Page 294 of 902 FirstFirst ... 194244284290291292293294295296297298304344394794 ... LastLast
Results 4,396 to 4,410 of 13529
    Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Maybe he can face Veer.

Really sad news about Scott Hall . RIP

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Speaking of WWE and Cody Rhodes ; the rumor machine was crazy today he would debut tonight. As someone tweeted the worst trick was making us watch entire episodes of RAW for 2 weeks. Lol
    Right I was really hoping he would appear last night during the Kevin Owens and Seth match. Even the crowd thought he was going to be there with audible chants for Cody at one point during Raw.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I hate to think Bischoff is right, but I think he might have a point on AEW failing some in terms of story, or if not failing, they could do a lot better:
    “I’ve been saying this from the get-go,” Bischoff said. “I’ve been saying from day one whether it’s about WWE or AEW, it’s a commitment to story and AEW is proving my point. The fact that they have plateaued is proving my point. You can add whoever you want to your roster and it won’t matter beyond a week or two unless the audience is engaged in a compelling story that makes them look forward to next week. Not because they’re just wrestling fans and they want to see a four-star Tokyo Dome [match], no, that’s not going to grow the audience."

“That’s going to satisfy the audience you already have. If you can have that phenomenal athletic match, great, and it’s the pay off to the story, that’s excellent, that’s perfect. But if you’re not building stories that people focus on, talk about, relate to, and make [the fans] want to come back every week and see where it’s going next, if you’re not doing that, I don’t give a damn.”
    https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/20...snt-increased/

Cornette broadly expresses the same point, and while Cornette is often overly cranky (and petty and personal), it does like feel their point has some broad merit, rings true. If Tony Khan wants a bigger TV contract to make a bigger AEW (with a bigger budget), they need better storytelling (for many feuds).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 03-15-2022 at 08:23 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I hate to think Bischoff is right, but I think he might have a point on AEW failing some in terms of story, or if not failing, they could do a lot better:

Cornette broadly expresses the same point, and while Cornette is often overly cranky (and petty and personal), it does like feel their point has some broad merit, rings true. If Tony Khan wants a bigger TV contract to make a bigger AEW (with a bigger budget), they need better storytelling (for many feuds).
    I think he has a point conceptually... but in application, AEW's doing pretty well, especially if we're comparing it to WWE. The CM Punk/MJF feud had a solid story behind it, Wardlow's face turn has been building for months with specific storytelling, Mox and Danielson built well considering how brief it is, and we can all see the ReDragon/Elite Feud coming, while Jericho just reinvented himself as a heel again.

I *do* feel that maybe we're seeing that, without Omega and the Elite acting as the Final Bosses right now, there's no singular guiding story, like there was with them and arguably with Jericho and the Inner Circle. And right now, Adam Page does need a bigger long term rival to move beyond being a "fighting champion..."

But WWE's been doing the same story for the last two years, with a bunch of extraneous stuff that doesn't matter or have attention at all below it.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Maybe he can face Veer.
    na, they still have to run vignettes for Veer for at least another 2 -3 months. Could Cody debut at Mania? Maybe Rollins comes to the ring and issues an open challenge to anyone in the back?

So is Cody in WWE or not? I keep seeing different reports.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Comically Veer never showing up and just vignettes of his arrival is pretty funny. They should keep doing it and let the announce team just rip on this. "Is this a joke ? Its been 6-7 months already." Have them rip on it and show vignettes on the Tron in the arena to see the fans boo them after so long. Then once they do this a few weeks....you finally have Veer appear ! The fans will make him the most hated annoying guy ever. (I'd have him air vignette announcing he'll be on the show later , then after he beats someone...a vignette airs of his 1st victory n so on)
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

I thought they should have done the vignettes and never show up thing last year with Eva Marie. She was an absolute waste on WWE, so having her never debut / wrestle would have been a better story.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Man ... WWE signed Rok-C.
    well she's young, she'll have time to recover.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post

i think they are building stories that people focus on, talk about, relate to, and make [the fans] want to come back every week and see where it’s going next.

i like the fact that aew focus is on making their current fans happy rather than stunts & swerves to try and get the attention of an audience that probably won't stick around anyways. they're building good faith and trust with their audience where they're not embarrassed to admit they watch and not afraid to show their friends & family. while that doesn't grow the audience rapidly and immediately imo it's the smarter long game.

still, i don't understand why people give a **** what bitchoff thinks. he had his 2nd chance to show his knowledge of the business in tna and all he showed was his ass.

Ultimate Member

Quite fun episode of NXT.

Aside from the wet fart of an ending to the Women’s title scene, it was a quite solid episode.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Joey Janela won't be renewing his contract with AEW.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/_denisesa...91991733551106

Good. The company got better talent on the roster than waste space on this guy

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Joey Janela won't be renewing his contract with AEW.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/_denisesa...91991733551106

Good. The company got better talent on the roster than waste space on this guy
    a shame they didn't do more with him, guy gets over everywhere and can play a number of different roles. joey and kayla rosi could've been a good act on tv.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    well she's young, she'll have time to recover.

i think they are building stories that people focus on, talk about, relate to, and make [the fans] want to come back every week and see where it’s going next.

i like the fact that aew focus is on making their current fans happy rather than stunts & swerves to try and get the attention of an audience that probably won't stick around anyways. they're building good faith and trust with their audience where they're not embarrassed to admit they watch and not afraid to show their friends & family. while that doesn't grow the audience rapidly and immediately imo it's the smarter long game.

still, i don't understand why people give a **** what bitchoff thinks. he had his 2nd chance to show his knowledge of the business in tna and all he showed was his ass.
    Yeah, the thing with wrestling storytelling is that it needs to successfully execute the most essential notes of storytelling before attempting to enjoy the more advanced aspects of it, and that includes three story elements that Bischoff wound up losing control of in both WCW and TNA: consistency, logic, and thus plot points that are intentionally built to over time.

Bischoff *did,* especially during the early days of the Monday Night Wars, manage some consistency, logic, and the corresponding long term storytelling... but he would eventually lost sight of those while attempting to nail what he thought was more important: shocking the audience and surprising them with the unexpected. Don't get me wrong - surprise and shock are powerful storytelling tools... but they need to make sense in the story, and thus are only good when there's sneaky consistency and logic behind them. Hogan's Heel-Turn into the NWO worked because there was actually some logic and consistency that could be grafted onto the story by simply having Hogan's promo highlight some real world aspects of both the fans and the man himself. The shock of the turn was what made it special... but the logic and consistency behind it is what made it work instead of just being a "shocking swerve."*

Like, Wardlow's face turn and Jericho's heel turn were very, very predictable... but it's more important they make sense than that we are surprised by them. Similarly, while there were more questions about what would happen with Mox and Danielson, once Regal walked out, the surprise of his appearance immediately bled into a sensible ending to their feud. It's why AEW has managed to steadily plug long and establish itself as a genuine alternative in what was a monopolized and slowly dying industry under WWE's care.

* The importance of logic and consistency is also why other "shocks" in other franchise and media can work or fail - like how the work done to make "No, Luke; I am your father!" elevated Star wars while the lack of forethought behind most of The Last Jedi's plot twists failed and demoted the Sequel Trilogy to tripe.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

In this interview Joey Janela details his reason for not renewing with AEW

Basically he got backstage heat for breaking Eddie Kingston orbital bone on a match they had on Dark. He hurt a few other guys during his time there and he gained a reputation of a dangerous worker. Whatever plans Tony Khan had for him went up in smoke when he hurt Kingston.