Page 132 of 902 FirstFirst ... 3282122128129130131132133134135136142182232632 ... LastLast
Results 1,966 to 1,980 of 13529

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Your talking about and million and half people watching weekly. Lets not kid ourselves...the signings done is to lure a bigger audience. They aren't just signing them to mentor young talent. Its to get "NAMES" to lure more to watch. To have a OMG Sting is in AEW !! OMG Bryan Danielson is in AEW !! They want the names to sell to draw a bigger crowd and they aren't worried about alienating the indie crowd who are gonna be pissed CM Punk showed up and got in Omega's face. Because if the audience shows up its gonna be ..."OMG CM PUNK IS BACK !!! HE'S GOING AFTER OMEGA !!' The very crowds in AEW are wanting Punk BADLY. They will not give 2 shits if he suddenly goes after him.

Yeeeaaahh....no that isn't it at all. They are paying Punk a HUGE SALARY for a reason to come back. He's bigger than 90% of the fucking roster as it stands right now. He's gonna put shine on guys by working with them as time passes sure. But CM Punk is signed because A- He's the biggest name the people have demanded for years and he left at the top of the industry. B- He already is so massively over he sold out an arena and he hasn't even been announced yet.

CM Punk was signed because he's a major huge name and Khan has to get down and open that Forbidden Door and give Punk his price tag and creative control of his character he wanted. And Khan being smart said , oh f--k this is CM Punk. I screwed up 2+ years ago and didn't treat Punk serious and all. This time I gotta approach it better.

AEW's product has issues with booking. A number of fans (some who don't watch anymore) gave up on booking of things the past year. They are excited for Punk arriving but its clear if AEW approaches their biggest free agent signing like its a by the book deal and try to act like he's just another guy on the roster. Its gonna fail. You have to change the ball game and ride momentum here.

Punk has it. You ride the hot $$$ and don't worry about how this effects your "win 5 matches" deal etc. Punk can win a match a week or hell explain he came to challenge the top man and he doesn't play Khan's game or Omega's. You either grow some balls and face me or live in shadows of never beating THE BEST IN THE WORLD , Kenny. (which Omega's pride will see him accept it at Full Gear)
    my main point was you're not in touch with what the aew audience wants or cares about, and with each post you've further proven that point.

as far as the business stuff i'd like to sum it up with a little story:

2 bulls, father and son atop a hill looking down on a herd of cows grazing. the impatient son says " hey pop, how bout we run down this hill and fuk one of them cows??" the wise father says "no son, let's walk down the hill and fuk them all"

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Two matches in Sting's top 10 of matches in his career were mid card matches (against then-not-main-eventers):

Sting vs Cactus Jack Beach Blast 1992
    Sting vs Regal Great American Bash 1996

That's a testament to how great Foley and Regal were, how they could make their opponent look so great because I'm not the biggest Sting fan. There was no NWA on anything when I was growing up in the Northern US. Nobody watched WCW until Nitro started in my area. But to challenge myself, I've been watching a lot of Sting matches lately, trying to determine what his top 10 are.
    same with me on the west coast. about 8-9 years ago i discovered i very much enjoy sting's work pre-crow character. kind of reminds me of cena.

No I want AEW to book like a company that wants to make damn money and wants to execute that way. Because WCW , TNA and WWE has booked marquee dream matches QUICK. They think ..."we need to make some major $$$$ with this....he's hot...and quick..."

As someone mentioned the more Punk wrestles that value goes down essentially. The more in ring he gets the more his "return" goes down. So you have to think here....ok we have a dream marquee match , a return match to see if Punk still has it. This is $$$. AEW is being handed a golden ticket. This is big as Forbidden Door situation. If they do this 2-3 months from now at Full Gear , Omega vs Punk could be a huge...PPV.

Now you can book Punk in tag matches up til this. Have him take part in post match beat downs per say all while having guys work out with Punk off TV to get him ready for his grand return. Either way you save Punk's 1st solo match in years...for PPV. Against the biggest star here. It screams money. And WCW , TNA and WWE all love money.
    but you're not going to get paid so why care if it's anything but good or bad??

I think dream wise and with Arn owning the 4 Horsemen name makes sense for Flair to lead the new young 4 Horsemen with Tully , Arn and Barry as old mentors.

