Page 693 of 902 FirstFirst ... 193593643683689690691692693694695696697703743793 ... LastLast
Results 10,381 to 10,395 of 13529
    Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Didn't catch this Dark Side ep on Bash 2000, but it's interesting the reporting on it. It seems we may never know what really happened. A 411 reporter and this Whatculture piece took issue with Jeff Jarrett and his perspective.

Jeff Jarrett was one of Russo's boys back in 2000, so it's understandable that he'd side with the writer over a top legacy star like Hulk Hogan. However, it's what Jeff says about Hulk that stands out as totally hypocritical and shows a real lack of self-awareness about how he was once viewed too.

Jarrett buried Hulk for what happened on WCW's pay-per-view, and calls him out for being both egotistical and self-centred. At one point, Jeff then adds that Hogan was only ever really about looking out for himself. Well, erm...Hulk went to the WWF a few years after this to do the honours in major matches for The Rock, Brock Lesnar and others.

Meanwhile, Jeff founded TNA and crowned himself World Champ, so this is quite the shaky argument. It might've flown at the time in 2000, but not now after everything Jarrett's own career has been through. Surely he understands a little of Hulk's perspective.
    Jarrett takes another shot at Hogan and says everything the business gave him and that’s what he gave back. Oh cry some more! When WCW went out of business Hogan was the one back in WWF putting over The Rock and Brock Lesnar while Jarrett had to create his own promotion so he could be a World Champion again and bury people as badly as what Hogan gets criticized for doing. He continues by saying it was an egotistical, self centered, power play moved that benefited Hulk. Again, dude can’t get over the fact that Hogan didn’t want to do a job for him.
    https://whatculture.com/wwe/10-thing...ch-2000?page=4
    https://411mania.com/wrestling/411s-...he-beach-2000/
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 08-02-2023 at 08:36 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Ultimate Member

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/08/02/feds...twitter%7Cmain

Federal law enforcement agents executed a search warrant on World Wrestling Entertainment
    boss Vince McMahon last month and served him with a federal grand jury subpoena, the company disclosed Wednesday.

The actions represent an escalation of an ongoing investigation into allegations that McMahon paid millions of dollars over the years to women after being accused of sexual misconduct.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Didn't catch this Dark Side ep on Bash 2000, but it's interesting the reporting on it. It seems we may never know what really happened. A 411 reporter and this Whatculture piece took issue with Jeff Jarrett and his perspective.

https://whatculture.com/wwe/10-thing...ch-2000?page=4
    https://411mania.com/wrestling/411s-...he-beach-2000/

Talk about a stupid comparison this writer did. Lets examine this....

-

- Its been explained TNA was set up as a territory system in a sense after the money issues took place that summer. In fact the original booking ideas seemed to center on Ken Shamrock being the #1 guy and once he left for UFC again , this went to Ron Killens and it was too soon for him. The company itself went into some money issues and then came a realization....TNA didn't have any real top stars to carry the NWA World title or anything. Plus the NWA still had to ok title changes. Once the company got better on money , got more talent and more....what happened to Jarrett after they dropped the NWA titles ? He went backstage more or less and beyond programs with Angle he never was at the top after it.

In fact the 411Mania writer does this piece at the end to show he approached this with a bias over Hogan and he couldn't accept that Hulk Hogan isn't a good guy.

This was everything I wanted it to be. We only had 5 talking heads I believe with Russo, Bischoff, Jarrett, Storm, and Dave, and that’s all we needed. I mean, Hogan would have been great, but we all know that wasn’t happening. I didn’t think coming into this that Jarrett would come off the worst, but I grew up on Hogan so perhaps his Hogan bashing just annoyed me. Jarrett complaining about someone else having an ego and not wanting to do business is something else man

Its insane these guys wrote these , watched the same thing and actually saw how NWA-TNA was built then and then saw how it played out...and go.....ooh Jarrett made himself top star. He was an egomaniac etc. Well....thats not the case at all with how TNA was built then and how it had to survive til it got more talent and money.

And the 1st writer admits his bias....I grew up on Hulk Hogan....so I can ignore the episode and even Bischoff admitting they wanted what was best for him etc. I grew up on Hulk Hogan myself and was a Hulkamaniac too. But even I knew he tried to f-ck that company then and there with Bischoff's help.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

The Whatculture guy even does a more stupid short reasoning....well Hulk went to WWE and put over guys. Well....he did to a point sure. And he got paid. But if this guy went deeper he'd know a few more reasons.

- By 2003 there was NO COMPANIES LEFT that Hogan could work for on a big pay day level. TNA he screwed over the 1st time , he tried creating the XWF to make himself a top star and left it high and dry once the WWE came calling (weirdly the WhatCulture guy ignores that one bashing Jarrett for his own company created lol) . Hulk realizing there was no other companies that could pay huge then....signed with WWE as we saw.

- Hulk was given HUGE money to work with Rock , Angle and Brock Lesnar to put them over. Hogan got a big Wrestlemania pay day to do that job to Rock. He worked awhile til he ticked off Vince McMahon that 1st time because after putting Brock Lesnar over once ...he refused to do it at a PPV later as one of his title defenses .

https://www.sportskeeda.com/wwe/news...teran-confirms

So Hulk Hogan went to WWE to make huge money as we saw. He was ok with losing a little...but he also was always thinking of himself here as Prichard discusses.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    So Hulk Hogan went to WWE to make huge money as we saw. He was ok with losing a little...but he also was always thinking of himself here as Prichard discusses.
    I think all top stars in wrestling think of themselves a lot. But, no matter what I think or not think of Jarrett, I do think Hogan's big problem in life is kinda seemingly living too much in the territories-mindset past and not seeing that WCW and WWE and TNA didn't need or desire to build him up much anymore, they needed him more to build up others. Hogan never seemed to fully understand or accept that. Some of Hogan's best and most memorable matches in returning to WWE (and prior in WCW) were matches he lost, where he put guys over.

