Page 129 of 902 FirstFirst ... 2979119125126127128129130131132133139179229629 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,935 of 13529
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Given Punk's whole straight edge thing, I think he could have an interesting feud with Hangman down the line.

Let's also not forget that part of the reason why Punk is such a hot commodity is because he's been out of the business for so long. He's made it so that him being in any match is by definition a dream match. But once he starts regularly stepping into the ring, that effect is gonna start diminishing. This time next year, his name alone isn't going to be enough on it's own to sell out an arena.

Sacrificing the long term for short term gain is a company killing strategy
    Exactly.

Remember when they brought Goldberg back the first time to take on Lesnar again? That feud was good enough in premise and execution for their talents (and in masking their deficiencies) that it didn’t need the belt… but Vince gave them the belt with it anyways, and arguably trashed the even better long term story between Jericho and KO in the fallout.

If Punk takes on *anyone* of the “Top Card” caliber at AEW, that's already a headline feud and doesn’t need the belt. Now, I know I’m high on Darby Allin, but I can understand if others aren’t, but if you can substitute in Jon Moxley or Jericho there, you’ll see what I’m saying; they don’t need the belt, they just need time to get their story together and build to their clash, and then have Punk established enough to begin another story and another feud.

Punk is someone who could believably hold the AEW Championship, and of he has a decent career, he probably should… but he doesn’t need it right now, and I feel like he’s someone you’d want to set the stage for before he takes it.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Your talking about and million and half people watching weekly. Lets not kid ourselves...the signings done is to lure a bigger audience. They aren't just signing them to mentor young talent. Its to get "NAMES" to lure more to watch. To have a OMG Sting is in AEW !! OMG Bryan Danielson is in AEW !! They want the names to sell to draw a bigger crowd and they aren't worried about alienating the indie crowd who are gonna be pissed CM Punk showed up and got in Omega's face. Because if the audience shows up its gonna be ..."OMG CM PUNK IS BACK !!! HE'S GOING AFTER OMEGA !!' The very crowds in AEW are wanting Punk BADLY. They will not give 2 shits if he suddenly goes after him.

Yeeeaaahh....no that isn't it at all. They are paying Punk a HUGE SALARY for a reason to come back. He's bigger than 90% of the fucking roster as it stands right now. He's gonna put shine on guys by working with them as time passes sure. But CM Punk is signed because A- He's the biggest name the people have demanded for years and he left at the top of the industry. B- He already is so massively over he sold out an arena and he hasn't even been announced yet.

CM Punk was signed because he's a major huge name and Khan has to get down and open that Forbidden Door and give Punk his price tag and creative control of his character he wanted. And Khan being smart said , oh f--k this is CM Punk. I screwed up 2+ years ago and didn't treat Punk serious and all. This time I gotta approach it better.

AEW's product has issues with booking. A number of fans (some who don't watch anymore) gave up on booking of things the past year. They are excited for Punk arriving but its clear if AEW approaches their biggest free agent signing like its a by the book deal and try to act like he's just another guy on the roster. Its gonna fail. You have to change the ball game and ride momentum here.

Punk has it. You ride the hot $$$ and don't worry about how this effects your "win 5 matches" deal etc. Punk can win a match a week or hell explain he came to challenge the top man and he doesn't play Khan's game or Omega's. You either grow some balls and face me or live in shadows of never beating THE BEST IN THE WORLD , Kenny. (which Omega's pride will see him accept it at Full Gear)
    You want AEW to book like WWE and no one who is a fan of that company wants that. Punk will come in hot but he needs to be build up first. The man hasn't been in a wrestling ring for 7 years. Throwing him into a main-event program after being away for so long is asking for a HHH vs Scott Steiner level disaster. I'll put him against a midcard heel to get the ball rolling. Ethan Page and Scorpio Sky should be free. They need something to do after the Allin feud and are good enough workers to cover up any rust on Punk's part.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    You want AEW to book like WWE and no one who is a fan of that company wants that. Punk will come in hot but he needs to be build up first. The man hasn't been in a wrestling ring for 7 years. Throwing him into a main-event program after being away for so long is asking for a HHH vs Scott Steiner level disaster. I'll put him against a midcard heel to get the ball rolling. Ethan Page and Scorpio Sky should be free. They need something to do after the Allin feud and are good enough workers to cover up any rust on Punk's part.
    No I want AEW to book like a company that wants to make damn money and wants to execute that way. Because WCW , TNA and WWE has booked marquee dream matches QUICK. They think ..."we need to make some major $$$$ with this....he's hot...and quick..."

