Page 101 of 902 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151201601 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 13529
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    The only thing ruining that coffin match was the end.

AEW needs to work on their booking because it is getting predictable at this point.

I guess they're saving their SCHOCKING wins for another day.

This would've been a perfect way to change up Darby ...
    I liked that ending. That skateboard to the back was pretty sick (although the crucifix power bomb on the steps should be a match ender IMO).

I didn’t really “get” Darby Allin before but I’ve grown to warm up to the kid.

The only thing ruining that coffin match was the end.

AEW needs to work on their booking because it is getting predictable at this point.

I guess they're saving their SCHOCKING wins for another day.
    i'll take predictable but decent-good booking especially if the matches deliver. lord knows over the years i've settled for far less. the fact that they have midcarders over enough to main event the show says a lot for the booking imo.

idk if it's adjusting to the live crowd or what but seems to me like their heel/face dynamics were off.
    archer seemed to be a face last few weeks but now he going after mox. the reactions for cage vs starks, i know a undersized heel vs a huge babyface isn't the easiest thing to pull off but i felt bad for cage. they probably should've let starks cut a promo or something. yuta debuting against sammy, brit baker is always that way i guess so maybe it's intentional?? and i still question the decision to debut both black and andrade as heels.

This would've been a perfect way to change up Darby ...
    i'm interested, what did you have in mind?? HIJOS DEL RUSSO 4-4-4-4-LIFE.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I liked that ending. That skateboard to the back was pretty sick (although the crucifix power bomb on the steps should be a match ender IMO).

people want to just label him a "spot monkey" but he's got a little more than that going for him.
    Last edited by BigLbo; 07-15-2021 at 12:21 AM.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    people want to just label him a "spot monkey" but he's got a little more than that going for him.
    Yeah, I'm talking more notice of Darby's talent, his drive to put on a good match. Sammy Guevara had a good match too, I'm noticing him more.

Dynamite was fantastic overall. The crowd made such a difference. And AEW picked the right matches for this moment.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

One of my issues with AEW is that they are stipulation match happy. Like, I don't think Darby has had a regular match with Ethan Page during their entire feud. They had a tornado tag, the cinematic match and the coffin match. I don't think they had a standard match before things escalated.

Extraordinary Member

i'll take predictable but decent-good booking especially if the matches deliver. lord knows over the years i've settled for far less. the fact that they have midcarders over enough to main event the show says a lot for the booking imo.

idk if it's adjusting to the live crowd or what but seems to me like their heel/face dynamics were off.
    archer seemed to be a face last few weeks but now he going after mox. the reactions for cage vs starks, i know a undersized heel vs a huge babyface isn't the easiest thing to pull off but i felt bad for cage. they probably should've let starks cut a promo or something. yuta debuting against sammy, brit baker is always that way i guess so maybe it's intentional?? and i still question the decision to debut both black and andrade as heels.
    AEW’s audience is *very* smark heavy and tends to embrace the old Attitude Era idea that a character is only a heel if the audience wants to boo him… and that there’s nothing wrong with rooting for someone who “should” be a heel.

MJF is maybe the only 100% heel on the roster who would be almost impossible to get cheers for, because he works at it… and even he’s someone who, if he got hurt for real or real life intrigued on the story, would likely be over for the immediate time period.

AEW is more openly like a pantomime or fourth wall breaking melodrama - the villains are enjoyed for being over-the-top caricatures rather than regarded as true bastards.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

I think I should clear up what I meant by ending. I meant who won and how. I enjoyed the spot and the build.

This Coffin Match should be a feud ender but when Ethan Page was boxed and Darby was announced the winner .. and then Darby did his finish through the coffin ... it came across that this was the beginning of round 2 of their feud.

The better ending, IMHO, would've been to either a) have Page not stay down in the casket and he keeps kicking the lid off, so Darby hits the Coffin Drop and the lit slams shut for a No Contest, or b) similar but as Darby leaps, Page pulls it shut, causing Darby to go through, with Darby winning on a technicality.

My preference would've been to put Page over as he needed the rub more than Darby. Then Darby can come back with a slight repackage and revenge. Which I will get to shortly ...

I agree for the most part, however, whenever a BIG MATCH™ is announced, you know who's going to win. AEW needs to work on that. It started to get really bad with the Bucks vs. FTR and Omega vs. OC. We need some shockers from time to time on the big ones. There's something to be said for the logic in the build but ... we need some upsets. I really am only feeling that in the women's division but even then, people like Statlander and Conti are getting to the point that I KNOW they're going to win everything until they job to Baker.

i'm interested, what did you have in mind?? HIJOS DEL RUSSO 4-4-4-4-LIFE.
    Nothing TOO drastic but either play up the Sting connection more or give him even more of an edge like Mox but with more theatrics. His Tweet with him burning the coffin ... that would be a good starting point IMHO. There's something there that I can't put my finger on that they could blow up more on him. Have him go so far that Sting decides he's crossed a line ... and he tries to take him down. I'm thinking anti-Sting here, Bane to Batman, Venom to Spider-Man, type thing. Darby goes villain and can go tween anti-hero, IMHO. Maybe that is what I am feeling? He can be like Orton, Pentagon, early Edge. Does that make sense?

