Page 106 of 902 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106107108109110116156206606 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,590 of 13529
    Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Funnily enough his first competitive match was against Meng on WCW Saturday Night. Though I can't remember if that happened before or after his infamous match against Regal
    The Meng match was about a month before the Regal match. Goldberg vs Regal was awesome, I'm hoping Goldberg finally acknowledged that and thanked Regal for making him look better.

Regal was a wrestler that I didn't appreciate in the late 90s, early 00s, and now he's one of my favorite wrestlers of all time. Regal vs Shinya Hashimoto in Japan, vs Benoit in Japan, Regal vs Benoit Pillman Memorial, Regal vs Belfast Bruiser in WCW, Regal vs Benoit in WCW, Regal vs Eddie Guerrero on a WCW Nitro, Regal vs Rey Mysterio twice in WCW, Regal vs Psychosis, Regal vs Ultimo Dragon, Regal vs British Bulldog, Regal vs Flair, Regal vs Larry Zbyszko, Regal vs Stemboat. Regal had such a great career.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 07-21-2021 at 12:00 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    The Meng match was about a month before the Regal match. Goldberg vs Regal was awesome, I'm hoping Goldberg finally acknowledged that and thanked Regal for making him look better.

Regal was a wrestler that I didn't appreciate in the late 90s, early 00s, and now he's one of my favorite wrestlers of all time. Regal vs Shinya Hashimoto in Japan, vs Benoit in Japan, Regal vs Benoit Pillman Memorial, Regal vs Belfast Bruiser in WCW, Regal vs Benoit in WCW, Regal vs Eddie Guerrero on a WCW Nitro, Regal vs Rey Mysterio twice in WCW, Regal vs Psychosis, Regal vs Ultimo Dragon, Regal vs British Bulldog, Regal vs Flair, Regal vs Larry Zbyszko, Regal vs Stemboat. Regal had such a great career.
    I don't think Goldberg ever told his side of story when it came to the Regal match. I tend to believe Regal about how things went down.

I always found Regal to be boring during his prime years. I didn't grow to appreciate him until GM and King of the Ring run in 2008 when he was getting nuclear levels of heat. It sucks that he fall off the wagon in what would have been a career peak for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I always found Regal to be boring during his prime years.
    You should give his prime years another shot. Like every wrestling video guy on Youtube thinks Regal's prime matches have aged really well. A lot of his best WCW (and WWE) matches are on YouTube and Dailymotion.

Found a Japan match of his: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7rueys

It may be that I'm just one of those workrate type fans who really digs his physical, stiff, technical, unorthodox/Euro style. I also love Dave/Fit Finlay. I don't know, but Regal is right there in my all time favorites list with Benoit, Guerrero, Mysterio, Bryan Danielson, Angle, Finlay, Liger, Otani, Malenko, etc. Something about their workmanship and craft, their dedication. I can watch Regal matches all day (and have done so!).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 07-21-2021 at 01:28 PM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    oddly one of Goldberg's best matches ever until the first of his few 3 star matches began with DDP starting in October of that year.
    Yup. What an embarrassing match for Goldberg, despite it being among his best. Vs Regal, vs DDP, vs Bret Hart, vs Scott Steiner...those are the better matches of Goldberg's WCW career.

Yup. What an embarrassing match for Goldberg, despite it being among his best. Vs Regal, vs DDP, vs Bret Hart, vs Scott Steiner...those are the better matches of Goldberg's WCW career.
    the matches he had with Saturn I felt were underrated

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Regal was from an era of working matches with nice technical wrestling. In his prime early WCW years he was pretty much one of the best mat wrestling guys the company had. A fact that Larry Zbysko joked that he once was calling matches on Saturday Night and almost every match was ...CLOTHESLINE ! ANOTHER CLOTHESLINE !

That he made a bet with a road agent (name escapes me) where they'd bet on the number of clotheslines done on a show or PPV. That it became a running joke that no one could actually do anything really different than typical move repeatedly every match. He felt bored by it til he saw Regal who in one whole match...never did one clothesline. He just worked a mat based match and did other things.

He really liked what he saw and convinced WCW to let him come out of retirement briefly to do a match with him. It was like 25-30+ minutes and the 2 wanted to show they never had to throw that 1 move an entire match. As he joked the entire match didn't have a clothesline done.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Jericho vs nick gage is a match I would never imagine ever happening. Not a dream match for me but still just never in a million years would I have guessed.

I never saw a Nick Gage match, until just right now, when I pulled up Youtube and watched MJF (pre-AEW I think) vs Nick Gage in Beyond Wrestling (link below), and I expected Nick to be kind of like New Jack or that Necro Butcher guy...all hardcore (punch, kick, hardcore, and that's it) and no wrestling, but I was wrong, he has some actual wrestling talent. I'm sure that talent is not what he's famous for, but I was pleasantly surprised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX1BVFPK18o

So, I'm glad I have a sense of Nick before this interesting upcoming match with Jericho, which I'm sure will be all hardcore and very little wrestling. It seems he's kinda like a cross between Foley/New Jack/etc and like Justin Credible.

