Page 24 of 902 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474124524 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Legion87 View Post
    Yea I was hardcore when I was younger in the 90s and early 2000's (in my elementary, middle, and early high school years). I remember the talks I would have with friends talking about Raw, Smackdown, WCW. Then as I got into my late teens and early 20's I really shifted towards being a casual fan due to the PG nature and less engaging storylines and stuff, so I only watched sparingly. Also in high school being a comic book fan, video game, and wrestling fan would make you a nerd ( but I didn't care too much). Ever since then, I just been watching off and on ( usually around Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania season ,then fall off again) and attending the live house show or live Smackdown show that comes to area when I can.

If wresting could mix the old attitude era/ Monday night wars vibe and storylines with today's vastly improved in ring skills/ talent, it would definitely make me a avid watcher again.
    I was a huge fan in the 1970s of the territories, especially Detroit. Kind of lost interest when I got old enough to realize it was a show. Regained some interest in the '80s but hated that little distinguished the faces from the heels except that heels dissed the audience and faces butt-kissed them. Tactics in the ring were mostly the same. Didn't care for the attitude era (sorry) because it was the same only worse. Plus twenty minutes of talking for five minutes of a match.

I like watching on youtube because I can get a quick summary of the buildup and then the match. But I watch very little WWE but I'm drawn to AEW.
    Power with Girl is better.

Extraordinary Member

I’m subscribed to AEW’s YouTube channel and check it occasionally, because I just feel it’s more entertaining for *me.*

The promos have a more genuine improv feel to them that the good talkers get to exploit for their own style and skill, and the matches and their highlights tend to always be just a smidge more interesting. NXT was good when I watched it a while ago, but ever since it became clear that they’re still regarded as the kid brother to Vince’s shows, it just doesn’t feel that interesting to me anymore.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    rather than some global conspiracy to hold wwe to a higher standard it's more likely to do with awareness. fewer people watch the other promotions and even fewer follow the behind the scenes on-goings of those promotions. on top of that wwe's got a documented history of doing shitty things that reaches back further than the other promotions.

anyways just found out shuan ricker/eli drake is signed with nxt. i hope they do something with him this time around, still can't understand how they did nothing with that guy the last time he was signed with them. he basically checks all the boxes wwe looks for in a wrestler.

supposedly wwe went on a signing spree recently.
    That excuse doesn't work when you realize that I'm talking about the hardcore, dirtsheet reading fans not the casual one's. Of course someone who occasionally watches WWE PPVs and doesn't watch or know of any other wrestling company won't be aware of news of non WWE promotions. But fans who use insider terms and can tell you who won the Kiss My Behind Missouri Heavyweight Champion on July 8, 1978 off the top of their head and what star rating the match got in the Wrestling Observer are aware of most wrestling news and rumors.

The average smark online knows about stuff like Young Lions being treated poorly they just choose to ignore it because NJPW satisfies their need for "muh workrate" and WWE doesn't so they'll look the other way for the former and not the latter.

Jake Hager has liked and agreed with transphobic tweets from Candice Owens: https://dailyddt.com/2019/10/05/jake-hager-aew-values/ as well as make a thinly veiled Asperger's joke towards 13 year old Greta Thurnberg: https://m.imgur.com/r/SquaredCircle/RsVVdlW

Those were only from 2019, AEW existed at the time and isn't a small Indy promotion with a tiny fan base. I don't recall any fire Hager chants at Dynamite or fire Hager tweets trending on twitter. He's not a no name either, he fights with Bellator and is a former WWE World Champion who was with them for close to a decade. He got that "you work for AEW therefore you must be a swell standup guy" protection from fans and the media. If he made those awful tweets while still with WWE Dave Meltzer and Bryan Alvarez would lead the rally to get him fired and blacklisted from the industry.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I’m subscribed to AEW’s YouTube channel and check it occasionally, because I just feel it’s more entertaining for *me.*

