Page 39 of 902 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989139539 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The WCW comparison makes even less sense. The veterans isn't running the company and burying all the young talent to maintain their spots. Fans need to stop seeing things that ain't there.
    Is it really all that laughable? It may not be exactly like WCW but you can't say there aren't parallels, why was Sting the one to get the pin in him and Darby's tag team match? Why were Team Tazz booked to run away from 61 year old Sting multiple times? Why have 67 year old Tully Blanchard pin big monster babyface Luchasaurus? FTR have joined MJF's Pinnacle stable so I assume they're done with Jungle Express meaning they won't be able to get revenge on FTR and Tully and get their win back. Christian, whether he beats Omega or not gets to waltz into the company and instantly get into the world title picture.

How many young talent are really being elevated? Most of the tippy top stars in the company are 35 and up and have been wrestling for over a decade. I feel like MJF, Hangman and Darby are really the only young stars who've been elevated since the company has formed. Kenny Omega is 37 going on 38, Cody 35 going on 36, same for Matt Jackson and Moxley. In MJF's stable, Dax Harwood is 36 and Shawn Spears is 40. Lance Archer's 44, Jericho's 50, Christian's 47, Paul Wight's 49, Sting's gonna be 62 this year. Most of their top stars are on the older side.

Even their biggest cheerleader/lapdog Meltzer has said in the Observer they have to be careful signing too many older wrestlers because they can get into TNA territory.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Would you rather it be moose?
    idk, maybe. i think swann is a better wrestler than moose but at least moose would have the size advantage. it's just hard to buy into swan as a world champion for me.

Quote Originally Posted by marshal88 View Post
    maybe not dixie but even earlier , ted turner. darby is 'supposed to' but has he. even booker t has voiced that concern.

by "supposed to" i mean in the future, so far though darby has certainly gotten a rub from sting.

booker t........yeah ok.

Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    Is it really all that laughable? It may not be exactly like WCW but you can't say there aren't parallels, why was Sting the one to get the pin in him and Darby's tag team match? Why were Team Tazz booked to run away from 61 year old Sting multiple times? Why have 67 year old Tully Blanchard pin big monster babyface Luchasaurus? FTR have joined MJF's Pinnacle stable so I assume they're done with Jungle Express meaning they won't be able to get revenge on FTR and Tully and get their win back. Christian, whether he beats Omega or not gets to waltz into the company and instantly get into the world title picture.

How many young talent are really being elevated? Most of the tippy top stars in the company are 35 and up and have been wrestling for over a decade. I feel like MJF, Hangman and Darby are really the only young stars who've been elevated since the company has formed. Kenny Omega is 37 going on 38, Cody 35 going on 36, same for Matt Jackson and Moxley. In MJF's stable, Dax Harwood is 36 and Shawn Spears is 40. Lance Archer's 44, Jericho's 50, Christian's 47, Paul Wight's 49, Sting's gonna be 62 this year. Most of their top stars are on the older side.

Even their biggest cheerleader/lapdog Meltzer has said in the Observer they have to be careful signing too many older wrestlers because they can get into TNA territory.
    so why are we listening to DA MELTZ now??

i'm not bothered by the wcw comparison. aew does remind me of wcw at their best but with better main events. the dixie carter comparison however is laughable at this point in time.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    idk, maybe. i think swann is a better wrestler than moose but at least moose would have the size advantage. it's just hard to buy into swan as a world champion for me.

by "supposed to" i mean in the future, so far though darby has certainly gotten a rub from sting.

booker t........yeah ok.

so why are we listening to DA MELTZ now??

i'm not bothered by the wcw comparison. aew does remind me of wcw at their best but with better main events. the dixie carter comparison however is laughable at this point in time.
    Because if even he has a problem with how many older wrestlers they've hired, you know there's a problem. And you seem to like EVERYTHING AEW does so of course you don't see any issue with it, you can't even give a legit reason for why Sting got the pin instead of Darby in their tag match. If he's getting the rub he should've been the one to pin Ricky Starks not the 61 year old.

Randy Orton was right, Tony Khan is Jacksonville Dixie, he's even starting to become an onscreen character despite saying he wouldn't when AEW 1st started. And my God is he a bad promo, someone needs to tell him this onscreen character business ain't it.

Because if even he has a problem with how many older wrestlers they've hired, you know there's a problem. And you seem to like EVERYTHING AEW does so of course you don't see any issue with it, you can't even give a legit reason for why Sting got the pin instead of Darby in their tag match. If he's getting the rub he should've been the one to pin Ricky Starks not the 61 year old.
    i CAN, but i really didn't care to. i didn't even like that match nor have i ever been a big fan of sting but the guy hadn't won a match since 2015 so i can see why they might throw him a win.

Randy Orton was right, Tony Khan is Jacksonville Dixie, he's even starting to become an onscreen character despite saying he wouldn't when AEW 1st started. And my God is he a bad promo, someone needs to tell him this onscreen character business ain't it.
    LOL. keep going with that, it's going to catch on one day.

i CAN, but i really didn't care to. i didn't even like that match nor have i ever been a big fan of sting but the guy hadn't won a match since 2015 so i can see why they might throw him a win.