As someone mentioned the more Punk wrestles that value goes down essentially. The more in ring he gets the more his "return" goes down. So you have to think here....ok we have a dream marquee match , a return match to see if Punk still has it. This is $$$. AEW is being handed a golden ticket. This is big as Forbidden Door situation. If they do this 2-3 months from now at Full Gear , Omega vs Punk could be a huge...PPV.

Now you can book Punk in tag matches up til this. Have him take part in post match beat downs per say all while having guys work out with Punk off TV to get him ready for his grand return. Either way you save Punk's 1st solo match in years...for PPV. Against the biggest star here. It screams money. And WCW , TNA and WWE all love money.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

No I want AEW to book like a company that wants to make damn money and wants to execute that way. Because WCW , TNA and WWE has booked marquee dream matches QUICK. They think ..."we need to make some major $$$$ with this....he's hot...and quick..."

As someone mentioned the more Punk wrestles that value goes down essentially. The more in ring he gets the more his "return" goes down. So you have to think here....ok we have a dream marquee match , a return match to see if Punk still has it. This is $$$. AEW is being handed a golden ticket. This is big as Forbidden Door situation. If they do this 2-3 months from now at Full Gear , Omega vs Punk could be a huge...PPV.

Now you can book Punk in tag matches up til this. Have him take part in post match beat downs per say all while having guys work out with Punk off TV to get him ready for his grand return. Either way you save Punk's 1st solo match in years...for PPV. Against the biggest star here. It screams money. And WCW , TNA and WWE all love money.
    As someone mentioned here before in this thread, if the build is good the fans will be patient. Sting didn't wrestle a match for a full year in the build against Hogan and Starrcade 97 pulled in WCW biggest buy rate in company history. They can afford to be patient with Punk as long they can maintain momentum

Extraordinary Member

WCW, TNA, and WWE also wasted chances at money with clumsy, myopic booking. They left money on the table by getting tunnel vision and looking at one gem instead of several. That’s why WCW and TNA are dead (since Impact is basically a whole different thing now) and why WWE has been suffering unnecessary diminishing returns. WCW became so consumed by the NWO they failed to use Sting, Bret Hart, or Goldberg right, while TNA became so consumed by ex-WWE stars they let their own homegrown talent fall to the wayside. WWE got so focused on setting up Rock vs Cena and on letting the Kliq do their thing they wasted Punk’s title reign.

Punk Vs Moxley could take place concurrently to Omega Vs Bryan, or Punk vs Penta could take place concurrently to Omega Vs Andrade.

Punk himself *is* the special attraction; he doesn’t need the belt. He’ll make “damn money” if booked properly, with or without the belt. Moxley and Omega were special attractions at the start of AEW; Undertaker and Sean Michaels became special attractions in the latter decades of their careers; Punk and Danielson occupy the same place now.

You want to stack your entire card as well as you can; Punk + Another Top Carder is an “Ace” all by itself, while a separate Champ (likely still Omega) + Another Top Carder is another “Ace.”

You’re right that if they want to make major $$$ they need to strike with Punk while the iron is hot… but that doesn’t mean you have to take all your other irons out of the fire to do so.
    Last edited by godisawesome; 08-14-2021 at 06:21 PM.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    As someone mentioned here before in this thread, if the build is good the fans will be patient. Sting didn't wrestle a match for a full year in the build against Hogan and Starrcade 97 pulled in WCW biggest buy rate in company history. They can afford to be patient with Punk as long they can maintain momentum
    Again they only get one Punk singles return match and blowing it quick is not money.