Flair comes out and aligns with Hangman Page. Arn turns heel and picks someone and Tully picks his guys the FTR who Arn likes too. Barry likes Page and Flair admits he always thought Windham was gonna lead original 4 horsemen then so he selects him too.

The old guys mentor and manage the new heel 4 Horsemen who come out and all. But yeah Flair managing a new heel 4 Horsemen just screams to be done AEW.
    Him becoming his manager in AEW and doing this as a promo...

"Me , Arn Anderson , Tully Blanchard and Barry Windham made the 4 Horsemen ! This stood for something. Now...its time for a new version to ride.."

Then you have Flair name Andrade as the new leader of 4 Horsemen. How he styles ...how he profiles and is the BEST THING GOING TODAY. (In a spot Andrade and group lay out Chavo Guerrero and beat him down Horsemen style once he questions him turning against his own family)

Barry will pick Hangman Page (Page gets Windham comparisons and the 2 click there. While Hangman isn't full heel he is a tweener) .

Tully and Arn get together and both love the FTR. Its Flair who meets with Arn and reminds him of what the ENFORCER used to be. No more backing Cody Rhodes and taking beat downs for him etc. He's AA.

With Anderson owning the name its time to RIDE.
    my god that all sounds so horrible. do you remember the last time they tried this?? i know people forget because of the awesomely wild shit that happened with lethal but before that flair BERRIED his group(then forgot the point of the segment was to set up wolfe vs lethal)
    Last edited by BigLbo; 08-15-2021 at 12:30 AM.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    my main point was you're not in touch with what the aew audience wants or cares about, and with each post you've further proven that point.

as far as the business stuff i'd like to sum it up with a little story:

2 bulls, father and son atop a hill looking down on a herd of cows grazing. the impatient son says " hey pop, how bout we run down this hill and fuk one of them cows??" the wise father says "no son, let's walk down the hill and fuk them all"]
    The AEW audience doesn't seem to give a shit about growing their company they love and not realize not everything has to be booked to their liking as they grow.

Here is a better analogy that fits.

2 bulls, father and son atop a hill looking down on a herd of cows grazing. the impatient son says father lets go down and fuk one of those cows. The wise father speaks up and says no son lets go down and fuk them all as we always have done. Because nothing will change ! Then wise father is stunned as more bulls appear and both soon don't get laid.

"Father we should have went down and fuk'd those cows when we had the chance." as the father and son have to leave as the cows are all gone now. Because wise father wanted to do what he's always done...and missed his chance

my god that all sounds so horrible. do you remember the last time they tried this?? i know people forget because of the awesomely wild shit that happened with lethal but before that flair BERRIED his group(then forgot the point of the segment was to set up wolfe vs lethal)
    [video=youtube;_Chk7uQbHbs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Chk7uQbHbs[/video
    And yes ....and Fortune was very damn good for what he had and him as manager. AJ Styles has long said Flair helped him backstage with promos and helped him develop as a heel. AJ wasn't a good promo cutter for years in TNA. We have to remember that. Putting the top people in Fortune like Styles , Roode and Storm was a good move. Had TNA not made Flair wrestle as much and just kept him around his boys as Fortune would have been great.

Once he went with Hogan's Immortal that was a mistake. Flair should have stayed with his stable since he put them together. So pointing at this tells me ...the disconnect here. Flair in TNA wrestling a lot....NOT GOOD. Flair as a manager in a J.J. Dillion role cutting promos and helping these guys....GOLD.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    NJPW just announced a return to the Bay Area this fall. Jon Moxley, Jay White, David Finlay, Tomohiro Ishii, & Lio Rush will be on the card. Rush is going for a title!

I will be pulling an all nighter tonight! Found a stream (recorded) of Resurgence!
    Wait, Lio Rush has un-retired again???

The boy's a joker.

Also posting the EPIC woo off segment really illustrates how great Flair is. So if Flair can help Lethal and Styles this way creating a new actual 4 Horsemen stable with him , Arn and Tully as the managers watching their guys will be GOLD. With Arn holding the name....I hope AEW does it.

Also Lio Rush is out to break the record on retirements Terry Funk has at this stage.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

The AEW audience doesn't seem to give a shit about growing their company they love and not realize not everything has to be booked to their liking as they grow.

Here is a better analogy that fits.

2 bulls, father and son atop a hill looking down on a herd of cows grazing. the impatient son says father lets go down and fuk one of those cows. The wise father speaks up and says no son lets go down and fuk them all as we always have done. Because nothing will change ! Then wise father is stunned as more bulls appear and both soon don't get laid.