The promos have a more genuine improv feel to them that the good talkers get to exploit for their own style and skill, and the matches and their highlights tend to always be just a smidge more interesting. NXT was good when I watched it a while ago, but ever since it became clear that they’re still regarded as the kid brother to Vince’s shows, it just doesn’t feel that interesting to me anymore.
    i have a similar feeling with NXT. even when it's good it just feels doomed, like when you see a talent get over big it just seems inevitable they're going to go to the main roster and eat ****. i'm a big fan of balor and though it's great to see him having great matches again his whole nxt run still feels like a demotion.

i'm totally into sheamus vs drew right now, so credit where it's due. the whole friendship angle felt forced at the start but that gauntlet match pulled me in. i actually hope they stretch the feud out to culminate at mania

Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    That excuse doesn't work when you realize that I'm talking about the hardcore, dirtsheet reading fans not the casual one's. Of course someone who occasionally watches WWE PPVs and doesn't watch or know of any other wrestling company won't be aware of news of non WWE promotions. But fans who use insider terms and can tell you who won the Kiss My Behind Missouri Heavyweight Champion on July 8, 1978 off the top of their head and what star rating the match got in the Wrestling Observer are aware of most wrestling news and rumors.

The average smark online knows about stuff like Young Lions being treated poorly they just choose to ignore it because NJPW satisfies their need for "muh workrate" and WWE doesn't so they'll look the other way for the former and not the latter.
    do you think i'm a hardcore dirtsheet reading fan??

Jake Hager has liked and agreed with transphobic tweets from Candice Owens: https://dailyddt.com/2019/10/05/jake-hager-aew-values/ as well as make a thinly veiled Asperger's joke towards 13 year old Greta Thurnberg: https://m.imgur.com/r/SquaredCircle/RsVVdlW

Those were only from 2019, AEW existed at the time and isn't a small Indy promotion with a tiny fan base. I don't recall any fire Hager chants at Dynamite or fire Hager tweets trending on twitter. He's not a no name either, he fights with Bellator and is a former WWE World Champion who was with them for close to a decade. He got that "you work for AEW therefore you must be a swell standup guy" protection from fans and the media. If he made those awful tweets while still with WWE Dave Meltzer and Bryan Alvarez would lead the rally to get him fired and blacklisted from the industry.
    never said they were, i said they were watched by fewer people and also wwe has a longer documented history of doing shitty things.

you're hang up with aew, certain fans, and DA MELTZ/bryan alvarez is messing with your head. sometimes you can take things at face value.

i am glad you took me off your ignore list though, i do appreciate you taking the time to read and respond.
    Last edited by BigLbo; 02-18-2021 at 12:38 AM.

do you think i'm a hardcore dirtsheet reading fan??

never said they were, i said they were watched by fewer people and also wwe has a longer documented history of doing shitty things.

you're hang up with aew, certain fans, and DA MELTZ/bryan alvarez is messing with your head. sometimes you can take things at face value.

i am glad you took me off your ignore list though, i do appreciate you taking the time to read and respond.
    You know who Dave Meltzer is, a casual fan wouldn't know who the hell he was. I don't know if you've ever read dirtsheets but you clearly aren't a casual fan, you watch a lot of non WWE wrestling. Btw notice how even though I provided proof of an AEW wrestler being a complete scumbag you completely no sell it. Guess you have to put your head in the sand so you can continue to support the Dub with a clear conscience.

It has nothing to do with WWE having a long history of doing shitty things, even wrestlers in the company get more flak than wrestlers outside it. WWW Superstar Jaxon Ryker says he supports Trump in a tweet and gets calls for his head. AEW wrestler Chris Jericho donates $10,000 to Le Donald's re-election campaign, has his son Donald Jr. on his podcast, was at an outdoor Boomer dad motorcycle concert where hundreds of thousands weren't wearing masks and his wife was at the Capitol riots. Jericho is a WAAAAAY bigger name than Jaxon Ryker, you tell me why Jaxon's tweet got a much bigger reaction than all of Jericho's fuckery.

