Page 91 of 91 FirstFirst ... 41818788899091
Results 1,351 to 1,363 of 1363

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Bendis’ Legion of Superheroes is getting adapted as an HBO Max show

Goddamn I didn’t expect this lol. It’s specifically an adaption of Bendis Legion too, so we’ll be getting Teen Jon it seems. Cool!
    It sucked though Why!

Oh god I'm gonna have to relive Jon & that basic broad all over again.....

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    "A lot of them have come around to him being aged up."
    Er, where, Mr. Taylor? Everything I see about it, are mostly made up of fans that want him de-aged. That want the real Jon back. Going so far as to write fanfics about undoing the age-up. Or outright ignoring it altogether.
    I wouldn’t say come around….. but I can see the descion is final. Once teen Jon is animated holding hands with brainiac it will produce a fandom that really does love teen Jon.

Incredible Member

Maybe someone should make an appreciation thread for young Jon so the haters can go there?

I've always really disliked what the word "hater" has become. It always sounds like a mean spirited attempt at suggesting that a person's reason for disliking something doesn't live up to some arbitrary standard of validity.

But, in this case...yeah I'll gladly take that moniker. I don't think I've ever hated a comic book character more than I hate this current Jon. He is a very rare example of me hating a character that I don't even think is bad. Because he's honestly not. Blander than a clear lego brick? Yeah. Every bit as white bread and boring as people often describe Clark as being? Ohohoho hell yeah! But I've never really found him to be a character who lacked the potential to be interesting. If he wasn't so heavily connected to two characters that I actually do love, I wouldn't even care enough about him to like or hate him (which is actually really bad because I've always loved legacy characters)

I just hate him because he's the reason I no longer have a character who I found to be one of the biggest breaths of fresh air in comics since the Runaways. And despite taking that fresh air away, he offers up nothing of value to replace it with. Granted, that's happened before. It's one of the reasons I initially disliked the younger version of Cable. Though I could get over that since he wound up being pretty cool...eventually. But this time? Nah, I've tried to and I just can't let it go. Just looking at the current Jon still gets me annoyed. The fact that it happened to the character who got me reading non-Batman DC books again just made this particular instance one that I can't really stop bitching about. Even if I'm well aware of how futile my complaints are. There's also just the overall sense of marketability taking precedence over unique or compelling stories that have always irked me about comics and it is so PAINFLLY present in what's happened to Jon over the past few years.

And I honestly have no doubt that, even if Jon had been allowed to grow up the right way, he'd still probably end up being this shallow and super corporate attempt at recreating Clark for the hip, younger readers. Because creativity was clearly never the name of the game with this character if being Superman was the intent from the start. But damn it, I'd have at least gotten WAY more of the fun parts of his life before he inevitably succumbed to one of my least favorite fates for legacy characters.
    Last edited by Blue22; 12-24-2021 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinism View Post
    Maybe someone should make an appreciation thread for young Jon so the haters can go there?
    Jon Kent: Son of Superman Appreciation Thread 2022

and

Jon Kent: Son of Kal-El Appreciation Thread 2022

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    I've always really disliked what the word "hater" has become. It always sounds like a mean spirited attempt at suggesting that a person's reason for disliking something doesn't live up to some arbitrary standard of validity.

But, in this case...yeah I'll gladly take that moniker. I don't think I've ever hated a comic book character more than I hate this current Jon. He is a very rare example of me hating a character that I don't even think is bad. Because he's honestly not. Blander than a clear lego brick? Yeah. Every bit as white bread and boring as people often describe Clark as being? Ohohoho hell yeah! But I've never really found him to be a character who lacked the potential to be interesting. If he wasn't so heavily connected to two characters that I actually do love, I wouldn't even care enough about him to like or hate him (which is actually really bad because I've always loved legacy characters)

I just hate him because he's the reason I no longer have a character who I found to be one of the biggest breaths of fresh air in comics since the Runaways. And despite taking that fresh air away, he offers up nothing of value to replace it with. Granted, that's happened before. It's one of the reasons I initially disliked the younger version of Cable. Though I could get over that since he wound up being pretty cool...eventually. But this time? Nah, I've tried to and I just can't let it go. Just looking at the current Jon still gets me annoyed. The fact that it happened to the character who got me reading non-Batman DC books again just made this particular instance one that I can't really stop bitching about. Even if I'm well aware of how futile my complaints are. There's also just the overall sense of marketability taking precedence over unique or compelling stories that have always irked me about comics and it is so PAINFLLY present in what's happened to Jon over the past few years.

And I honestly have no doubt that, even if Jon had been allowed to grow up the right way, he'd still probably end up being this shallow and super corporate attempt at recreating Clark for the hip, younger readers. Because creativity was clearly never the name of the game with this character if being Superman was the intent from the start. But damn it, I'd have at least gotten WAY more of the fun parts of his life before he inevitably succumbed to one of my least favorite fates for legacy characters.
    Dude,we haven't even had one good run with the character.He was a support in legion .even then if it weren't for the bendis dialogues,humor..etc there were some great scifi concepts there and ideas there.

As for white bread,well yeah! fans think and see Superman as that.Expect that from the character.It's gonna be a long long time till that goes away.Remember writers where fans first."Taylor is the pinnacle of superman is white bread" writing no matter which superman is he is writing.There are tons of other writers that did good with the character like that issue with shazam and even future state.

