Page 31 of 91 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334354181 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    PKJ wasn't even remotely kidding when he said Jon couldn't be aged down again because he was tied to so many other books outside of just Superman.
    Something I've always taken umbridge with is, why Jon?

Yara is a completely original character. Jace might as well be a completely original character because Tim Fox, the long forgotten son of the Fox, was a blank piece of paper John Ridley picked up and started filling in. But Jon? He was already his own thing. Now, DC has made him into something he's not. DC has done, or has plans for, so many different radical things with Jon that he might as well be a brand new character, like Naomi. I despise synergy with other multi-media properties, but DC should've just given Lois and Clark a new kid, named him Jordan, and do everything with him that they wanted with aged up Jon and let Jon be the kid everyone loved.

I hate how slowly my love for DC is turning to resentment because they have such a long and deep history to draw from and push, and instead they're making a bunch of new **** that barely has any real, substantive, and tangible connection to the original characters they're meant to be legacies for. Like, finish your old business before you go ahead and start new business.

Make new stuff, by all means, but don't think for a second that Jace supersedes Dick, Yara supersedes Donna, or Jon supersedes Conner. I'm not trying to mean or picky, but DC's bold, new direction is quite simply not for me. I just...I don't know quite how to describe what I'm feeling, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth seeing DC act like they're finally ready to commit to something new when that something new doesn't have enough going for it to carry the DC universe forward on its own. There's plenty of legacies already laying around to carry DC forward, they didn't have to make a bunch of new stuff when the old stuff worked just fine.

I got off on a tangent, I don't know why I singled out that one line from Superlad.
    Last edited by garazza; 06-18-2021 at 06:19 PM.

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post
    There's plenty of legacies already laying around to carry DC forward, they didn't have to make a bunch of new stuff when the old stuff worked just fine.
    I don’t mean this as an argument, I just want to present why I think DC created a new gen of characters:

1) More focus on diversity. Using old legacies will give you a predominantly white, straight line-up, which isn’t a change from the OG characters. You can racebend them, but such moves are controversial and less meaningful compared to promoting characters who are already created to be diverse in the first place. Helps synergize appearances across media too. With the exception of Jon, all the members on the Future State Justice League are POC, LGBT+, or both.

2) Creating a new character is easier than rebooting an established one to fit the company’s direction since the latter leads to fan backlash. It wouldn’t make sense to reboot Donna with Brazilian lore, would it? It’s also easier to build a new character from the ground up. Unlike Conner, who’s associated with YJ, TT, has love interests, etc, Jon is still a blank slate to DC. It’s not like he had a mission statement before or any connections outside his parents and Damian.

3) The new characters are conceived specifically to be inheritors of the mantle rather than sidekicks or ancillary characters, so they could stand as their own IP.

Those are my thoughts on it anyway.
    Last edited by oneveryfineday; 06-18-2021 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    PKJ wasn't even remotely kidding when he said Jon couldn't be aged down again because he was tied to so many other books outside of just Superman.
    And God, what a depressing thought that is. Jon replacing Clark in something else, AND it puts him back in Bendis' hands. Not even your aforementioned knack for making things sound better than what they are can make me feel anything but pure dread over the idea of Jon being on the Justice League right now -____-

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    *rage scream reaching global scale*

Ahem. So, when is the next reset? You know, burn it all down, start over again? Its soon, right?
    Yeah at this point I'm more and more in favor of a scorched earth approach. At least for the Superman line. Give 'em a full on Flashpoint moment. Reset 'em back to rebirth and try again cuz this ain't it, chief lol

Hate where Jon's going, indifferent about where Clark is going, not a big fan of where Conner's going (Damn it, Kon. You were supposed to be the Superboy I could fall back on). The only one looking good right now is Kara. And she's in a Tom King book so it might only be a matter of time before he fucks her over too.
    Last edited by Blue22; 06-18-2021 at 07:27 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

i am personally loving where clark going.Back to where he came from.That's the best part for me in this whole ordeal.Superman as tom strong with bunch of radicals to boot.He doesn't fly,he leaps.He kicks ass.Behold the champion....It's way better than the rebirth portrayal of superman.The character was a pa kent.Uninteresting for me.

Besides,I like superman as pulp hero than a superhero with that kinda savior thing going on.
    I am fine with where jon is going provided they don't shove him into the role that clark left behind.Either an "aw!shucks" farmboy "Human" or space jesus Mr."I am so disappointed in you" father...
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

BANNED

I’m sorry...but you are insane if you think that Conner is more popular than Jon

Sorry, but no...hate this direction more than the next guy, but I guarantee that having Jon go through this rather than Conner is a shrewd business decision

The only thing making conner appear more popular is that he appears in tv shows before Jon did...but that could change very quickly as we get more DC shows

I even heard that legion sold more than any Conner solo book and that was cancelled after 12 issues
    Last edited by kryptonian; 06-18-2021 at 08:23 PM.