Lets mention TNA here with Angle. I was on these boards where Angle had been portrayed as a maniac who needed to quit or die in ring then after his WWE release that spring. I remarked to folks then WWE had lied about his release (twice). But he hadn't worked in months and this..."build" of that played into TNA's favor. People wondered if Kurt still had it. If he was seriously gonna be good still. Also TNA rolled out the dream marquee match as his return against Samoa Joe.

The match with Joe did TNA's biggest monthly buyrate in history (and they never could top it). Because TNA went with momentum. They could have held off sure for months. But they had Angle's return match after months away and "talk" of him. So they knew...he's gonna make some f'n money and we need that.

Same situation here with bigger question mark on Punk.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    WCW, TNA, and WWE also wasted chances at money with clumsy, myopic booking. They left money on the table by getting tunnel vision and looking at one gem instead of several. That’s why WCW and TNA are dead (since Impact is basically a whole different thing now) and why WWE has been suffering unnecessary diminishing returns.
    Yes those companies have screwed up with booking , but they also hit HOME RUNS as well. Bischoff nailed Hogan/Flair quick . That was a home run. He failed with giving Hogan/Goldberg too soon and not Starrcade 1998. WWE hit a home run with Hogan/Rock as we saw at Wrestlemania. Hogan had arrived 2-3 months earlier and WWF people wanted to see if he still had IT. Austin was offered that (which he seems to regret that now) and Rock took it and RAN. That moment they announced they'd face each other became a pretty awesome deal.

The fans took to both men and they literally sold the Wrestlemania on this exchange they had.

Yes the WWE , TNA and WCW made crap mistakes and they paid the cost. But they also made huge money on things as we see. Because they delivered the dream marquee matches well to deliver $$$.

Punk Vs Moxley could take place concurrently to Omega Vs Bryan, or Punk vs Penta could take place concurrently to Omega Vs Andrade.
    You could literally do programs after you get the BIG MONEY 1st. One shot at major marquee money here. Then you can do all the Punk vs ... matches and programs after.

Punk himself *is* the special attraction; he doesn’t need the belt. He’ll make “damn money” if booked properly, with or without the belt. Moxley and Omega were special attractions at the start of AEW; Undertaker and Sean Michaels became special attractions in the latter decades of their careers; Punk and Danielson occupy the same place now.
    The thing with Punk is ...he's coming extremely healthy now. He's all healed up , 42 years old and if worked well could go a decade before he drifts into an Undertaker/Shawn Michaels role. He can be their A+ star and guy AEW sells to advertisers and video game people. Him coming out at "upfronts" with Omega , Bucks and Cody will be a good deal. AEW isn't getting a guy at tail end of his career here...if booked good. Punk doesn't need the belt sure at Full Gear. But he does need to face Omega and make his return there against him to make that extra CHA CHING.

You’re right that if they want to make major $$$ they need to strike with Punk while the iron is hot… but that doesn’t mean you have to take all your other irons out of the fire to do so.
    They aren't taking other irons out of fire. Page has went home awhile. They are just...holding off a awhile to do the major money. Which I'm sure Page and others will understand as it helps the health of the company and all.

Extraordinary Member

And the problem is that you keep pretending that there were no consequences to that kind of booking

If AEW throws there existing roster under the bus for Punk, what happens if Punk decides he doesn't wanna keep wrestling a year from now?

What happens if Punk gets a career ending injury?

What happens if the Fans turn on Punk once him showing up stops being a special event?

If any of that happens, then the company has shot itself in the foot.

Do Punk fans even want him against Omega? I got the impression from a year ago to now it was Darby and Page (both of whom Punk said he wanted to wrestle). And he wants a KENTA feud. Man ... AEW could use that forbidden door match for that. THAT is a big match.