LOL. keep going with that, it's going to catch on one day.
    I don't know man, I think it'll catch on better than that corny ass Oldberg nickname everyone here found so hilarious. 61 year old Sting not winning a match since 2015 shouldn't mean he gets to come in and pin one of AEW's up and coming stars but hey Tony Khan can do no wrong and has a prestigious Wrestling Observer Newsletter Booker of the Year TM award to prove it so who am I to question his genius?

I don't know man, I think it'll catch on better than that corny ass Oldberg nickname everyone here found so hilarious.
    i doubt it, but i wish you the best of luck.

61 year old Sting not winning a match since 2015 shouldn't mean he gets to come in and pin one of AEW's up and coming stars but hey Tony Khan can do no wrong and has a prestigious Wrestling Observer Newsletter Booker of the Year TM award to prove it so who am I to question his genius?
    idk about the "can do no wrong" part but you make a good point, i mean what have you ever booked, a hotel room, rental car??

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Because they are no parallels. The fact of the matter is AEW needs those old guys. Not for the star power but to teach their young guys how to perform for a national TV audience every week. When AEW started only the ex WWE guys had any experience at the level AEW wanted to perform at. Most of them don't know the grind of working weekly TV and working medium to large arenas. In a lot of interviews Tony Khan and Young Bucks would always talk about how working Dynamite is learning process for them. Honestly, bring in guys who have that experience and help mold talent to make that translation must be a massive load off their shoulders.

I would even said that Christian waltzing in and getting into the world title is good for the short term considering that Kenny doesn't have anybody that can challenge him for the title at the moment other than Moxley. After the deathmatch he needs to move on to a new challenger.

Extraordinary Member

I think the truth of the matter is that a) everyone understands what the risks of pulling in and featuring old guys are from WCW and TNA (and even WWE to some extent), but at the same time, b) everyone understands what the ideal benefits of bringing them in and featuring them are.

What we’re really doing now is waiting to see if this pays off or hurts them in the long run - of Allen actually gets “the rub” in a reliable way when all is said and done or gets shafted by a bunch of losses to old guys, if the roster and ratings both benefit from veterans getting to buff the ratings but prepare the rest of the crew to carry it even further forward or just suck out the air and leave.

MJF seems to show the most promise that they’ll actually follow through on building the young guys up - his faction is older, but he isn’t, and he’s someone they’re clearly grooming to be the main heel eventually.

But onyl time will tell.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Astonishing Member

Britt vs. Rosa might actually be the best AEW match of the year...

the ladies really brought it in the main event of aew tonight, that was fukn awesome. i guess i can finally see in brit baker what they saw from the start and thunder rosa is great as well. say what you want about aew's women division but that was an xtremely well booked and worked fued and it deserved to main event despite no titles being involved. ppv worthy stuff there.

Extraordinary Member

Actually caught the AEW show tonight. Moxley is damn good but gotta say the ladies stole the show. I knew Thunderosa would be a star when I saw her years back on youtube. What a crazy match and she protected Brit through all those high risk moves a real pro.

the ladies really brought it in the main event of aew tonight, that was fukn awesome. i guess i can finally see in brit baker what they saw from the start and thunder rosa is great as well. say what you want about aew's women division but that was an xtremely well booked and worked fued and it deserved to main event despite no titles being involved. ppv worthy stuff there.
    Rosa carried her though.

"Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member

whooooo boy
    RIP MARVEL HEROES 04.06.2013 - 27.11.2017
    Transformers TCG player

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Actually caught the AEW show tonight. Moxley is damn good but gotta say the ladies stole the show. I knew Thunderosa would be a star when I saw her years back on youtube. What a crazy match and she protected Brit through all those high risk moves a real pro.
    you've got quite an eye. i was never much impressed by her in lucha underground but she's been great in aew. i heard she was good in the nwa but i couldn't stomach that show after a few episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Rosa carried her though.

aj is no brit baked dmd.

glad to see brian cage breaking with team taz, that was never a good fit imo. hopefully he can have a good program against ricky & will. also glad mjf group is not called the horsemen, though not crazy about the name "pinnacle". actually not crazy about that group in general.
    Last edited by BigLbo; 03-17-2021 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Because they are no parallels. The fact of the matter is AEW needs those old guys. Not for the star power but to teach their young guys how to perform for a national TV audience every week. When AEW started only the ex WWE guys had any experience at the level AEW wanted to perform at. Most of them don't know the grind of working weekly TV and working medium to large arenas. In a lot of interviews Tony Khan and Young Bucks would always talk about how working Dynamite is learning process for them. Honestly, bring in guys who have that experience and help mold talent to make that translation must be a massive load off their shoulders.

I would even said that Christian waltzing in and getting into the world title is good for the short term considering that Kenny doesn't have anybody that can challenge him for the title at the moment other than Moxley. After the deathmatch he needs to move on to a new challenger.
    That's the thing though, the older talent don't need to be front and center on TV. Some of the veterans they have working for them like Jerry Lynn and Dean Malenko help behind the scenes but pretty much all of the others are heavily featured on Dynamite every week. You're telling me Sting can't help out the young talent off screen like Jerry and Dean do? He doesn't have to have weekly promo segments or ever wrestle again especially considering both his age and health.

Tully and Arn are also both in their 60s but are on TV all the time and get involved in matches or flat out wrestle, and pin young talent, in Tully's case. It seems like they do feel they need the star power of the older guys or they wouldn't use the big name one's on TV so often while keeping the lesser known one's off it.