Page 65 of 902 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975115165565 ... LastLast

I don't think WWE cares about the ratings for RAW or Smackdown! They see those shows as just advertising for the WWE content on Peacock.
    Last edited by Malvolio; 05-05-2021 at 10:49 PM.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    They already have the TV deals and the money associated with it. But they'll quickly realize those TV deals have an expiration date, and if the ratings did nothing but fall during that original deal, that new deal isn't going to be quite as lucrative.
    WWE has sidestepped that issue by becoming a content provider. They just made bank selling their streaming rights and content to Peacock. With all these companies wanting to become streaming services they will be hungry for content to fill it. WWE has tons of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    WWE has sidestepped that issue by becoming a content provider. They just made bank selling their streaming rights and content to Peacock. With all these companies wanting to become streaming services they will be hungry for content to fill it. WWE has tons of it.
    This^^^

Providing content is much more lucrative than ratings.

Sony is beginning to do the same thing and it it helping them recover quickly.

Ratings are meaningless in the day and age of content, streaming numbers, and likes.

A million viewed segment on YouTube, 100K likes, or 10K subs is worth more money than 3 million people watching a show for 2-3 hours.

Unless you're pulling in MNF numbers, TV is going the way of print media in terms of making mad bank.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member

If you compare WWE ratings vs. sports ratings, WWE content is likely still undervalued, even with shitting ratings. Really it needs to improve it's demographics, and draw in younger audiences as well as women, which is why you are seeing signings like Eva Marie most likely.

Statlander has been solid since she's been back, I forgot how good she was before. AEW Women's Division is suddenly looking really really healthy.

Extraordinary Member

So Daniel Bryan's contract expired

Amazing Member

Watched Blood and Guts and couple issue I had were the side of the cage being somewhat floppy, commercial breaks, they really should have paid (or do whatever they had to) to get limited breaks and can't say I liked the ending at all. That's not to say I hated the match but it definitely could have (should have) been better.

Astonishing Member Kal-El Summers's Avatar

Honestly, they should've done Blood & Guts at like All Out. Commercial breaks were a real issue and some of the camera work was downright atrocious(see Jericho on-camera directing MJF on what to do for literally everything they did on the cage). That ending was pure ****, though. Just go old school and have the Inner Circle handcuffed to the ropes sans Sammi and have MJF threaten to break a limb or gouge out an eye if Jericho doesn't give up. Quick, easy, and you don't even need a stupid crashpad.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Cornette said it a year or 2 back when the WWE signed that huge Smackdown TV deal. The WWE will no longer care about who draws , ratings or anything else. In fact the days of Vince needing that next BIG STAR to follow is long over. The company doesn't want that given where the moment they create a star they move on. The Rock and Cena have showed that.

The WWE no longer cares about ratings , drawing etc. The company is right now in the too big to ever fail deal.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Thoughts from Blood and Guts:

• MJF is an absolute star. He just has it down completely, and it all looks so natural to him.
    • Santana and Ortiz need to be used more. Or better.
    • I get they can't call it "War Games" but since it wasn't War Games, they needed to stop acting like it was. It just made it feel so bootleg.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Astonishing Member

real world wrestling talks bums me out so I am going back into Kayfabe land
    I can't believe the bookers are going to go Omega vs Pockets, I know Orange is "over" but so was Enzo and they didn't put him in the main title picture (Omega vs Pac could be epic, Omega vs Orange is the kind of thing I don't like about AEW)
    The two most powerful factions in AEW right now are heel factions, and they don't have a face star over enough to beat down an entire faction alone (ala Sting or Stone Cold) and the face factions Dark Order, Knightmare family and IC don't seem to be up to the task. One of my favorite what if's in wrestling was the Blanchard and Anderson vs Midnight Express feud we were robbed of because of contractual stuff. A Pinnacle vs the Elite feud could be good but I don't trust these bookers to pull off something as intricate as a heel vs heel war. As much as AEW proclaimed itself as something new it is feeling like something old. It feels like WCW when the NWO guys controlled the booking and made decisions to stroke their egos and not for the good of storylines, the company or the business. Omega vs Orange feels a little like Nash squashing a mid carders win streak because he can. Who are the world and tag team champs? The guys that own the company, how surprising. I remember as a kid wondering why is Greg Gagne so big in AWA when Bockwinkle and Henning were the bigger stars? Why can't the Freebirds ever really destroy the Von Erichs. Then when the Kayfabe glasses were pulled from my eyes and I found out who owned ran the divisions it made sense. Then I understood why the Horsemen couldn't truly eliminate Dusty, but as much as I lamented how much Dusty got over the Horsemen, he at least let the Horsemen shine. AEW is getting very close to NWO territory in the absolute worst way possible, and that is far from too sweet.

The difference between Orange and Enzo is that Orange can wrestle.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    The difference between Orange and Enzo is that Orange can wrestle.
    Enzo has bigger star potential than OC. The man can work a stick , and has charisma oozing out his pores. A guy like Enzo would make a more money for a company than OC who is at best a meme.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Enzo has bigger star potential than OC. The man can work a stick , and has charisma oozing out his pores. A guy like Enzo would make a more money for a company than OC who is at best a meme.
    Orange Cassidy can talk just fine. He just does it rarely because that's part of the character

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Hey, I like to share with people things they might find interesting. Plus, you don't have to watch them.

Wrestling is full of tropes that it has over-used and abused. And some which never really made much sense in the first place, but they still keep doing.

I'm still wondering about Sandman's entrance. Did their contract with Metallica stipulate they had to play the entire 'Enter Sandman' song, and not just portions? Is that why Sandman's entrances (including, nonsensically, run-ins) were always so long?

Astonishing Member Kal-El Summers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Orange Cassidy can talk just fine. He just does it rarely because that's part of the character
    Yeah, OC can talk, but that still doesn't mean he'd be a bigger star than Enzo if you gave both the same push.