Page 128 of 902 FirstFirst ... 2878118124125126127128129130131132138178228628 ... LastLast
Results 1,906 to 1,920 of 13529
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Its not a Cornette crowd thing really. Its a common sense money deal. Punk is the big free agent people have talked about for years. He's the guy since AEW started that people have brought up.

They sold out an arena on just his name. They likely will sell a ton of PPVs and draw huge.

It would make no sense to have this huge momentum and decide to use Punk in mid or upper card. Given what they have right now.
    I don't think you understand the fanbase of AEW. There isn't going to be a demand for him to go for title. They'll be happy he they brought him in to feud with Orange Cassidy.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I don't think you understand the fanbase of AEW. There isn't going to be a demand for him to go for title. They'll be happy he they brought him in to feud with Orange Cassidy.
    BINGO!! as long as the other guy is over that's all that matters.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Then the AEW audience shouldn't make business decisions ...at all. If this happens and he doesn't move the needle on PPV buys or ratings etc ..then the AEW audience can thank themselves.

Because its about growing your company and luring a bigger audience. Them dropping the ball on that will be an epic head shake moment.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Then the AEW audience shouldn't make business decisions ...at all. If this happens and he doesn't move the needle on PPV buys or ratings etc ..then the AEW audience can thank themselves.

Because its about growing your company and luring a bigger audience. Them dropping the ball on that will be an epic head shake moment.
    AEW has always been about pleasing their current fanbase not grabbing a mainstream one. If they were gunning for mainstream about half their roster wouldn't be there. They wouldn't even try to make a trash wrestler like Janela a star. They'll probably have shorter matches instead of giving everyone at least 10 minutes. Being on a mainstream platform hasn't removed the indie mindset.

AEW has always been about pleasing their current fanbase not grabbing a mainstream one. If they were gunning for mainstream about half their roster wouldn't be there. They wouldn't even try to make a trash wrestler like Janela a star. They'll probably have shorter matches instead of giving everyone at least 10 minutes. Being on a mainstream platform hasn't removed the indie mindset.
    This is a company that just signed Bryan Danielson and CM Punk. They tried to get Kurt Angle and are likely gonna sign Ric Flair.

AEW wants the mainstream audience as the indie one will only go so far. If Khan didn't want that he wouldn't be signing a lot of ex WWE guys.

And its wise to do this. He needs to grow AEW brand and "name" talent is how you do it.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, AEW exists in a world where you don’t have to have a belt or chase a belt to be considered a star - championships matter as storyline tools, but not as the only ones. Punk and Allin have been suggested as the first match up for the returning star, and honestly, a good feud between the two of them would likely be best for both.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

This is a company that just signed Bryan Danielson and CM Punk. They tried to get Kurt Angle and are likely gonna sign Ric Flair.

AEW wants the mainstream audience as the indie one will only go so far. If Khan didn't want that he wouldn't be signing a lot of ex WWE guys.

And its wise to do this. He needs to grow AEW brand and "name" talent is how you do it.
    AEW will sign guys like Flair to give their product creditability and to build their current stars. Look at how they use guys like Taz, Sting, Vickie, and Christian. They are there to elevate the current roster. While signings like Big Show and Mark Henry are their to add to presentation and hopefully train talent to be better wrestlers. They ain't there to be stars in of themselves.

Bryan has made it clear he wants to wrestle part time now. He'll likely be used as an attraction and likely be spending the majority of his stay putting guys over than being a star.

You know that everyone is talking about Punk when even the guy he famously beat, John Cena, is making sly references to him. "I might even jump over the barricade... and blow a kiss."
    Watching television is not an activity.

Extraordinary Member

Yes, because the best way to grow your audience is to alienate the one you currently have.

Listen, the point of signing Punk isn't for the company to have Punk on their roster. It's so that Punk can put some shine on the stars they're trying to build, to make those guys mainstream names just like Punk is. So that when Punk retires, there are new guys there who are big enough to keep the audience invested.

Don't you have to win 5 singles matches and get #1 in the rankings to get a world title shot in AEW?

The structure of their Fed doesn't let you shoot to the top on entry.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 08-14-2021 at 10:57 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Extraordinary Member

And Jon Moxley didn’t jump straight into the title hunt - instead, while he attacked everyone, including Jericho Le Champion, they made a point to give him someone like Janella for his first real match, and he and Kenny feuded without the belt as his first big story, while Jericho feuded with Cody instead.

Punk should get fed someone up-and-coming-but-still-a-midcarder for his first match, and then have a feud with Darby to determine his characterization’s exact tenor for the roster around him. I think the full gamut is theoretically open to him, from heel to tweeter to face, but figuring out what best suits both h8m and the company may take a few weeks.