Poor Damian. In Robin #3, he tells Rose Wilson that he had friends, but they either left him or grew up too fast. The "grew up too fast" part is clearly referring to Jon.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

My. Fucking. HEART!

I can't take all the good and bad news in one day. Am I excited about Gokaiger or sad about Jon and Damian!? XD

BANNED

Tom Taylor is probably going to devote an issue to making them friends again

The kind of fan servicey things he is known for

They never really stopped being friends, to be fair. Hell they hung out just recently in PKJ's run (granted, the conversation they had was dumb as ****. And not really something you'd tell your friend). And I think both Taylor and Williamson already confirmed that they'd be showing up in each other's series. But still...this is depressing. Even Damian knows it's not the same anymore.

Maybe that's why he gave the "Too bad. So sad." answer to Jon's dilemma XD
    Last edited by Blue22; 06-18-2021 at 09:16 PM.

Something I've always taken umbridge with is, why Jon?

Yara is a completely original character. Jace might as well be a completely original character because Tim Fox, the long forgotten son of the Fox, was a blank piece of paper John Ridley picked up and started filling in. But Jon? He was already his own thing. Now, DC has made him into something he's not. DC has done, or has plans for, so many different radical things with Jon that he might as well be a brand new character, like Naomi. I despise synergy with other multi-media properties, but DC should've just given Lois and Clark a new kid, named him Jordan, and do everything with him that they wanted with aged up Jon and let Jon be the kid everyone loved.

I hate how slowly my love for DC is turning to resentment because they have such a long and deep history to draw from and push, and instead they're making a bunch of new **** that barely has any real, substantive, and tangible connection to the original characters they're meant to be legacies for. Like, finish your old business before you go ahead and start new business.

Make new stuff, by all means, but don't think for a second that Jace supersedes Dick, Yara supersedes Donna, or Jon supersedes Conner. I'm not trying to mean or picky, but DC's bold, new direction is quite simply not for me. I just...I don't know quite how to describe what I'm feeling, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth seeing DC act like they're finally ready to commit to something new when that something new doesn't have enough going for it to carry the DC universe forward on its own. There's plenty of legacies already laying around to carry DC forward, they didn't have to make a bunch of new stuff when the old stuff worked just fine.

I got off on a tangent, I don't know why I singled out that one line from Superlad.
    Jon was Clark and Lois's son. Him taking over for his father was inevitable. Ironically Jon is the one Future State replacement that is the easiest pitch.

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    They never really stopped being friends, to be fair. Hell they hung out just recently in PKJ's run (granted, the conversation they had was dumb as ****. And not really something you'd tell your friend). And I think both Taylor and Williamson already confirmed that they'd be showing up in each other's series. But still...this is depressing. Even Damian knows it's not the same anymore.

Maybe that's why he gave the "Too bad. So sad." answer to Jon's dilemma XD
    I think it’s just a case of “gotta pretend that Damian doesn’t have friends so he can learn how to make friends!” they put him through every so often lol

But yeah, ouch. Jon covered your ass, Damian.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonian View Post
    Tom Taylor is probably going to devote an issue to making them friends again

The kind of fan servicey things he is known for
    When that issue invariably happens, that'll be my sign to stop reading DC for a while and just buy indie books and find something at Marvel to get interested in.
    Last edited by garazza; 06-18-2021 at 09:21 PM.

When that issue invariably happens, that'll be my sign to stop reading DC for a while and just buy indie books and find something at Marvel to get interested in.
    Eh. I remember quitting Marvel because of what happened to the X-Men during that whole "Inhumans are the new Mutants" phase. I ended up missing out on some good books that were unrelated to all that. Unless Superman's the only DC thing you read, I wouldn't recommend quitting, cold turkey, over Jon. Just quit the Superman stuff (and Justice League since the poor kid is apparently going back to the man who killed him).

Robin, Wonder Girl, Flash, and Nightwing are all really good (in fact, I'd say this is the best Nightwing's been in a long time). Static's off to an amazing start. Titans Academy is....odd....but worth reading. Even if the fight to save Jon is a losing one, we still got options in the meantime lol
    Last edited by Blue22; 06-18-2021 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post

My. Fucking. HEART!

I can't take all the good and bad news in one day. Am I excited about Gokaiger or sad about Jon and Damian!? XD
    I doubt that Damian is being honest in this panel. I think Damian’s just being sassy with Rose here because she captured him in a net last issue and has now dragged him to a beach party to make a friend when he could honestly care less.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I doubt that Damian is being honest in this panel. I think Damian’s just being sassy with Rose here because she captured him in a net last issue and has now dragged him to a beach party to make a friend when he could honestly care less.
    Oh of course he was mostly being facetious. But him being as specific as he was kinda leads me to believe there's at least some honesty in what he's saying.