"Father we should have went down and fuk'd those cows when we had the chance." as the father and son have to leave as the cows are all gone now. Because wise father wanted to do what he's always done...and missed his chance
    no the original is much better. short, to the point, insightful and humorous. i'm sure there's an analogy out there to xpress the point you're trying to make. something along the lines of striking while the iron is hot.

i guess you didn't notice but aew has grown, a lot and during a pandemic on top of that.

And yes ....and Fortune was very damn good for what he had and him as manager. AJ Styles has long said Flair helped him backstage with promos and helped him develop as a heel. AJ wasn't a good promo cutter for years in TNA. We have to remember that. Putting the top people in Fortune like Styles , Roode and Storm was a good move. Had TNA not made Flair wrestle as much and just kept him around his boys as Fortune would have been great.

Once he went with Hogan's Immortal that was a mistake. Flair should have stayed with his stable since he put them together. So pointing at this tells me ...the disconnect here. Flair in TNA wrestling a lot....NOT GOOD. Flair as a manager in a J.J. Dillion role cutting promos and helping these guys....GOLD.
    did you actually watch the promo and still completely miss the point?? that was not gold and did nothing to help those guys, it made them all look pretty stupid to be honest.

they already have a generic horsemen group with the pinochle, and they don't need flair because they have mjf.
    Last edited by BigLbo; 08-15-2021 at 06:18 AM.

Also posting the EPIC woo off segment really illustrates how great Flair is. So if Flair can help Lethal and Styles this way creating a new actual 4 Horsemen stable with him , Arn and Tully as the managers watching their guys will be GOLD. With Arn holding the name....I hope AEW does it.

Also Lio Rush is out to break the record on retirements Terry Funk has at this stage.
    the wooo thing with lethal is funny, but the whole point of the segment was to set up a match between lethal and wolfe later, yet by the end nobody even remembered wolfe was there. so in that regard it was a big failure.

no the original is much better. short, to the point, insightful and humorous. i'm sure there's an analogy out there to xpress the point you're trying to make. something along the lines of striking while the iron is hot.

i guess you didn't notice but aew has grown, a lot and during a pandemic on top of that.

did you actually watch the promo and still completely miss the point?? that was not gold and did nothing to help those guys, it made them all look pretty stupid to be honest.

they already have a generic horsemen group with the pinochle, and they don't need flair because they have mjf.
    the wooo thing with lethal is funny, but the whole point of the segment was to set up a match between lethal and wolfe later, yet by the end nobody even remembered wolfe was there. so in that regard it was a big failure.

My analogy takes it to a notch of ...YOU CAN'T DO THE SAME THING EVERY TIME. Father bull wants to do what he's always done.

AEW has added tons of talent and new show. Which is nice but you have to grow with TV Ratings , Tickets sold , PPV Buyrates. As brought up by others Punk's biggest selling point is his 1st match as well. The more he wrestles that "demand" goes down. You have to strike and go with the biggest selling tools to older and newer growing audience. You want that newer audience to see Punk face the best and see if he STILL HAS IT. And you do your biggest sell job with Omega involved. Because not only does this help get new viewers to AEW it helps Kenny Omega.

Which I hope AEW understands. Punk has time to face Orange Cassidy , Darby Alin and everyone. But this is a pot of gold under a rainbow and you get 1 shot at making the biggest $$$ marquee match with such big things...once.

Pinacle is ...BOOORING. I mean beyond MJF and Wardlow ...who else is involved ? Also as one AEW fan on my FB joked...Wardlow is the case of an absolute great looking monster who shouldn't be wrestling.

Flair as Bischoff brought up to Conrad was , he could see what Flair was doing promo wise. He was trying to motivate these guys to be HUNGRY. To have that ANIMAL part in ring like the original Horsemen had. He wanted that killer part of them to emerge. Its why he brought em together. To be fair Wolfe was sadly the odd man out in this a fact Flair doesn't seem high on him and calls him Luger of the group in essence. So Wolfe was on a tryout deal against Lethal. lol

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

AEW isn't really about PPV Buyrates. Tony Khan has talked about this before. The reason why events like Fyter Fest are TV events is because the PPV market isn't lucrative as it once was. It's why their PPVs are quarterly as oppose to every month like WWE and Impact use to do. You want this guys to follow an old model that doesn't work anymore.

