Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
Why ? He isn't Kryptonian, he's an Earthling, and a US citizen to be more precise. His ties to Krypton's culture are even weaker than his father's. It wouldn't make a lot of sense for him to have one. He is the Son of Superman and Lois Lane but the only world he knows as a child his Earth, and its cultures.

I know that some peoples want their children to have names from other cultures than the main one in the country they live in, but usually, it's because they have a deep-rooted attachment to their place of birth (or for religious reasons, obviously). But in Clark's case, krypton always felt so remote that it'd be strange that he want to name his only child with a Kryptonian name. Plus, it would have been a secret name since until he revealed his identity, Jon couldn't have been using it anyway.

That's why (Hyppo)Lyta makes sense for the name of a Wonder Woman's daughter - she loves Themyscira and she has deep rooted cultural and familial ties to it. Naming a children after her mother makes sense in that regard.

With Jon, it'd feel cheap, I think.
Just because Krypton is far removed from Clark, I don't think it should just die away because he made earth his real home and so on and so on. I do see value in keeping someone's culture alive, even in something as insignificant (to others) as a name. I'm not advocating that they do away with Jonathan Samuel Kent and changing it to whatever's Kryptonain, just give him a name to go with his El roots. There's nothing wrong in honouring both cultures imo. I want him to have that name even if he never gets to use considering how sporadically they use Kal as it is.