Page 52 of 91 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast

Jon on the Justice League is going to be so cool. Well, I could see him joining the Teen Titans too. Can't wait!

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    Meeting a girl at school is like the most natural thing. What's your problem with it?
    you're right, there's nothing wrong in Jon dating girls at school But I didn't like jon and saturn Girl together I think this is influencing me in not wanting a love interest for Jon,

Quote Originally Posted by Betinayen View Post
    you're right, there's nothing wrong in Jon dating girls at school But I didn't like jon and saturn Girl together I think this is influencing me in not wanting a love interest for Jon,
    I agree, "Jon" and "love interest" being in the same sentence is an immediate red flag for me.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Yes,while part of that is true.but,he also wanted to be part of the larger hero community.

I don't think so.Jon was in the mess because the hero community in the first place.From the get go he was treated with prejudice(ww and batman arriving at Clark's doorsteps with glowing eyes).
    Well, that's a gross interpretation of that scene if I ever saw one. Clark himself stated Batman and Wonder Woman were checking on him, not Jon, because lest we forget those were their New 52 versions talking to the post-Crisis version of their dead colleague. However, their conversation was seen from Jon's perspective, so of course Bruce and Diana would look scary and menacing, especially when their conversation took place at night, so their faces would be covered in shadow. For a brief period, the Kents were strangers in a strange land, so everything they say and do is tinged with wariness until they were ultimately accepted without much fuss.

These guys tried to kill him(half of the titans).They fought with each other like idiots.Then when he was overwhelmed by seeing his dad being attacked and went nuclear.Some of them helped.Regardless of the titans reasons.He was rejected.Again.Ofcourse that's gonna have impact.
    I would think being accused of being the cause of the deaths of millions of people in the future and being hunted by an alternate universe version of your best friend's older brother would have much more of an impact than not being allowed to join the Teen Titans. Being rejected stings, but I think he would've gotten over it in a few days, if that.

I think jon would have learned that Damian wayne is a friend that will stick with you no matter what.The hero community?whatever.We got clark being a jackass to damian afterwards the only guy who stood by him.
    Clark was being a father, disciplining his son and best friend. And not every encounter with the larger superhero community is going to be the one to make or break one's relationship with it. I think Jon's relationship to the community in the story was a net positive.

No way the rejection didn't sting the kid.that too over and over again..I think legion fit it in well from where we left of jon.
    They couldn't even get him to watch an orientation video.

They walked past freaking clark kent superman for jon kent.
    Because Bendis made them do that.

They wanted him and accepted him...The idea was neat..Jon became the silverage superboy with his solitude and loneliness.Which found an outlet in the legion.
    I'm just speaking personally now, but I don't get the obsession with Silver Age Superman and wanting to transplant what I feel are out-dated ideas on to Jon just so we have more Silver Age stuff and not because it may or may not be actually applicable to Jon. But that's just me, though. Everyone can want different things out of their comics.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Betinayen View Post
    The Saturn Girl romance frustrates me more than anything because conceptually I like it a lot.

It's a doomed romance where they attraction is going both ways is built off "holy sh!t, they're HOT". Like, after their first kiss, they spend most of the time after making out, and the other teammates notice, and start to quest if Jon was brought here just so Saturn Girl could make out with him. And that's so genuinely honest a doofy that I can't help but love it. In a sea of comic romances that are built up as "The One" or "love at first sight" or "they share a special bond" or some other Twilight sh!t, this is literally just "we're 17, horny, and look like super models"

It's so of this generation in such a potentially fun way. There are so many got damn dating apps that are used mostly for hook ups that I find it kind of crazy that a comic book author writing a book about teens and 20 somethings would think to ONLY do relationships that tick off some sort of Twilight box.

And the conceptual cheery on top of their relationship is the fact that she CAN'T have a future with Jon, and she knows it. He's history to her, and she's unwritten to him. Like so many young romances they're ships passing in the night, and their short time will be more about enjoying the moment than worrying about the future.

Legion should've leaned way more into this stuff. But as it is, it's just the implication of all of this rather than anything else, and that's a shame.

Like, I would have loved to have seen the break up of not a "is she the one romance" but rather a "yeah, she's pretty cool" romance written on the Superman scale.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    The Saturn Girl romance frustrates me more than anything because conceptually I like it a lot.

