Page 137 of 902 FirstFirst ... 3787127133134135136137138139140141147187237637 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,055 of 13529
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    So the biggest free agent the company ever signed should get no response from the top guy in company ? Because bringing in a huge star should have your champion speak up or say something.

And again the money program is Punk vs Omega. That is the big money...at some point. So you have to tease it...you have to get the fans to know...its coming at some stage.

And given what we have seen already they should have hot shotted and went for HR money. Because again this is their Hogan type signing.

I'm glad AEW fans weren't around when Bischoff did Hogan vs Flair in 1994. Because it would have had people go...

"I can't believe their hot shotting Hogan vs Flair ! He should face Arn Anderson 1st !" Lol

There is nothing against Darby. Its one of those....eventually them doing something would make sense. Now its...really after 7 years this is his 1st match ?
    I don't know the details of his contract but if he's in AEW on a full time basis then there's no rush.

Let him go through some other guys on the roster and then build up to the big clash with the champion.

We know it's going to happen at some point (i.e Punk going for the AEW championship) but AEW need to make use of Punk to enhance their entire roster.

Punk being on a card is already money, they don't need him in the title picture yet. So AEW should take advantage of this and build a strong line up which is what they are looking to do by having Punk take on one of their up and coming superstars.

WCW hot shot the feud with Flair, blew their load early, and led to Hogan feuding with people like Beefcake and Boss Man because they blew it early. People started to not care anymore so they turned him heel.

Hogan in WCW should be used as a case to AEW in using hindsight.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Astonishing Member

I mean...maybe they're saving Omega for Danielson?

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

They are saving Omega for Page. They built that man up to be main face for two years. They ain't throwing that work away.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    AEW is a company that has succeeded doing things on its own terms. They don't need their champion to face Punk because Punk himself is a big enough of a draw on his own. Put him up against anyone and it will be money. Knowing that they should put him against guys they want to elevate. Guys like Darby.

You are the one who needs to get a clue here. This is not the company that does things for short term gains.
    AEW fans "stomp feet ...we don't care.." . Because basically this seems to be what your saying. Punk is there long term. He's gonna elevate people at some stage but right now he's your star. Doing things because the company hasn't before isn't good. Hopefully wise people there see what Warner Media wants and realizes....this helps the company if we approach Punk as not the typical AEW signing and book situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    WCW hot shot the feud with Flair, blew their load early, and led to Hogan feuding with people like Beefcake and Boss Man because they blew it early. People started to not care anymore so they turned him heel.

Hogan in WCW should be used as a case to AEW in using hindsight.
    This is partly true because beyond Flair and Vader they didn't have top big heels at the time. WCW only had 2 real dominant heels in the company. Rick Rude would have been a 3rd big heel in WCW but he hurt his back killing that. Of course WCW at the time was weirdly trying Rude as a face ! His final month he teased a program with Vader on TV and then he hurt his back against Sting and ended his career.

But again we have to look at this. People saying WCW shot its load early with Flair....well they didn't have a roster of upper card monster heels for Hulk to run through for months to get to Flair. I mean they obviously couldn't take their biggest signing and sit back and wait 6 months and hope fans would buy into waiting til say...Starrcade 94.

Bischoff had the biggest star he ever signed , his biggest heel and he had to run it. Turner itself as a company was behind the Hogan deal if we remember. Do we think Ted Turner would be patient to wait on WCW to do 6 months of build as Hogan faced Arn Anderson , Blacktop Bully and more to get to Flair ? They'd likely fire Bischoff for bumbling their companies biggest signing.

After the Flair program and Vader the company did try and create a monster heel stable. They did eventually get The Giant as we saw that Fall 1995. But the problem was a shortage of big star heels beyond Flair & Vader in 1994 and 1995 played a part and would have even if Hulk had 6 months to build there. (Which as I posted I think Ted Turner would have fired Bischoff for wasting the signing)
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

AEW's kayfabe design doesn't allow for title shots right when you show up.

Their actual booking shows that is true.

You have to be #1 and have 5 wins at least.

Christian got a work around because it was for another title. And now has the wins for the AEW title.

AEW is booking the titles a bit like when the International Wrestling Grand Prix was formed, sans committee.

Makes since because the founders are huge puro marks.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    They are saving Omega for Page. They built that man up to be main face for two years. They ain't throwing that work away.
    As posted , this is why you tease the future and do it after the next couple months. Having your main star heel ignore the biggest change and attention in company isn't good. Omega should be pissed and detail how he's the main star still on Dynamite. Leading to their 1st interaction , this is your tease that within a few months after Page or whatever Omega is doing...you set the stage ahead for the BIG ONE.

Hell they could have Omega lose at the next PPV in September to Page and that clears all that up.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Why are we all assuming that Punk is going to stay a face? He had a couple of good runs as a heel in WWE. I could see him turning heel after Page defeats Omega and then we get Page vs. Punk.
    Watching television is not an activity.

As posted , this is why you tease the future and do it after the next couple months. Having your main star heel ignore the biggest change and attention in company isn't good. Omega should be pissed and detail how he's the main star still on Dynamite. Leading to their 1st interaction , this is your tease that within a few months after Page or whatever Omega is doing...you set the stage ahead for the BIG ONE.

Hell they could have Omega lose at the next PPV in September to Page and that clears all that up.
    Omega has his hands full with Christian and collecting titles.

This isn't WWE where they abandon a hot storyline for a new shiny toy and then throw both away both.

AEW has been more successful doing their stuff their way. If Punk even wants a title run, I am sure it will happen organically. Trust their process. They have earned it.

It is not 80s or 90s. It is 2021. Maybe you, Corny, and the WWE should join us sometime. It is pretty fun. We are bonking all the cows on the way down the hill!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Why are we all assuming that Punk is going to stay a face? He had a couple of good runs as a heel in WWE. I could see him turning heel after Page defeats Omega and then we get Page vs. Punk.
    Given the reaction of people openly weeping for Punk on Rampage...I'd say he's gonna stay a face awhile. Likely a year in.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Omega has his hands full with Christian and collecting titles.
    This is the same guy who just worked AAA and Andrade in a match ? He seems able to handle multiple storylines with a main one running right now.

This isn't WWE where they abandon a hot storyline for a new shiny toy and then throw both away both.

AEW has been more successful doing their stuff their way. If Punk even wants a title run, I am sure it will happen organically. Trust their process. They have earned it.
    This isn't WWE sure , but its also not a regular situation where the company can sit back and operate on a regular basis. They have likely their biggest star to date and one that even the companies airing them are gonna put a promotional push behind from reports. This is like say....if this was 2001 and AEW had launched and gotten Bill Goldberg in his prime. Turner and Warner Media would want the guy pushed due to promotional push they plan.

So it makes sense you have to try and get the most from it.

It is not 80s or 90s. It is 2021. Maybe you, Corny, and the WWE should join us sometime. It is pretty fun. We are bonking all the cows on the way down the hill!
    Trying to slam history and more is nonsense. But given you folks keep trying and failing....

For the record at home....since its ignored. This isn't the typical AEW signing. The company above AEW airing is wanting a promotional push for Punk and the company. So again without pointing at reality of a business that existed what makes sense here ?

Teasing a big future program where the busy World Champion will eventually face this big superstar.

Or staying in a holding pattern and not tease something that will happen months from now. (take in Mind Punk has said he's gonna be on TV weekly)

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

AEW fans "stomp feet ...we don't care.." . Because basically this seems to be what your saying. Punk is there long term. He's gonna elevate people at some stage but right now he's your star. Doing things because the company hasn't before isn't good. Hopefully wise people there see what Warner Media wants and realizes....this helps the company if we approach Punk as not the typical AEW signing and book situation.
    I trust their process. Nothing that AEW has done in terms of booking their main title has disappointed me or made me feel underwhelmed. Wanting the company to abandon a strategy that's worked for them for short term gain ain't it.

They'll do that once Punk becomes relevant to the Elite. Maybe once Punk reachs #3 or #2 on their kayfabe rankings they can beginning teasing something. They have another week to build the All Out PPV. It will be a waste to tease something that can't deliver on.

Astonishing Member

Are they going to have CM Punk farm wins on AEW Dark and the Youtube Shows in order to develop him as a contender?

The funniest part of this is the whole "slamming of the 80's and 90's era" in a sense. On how its not that era again etc. Yet the very same ideals are hitting as we see.

- 80's Era : Vince McMahon raids the territories as 3 main companies run the US . With Crockett , AWA and WWF. Vince raids tons of talent in the 80's eventually crippling the AWA as we saw. Leading to big WWF business then.

- 90's Era : Eric Bischoff once in charge begins raiding the WWF of talent. He also raids ECW. The final territories go outta business due to Monday Night Wars due to loss of attention , talent etc.

- 2000's Era : TNA under Dixie Carter raids WWE of talent with signing Kurt Angle , Booker T , Sting etc ...

- 2010's Era : Vince McMahon begins raiding Japan , TNA/Impact and Ring of Honor for talent. Signing Samoa Joe , Roode , AJ Styles etc.

- 2020's Era : Tony Khan begins signing a ton of ex-WWE talent who are released right now. Landing CM Punk and Daniel Bryan....

Its like people are saying , this ain't the previous eras...yet were seeing the same usual steps done. Which isn't a bad thing at all. Have you noticed beyond the signings of Mark Henry and Big Show (who I am happy is wrestling) I joked about as announcers. Beyond that I applauded Khan for signing who he can to AEW and building out a very solid roster. Because Bischoff , Dixie and even Vince has done that himself in past.

Also I'm pretty sure that at least half this wrestling forum would not exist as it does now with the whole blasting those bygone eras. Because lets face it...the business took off in 1990's. It helped Punk and others decide to do this business. It also has led Warner Media to jump into AEW because of the previous era success as we know.

Yes those folks in eras made mistakes. Verne should have pushed Hogan and not screwed up there. Bischoff let his ego run insane and was signing people to not even work in WCW as we saw with over 240+ talents on contracts , Dixie screwed up going live with TNA and should have stuck to the 2006-2009 plan Jarrett had with few live dates and staying at Impact Zone and so forth.

But the business and those involved did make money. Dixie made some awhile even , and not a fortune a lot we have to thank her for today. Because the industry from 2002-2016 was not a healthy one as we saw. Wrestling was DOA awhile yet her and ROH stuck around. New Talent got pushed on TV and all.

Bischoff made a shit ton of money. Sure he killed WCW in the end. He may have been able to save it had he bought it. Who knows...but the man made $$$. The NWO from 1996-1998 was a license to print cash and WCW itself was worth a lot of money then before the bottom fell out.

So yes...mock those eras. But we relieve them almost every decade it seems in some form.

Astonishing Member

Yeah he will pin some guys like Darby or Sting on Dynamite.