AEW has done a fine job growing without needing to do everything you want them to do. Their model is working.
    Last edited by Immortal Weapon; 08-15-2021 at 08:14 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    AEW isn't really about PPV Buyrates. Tony Khan has talked about this before. The reason why events like Fyter Fest are TV events is because the PPV market isn't lucrative as it once was. It's why their PPVs are quarterly as oppose to every month like WWE and Impact use to do. You want this guys to follow an old model that doesn't work anymore.

AEW has done a fine job growing without needing to do every you want them to do. Their model is working.

This.

As much as I've criticised AEW, their booking and current business model makes sense.

And it's been working quite well, there's no reason to change it.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

One reason I love Youtube (and dailymotion) is that you can stumble on a match (or part of match) you've never seen before and be wowed: Kota Ibushi vs. La Sombra (6/1/10, NJPW Best Of The Super Junior XVII)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXnH6ylf9FA
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

AEW has done a fine job growing without needing to do everything you want them to do. Their model is working.
    Every company wants to make money and even with PPV not what it once was with WWE changing the business model for themselves. Tony Khan is saying this because its to not really bring up that AEWs PPVs aren't at a bigger level.

Once they hit a mark , dollars to donuts that gets mentioned. Every company wants to make money. Khan included. TV deals only go so far.

TNA survived for years off TV deals and staying in black there. And lets be honest...they didn't have the major money invested like Tony Khan has.

At some point Khan's father (the real money guy behind this) will wanna see money grow. He isn't gonna take how PPV buyrates don't matter lol

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Every company wants to make money and even with PPV not what it once was with WWE changing the business model for themselves. Tony Khan is saying this because its to not really bring up that AEWs PPVs aren't at a bigger level.

Once they hit a mark , dollars to donuts that gets mentioned. Every company wants to make money. Khan included. TV deals only go so far.

TNA survived for years off TV deals and staying in black there. And lets be honest...they didn't have the major money invested like Tony Khan has.

At some point Khan's father (the real money guy behind this) will wanna see money grow. He isn't gonna take how PPV buyrates don't matter lol
    You say TV deals can only go so far but that's exactly how WWE has managed to set record breaking profits for itself. It's why that company is completely fine with it's popularity metrics being down the shitter. Merch sales, live attendance, TV ratings and network subs (for oversea markets) isn't what's keeping them afloat. As long as they can continue to con Fox and NBC for billions for their content they will be fine.

That said, AEW will be fine as long as Warner continues to cover production costs, maintains getting half of advertiser revenue and producing their 5-6 hours of content every week for TV and YouTube. Having fans that actually give a shit about the product and wanting to support it is a big plus. Tony Khan knows how to make money in this current business climate. Doing it the old way is flushing money down the toilet.

do you know what a donut costs today?? that saying is outdated as is your business advice.

You say TV deals can only go so far but that's exactly how WWE has managed to set record breaking profits for itself. It's why that company is completely fine with it's popularity metrics being down the shitter. Merch sales, live attendance, TV ratings and network subs (for oversea markets) isn't what's keeping them afloat. As long as they can continue to con Fox and NBC for billions for their content they will be fine.

That said, AEW will be fine as long as Warner continues to cover production costs, maintains getting half of advertiser revenue and producing their 5-6 hours of content every week for TV and YouTube. Having fans that actually give a shit about the product and wanting to support it is a big plus. Tony Khan knows how to make money in this current business climate. Doing it the old way is flushing money down the toilet.
    Your comparing WWE which is more a content driven company now to a new starting growing company that needs to grow. Its a silly comparison.

WWEs TV deals were done as years past and growth to that. Fox may look at its now considered blunder deal next negotiating if ratings aren't better and cut it drastically.

The WWE doesn't even need to these cable companys anymore. They can now just live off WWE Network and shoot content for Peacock...truth. ( i won't be shocked in a decade if this happens)

TV networks are a fickle business. Executives change. Today Warner Media loves AEW just like Spike did TNA. Tomorrow they may change.

But you have to grow all your business. Not just say nothing needs to change or anything. TNA didn't grow its business enough in time...and failed.

AEW can't follow a mindset that they keep booking the same way forever as things can stay that way. That everything will be fine as is. That is where it can lead to collapse

do you know what a donut costs today?? that saying is outdated as is your business advice.
    It sure beats your great cow fuk analogy. Which made no sense at all.