Then you put him in a feud with either Kenny or Page if Page is back by then.

Wrestling audiences (hardcore and mainstream) can actually have patience when the product is quality week to week. That’s been one of AEW’s biggest objectives, and one they’ve generally succeeded at.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Yes, because the best way to grow your audience is to alienate the one you currently have.
    Your talking about and million and half people watching weekly. Lets not kid ourselves...the signings done is to lure a bigger audience. They aren't just signing them to mentor young talent. Its to get "NAMES" to lure more to watch. To have a OMG Sting is in AEW !! OMG Bryan Danielson is in AEW !! They want the names to sell to draw a bigger crowd and they aren't worried about alienating the indie crowd who are gonna be pissed CM Punk showed up and got in Omega's face. Because if the audience shows up its gonna be ..."OMG CM PUNK IS BACK !!! HE'S GOING AFTER OMEGA !!' The very crowds in AEW are wanting Punk BADLY. They will not give 2 shits if he suddenly goes after him.

Listen, the point of signing Punk isn't for the company to have Punk on their roster. It's so that Punk can put some shine on the stars they're trying to build, to make those guys mainstream names just like Punk is. So that when Punk retires, there are new guys there who are big enough to keep the audience invested.
    Yeeeaaahh....no that isn't it at all. They are paying Punk a HUGE SALARY for a reason to come back. He's bigger than 90% of the fucking roster as it stands right now. He's gonna put shine on guys by working with them as time passes sure. But CM Punk is signed because A- He's the biggest name the people have demanded for years and he left at the top of the industry. B- He already is so massively over he sold out an arena and he hasn't even been announced yet.

CM Punk was signed because he's a major huge name and Khan has to get down and open that Forbidden Door and give Punk his price tag and creative control of his character he wanted. And Khan being smart said , oh f--k this is CM Punk. I screwed up 2+ years ago and didn't treat Punk serious and all. This time I gotta approach it better.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Don't you have to win 5 singles matches and get #1 in the rankings to get a world title shot in AEW?

The structure of their Fed doesn't let you shoot to the top on entry.
    Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    And Jon Moxley didn’t jump straight into the title hunt - instead, while he attacked everyone, including Jericho Le Champion, they made a point to give him someone like Janella for his first real match, and he and Kenny feuded without the belt as his first big story, while Jericho feuded with Cody instead.

Punk should get fed someone up-and-coming-but-still-a-midcarder for his first match, and then have a feud with Darby to determine his characterization’s exact tenor for the roster around him. I think the full gamut is theoretically open to him, from heel to tweeter to face, but figuring out what best suits both h8m and the company may take a few weeks.

Wrestling audiences (hardcore and mainstream) can actually have patience when the product is quality week to week. That’s been one of AEW’s biggest objectives, and one they’ve generally succeeded at.
    AEW's product has issues with booking. A number of fans (some who don't watch anymore) gave up on booking of things the past year. They are excited for Punk arriving but its clear if AEW approaches their biggest free agent signing like its a by the book deal and try to act like he's just another guy on the roster. Its gonna fail. You have to change the ball game and ride momentum here.

Punk has it. You ride the hot $$$ and don't worry about how this effects your "win 5 matches" deal etc. Punk can win a match a week or hell explain he came to challenge the top man and he doesn't play Khan's game or Omega's. You either grow some balls and face me or live in shadows of never beating THE BEST IN THE WORLD , Kenny. (which Omega's pride will see him accept it at Full Gear)

Astonishing Member
    RIP MARVEL HEROES 04.06.2013 - 27.11.2017
    Transformers TCG player

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post

Given Punk's whole straight edge thing, I think he could have an interesting feud with Hangman down the line.

Let's also not forget that part of the reason why Punk is such a hot commodity is because he's been out of the business for so long. He's made it so that him being in any match is by definition a dream match. But once he starts regularly stepping into the ring, that effect is gonna start diminishing. This time next year, his name alone isn't going to be enough on it's own to sell out an arena.

Sacrificing the long term for short term gain is a company killing strategy

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Two matches in Sting's top 10 of matches in his career were mid card matches (against then-not-main-eventers):

Sting vs Cactus Jack Beach Blast 1992
    Sting vs Regal Great American Bash 1996

That's a testament to how great Foley and Regal were, how they could make their opponent look so great because I'm not the biggest Sting fan. There was no NWA on anything when I was growing up in the Northern US. Nobody watched WCW until Nitro started in my area. But to challenge myself, I've been watching a lot of Sting matches lately, trying to determine what his top 10 are.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 08-14-2021 at 02:29 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”