Page 178 of 902 FirstFirst ... 78128168174175176177178179180181182188228278678 ... LastLast
Results 2,656 to 2,670 of 13529
    Extraordinary Member

Black getting that win feels huge for both dudes, especially since he’s still a definite face to the crowd while Cody feels like he’s ready for a great heel turn.

I want them to separate now, get some further cred and rep elsewhere, then maybe set up another rematch against Full Heel Cody.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Punk looked like garbage in the ring.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Yeah facing a lumbering slow man who moves slower than 60+ year old Sting doesn't help Punk ring wise. Gotta question wisdom of him facing Hobbs.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Anyhow someone uploaded the Hobbs vs Punk match. Some analysis...

- Hobbs looked way better in this. All credit goes to CM Punk who saw what he had here. And how to make Hobbs look ...ok.

- The match is an old school "Big Man vs Little Man" match. Punk plays the plucky little man coming at Hobbs and at times taking big bumps. Selling Hobbs with that.

I have to wonder who Punk based this match on ? Fans will know soon enough as they discovered the Hart/Waltman 1994 match.

- Punk clearly isn't terrible at all in this. I was looking for botches or something. But its not here.

The only real botch is the huricanrana off the top rope. And its more on Hobbs as he's too big to do this type move.

'- Not a great match or a terrible one. Its likely best we will see Hobbs due to how Punk as veteran really helped him here.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post

- Hobbs looked way better in this. All credit goes to CM Punk who saw what he had here. And how to make Hobbs look ...ok.

- The match is an old school "Big Man vs Little Man" match. Punk plays the plucky little man coming at Hobbs and at times taking big bumps. Selling Hobbs with that.

I have to wonder who Punk based this match on ? Fans will know soon enough as they discovered the Hart/Waltman 1994 match.

- Punk clearly isn't terrible at all in this. I was looking for botches or something. But its not here.

The only real botch is the huricanrana off the top rope. And its more on Hobbs as he's too big to do this type move.

'- Not a great match or a terrible one. Its likely best we will see Hobbs due to how Punk as veteran really helped him here.
    Hobbs is a little raw but the match was good.

The major botch was Hobbs almost smashing his skull on the mat during the Hurricarana off the top rope.

Hobbs needs some polish but he has what it takes to be a big star. Punk didn’t look bad in the match at all, Hobbs isn’t the quickest, snappiest opponent which is expected given his size.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    It seemed the gimmick got the wrong kind of attention.

WWE has used a lot of "political" gimmicks to get what they want but we live in a different era now.

EVERYTHING is political nowadays and people pay a lot more attention to some of this stuff than ever before.
    oh the fukn irony.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Does that matter? They change names all the time.
    you'd think that would be one of the ones that would get changed.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Malakai Black seems really over right now for such a newcomer, and I'm really enjoying his in-ring work and his promo/gimmick work right now. He really, really impresses me, he has this presence about him. I hope AEW recognizes how good he is right now....this seems like this could potentially be his prime (with more freedom to wrestle how he wants)(though I'm sure some will say his prime was his NXT run).

I like that his style could fit well with big bulky guys, smaller cruiserweight types, veteran wrestlers, etc.

I'd love see everyone work with him...Mox, PAC, Darby, Punk, Danielson, Kenny, Christian, Cole, etc (and I know he's faced people like Cole already).
    he's not really a newcomer, the majority of the audience knew him well before his debut.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Black getting that win feels huge for both dudes, especially since he’s still a definite face to the crowd while Cody feels like he’s ready for a great heel turn.

I want them to separate now, get some further cred and rep elsewhere, then maybe set up another rematch against Full Heel Cody.
    i remember a back when aew was just getting going as when people were saying cody's matches showed you don't need to do a bunch of spots if you know how to tell a story in the ring. i said his matches relied bells & whistles or smoke & mirrors as much as the other matches did on spots. i think people are starting to catch on now.

Yeah facing a lumbering slow man who moves slower than 60+ year old Sting doesn't help Punk ring wise. Gotta question wisdom of him facing Hobbs.
    stop smoking that **** dude. hobbs is big and kind of clumsy but not a slow man, especially for his size. tbh hobbs is probably more athletic than punk.

there are guys on the roster that can get better out of hobbs than punk.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    please elaborate. when i say it it seems biased.
    Last edited by BigLbo; 09-25-2021 at 02:12 AM.

I saw Hobbs a week or 2 ago and he seemed really ....really bad. I didn't see much of this athletic guy really. I mean Cage moves quick in ring for his size. I never saw that with Hobbs in a match I saw. Either way , it was a decent match. I'll give Hobbs credit he played up heel role good.

I saw Hobbs a week or 2 ago and he seemed really ....really bad. I didn't see much of this athletic guy really. I mean Cage moves quick in ring for his size. I never saw that with Hobbs in a match I saw. Either way , it was a decent match. I'll give Hobbs credit he played up heel role good.

hobbs frog splash is more impressive than punks elbow.
    from what i understand some of the veterans on the roster have advised hobbs to work more like a big man.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    oh the fukn irony.

What's ironic about it?

1). Hobbs is clearly more athletic. That is more a function of age than anything. Punk is in great shape, better than half his WWE run. It is not a knock on Punk. Hobbs needs to work with some vets to work on his takes and sells. He could turn into a Ryback if not careful.

2). Looking bad does not equal botches per se. There were a few however.

3). My garbage comment comes from Punk's kicks, his spot calls, and the finish. He was consistently landing "head" kicks on arms/shoulders, he openly called his spots (no hookups etc. But not HHH tapping his knee bad), and the GTS to the armpit.

To me, it looked like a combination of ring rust and working with a so-so ring worker. Punk likes working with big guys, so he's going to need to clean up his work. I am sure he will as he's a professional.

Punk works a clean and basic style with tight techniques. IMHO he is like a Macho Man; hot on the mic, flashy when needs to be in the ring but always tight and clean.

Punk was just really sloppy IMHO.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I don't think AEW meant for Punk vs Hobbs to be much of anything special, just a small match for Punk to have, but they didn't work well enough together, didn't make the most of the opportunity. I was disappointed. Hobbs has to polish up, work on his craft. Punk failed maybe as far as chemistry with Hobbs, I don't know.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Apparently he did sexually harass someone, it just wasn't covered in the episode
    I thought he took the intercom and sang to Teri which...yeah I can see why they didn't fire him for that.

The guy who really should have been fired/punished that wasn't was Michael Hayes it was his job to be the agent and he blacked out drunk. Even though Hennig might have been the one to roofie Hayes and Hall all three should have been gone.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I don't think AEW meant for Punk vs Hobbs to be much of anything special, just a small match for Punk to have, but they didn't work well enough together, didn't make the most of the opportunity. I was disappointed. Hobbs has to polish up, work on his craft. Punk failed maybe as far as chemistry with Hobbs, I don't know.
    Before the match was removed from that video , the match itself wasn't bad at all. Punk played the plucky small guy veteran. His kicks and punches were to have no real effect to sell Hobbs as a big man. More or less ...I'm getting a Shawn Michaels vibe from 90's (if Punk ripped a Bret Hart match , I'm thinking he ripped a Diesel/HBK or Vader/HBK match for this). I'd say the only real bad spot was Hobbs needing to realize he can't take huricanrana's off the top rope.

He's just too big for it , landed near wrong as we saw. Other than that , Punk used Hobbs power moves to good effect here. He led Hobbs into those spots because he kept it simple for him. Punk's been gone 7 years but he clearly hasn't forgotten his art here. With how he helped him.

Mighty Member

Malakai Black seems really over right now for such a newcomer, and I'm really enjoying his in-ring work and his promo/gimmick work right now. He really, really impresses me, he has this presence about him. I hope AEW recognizes how good he is right now....this seems like this could potentially be his prime (with more freedom to wrestle how he wants)(though I'm sure some will say his prime was his NXT run).

I think this has something to do with the over-all tone of AEW. AEW as a company is branded as being positive and aspirational. The audience responds by cheering the idea that new talent gets a chance to shine. In the case of Malakai Black, it is a guy who was casually disposed of by a company that seems to go out of its way to be malignant. If AEW were to get ahold of Zelina Vega, the house would be on fire (and doused with tears of joy).

A bad match is a bad match, and a lacking talent is lacking talent. But, the AEW audience is less likely to be looking for a reason to complain. (The difference is "I am smart to the business, and demand that you prove why you are here" v/s "I am smart to the business, and look forward to seeing what you can do".)
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    I think this has something to do with the over-all tone of AEW. AEW as a company is branded as being positive and aspirational. The audience responds by cheering the idea that new talent gets a chance to shine. In the case of Malakai Black, it is a guy who was casually disposed of by a company that seems to go out of its way to be malignant. If AEW were to get ahold of Zelina Vega, the house would be on fire (and doused with tears of joy).

A bad match is a bad match, and a lacking talent is lacking talent. But, the AEW audience is less likely to be looking for a reason to complain. (The difference is "I am smart to the business, and demand that you prove why you are here" v/s "I am smart to the business, and look forward to seeing what you can do".)
    I think a big part of Black success is the AEW audience is getting tired of Cody. Brandi having go away heat doesn't help him. He will need to go heel or reinvent himself if he wants to remain a face