Also, ANOTHER HELLUVA Dynamite. AEW is on fire, molten. I cannot wait until next week, the card is off the charts.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 07-22-2021 at 06:00 AM.

Ultimate Member

So there are rumors swirling that Daniel Bryan has signed with AEW.

If that's true, that's going to be a game changer.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

Yea, I'd go berserk. I'm trying to not get sucked in on that until it's official. I'm not sure what Bodyslam.net's track record is as far as its sources.

The report is interesting...he'd be able to work in Japan also. That's a coup for NJPW as well right there. If all this is true.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 07-21-2021 at 07:44 PM.

Archer being IWGP US Champ is gonna be fun!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

Yea, I'd go berserk. I'm trying to not get sucked in on that until it's official. I'm not sure what Bodyslam.net's track record is as far as its sources.

The report is interesting...he'd be able to work in Japan also. That's a coup for NJPW as well right there. If all this is true.
    Well I had posted a week or so ago about AEW attempting a trademark on American Dragon and WWE dropping Bryan from 2K22. Even though they scanned a new model for him. This last week, the WWE has been scrubbing Bryan from virtually everything. I'd say that means he is gone 100% from WWE to say the least.

Add that to the the ongoing CM Punk negotiations, AEW could get wild in a few weeks.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    I never understood the appeal. Sure he has name recognition but so would anybody who got that long of an undefeated streak. Meng could have been just as big, lol. Hell Buff Bagwell could have if you let anyone win every match for an extended period of time but I never saw anything in Bill to make him deserving of such a push.
    9 out of 10 guys wouldn't have got the reaction goldberg got for squashing jobbers, that's what justified his mega push and the results are hard to argue with. there's countless xamples of guys who squashed jobbers and nobody cared and not everybody can work a good squash.

also i think many people mistakenly remember some matches that were short as not competitive. take the scott norton matches for xample. i really like that match they had a 99 btw, shrt but sweet as fuk.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Depending on Lee's health issues, he is probably going to fall down the card some until everything lines up again. No shame in losing to the Champ in a competitive match. (Putting up a tougher fight than the last #1 Contender) I kind of like the story they are telling with Lashley--now that he's focused he's incredibly tough to beat.
    that hurt keith lee way more than it helped bobby. i'm a big fan of bobby as champion but that was not good.

I never saw a Nick Gage match, until just right now, when I pulled up Youtube and watched MJF (pre-AEW I think) vs Nick Gage in Beyond Wrestling (link below), and I expected Nick to be kind of like New Jack or that Necro Butcher guy...all hardcore (punch, kick, hardcore, and that's it) and no wrestling, but I was wrong, he has some actual wrestling talent. I'm sure that talent is not what he's famous for, but I was pleasantly surprised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX1BVFPK18o

So, I'm glad I have a sense of Nick before this interesting upcoming match with Jericho, which I'm sure will be all hardcore and very little wrestling. It seems he's kinda like a cross between Foley/New Jack/etc and like Justin Credible.

Also, ANOTHER HELLUVA Dynamite. AEW is on fire, molten. I cannot wait until next, the card is off the charts.
    necro was better pro wrestler over all imo. gage had a decent match with kross at a bloodsport show a year or 2 ago. idk why they'd debut gage in texas rather than wait till there somewhere near his stomping grounds though.

i'm sure it would get a huge buzz a crazy reaction but brianson and especially punk don't xcite me much. i'm more xcited to see aew work with what they have right now.

Astonishing Member

LBo not trying to compare Goldberg to 911 BUT any wrestler who not only crushed jobbers but the top people in the business for an extended period would necessarily reach a very high status. I love and respect Samoa Joe but part of his mystique was around the length of time between losses. Asuka is no doubt a top women's talent but what made her Asuka was the undefeated streak, now just about all of that mystique is now gone because of bad booking decisions. Not saying she can't take a loss but she now takes too many. Those two examples are talents whose talents are deserving of the push who are still peak talents without the undefeated streaks however once Bill took the L his only draw is nostalgia and the momentum of the ultra push that the masses didn't realize was a push and just thought he was just that dang good.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Well I had posted a week or so ago about AEW attempting a trademark on American Dragon and WWE dropping Bryan from 2K22. Even though they scanned a new model for him. This last week, the WWE has been scrubbing Bryan from virtually everything. I'd say that means he is gone 100% from WWE to say the least.

Add that to the the ongoing CM Punk negotiations, AEW could get wild in a few weeks.
    From what I heard, Bryan signed to AEW for the reduced schedule, being able to go to Japan to wrestle and creative control over his character.