Do you realise both character's i loved as superman are gone?new52 jeans and T-shirt guy,the original superman..This is an appreciation thread.I have made mistakes and critiqued characters in appreciation thread myself.But,people should be appreciating the character or version they like here or discuss it.I don't care if it is jon from the show or teen jon or flying squirrel jon kent or old man jon kent or baby jon.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-24-2021 at 08:04 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Dude,we haven't even had one good run with the character.He was a support in legion .even then if it weren't for the bendis dialogues,humor..etc there were some great scifi concepts there and ideas there.
    We've had four years of the character and so far I've personally found him to be a whole lot of nothing in everything where he's supposed to have been a star player. Whether it was the issues in Bendis' Superman where he was front in center, or the issues in Legion that focused on him, he's just been...bland. Though, as much as it pains me to admit it, I actually think he was a lot more interesting under Bendis than he has been with Taylor, and especially PKJ.

As for white bread,well yeah! fans think and see Superman as that.Expect that from the character.It's gonna be a long long time till that goes away.Remember writers where fans first."Taylor is the pinnacle of superman is white bread" writing no matter which superman is he is writing.
    And that's not good. It just has Jon fitting another character's mold. It makes his existence feel pointless. Why bother with him if he's just gonna be the same ole Superman that his dad is? Him being different in supplementary material like Future State (where he did feel different, but I still found him to be mostly unlikable) doesn't really change the fact that I think he sucks in his main books. The books that he'd be featured more prominently in.

This is an appreciation thread.I have made mistakes and critiqued characters in appreciation thread myself.
    Oh don't worry, I do my fair share of appreciating the real Jon in this thread too. But I'm also a bitter mother fucker so I tend to also show my appreciation by mourning what could have been -___-

But,people should be appreciating the character or version they like here or discuss it.I don't care if it is jon from the show or teen jon or flying squirrel jon kent or old man jon kent or baby jon.
    And I would never discourage anyone from appreciating any version of Jon. Which I have also said many times.

I may use this thread to vent about the loss of something I liked about the character, but I am still happy for anyone who's not as bothered by the massive shift in his trajectory. For me, it's ALMOST as great a pain as when I lost the Teen Titans to the New 52 (thank God that was undone). But that doesn't mean I'm not aware of what that era meant for fans who enjoyed it. I'mma never pass up a chance to **** talk it, but I still got mad respect for the fans lol

All that said, I suppose I might as well share this, in the spirit of both Christmas and appreciation:

https://twitter.com/potato_pinetree/...758026/photo/1
    Last edited by Blue22; 12-24-2021 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post

And that's not good. It just has Jon fitting another character's mold. It makes his existence feel pointless. Why bother with him if he's just gonna be the same ole Superman that his dad is? Him being different in supplementary material like Future State (where he did feel different, but I still found him to be mostly unlikable) doesn't really change the fact that I think he sucks in his main books. The books that he'd be featured more prominently in.
    There is a not what you are getting.there is no other characters mold.Clark,jon,conner..etc are same characters.Just like all the robins are the same..They just give different coat of paints or don't.it doesn't matter.For the people in general and the company.They are the same franchise.Even antithetical variant colours like a damian or jason todd or conner would becomes dick grayson or clark kent.Conner started living in a farm.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-24-2021 at 09:46 PM.

My issue with current Jon now is he's bland as sandpaper & liking boys & girls does not change that, he has no distinctive personality traits even in the live action he plays second fiddle to some random twin who stole his whole legacy, & he even lacks the Bi of it all cause his actor is scared to kiss a dude, he has nothing it doesn't matter how many tongues he sucks, how many whales he saves he's the Tim Drake of the Superfamily only relevant when tied to someone else this mini Clark sh*t is boring give him some spice some flavor something.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    My issue with current Jon now is he's bland as sandpaper & liking boys & girls does not change that, he has no distinctive personality traits even in the live action he plays second fiddle to some random twin who stole his whole legacy, & he even lacks the Bi of it all cause his actor is scared to kiss a dude, he has nothing it doesn't matter how many tongues he sucks, how many whales he saves he's the Tim Drake of the Superfamily only relevant when tied to someone else this mini Clark sh*t is boring give him some spice some flavor something.
    You do know that kara is female clark(Heck!lois for me tends to be that sometimes)?right?I have a problem with superman the character's personality.I like certain iterations of the character sure enough.Anything that matches that i tend enjoy for example young justice conner for the most part.My ideal would be goldenage superman (for the most part).So me saying that would be understandable.So,do you not like clark's personality?Then that complaint would make sense.
    The idea of legacy itself is to create a "New" version or "Mini" version of a previous character,Same as a reboot.

Happy Holidays .
    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    You do know that kara is female clark(Heck!lois for me tends to be that sometimes)?right?I have a problem with superman the character's personality.I like certain iterations of the character sure enough.Anything that matches that i tend enjoy for example young justice conner for the most part.My ideal would be goldenage superman (for the most part).So me saying that would be understandable.So,do you not like clark's personality?Then that complaint would make sense.
    The idea of legacy itself is to create a "New" version or "Mini" version of a previous character,Same as a reboot.
    If they're written correctly, they shouldn't be.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    If they're written correctly, they shouldn't be.
    Lois certainly shouldn't be.Kara?i don't know.i am saying the correctness is a preference.from the company's persepective or many normies perspective.Supergirl is female superman.
    On the flipside,a silver lining is that krypto is dog superman.So,i got my wish of a superman with personality since the rock is krypto.Woof!woof!