Maybe him and Mox should just have a feud!?

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Yeah, I'm talking more notice of Darby's talent, his drive to put on a good match. Sammy Guevara had a good match too, I'm noticing him more.

Dynamite was fantastic overall. The crowd made such a difference. And AEW picked the right matches for this moment.
    I would like to see Darby and Sammy feud.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    One of my issues with AEW is that they are stipulation match happy. Like, I don't think Darby has had a regular match with Ethan Page during their entire feud. They had a tornado tag, the cinematic match and the coffin match. I don't think they had a standard match before things escalated.
    They do book like a video game A LOT but ... what do you expect? You have a Rhodes on the booking team.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 07-15-2021 at 01:57 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member

They do book like a video game A LOT but ... what do you expect? You have a Rhodes on the booking team.
    family tradition if you wills
    https://twitter.com/REALGoingInRaw/s...38788256796682
    Last edited by steve2275; 07-15-2021 at 07:48 PM.
    RIP MARVEL HEROES 04.06.2013 - 27.11.2017
    Transformers TCG player

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    AEW’s audience is *very* smark heavy and tends to embrace the old Attitude Era idea that a character is only a heel if the audience wants to boo him… and that there’s nothing wrong with rooting for someone who “should” be a heel.

MJF is maybe the only 100% heel on the roster who would be almost impossible to get cheers for, because he works at it… and even he’s someone who, if he got hurt for real or real life intrigued on the story, would likely be over for the immediate time period.

AEW is more openly like a pantomime or fourth wall breaking melodrama - the villains are enjoyed for being over-the-top caricatures rather than regarded as true bastards.
    i agree with a lot of that. i think you have to give a lot of credit to omega & the bucks for getting their desired reactions from the crowd. all the over babyfaces will get cheered against those guys.

couple of things. i forgot to mention jericho as a face saying he'd ko ali.....reminded me of lamberts promo the week before where he's saying **** to get heat but then mentioning well respected legends(and also accompanied by mma fan favorites masvidal & nunes). also i didn't realize starks came up in texas so that kind of explains that but still knowing that perhaps they should've done that match/angle a different night.

I think I should clear up what I meant by ending. I meant who won and how. I enjoyed the spot and the build.

This Coffin Match should be a feud ender but when Ethan Page was boxed and Darby was announced the winner .. and then Darby did his finish through the coffin ... it came across that this was the beginning of round 2 of their feud.
    huh, that wasn't the vibe i got. i got a sense of finality from it especially with commentary literally calling it the nail in the coffin. i guess we'll see.

The better ending, IMHO, would've been to either a) have Page not stay down in the casket and he keeps kicking the lid off, so Darby hits the Coffin Drop and the lit slams shut for a No Contest, or b) similar but as Darby leaps, Page pulls it shut, causing Darby to go through, with Darby winning on a technicality.
    idk beastie, i don't care much for coffin matches and the like ending in a no contest or on a technicality.

My preference would've been to put Page over as he needed the rub more than Darby. Then Darby can come back with a slight repackage and revenge. Which I will get to shortly ...

I agree for the most part, however, whenever a BIG MATCH™ is announced, you know who's going to win. AEW needs to work on that. It started to get really bad with the Bucks vs. FTR and Omega vs. OC. We need some shockers from time to time on the big ones. There's something to be said for the logic in the build but ... we need some upsets. I really am only feeling that in the women's division but even then, people like Statlander and Conti are getting to the point that I KNOW they're going to win everything until they job to Baker.

Nothing TOO drastic but either play up the Sting connection more or give him even more of an edge like Mox but with more theatrics. His Tweet with him burning the coffin ... that would be a good starting point IMHO. There's something there that I can't put my finger on that they could blow up more on him. Have him go so far that Sting decides he's crossed a line ... and he tries to take him down. I'm thinking anti-Sting here, Bane to Batman, Venom to Spider-Man, type thing. Darby goes villain and can go tween anti-hero, IMHO. Maybe that is what I am feeling? He can be like Orton, Pentagon, early Edge. Does that make sense?

Maybe him and Mox should just have a feud!?