In short, I think working and struggling up the territories kinda messed with Hulk's mind, made him territorial and overly protective.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 08-02-2023 at 10:59 AM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I think all top stars in wrestling think of themselves a lot. But, no matter what I think or not think of Jarrett, I do think Hogan's big problem in life is kinda seemingly living too much in the territories-mindset past and not seeing that WCW and WWE and TNA didn't need or desire to build him up much anymore, they needed him more to build up others. Hogan never seemed to fully understand or accept that. Some of Hogan's best and most memorable matches in returning to WWE (and prior in WCW) were matches he lost, where he put guys over.

In short, I think working and struggling up the territories kinda messed with Hulk's mind, made him territorial and overly protective.

That is likely a factor really. Those who have grown up in the territory system days have a very "set" mindset as you posted. Steve Austin was the same way. Austin came from USWA and once he hit huge with Stone Cold he had the same type aspects. He didn't want his character to look weak , wanted to be booked a certain way and would use this in his run as we saw.

- He refused to work against Hogan at Wrestlemania 18 (before Rock , Austin was pitched the match) and cited how he felt Hogan worked too slow for him to do it. Austin years later admitted he was wrong a lot on this and should have done the match then when both could have.

- He walked out over Brock Lesnar situation , which I agree with but shows that old school mind set too. Over losing a match free to Lesnar without PPV build to him.

A lot of the old guys have that. What really irks me is that these writers saw what we all did and decided since Hogan was talked about , they put rose colored glasses on to ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    That is likely a factor really. Those who have grown up in the territory system days have a very "set" mindset as you posted. Steve Austin was the same way. Austin came from USWA and once he hit huge with Stone Cold he had the same type aspects. He didn't want his character to look weak , wanted to be booked a certain way and would use this in his run as we saw.
    Perfect of you to bring up Austin, because yeah, that's so true about Austin. It's almost ironic or hypocritical. Austin railed (in ECW) against Hogan's protectiveness/protectedness and being held down by Dusty and Eric and everyone, but the moment Austin became the top star, he then got similarly protective of his turf, his character.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 08-02-2023 at 11:30 AM.

Perfect of you to bring up Austin, because yeah, that's so true about Austin. It's almost ironic or hypocritical. Austin railed (in ECW) against Hogan's protectiveness/protectedness and being held down by Dusty and Eric and everyone, but the moment Austin became the top star, he then got similarly protective of his turf, his character.

Every top star does this though it seems. Its not just the old territory guys. You had HHH , Chris Jericho , John Cena , and even....Undertaker. The guys all have done things like refusing to work with certain guys , going over certain guys , wanting to book themselves to look not weak at all etc etc. Part of it is the money they make and not wanting to ruin what they have going on.

AEW beat WWE's record of ticket sales at Wembley this week with 84k. In 1992, WWF/E sold 79k tickets.

They're approaching the all-time Wembley record of 89K.

Many don't think they'll get that record.

It's close to the largest UK wrestling event record, WWE at 86K.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    AEW beat WWE's record of ticket sales at Wembley this week with 84k. In 1992, WWF/E sold 79k tickets.
    That's cool. Made all the more interesting in that I don't think a single All In match has been announced yet. The UK is interested even if there's no card yet it seems. No card, no problem I guess.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 08-02-2023 at 01:01 PM.

That's cool. Made all the more interesting in that I don't think a single All In match has been announced yet. The UK is interested even if there's no card yet it seems. No card, no problem I guess.
    UK has been starved for big wrestling events.

NJPW was about to do a show there, now seems more likely since Forbidden Door III and WrestleDream have been rumored to go there in 2024 from AEW.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

AEW just announced long term deals for Kenny Omega, Adam Page, and the Bucks.

It is rumored they are 10 year deals and can transition back to EVP/backstage ONLY if they do not appear as in ring talent (on screen is fine).

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I love it when Heyman is out of pocket. Bobby Heenan isn't the goat because he's dead LMAO

https://twitter.com/TheEnemiesPE3/st...00514542518272

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    AEW just announced long term deals for Kenny Omega, Adam Page, and the Bucks.

It is rumored they are 10 year deals and can transition back to EVP/backstage ONLY if they do not appear as in ring talent (on screen is fine).
    The WWE was mildly interested in Omega at last check. So it makes sense for them to stay there.

The Bash at the Beach episode was a waste of an hour of TV time. NO ONE covered themselves in glory here. And since pretty much nothing was said that you couldn't find online, what was the point?

The thing that got me was the contract that gave Hogan control. People were bitching that he exercised the power he was given? If you don't like it, take it up with the people who gave him that clause in the contract.

Bischoff didn't look great for sure but nothing Vince Russo said changed the notion that he's still a gaping asshole who gets pissy when he's told no. Honestly, the guy just seems to hate wrestling. Not just now which I suppose is understandable but he comes off as hating it even back when he was involved in it.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.