For my money, those are the feuds I would plunk money down for. And I do not like CM Punk. He doesn't need to be in the hunt.

Bryan vs. Omega would be the the title match that could really push that belt and Omega over the line for the mainstream fan.

A CM Punk heel feud with Page vying for his shot back would be a perfect #2 program after a Darby feud.

I think Punk and/or Bryan going heel sooner than later is where the money's at.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 08-14-2021 at 06:50 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

TripleMania rundown so far:

I’m 99% sure Brian Cage played the Thanos character, but I can’t be sure with the mask on. You know how tricky it is to tell Clark Kent apart from Superman. Thanos was on a run of domination when Incredible Hulk broke through a brick wall to save the day. Captain America hit Venom with a Spanish Fly followed by a 630 senton from Spider-Man to win. Those characters aren’t the luchador names, but I used them in the quick results to give a sense of who was represented.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Do Punk fans even want him against Omega? I got the impression from a year ago to now it was Darby and Page (both of whom Punk said he wanted to wrestle). And he wants a KENTA feud. Man ... AEW could use that forbidden door match for that. THAT is a big match.

For my money, those are the feuds I would plunk money down for. And I do not like CM Punk. He doesn't need to be in the hunt.

Bryan vs. Omega would be the the title match that could really push that belt and Omega over the line for the mainstream fan.

A CM Punk heel feud with Page vying for his shot back would be a perfect #2 program after a Darby feud.

While I don’t think Punk and Omega would be a bad feud, Inthink he’d be best served going up against someone with an even more established personality, like Moxley, Penta, or Darby.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Punk has mentioned Omega a couple times. That he'd love to do that one against him and get major money for it. (I mean you gotta applaud Punk for being honest as he knows this match would be a $$$ match)

You don't need to like him. He's coming in at a major money deal being paid a huge salary. So he has to be pushed. Its just business. Its like when Goldberg in 2003 was paid a huge inflated deal by WWE then. Not many liked Goldberg then but WWE had to run dream matches with him at top of the card awhile and get $$$ off him. Business.

Oh I agree Bryan vs Omega in time would do just that. But right now Punk has that $$$ momentum and you gotta do ...business.

I'd think if Page won the belt at previous PPV before Punk/Omega would work and after it you can have Punk challenge Page next. Saying he proved he's still BEST IN THE WORLD and coming for Page. (Course with my plan I'd love to see Flair and Arn create a new young 4 Horsemen as they mentor them all with Page taking a role in that...)

I'd think Punk turning heel a year in would be great. After he drops the title in a way and gets into it with Khan. But as Cornette brings up...Punk's so gifted with promos the moment he starts saying he took the money etc to just be there a section of fans will side with him. They brought feuding with Cody...and that could happen down the line.

Well that big rudo mystery group from CMLL has killed the Marvel guys. And Iguana.

And now we have a rudo vs. Rudo fued.

Led by Puma King!!!
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 08-14-2021 at 07:29 PM.

I think dream wise and with Arn owning the 4 Horsemen name makes sense for Flair to lead the new young 4 Horsemen with Tully , Arn and Barry as old mentors.

Flair comes out and aligns with Hangman Page. Arn turns heel and picks someone and Tully picks his guys the FTR who Arn likes too. Barry likes Page and Flair admits he always thought Windham was gonna lead original 4 horsemen then so he selects him too.

The old guys mentor and manage the new heel 4 Horsemen who come out and all. But yeah Flair managing a new heel 4 Horsemen just screams to be done AEW.

Also moving away from AEW and all....I tried listening to some of Cornette's podcast about Beautiful Bobby and him breaking down crying over Bobby Eaton was hard. Its the only podcast I believe he ever done where he sounds...so human. A rare not angry just...grief as Last tries to help. I got so many minutes in and had to quit. That was too hard as its clear Jim Cornette lost a dear friend he literally loved. And he admits he tried shooting it several times and would break down to not air it.