Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    PKJ wasn't even remotely kidding when he said Jon couldn't be aged down again because he was tied to so many other books outside of just Superman.
    Something I've always taken umbridge with is, why Jon?

Yara is a completely original character. Jace might as well be a completely original character because Tim Fox, the long forgotten son of the Fox, was a blank piece of paper John Ridley picked up and started filling in. But Jon? He was already his own thing. Now, DC has made him into something he's not. DC has done, or has plans for, so many different radical things with Jon that he might as well be a brand new character, like Naomi. I despise synergy with other multi-media properties, but DC should've just given Lois and Clark a new kid, named him Jordan, and do everything with him that they wanted with aged up Jon and let Jon be the kid everyone loved.

I hate how slowly my love for DC is turning to resentment because they have such a long and deep history to draw from and push, and instead they're making a bunch of new shit that barely has any real, substantive, and tangible connection to the original characters they're meant to be legacies for. Like, finish your old business before you go ahead and start new business.

Make new stuff, by all means, but don't think for a second that Jace supersedes Dick, Yara supersedes Donna, or Jon supersedes Conner. I'm not trying to mean or picky, but DC's bold, new direction is quite simply not for me. I just...I don't know quite how to describe what I'm feeling, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth seeing DC act like they're finally ready to commit to something new when that something new doesn't have enough going for it to carry the DC universe forward on its own. There's plenty of legacies already laying around to carry DC forward, they didn't have to make a bunch of new stuff when the old stuff worked just fine.

I got off on a tangent, I don't know why I singled out that one line from Superlad.
    Last edited by garazza; 06-18-2021 at 06:19 PM.