If there is no bias against anything attached to WWE, why did Seth Rollins telling Will Ospreay he has a bigger bank account than him cause him to get booed relentlessly and have fans bring "Seth Rollins Isn't Cool" signs to shows. Jake Hager does much worse and these same fans go to Dynamite and don't do anything when he comes out. You tell me why this is. Your "WWE has done bad things for much longer" doesn't hold weight when we're talking about the wrestlers of the company, not the company itself.

And never put you on ignore, I don't have anyone on ignore, I just try to ignore most of your posts especially towards me because it's always the same lame tired BS.

You know who Dave Meltzer is, a casual fan wouldn't know who the hell he was. I don't know if you've ever read dirtsheets but you clearly aren't a casual fan, you watch a lot of non WWE wrestling. Btw notice how even though I provided proof of an AEW wrestler being a complete scumbag you completely no sell it. Guess you have to put your head in the sand so you can continue to support the Dub with a clear conscience.
    so i am a dirtsheet reading hardcore fan, point being i don't know much about backstage behavior in NJPW, i don't follow ryker or hager on twitter. your proof makes hager an *******, i thought that kind of went w/o saying. not going to call for him to be fired just as i didn't call for ryker to be fired. a lot of these guys are assholes.

by support the Dub do you mean watch aew on wednesday night?? because if so i also support the Dub Dub equally, actually more so since i have an active subscription right now.

It has nothing to do with WWE having a long history of doing shitty things, even wrestlers in the company get more flak than wrestlers outside it. WWW Superstar Jaxon Ryker says he supports Trump in a tweet and gets calls for his head. AEW wrestler Chris Jericho donates $10,000 to Le Donald's re-election campaign, has his son Donald Jr. on his podcast, was at an outdoor Boomer dad motorcycle concert where hundreds of thousands weren't wearing masks and his wife was at the Capitol riots. Jericho is a WAAAAAY bigger name than Jaxon Ryker, you tell me why Jaxon's tweet got a much bigger reaction than all of Jericho's fuckery.
    jericho's an assclown and i think most agree on that, i thought he caught a good amount of **** for his comments and actions.

If there is no bias against anything attached to WWE, why did Seth Rollins telling Will Ospreay he has a bigger bank account than him cause him to get booed relentlessly and have fans bring "Seth Rollins Isn't Cool" signs to shows. Jake Hager does much worse and these same fans go to Dynamite and don't do anything when he comes out. You tell me why this is. Your "WWE has done bad things for much longer" doesn't hold weight when we're talking about the wrestlers of the company, not the company itself.

And never put you on ignore, I don't have anyone on ignore, I just try to ignore most of your posts especially towards me because it's always the same lame tired BS.
    because rollins isn't cool, that was a lame ass response, and rollins has over 3 million followers compared to hagers sub 1 million.

yeah there's some bias here and there and that goes both ways, there's no need to obsess on it though.

and i'm still glad you're not ignoring my posts anymore.

hey you want to see how smart i am?? look what i was saying about karrion kross 5yrs ago
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post2218297
    Last edited by BigLbo; 02-18-2021 at 01:59 AM.

so i am a dirtsheet reading hardcore fan, point being i don't know much about backstage behavior in NJPW, i don't follow ryker or hager on twitter. your proof makes hager an *******, i thought that kind of went w/o saying. not going to call for him to be fired just as i didn't call for ryker to be fired. a lot of these guys are assholes.

by support the Dub do you mean watch aew on wednesday night?? because if so i also support the Dub Dub equally, actually more so since i have an active subscription right now.

jericho's an assclown and i think most agree on that, i thought he caught a good amount of **** for his comments and actions.

because rollins isn't cool, that was a lame ass response, and rollins has over 3 million followers compared to hagers sub 1 million.

yeah there's some bias here and there and that goes both ways, there's no need to obsess on it though.

and i'm still glad you're not ignoring my posts anymore.

hey you want to see how smart i am?? look what i was saying about karrion kross 5yrs ago
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post2218297
    Jaxon Ryker has 162k twitter followers vs Y2J's over 3M, followers ain't got a thing to do with it. Seth's response may have been dickish but it didn't warrant the nuclear level of hate he got for it. Honest to God someone threatened to kill his dog Kevin and burn down his coffee shop in Iowa over it. The anti WWE crowd get so worked up over the company they lose their damn minds anytime WWE or one of it's stars does anything even remotely controversial.

