot too much to ever hope of having one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kal-El Summers View Post
    No, there not being a transcendent talent or angle that would push pro wrestling back into the mainstream is why there isn't another boom period. WWE doesn't need it to make money and AEW constantly shoots itself in the foot too much to ever hope of having one.
    this is the kind of insight that keeps me coming back to this thread. i've got to start thinking outside the box more. it never even occurred to me that aew is the reason there's no hope for another boom period in wrestling.

so what do you guys think will be on the cover of the death of aew book??

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post

(And good wrestling)
    I don't see the hype behind OC. His character makes it impossible for me to want to get behind him. I rather see Omega vs PAC again.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    this is the kind of insight that keeps me coming back to this thread. i've got to start thinking outside the box more. it never even occurred to me that aew is the reason there's no hope for another boom period in wrestling.

For their to be another boom period in wrestling there needs to be something that grabs a mainstream audience and frankly, AEW ain't doing it. They are doing typical PWG indie bullshit just on a larger stage. Can't have a boom if they want to stay niche.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    For their to be another boom period in wrestling there needs to be something that grabs a mainstream audience and frankly, AEW ain't doing it.
    idk about that, the last boom was sparked by word of mouth among wrestling fans. scott hall & kevin nash going to wcw was hardly a big deal to any mainstream audience. i agree that aew isn't going to spark another boom period but they've made a very positive impact on the industry already.

They are doing typical PWG indie bullshit just on a larger stage. Can't have a boom if they want to stay niche.
    stick with what brought you to the dance i say, i don't want to see aew turn into something else in some feeble attempt to create a boom. it's a wrestling show for fans of wrestling, that's good enough imo.

Default Re:

"So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

"So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

idk about that, the last boom was sparked by word of mouth among wrestling fans. scott hall & kevin nash going to wcw was hardly a big deal to any mainstream audience. i agree that aew isn't going to spark another boom period but they've made a very positive impact on the industry already.
    The Monday Night Wars started a build to the boom period. The audiences started to slowly trinkle in as the companies were at WAR against each other. When the War started in 1995 the combined rating of WCW/WWF was nearly a 5.0 . By the time Hall/Nash jumped the combined rating was now over 5.1 . Once Hogan turned and formed the NWO (once the boom period really began) ratings were now over 6.0+ combined .

The audience was growing into that boom period but the NWO angle super kicked it with Hogan's turn. That was the "moment" where the industry really began that period. People tuned in who hadn't watched for years to see Hulk Hogan as a bad guy. To see him do that. Its why his heel turn is considered the biggest heel turn in wrestling. The only one who could possibly equal that is...Cena ...possibly.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Astonishing Member

There's never going to be another 'boom period'...or at least not like what we saw during the Monday Night Wars. The landscape has changed way too much.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    There's never going to be another 'boom period'...or at least not like what we saw during the Monday Night Wars. The landscape has changed way too much.
    Exactly.

The original boom happened because there were a lot more people watching wrestling then. And kayfabe was still very much a thing...when Nash and Hall went to WCW vast majority of audiences didn't know it was a work. When the whole NWO thing started, it all seemed real and was passed off as such. All the stuff in the attitude era was "extreme 90s" but it was all passed off as real and people were tuning into see the wackiness of the product. That was when stuff like Jerry Springer and Jackass (in the early 2000s) was still huge. All that stuff just doesn't hit the same anymore and a lot of people will NEVER watch a pro-wrestling show because they know it isn't real.

Then when you add in just how different wresting is consumed nowadays and I can't see any pro-wrestling boom a la the 90s happening again.

I never understood how someone could no longer watch pro wrestling just because it's not "real." I figured out it was all staged when I was 10 years old, but I still enjoy it the same way I enjoy a super-hero movie. I mean, I know that Robert Downey Jr. isn't really flying around in a metal suit, but I still enjoy the movie.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    the internet killed wrestling. kayfabe is not what it used to be.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    I never understood how someone could no longer watch pro wrestling just because it's not "real." I figured out it was all staged when I was 10 years old, but I still enjoy it the same way I enjoy a super-hero movie. I mean, I know that Robert Downey Jr. isn't really flying around in a metal suit, but I still enjoy the movie.
    I think WWE accidentally contributed to it a bit with their sometimes unwise creative decisions; once you know your audience is fully in on the gimmick, you have to be able to intelligently construct it when you’re aware critical thoughts will be applied to it - much like superhero movies.

Vince is “the last of the carnies” in some ways, and while he’s still an excellent businessman, he’s often allowed his own “carny” beliefs about the audience to override simple observational skills or intelligent input from others, resulting in his product - the defining one for the business - as being highly artificial even beyond it being a pre-planned stunt show.

I think AEW’s emergence is a good thing, but not so much as a competitor or anything like that, but almost as a “release valve” the industry needed so that Vince’s combination of great profit-securmeent but poor entertainment knowledge doesn’t shrink the industry quiet as fast as it was.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP