Page 217 of 902 FirstFirst ... 117167207213214215216217218219220221227267317717 ... LastLast
Results 3,241 to 3,255 of 13529

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Right. I'm not against all random matches. I'm not for all non-random matches. I think it's about a good balance. And AEW does have its own balance of both. I don't know, sometimes maybe I just feel like AEW relies on random too much, but I could be wrong or I could be just kneejerking frustration on the booking of certain wrestlers.

As much as I haven't watched WWE regularly in years and don't know much how they book matches now, I just hope AEW doesn't look at 1984-2000s WWF/E booking practices and deliberately ignore all them too much (as a matter of degree) just because they're current rivals to VKM. Same with WCW booking practices. AEW will thrive best if it continues to be itself (whatever that exactly means), but also always consider what worked about WWE and WCW and what didn't. AEW shouldn't settle with its status quo or assume other promotions did in the past can't continue to help or inform AEW now. And AEW to its credit does indeed harken back to certain things WWF and WCW did (that WWE doesn't do anymore), so I'm not saying AEW doesn't hasn't learned from WWF/WCW booking. I don't want to come off as too harsh to how AEW is doing booking-wise, they're doing some great stuff.

I think sometimes I just wonder a little if Khan works too hard to be different from WWE and WCW and risks missing out on taking all that fans like about WWE/WCW and outdoing them even more. AEW is winning big in the in-ring action, not always in the entertainment dept (thankfully WWE isn't really winning there much either).
    Something like a series of matches with certain opponents should feel special whereas with current WWE it is the norm.

For example, Benoit and Booker T had a best of seven that culminated in a shot at the WCW TV title. It was not the norm for WCW. AEW has done the Labors of Jericho to get him a rematch with MJF which was a fresh spin on that concept. You also have had people running through Dark Order to get to Page or the Elite to get to Omega.

In the later examples, I think that might help with the randomness because when you feud with the "leader" of a faction, you get the stable hands before the big hoss. Lets everyone have the shine. That's a very WWF/WCW/NWA thing (the Horseman, Freebirds, the Flock, the Nation, DX, Ministry, Heenan Family, Dungeon of Doom, etc.) to feed a faction to a star.

Do you watch Dark or Elevation? They tend to be very random at times. I can get behind that critique. While not perfect, I wish AEW would develop some more under card feuds. Not just Mid and upper, which to be fair, is 100% better than WWE who really only tell Main Event stories anymore.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 12-03-2021 at 12:31 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member

ring of honor saturday night 12 04 2021
    mandy leon vs willow in a #1 contenders match for https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ROH_Wo...d_Championship
    at final battle 2021 my first live ppv
    the champ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rok-C at the commentary table oh ****
    chris dickinson vs taylor rust from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHcmC9sNi70 is showcased
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandido_(wrestler) with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rey_Horus https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PJ_Black with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flip_Gordon
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Do you watch Dark or Elevation? They tend to be very random at times. I can get behind that critique. While not perfect, I wish AEW would develop some more under card feuds. Not just Mid and upper, which to be fair, is 100% better than WWE who really only tell Main Event stories anymore.
    i do (i know you didnt ask me) and i agree
    Last edited by steve2275; 12-05-2021 at 01:46 AM.
    RIP MARVEL HEROES 04.06.2013 - 27.11.2017
    Transformers TCG player

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Astonishing Member

Bobby Lashley destroys the WWE champ and the two top contenders during a commercial break after the opening segment on raw and isn't mentioned again and it's 930 and the main event Women's title match hasn't happened yet. Is this a Vince pulling the plug on a storyline or a last second rewrite? Oh wait they did just bring it back up. Looks like the title match on January 1st will be a fourway. I got the feeling Vince enjoyed the All Mighty Era, but needed the title change for Survivor Series.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Well this may have not been posted as its a few days old. But the WWE is gonna stop releasing DVD's and blurays soon. The company instead will focus more on original content on Peacock as this details. But this is really an end of an era...from 1985 to 2021 the company always seemed to put out home video releases and more. Now that is ending it seems at the end of 2021.

https://comicbook.com/wwe/news/wwe-w...kRbVy8EPRpfkLs
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Is there any sort of focus to this thread or is it just anything wrestling related in a sort of free-for-all, regardless of era?

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Is there any sort of focus to this thread or is it just anything wrestling related in a sort of free-for-all, regardless of era?
    It's a free for all

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    It's a free for all
    Are we more a Battle Royal or a Bunkhouse Stampede thread??
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Well this may have not been posted as its a few days old. But the WWE is gonna stop releasing DVD's and blurays soon. The company instead will focus more on original content on Peacock as this details. But this is really an end of an era...from 1985 to 2021 the company always seemed to put out home video releases and more. Now that is ending it seems at the end of 2021.

https://comicbook.com/wwe/news/wwe-w...kRbVy8EPRpfkLs
    I'm a pro-physical media guy and this very tragic. We'll see if they can get away with it. I don't watch WWE now, but this move by them makes it even less likely they can win me back.

And AEW needs to step up its DVDs releases I think with Best Ofs and the like (I hope their possible streaming plans don't include ending their DVDs). Many old time wrestling fans (one of which is me, and I'm only in my 30s) still love and fervently collect wrestling DVDs.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 12-07-2021 at 11:15 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Sadly, you have no idea if this is a work or not (or whether leaving NXT means leaving WWE (or just migrating over to Smackdown)). I scoured the news just now and no one really knows what Gargano will do yet.

He could: a) be secretly resigned with WWE already (far-fetched perhaps but not impossible), b) let his contract expire, (possibly take time off), then ultimately decide to resign with WWE, or c) go to another promotion
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 12-07-2021 at 01:10 PM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Astonishing Member

I think we all were waiting to see if he ate the pin on Sunday and if he did he was definitely out the door. But he didn't so it's more intrigue.

If I had to guess, I would say Kyle is gone, Gargano is taking time off until his wife gives birth and then will re-sign (if he didn't re-sign in secret already)

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Are we more a Battle Royal or a Bunkhouse Stampede thread??
    Assuming there are no shots below the belt, probably a battle Royal.

Astonishing Member

both look great
    https://twitter.com/TheBethPhoenix/s...41530281979906 thank you beth phoenix
    Last edited by steve2275; 12-07-2021 at 06:29 PM.
    RIP MARVEL HEROES 04.06.2013 - 27.11.2017
    Transformers TCG player

Danielson on why WWE let go of talent (the Bleacher writer seems to agree with his take):
    Danielson: "For WWE, I think there was an overreaction when AEW started. Even when Ring of Honor got real hot with Cody [Rhodes] and the Young Bucks, WWE felt they needed to sign up all the talent. They realized, 'our business is fine.' AEW is catching up. They've done incredible for a company that has been around for less than three years. WWE is still making a billion dollars, so they don't need to hoard all these talents."

It did seem at one time as if WWE was hoarding talent to prevent other wrestling promotions from getting them, and that continued when AEW officially launched in 2019.

Somewhere along the way, WWE was no longer concerned with that, which has led to many releases and many performers signing with AEW.
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...jf-on-edge-miz

And I think Bischoff and I share similar opinions on why AEW could do even better overall, pull more fans in:
    “I would really like to see a more structured formula [from AEW] because I’m seeing a lot of the same flaws in AEW’s approach to what is referred to as storytelling that isn’t, in terms of its structure and discipline. The bad thing about that is it’s leaving money on the table. You’re running through matches, but you’re not throwing any story up on the wall that’s sticking in a way that’s growing the audience. That’s the hard part. How do you grow the audience? Now how do you satisfy an existing audience? That’s called preaching to the choir. You want to expand the congregation and attract people that are otherwise not attracted to you, and the only way to do that is with great stories and great characters.”
    https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/20...f-wwe-and-aew/
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 12-08-2021 at 11:43 AM.

Astonishing Member

And I think Bischoff and I share similar opinions on why AEW could do even better overall, pull more fans in:

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/20...f-wwe-and-aew/[/QUOTE]

How do yo do it and not turn into WWE-lite? That's what happens to every promotion when they try to become mainstream. Which also results in a slippage of the die hard audience they lost in the first place...