Jaxon Ryker has 162k twitter followers vs Y2J's over 3M, followers ain't got a thing to do with it. Seth's response may have been dickish but it didn't warrant the nuclear level of hate he got for it. Honest to God someone threatened to kill his dog Kevin and burn down his coffee shop in Iowa over it. The anti WWE crowd get so worked up over the company they lose their damn minds anytime WWE or one of it's stars does anything even remotely controversial.
    perhaps you spend too much time thinking about the anti-wwe crowd that reacts that strongly. i think a lot of the time people are just reacting to the stories they read.

i do agree though that people willing to put up with more from people they like or are fans of their work, that's more to do with human nature than anti-wwe/aew bias. the term "redeeming qualities" comes to mind, the fewer you have the less **** people will take, the more you got the more they'll put up with.

perhaps you spend too much time thinking about the anti-wwe crowd that reacts that strongly. i think a lot of the time people are just reacting to the stories they read.

i do agree though that people willing to put up with more from people they like or are fans of their work, that's more to do with human nature than anti-wwe/aew bias. the term "redeeming qualities" comes to mind, the fewer you have the less **** people will take, the more you got the more they'll put up with.
    But no one's a fan of Jake "Jack Thwagger" Hager's work, it's my opinion that his shitty behavior is overlooked because he's in AEW and is thus shielded from the negativity he'd get if he worked in McMahon Land. If Jack Swagger mocked Greta Thurnberg there'd be a huge online mob demanding he be fired. It has zero to do with redeeming qualities or being a fan of the person's talent. Seth's comment about having more money than Will was really his 1st misstep in terms of being a douche. It's not like he had incident after incident of that kind of behavior. But he didn't get a 2nd or 3rd strike, fans just instantly turned on him over that 1 incident.

Extraordinary Member

What is all the hype over Maki Itoh about? Is she a hotshot in Japan?

But no one's a fan of Jake "Jack Thwagger" Hager's work, it's my opinion that his shitty behavior is overlooked because he's in AEW and is thus shielded from the negativity he'd get if he worked in McMahon Land. If Jack Swagger mocked Greta Thurnberg there'd be a huge online mob demanding he be fired. It has zero to do with redeeming qualities or being a fan of the person's talent. Seth's comment about having more money than Will was really his 1st misstep in terms of being a douche. It's not like he had incident after incident of that kind of behavior. But he didn't get a 2nd or 3rd strike, fans just instantly turned on him over that 1 incident.
    i've been a fan of hager's work since he debuted in wwECW and this was the first i've heard about his tweets. he seemed like an ******* after his mma fights so it's not really shocking. i think the idea of some aew shield against accountability is for the most part imaginary.

he kind of did have a few incidents in a row after that.

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    What is all the hype over Maki Itoh about? Is she a hotshot in Japan?
    i guess she was in a j-pop band before wrestling.

O'Reilly and Strong need to be kept as far away from a microphone as possible. That opening NXT segment was hard to watch.

A lot of moving parts going in in the NXT title picture. The next Takeover's probably going to be a multi-man title match. Should be good.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I was a huge fan in the 1970s of the territories, especially Detroit. Kind of lost interest when I got old enough to realize it was a show. Regained some interest in the '80s but hated that little distinguished the faces from the heels except that heels dissed the audience and faces butt-kissed them. Tactics in the ring were mostly the same. Didn't care for the attitude era (sorry) because it was the same only worse. Plus twenty minutes of talking for five minutes of a match.

I like watching on youtube because I can get a quick summary of the buildup and then the match. But I watch very little WWE but I'm drawn to AEW.
    Yea AEW is a bit better than WWE right now.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Wrestling twitter needs to chill. It widely reported by a fan in attendance that O'Reilly suffered from a seizure after the show. Story spread super fast and Ryan Satin had to use his WWE pull to squash it. Kyle is fine and has no medical issues. Knowing WWE they'll likely incorporate that misinformation into the angle now.