Page 4 of 902 FirstFirst 123456781454104504 ... LastLast

Btw I love how 54 year old Goldberg is mockingly called Oldberg but 61 year old Sting having Team Taz retreat in fear of him every week is somehow acceptable to most smark fans. And before anyone says it's totally different because AEW would have Sting put over younger talent, he hasn't had a match yet, so how do you know that for sure? People assume Sting won't be like the part timers in WWE beating younger talent but until he actually has a match we don't know.

AEW just had Snoop Dogg beat up Serpentico on Dynamite, and yeah, you can say he's just a lowly jobber but he's still wrestler. And he was considered good enough to take part in Jericho's big 30th anniversary tag team match with Luther. So if AEW are fine with letting a non wrestler like Snoop beat up one of their talent, you don't think they'd have Sting do the same thing?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    Btw I love how 54 year old Goldberg is mockingly called Oldberg but 61 year old Sting having Team Taz retreat in fear of him every week is somehow acceptable to most smark fans. And before anyone says it's totally different because AEW would have Sting put over younger talent, he hasn't had a match yet, so how do you know that for sure? People assume Sting won't be like the part timers in WWE beating younger talent but until he actually has a match we don't know.

AEW just had Snoop Dogg beat up Serpentico on Dynamite, and yeah, you can say he's just a lowly jobber but he's still wrestler. And he was considered good enough to take part in Jericho's big 30th anniversary tag team match with Luther. So if AEW are fine with letting a non wrestler like Snoop beat up one of their talent, you don't think they'd have Sting do the same thing?
    Shitty programming is shitty programming no matter where it is, be it WWE, AEW or NJPW.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Shitty programming is shitty programming no matter where it is, be it WWE, AEW or NJPW.
    Not really, people bitch to no end about "Oldberg" but were cool with a 48 year old, super out of shape Chris Jericho beating a 28 year old Adam Page to become AEW's 1st ever World Champion. And like I said no one says a word about recently had to retire because of a broken neck, 61 year old Sting running off Team Taz. Just imagine the reaction if WWE booked the Hurt Business to cower away from Goldberg on a weekly basis.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Sting seemingly is there to get Darby Alin over as a big franchise star. Someone brought up how Dusty who was nearing the end of his career looked at Sting and they are doing a homage to that in a way. (Sting and Dusty would team up later...but as Sting detailed in this promo , Dusty was big into creating him)

"The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Sting isn't wrestling. He's there to make a star out of Darby Allen.

when you don't **** on your fans for years upon years you earn what's called the "benefit of the doubt" or "good faith"

if i remember right it was cody and friends who beat up serpentico not snoop, snoop just did the worst frog splash ever afterwards.

A for effort though, it was in that sweet spot right between the old college try and trying too hard.

Not really, people bitch to no end about "Oldberg" but were cool with a 48 year old, super out of shape Chris Jericho beating a 28 year old Adam Page to become AEW's 1st ever World Champion. And like I said no one says a word about recently had to retire because of a broken neck, 61 year old Sting running off Team Taz. Just imagine the reaction if WWE booked the Hurt Business to cower away from Goldberg on a weekly basis.
    by super out of shape you mean his body looked like ****?? because jericho is an assclown for sure but the guy has proven to be in ring shape for sure.

this is the tyler bateman(now in RoH) i mention in a previous post

Mighty Member

Default Smackdown 01082021

Smackdown (01082021)

This was a mostly good episode.

The opening with Reigns etal was well executed,mired only by a video package that included gratuitous cinematics from last week. The always entertaining perils of Adam Pierce is promised.

Langston/Apollo is likely to be under appreciated. Well done match that told a story. The false-finish (a double pin) would have worked better without the commercial break. But, it was still the sort of thing that required people who could understand and physically carry off a move set.

The tag match felt obligatory. Not sure where WWE is going with the title change. But, it was not offensively bad.

Speaking of offensively bad, Carmella showed up to tell us that she is untouchable, and demonstrated that she is still unwatchable. Bayley is still a delightfully awful human being,and I want to see Bianca give her a sound thrashing.

At this point, WWE needs to show us Billy Kay's resume'. Seriously, I wanna read that thing. (Joking aside, for all of the screen time she gets, Billie Kay has not done much wrestling lately. Is she just a manager now?)

The Gauntlet match delivered a series of mini-matches where a half-dozen wrestlers showed a signature move. (Shades of Jesse Ventura with Sami Zayn's camera crew.)
    Adam Pierce won the match, at cost in having to face Roman Reigns in "poor bastard gets clobbered match".