It's a doomed romance where they attraction is going both ways is built off "holy sh!t, they're HOT". Like, after their first kiss, they spend most of the time after making out, and the other teammates notice, and start to quest if Jon was brought here just so Saturn Girl could make out with him. And that's so genuinely honest a doofy that I can't help but love it. In a sea of comic romances that are built up as "The One" or "love at first sight" or "they share a special bond" or some other Twilight sh!t, this is literally just "we're 17, horny, and look like super models"

It's so of this generation in such a potentially fun way. There are so many got damn dating apps that are used mostly for hook ups that I find it kind of crazy that a comic book author writing a book about teens and 20 somethings would think to ONLY do relationships that tick off some sort of Twilight box.

And the conceptual cheery on top of their relationship is the fact that she CAN'T have a future with Jon, and she knows it. He's history to her, and she's unwritten to him. Like so many young romances they're ships passing in the night, and their short time will be more about enjoying the moment than worrying about the future.

Legion should've leaned way more into this stuff. But as it is, it's just the implication of all of this rather than anything else, and that's a shame.

Like, I would have loved to have seen the break up of not a "is she the one romance" but rather a "yeah, she's pretty cool" romance written on the Superman scale.
    I feel that sums up a lot of the newer romances Bendis has written in the past few years...

You know I was listening to a review of Superman: son of kal-el by Comics from the Multiverse where they brought up a difference between Jon and Clark in how they act at their respective ages. Clark is initially more reserved in how he acts because essentially he’s a first generation immigrant, he’s not native of earth and wishes that they do not fear him so that he can be accepted. Whereas Jon is second generation and as such was born of earth, is at home there, and genuinely feels more bold in his actions because of his natural born citizenship of the planet earth.

Not sure how great an analogy that is but I found it to be interesting.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel that sums up a lot of the newer romances Bendis has written in the past few years...
    Ultimately what's wrong with that? Especially if you're aimed at teens and young adults?

This is the age of the dating app, the destigmatization of the sexually forward women, and normalizing of the casual relationship. Why can't two superheroes date because they're hot with no need for further pontificating or embellishing? It mixes that feeling you got when you where a kid creating stories where one toy from this show you liked dated another toy from this show you liked just because you thought they looked good together with the reality of youth culture. I don't know about y'all, but in house Goku dated Zelda for nearly 3 play sessions before I switched it up.

Bendis' only issue when it comes to this as far as I'm concerned is the lack of space he gave it, and how he wasn't more direct with this being the intent.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    You know I was listening to a review of Superman: son of kal-el by Comics from the Multiverse where they brought up a difference between Jon and Clark in how they act at their respective ages. Clark is initially more reserved in how he acts because essentially he’s a first generation immigrant, he’s not native of earth and wishes that they do not fear him so that he can be accepted. Whereas Jon is second generation and as such was born of earth, is at home there, and genuinely feels more bold in his actions because of his natural born citizenship of the planet earth.

Not sure how great an analogy that is but I found it to be interesting.
    Heh, I just touched on this over on the SoKE thread, but yes I definitely agree with the analogy!

Jon on the Justice League is going to be so cool. Well, I could see him joining the Teen Titans too. Can't wait!
    Superman on the Teen Titans feels like cheating somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by oneveryfineday View Post
    Superman on the Teen Titans feels like cheating somehow.
    Teen Superman for a teenage team isn't cheating, just cool.

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

Teen Superman for a teenage team isn't cheating, just cool.
    If Jon gets severely nerfed I guess (kid is more powerful than his dad), but I suppose Superman getting nerfed to fit on teams isn’t anything new lol

Quote Originally Posted by oneveryfineday View Post
    If Jon gets severely nerfed I guess (kid is more powerful than his dad), but I suppose Superman getting nerfed to fit on teams isn’t anything new lol
    I dunno, Jon being stronger than his dad is kinda ignored unless it's him pulling out a new variation of a power. I don't think they'd really have to change much.

Chances seem very, very good-- if not assured that he's joining the Justice League.

Plus, the Teen Titans are no long just a team of, well, teens. It's a full on academy/school where the kids live. Jon's going to college and working with The Truth. Likely no time nor need for "Mr. Stones" combat class.

Whereas the JL is already something Jon's being a part of in Future State, and Naomi (also 17) is part of it. Plus, Clark's leaving.

Chances seem very, very good-- if not assured that he's joining the Justice League.

Plus, the Teen Titans are no long just a team of, well, teens. It's a full on academy/school where the kids live. Jon's going to college and working with The Truth. Likely no time nor need for "Mr. Stones" combat class.

Whereas the JL is already something Jon's being a part of in Future State, and Naomi (also 17) is part of it. Plus, Clark's leaving.
    Yeah. I'd prefer Jon's generation get a whole new team, though. Him working with Bruce would feel weird.

Also I’m sure that Sheridan would prefer to focus on his own Supermen that he already has at Titans Academy, Matt Price and Shazam.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.