I would like to see Darby and Sammy feud.

not a big fan of ethan page but i got no problems with any of that.
    now try this on for size. instead of doing the spot with scorpio at the beginning, towards the end of the match have page put into the coffin and suddenly the lights go out. hit the lights and tommy end is behind darby, he turns around and black mass. ethan throws darby in the coffin and gets the w. later or next week end cuts a promo to the effect of darby playing with coffins but he'll show him the real darkness or whatever. darby could be a good feud for end after he "takes out" cody.
    HIJOS DEL RUSSO POR VIDA

i would like to see a proper feud between darby and janela, though it might be a step backwards for darby it would elevate janela, plus i've seen them have some pretty awesome matches in the past.
    Last edited by BigLbo; 07-16-2021 at 05:38 AM.

not a big fan of ethan page but i got no problems with any of that.
    now try this on for size. instead of doing the spot with scorpio at the beginning, towards the end of the match have page put into the coffin and suddenly the lights go out. hit the lights and tommy end is behind darby, he turns around and black mass. ethan throws darby in the coffin and gets the w. later or next week end cuts a promo to the effect of darby playing with coffins but he'll show him the real darkness or whatever. darby could be a good feud for end after he "takes out" cody.
    HIJOS DEL RUSSO POR VIDA
    Love it! The new guys shouldn't always debut against Cody and the like ... you want to build new stars? Treat your up and coming like that. Getting Black to debut like that would've probably given him a lean into some true heat. AEW needs more hard heels, IMHO, like MJF.

What's funny, is Darby has listed Black as his "dream match" in the past and as recent as 2 days ago.

i would like to see a proper feud between darby and janela, though it might be a step backwards for darby it would elevate janela, plus i've seen them have some pretty awesome matches in the past.
    Darby/Janela are on my AEW feud wish list, too. In addition to Mox/Darby I also have:

Sammy vs. Darby
    Jericho vs. Sammy
    Santana and Ortiz vs. Bucks with Santana and Ortiz winning the titles
    Page vs. Mox, with Mox going heel
    Page vs. Omega right after that feud with Page winning
    Luchasaurus vs. Miro
    Jungle Boy vs. MJF
    Baker vs. Sakazaki
    Statlander vs. Shida
    Archer gets the FTW championship and destroys it
    Statlander vs. Baker
    Conti vs. Baker
    Conti vs. Statlander
    ... and lots more.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

WWE 2K22 has announced a huge chunk of the roster. Daniel Bryan is not on it. Also, AEW is attempting a trademark on American Dragon.

LET THE RUMOR MILL SPIN!
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 07-16-2021 at 10:49 AM.

whenever a BIG MATCH™ is announced, you know who's going to win. . We need some shockers from time to time on the big ones. There's something to be said for the logic in the build but ... we need some upsets.
    I don't know how big of a problem it is, but I do agree this is something AEW could work on. The match outcomes are a bit too predictable at times. And it's not just because most of us are well experienced at predicting match outcomes.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 07-16-2021 at 11:59 AM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I don't know how big of a problem it is, but I do agree this is something AEW could work on. The match outcomes are a bit too predictable at times. And it's not just because most of us are well experienced at predicting match outcomes.
    Undercard, build-ups to big feuds, they are great for the most part. But the big matches with the likes of the OG Elite have all pretty much been predictable. Cody's going to put over the new talent, Bucks are going to super kick party for the win, Omega is going to go over, etc.

Undercard, build-ups to big feuds, they are great for the most part. But the big matches with the likes of the OG Elite have all pretty much been predictable. Cody's going to put over the new talent, Bucks are going to super kick party for the win, Omega is going to go over, etc.
    it's a bit of a balancing act. you don't want to sacrifice the "right guy winning" or miss pulling the trigger at the right time for the sake of unpredictability. and in order to book a dominant reign of terror there has to be some period of predictability.

imagine of jungle boy would've upset omega for the title. that would've been a huge shocker and a great moment that people would never forget, but in the long term i think it would've been a mistake.

i'm very interested to see how things play out with adam page & omega. page isn't one of my guys but they've done a great job with him. i remember somebody saying they damaged him by putting him with the dark order but i say the proof is in the pudding. 1st they did great job getting him over in the 1st place compared to where he was when he 1st challenged for the title. he might've cooled off a bit while doing the dark order stuff but they kept him over and now he's ready. the question is is it the right time for omega to drop the title??

it's a bit of a balancing act. you don't want to sacrifice the "right guy winning" or miss pulling the trigger at the right time for the sake of unpredictability. and in order to book a dominant reign of terror there has to be some period of predictability.

imagine of jungle boy would've upset omega for the title. that would've been a huge shocker and a great moment that people would never forget, but in the long term i think it would've been a mistake.
    I absolutely agree. It's hard to know the right moment to pull an unpredictable surprise, but maybe AEW could use them some more to help get a heel over in a feud or springboard a babyface. WWE, when I used to (regularly) watch (1986-2004), was a bit more effective in that area.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 07-17-2021 at 08:42 AM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Davey Boy Smith Jr worked a dark match on Smackdown last night. I guess he will be working for the company again.