-late edit: Jey Uso's reactions and expressions while Roman threatened Adam Pierce were excellent.

Given how reliant WWE is on explication and dialogue (talking), I am not sure it is a good idea to make Adam Pierce a wrestler,when he can more logically talk as the adminstrator of the inmate-run asylum. But, his misery has been a sub-plot for a while, and this latest twist fits with that.
    Last edited by CentralPower; 01-09-2021 at 02:51 PM.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

That 48 year old Jericho was wrestling regularly before he won that title and had recently had multiple good matches with top talent in NJPW. Big difference between that and Goldberg showing up twice a year and working less than 5 minutes total.

Sting has also earned the benefit of the doubt by regularly putting over younger talent in his runs with TNA, WWE and the later years of WCW.i
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    Smackdown (01082021)

The tag match felt obligatory. Not sure where WWE is going with the title change. But, it was not offensively bad.
    I'm thinking Montez Ford is legit injured, and that's why they moved the belts to Roode and Ziggler. I guess we'll find out if the Street Profits aren't on TV for awhile.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    That 48 year old Jericho was wrestling regularly before he won that title and had recently had multiple good matches with top talent in NJPW. Big difference between that and Goldberg showing up twice a year and working less than 5 minutes total.
    Takes Goldberg longer to walk to the ting than actually wrestle.

Astonishing Member

I would say Goldberg was fine--until he squashed Fiend for the title, that's when everyone turned on him.

It feels like Hogan and Flair were winning matches against younger stars well into their 50's if not longer.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    It feels like Hogan and Flair were winning matches against younger stars well into their 50's if not longer.
    Yeah, and it was a problem then as well. One of the many reasons WCW went under. People were turning to WWE pushing newer stars like Rock and Austin instead of watching Hogan and Piper main eventing PPVs.

A massive number of people switching the channel to see Mankind win the title over Nash laying down for Hogan to give him the belt (after he just beat, ironically enough, Goldberg) was very much a thing.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Difference is sting isn't in the world title pic and can still wrestl at lest last time I saw he could? And he ist being forced like GB I don't have a problem with older wrestlers but what they keep doing with GB is silly come on they put him over the fiend!
    Last edited by choptop; 01-09-2021 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Yeah, and it was a problem then as well. One of the many reasons WCW went under. People were turning to WWE pushing newer stars like Rock and Austin instead of watching Hogan and Piper main eventing PPVs.

A massive number of people switching the channel to see Mankind win the title over Nash laying down for Hogan to give him the belt (after he just beat, ironically enough, Goldberg) was very much a thing.
    Hogan/Piper's last match was in 1997 , now yeah the matches were terrible. Both men were in their 40's and Roddy Piper had a bad hip. The PPV's did huge of course and the final one was so damn terrible people joked about how bad it was in that cage. (Age in the Cage).

What killed WCW was as you said , they made Goldberg lose too soon. As Bobby Heenan said they killed the golden goose as he still had time and was a draw to watch. Goldberg should have rolled a lot longer til WCW built up an unstoppable heel monster to combat him. (Wraith seemingly was being built up for weeks and Nash killed him)
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Speaking of Nash beating Goldberg in 1998 (he'd lose the belt in January 1999 as we know). Anyhow on Konnan and Disco Inferno's podcast they discussed this one.

- Disco brought up that WCW completely killed NWO Wolfpac. That the Wolfpac was INSANELY OVER. He brought up how over the group was with Nash , Luger , Sting , and Konnan. A fact Konnan backed up that the group was really over and the NWO Red stuff sold very well.

- In the podcast Disco brought up how him and Alex Wright were supposed to be faces in a tag match comically. And the Wolfpac was supposed to be the heels in match. So the crowd totally POPS for every heel act Sting or Luger was doing to them outside the ring. How the crowd didn't care because they loved the Wolfpac and Disco just went with it , selling etc. That people loved that and the crowd was super hot on shows for the Wolfpac.

- Behind the scenes though some weren't happy as the Wolfpac had over taken the Black/White group in popularity. Because all the cool guys was in Wolfpac and fans went to that. So WCW instead of making the red group the main one...decided to sabotage it more or less.

- There was a match where Luger came out alone against the Black/White group and was beaten down . With the Wolfpac not coming to his aid. A fact Disco said he'd be backstage going "This totally punks the Wolfpac. Why would people care about the group if this is being done ?" And it basically cooled people off the group and they decided to merge both groups together with the idea to reboot the concept which failed overall.